• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry may have saved her life

groats

imported post

ixtow wrote:
You didn't get her name, Mr. Hero Man? I'm willing to bet the messages came from her boyfriend's phone, which is why she was in no hurry to report it...

...if it even happened.
I see 2 possibilities here:
1. It happened essentially as described, so you're treading very close to libel.
2. It didn't happen - in which case you're wasting your talents.
I happen to know that right in your very town there is a large building just filled with such false tales. You should put your efforts toward eliminating that. Ask your librarian to direct you to the 'fiction' department.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bikenut wrote:
Let me get this straight...

A woman gets text messages on her phone... In order to receive a text message from someone that someone sending the text must have the number of the phone they are texting to. So how could a stranger from a number the woman didn't recognize just up and send a text to the woman's phone a stranger wouldn't know the number to so they could say they were observing the person with the phone they wouldn't know the number to?

The woman is so upset over a text message she screams... Really? Screams? Because someone is watching her? Seems to be an over the top reaction?

The woman then runs to you asking of you are alone... Why would she ask that? Wouldn't she simply ask for help? Why the emphasis on whether or not you are alone?

My opinion....

One of two things... either the woman (and perhaps her friend hiding in the bushes) had nefarious plans for you if you had been alone or...

This story is BS.

Not at all. Happened to an old friend of mine from high school. Turns out her ex-husband's ex-girlfriend (with whom she used to be friends) went "stalking through the park one day!" (jingle-jangle) It really freaked her out, too, but she took her phone to the police and showed them the text messages. Their cyber-crimes unit swung into gear, obtained a warrent for harrassment, then the girl's number, name, and address, before arresting her.

She read some of them to me: "C u wlk nxt 2 statue" then "now by fntn" (fountain) But that's not what got the LEOs attention. It was subsequent comments like "ull die vry soon."

As for the question about him being alone, perhaps she wanted to make sure he was capable of combatting a stalker.

However, I, too wondered about the woman's lack of transportation... "Where's your car, Ma'am?" "Then how did you get here?" might be two good questions to ask before allowing her to get into your car.

Guys, we might be larger and stronger, on average, than women, but trust me on this one that I know some fairly petite ladies who can kick my butt six ways to Sunday and show up to church smelling like a rose. Bobcats only weigh about 15 to 30 pounds, but I would never willingly tangle with one. Heck, your average really pissed-off housecat can give humans a rough time!

A well-trained, 140 lb human female can kill you deader than a doornail with her bare hands before you know what hit you.

Then again, so can I (my gun's only for show... "ahem")

Disregard last - sheer bravado.

CharleyMarbles

imported post

golightly00 wrote:
Thanks, we have to take care of ourselves and others. The police have no constitutional or legal obligation to protect us, we are on our own, and should always have the tools to protect those who cannot protect themselves. We, as firearm owners, are the first and last line of defense. Only 750,000 police nationally, 200,000,000 firearm owners nationally. WE are the defenders of freedom, liberty, and life.
I totaly agree but what about us convicted felons who are FORCED to rely on those Police to defend us with absolutly as you pointed out NO recorse if they are late to the incident? Just asking ???