• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Openly Carrying a Long Arm

Bailenforcer

imported post

PilotPTK wrote:
I'm playing fill in Sargent at Arms for a moment..

The management of this website (opencarry.org) has requested that we not discuss long-gun OC here. Being that this website belongs to them (their private property, essentially) - I respectfully request that the long-gun topics be dropped.

Weather you agree, disagree or have no opinion on long gun carry, it is irrelevant here. We are in the home of another (while on this website) and we must respect their wishes.

Any discussion of long gun carry, plans for long gun carry events, etc should be taken off of this site from here on out.
Done

UCWT

imported post

PilotPTK wrote:

The management of this website (opencarry.org) has requested that we not discuss long-gun OC here. Being that this website belongs to them (their private property, essentially) - I respectfully request that the long-gun topics be dropped.

Weather you agree, disagree or have no opinion on long gun carry, it is irrelevant here. We are in the home of another (while on this website) and we must respect their wishes.

Any discussion of long gun carry, plans for long gun carry events, etc should be taken off of this site from here on out.

PSSSST! http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/37570.html
just in case you missed this one....

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You gotta' love hypocrisy.

Suppress any dissension.
If someone disagrees with you on a legitimate topic, ban the topic.

I have lost a great deal of respect for a portion of this community.

Hypocrites and censorists. You know who you are.

G

imported post

PilotPTK wrote:

I call BS

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

HankT wrote:
Evil Creamsicle wrote:
EM87 wrote:
We could do it soon, perhaps Sunday, February 14.

Or we could wait until it warms up a bit, maybe Sunday, March 14.

We'll decide where to do it after when.

Either way, I see this as a stroll around town during the early afternoon hours.

Let's take votes. Feb. 14 or March 14?
March. I have more say over when I have days off if its a month in advance.

Seems like this issue would have some importance. And would be done sooner rather than later.

OTOH, this is a typical stage of most (all?) group OC march planning. It's called the stalling stage.

The march date gets discussed, objected to, set, changed, postponed, ..... reset....then it never happens.

Good luck if youse guys actually do march (sorry, "stroll.")

But I'll believe it when I see it.
Hey asshole,
Making a living is pretty important too, wouldn't you say?

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

Bailenforcer wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:
dang wardog, you sound like a cop!

There has been a problem with personal attacks on this site, plaese dont go there.
He sounds like someone who has common sense and uses it.
Sure we have the right, and use it within reason. With rights there comes responsibilities as well. It seems to me dropping by Dunkin Doughnuts and slapping my M-4 carbine on the counter while I have a French Cruller might border on stupidity.

Pushing limits and Extreme things are for teen aged little boys with more bravado than common sense.

Have I carried a M-4 with me open? yes I have in my car while working, I didn't carry it slung over my shoulder at the Coney Island I stopped at each night for a Chili dog either. It stayed in my vehicle with my 134 pound German Shepard with an attitude problem. I measure what I do with thought and foresight, I wish others would as well.
Speaking of common sense...

Unless that M-4 is registered as a pistol in Michigan, it has to be unloaded in the trunk to be legally transported in a car :?

EM87

imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
Bailenforcer wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:

There has been a problem with personal attacks on this site, plaese dont go there.
Sure we have the right, and use it within reason. With rights there comes responsibilities as well. It seems to me dropping by Dunkin Doughnuts and slapping my M-4 carbine on the counter while I have a French Cruller might border on stupidity.

Pushing limits and Extreme things are for teen aged little boys with more bravado than common sense.

Have I carried a M-4 with me open? yes I have in my car while working, I didn't carry it slung over my shoulder at the Coney Island I stopped at each night for a Chili dog either. It stayed in my vehicle with my 134 pound German Shepard with an attitude problem. I measure what I do with thought and foresight, I wish others would as well.

Unless that M-4 is registered as a pistol in Michigan, it has to be unloaded in the trunk to be legally transported in a car :?

Check the long gun transport law. It doesn't have to be in the trunk. (Can't remember the MCL at the moment.)

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

EM87 wrote:
Evil Creamsicle wrote:
Bailenforcer wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:

Check the long gun transport law. It doesn't have to be in the trunk. (Can't remember the MCL at the moment.)

PS, that came across meaner than I meant it to, this was just me going "wait a minute, didn't I read somewhere that..."

I didn't think longguns were part of the CPL statute... don't they have to be 'cased, unloaded, and inaccessable to the driver' ?

I'm just raising the question because I don't want anyone busted...

EM87

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:

Thanks for the link!

Here's the long gun transport law:

750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel; conditions; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 227d.

(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:

(a) Taken down.

(b) Enclosed in a case.

(c) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.

(d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.

(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(m0k30m55zafkc155tohytu45))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-227d

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Thats what I thought too. But what about on foot? Hunting seasons, hunting areas, licences, etc. How do handguns come into play in these areas. With or without permits, and open vs. conceald?

And they say we shouldnt discuss this.

I (think) that with a permit you can conceal or OC anywhere, [28.425o]but Im not sure about while hunting, or if you are unaware of, or accused of being in an area where one might hunt.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

I'm working and don't have time to look up the MCL right now [sorry] but I do know that it was ruled that handguns carried for self defense do not fall subject to regulations on hunting guns.

Meaning, your shotgun or rifle has to meet hunting ordinances, such as being limited to five shots in semi autos, but your defense handgun, even if carried while hunting, does not.

SlowDog

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
Just trying to lighten up the conversation a little. I'm sorry I have a sense of humor. I'll go hide in my hole now. TTYL
I like your Mossy. It points real nice. Makes a certain person look intimidating when she carries it.:uhoh::uhoh: hehehehe. She's gonna kill me for sayin that.:quirky:quirky:lol::lol:

Taurus850CIA

imported post

SlowDog wrote:
Taurus850CIA wrote: I like your Mossy. It points real nice. Makes a certain person look intimidating when she carries it.:uhoh::uhoh: hehehehe. She's gonna kill me for sayin that.:quirky:quirky:lol::lol:
...and she carries it with the shot barrel. Just think how she'd look with the short barrel/scope. Of course, she seems to have some major intimidation factor no matter what she's carrying...:quirky

When I bought it, it came with several shims to adjust the stock. I used the one that dropped the butt end of the stock the most. It made a big difference in how it points.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Folks - as many have asked, John and I have formally updated our main page to clarify the focus of OpenCarry.org: "A pro-gun Internet community focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life."

Long gun carry is a great topic for some folks to look into but distracts from our organizational focus here - generally in the law of carry rght now we have major restrictions on the right to open or conceal carry handguns in many states - and generally the law of long gun carry is much less restrictive - and for long guns the issue is mainly just "carry" generally, as concealed carry of long guns is not practical or in some cases possible anyway.

Please note - NEW RULE - #11:

11) This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. Do not start OFF TOPIC threads or discussions such aspromoting the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the folks on this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.