• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Opinions on why or why not open carry is good???

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
I like OC over CC because CC is generally uncomfortable for me. When I carry openly, I have no discomfort, but with concealed carry it's always having some piece of metal lodged into your side or a jacket in hot weather.

However, the biggest reason not to OC is the police.They detain you at inopportune times for long durations, display complete ignorance and indifference to the law, endanger lives unnecessarily by pointing deadly weapons, and I'm afraid one day they will arrest me on a bogus charge and take away my freedom.

Also, by being on their bad side, chances are that laws are enforced a lot more strictly against you where someone who was not on their bad side might get a warning or even be ignored.

sultan62

Americans afraid to engage in legal activities because of what the police might do to them because they are engaged in legal activities. Pretty sad state of affairs that is only going to get worse if we don't stand up and say something/exercise our rights.

Amen.

hogeaterf6

Americans afraid to engage in legal activities because of what the police might do to them because they are engaged in legal activities. Pretty sad state of affairs that is only going to get worse if we don't stand up and say something/exercise our rights.

+2

William Fisher

my primary endearment to OC over CC is; in the summer, where exactly can i hide a full size .45 while wearing shorts, and a Led Zepplin t-shirt? seems like sooner or late all CC guns end up being at least partial OC.

thumbnail.aspx

WELL! Is that a gun or are ya glad to see the LEO?​

Gunslinger

If you live your life in fear of offending the authorities, you live it at the point of a gun. I'd rather be the one doing the pointing than the one being pointed at.

Dreamer

FACT: I have been OCing for over 3 years, and NEVER has a business been robbed, family member been attacked, or any sort of unlawful mayhem erupted in my immediate vicinity while I was OCing.

For instance, the Sheetz on 10th st. in Greenville has been the location of several incidents in the last few months--a gang fight, a stabbing, several robberies. But I OC there several ties a week, and NEVER has anything like this occurred while I was OCing there.

The few events of violence that I have been witness to or victim of (several bar fights, a few muggings, and an assault with a handgun at a hotel where I was working) ALL occurred when I was NOT OCing (I was either either NotC or CC).

Therefore, I have empirical proof based on real, verifiable situations that OC deters crime.

ET.

I agree that CCing because of a fear of how LEOs might treat an OCer is a very poor reason. I CC because I like the idea of others not knowing that I am armed. The element of surprise is worth something. I don't understand the attacks I've endured on other boards when I state that I CC most of the time. They say that I am endangering their 2nd amendment right (really the 2nd amendment only protects the right we already have). I view the act of carrying a gun, either OC or CC, as exercising my right. I am armed in both instances. I don't think that I have to display my gun to somehow solidify my right. Plus I don't think that hiding my gun somehow endangers those rights. To those who OC, that's great. For those of us who CC, well that should be seen as exercising our right to bear arms also. The notion that CCing somehow will cause us to lose our right to bear arms because others can't see our guns doesn't register with me.

The real attack on our right to bear arms will be when a conservative supreme court judge is replaced with a liberal judge We can only pray that Obama never gets the chance. We currently are one judge away from losing our right to bear arms. The last opinion was 5-4 in favor of our right to bear. When it becomes 5-4 against our right to bear then the fireworks will begin. We are that close to losing it. One judge, one ruling. It won't be because I CCed my gun today. It will be because a liberal president nominated a liberal judge & that same judge lied before congress when asked if he/she would side with the judges who think that the 2nd amendment only protects the rights of the government to bear arms to form a militia. They will lie to get confirmed then they will do whatever they choose to do once they are seated. They know there is no recourse to lying before the Senate during confirmation hearings. Sotomayor is the perfect example of this phenonemon.

Last edited:

hermannr

It has been my experience (at least with European tourists) just the opposite this guy says. They are interested in the weapon, they are interested in the method of carry, licensing, why it is legal, and "why can we not do that at home".

Firearms do not frighten tourists, at least the ones I have met. We had a young man from Germany as a private exchange student for a year, all he wanted to do was shoot, shoot and relaod and shoot some more. His parents (a high School History teacher and a High School PE teacher) we very willing to allow him the experience of target practice and he even went hunting wih us...My German cousins hunt and shoot at their club, but Jugi was from Berlin and never had the opportunity.

Because of Jogi, we met a lot of German tourists from Berlin, no a one questioned my OC, only how the US has laws that allow it. NOT ONE said anything about it might increase crime or it scared them. EVERY ONE of them thought it would make a criminal think twice before they caused you problems.

William Fisher

I know that pulling an openly carried handgun is a lot faster than pulling a jacket or shirt out of the way to pull a concealed handgun when a dog or other animal is charging at you.

Exactly! The two or three seconds saved can save your life, another civilian or an LEOs life.

OldCurlyWolf

It has been my experience (at least with European tourists) just the opposite this guy says. They are interested in the weapon, they are interested in the method of carry, licensing, why it is legal, and "why can we not do that at home".

Firearms do not frighten tourists, at least the ones I have met. We had a young man from Germany as a private exchange student for a year, all he wanted to do was shoot, shoot and relaod and shoot some more. His parents (a high School History teacher and a High School PE teacher) we very willing to allow him the experience of target practice and he even went hunting wih us...My German cousins hunt and shoot at their club, but Jugi was from Berlin and never had the opportunity.

Because of Jogi, we met a lot of German tourists from Berlin, no a one questioned my OC, only how the US has laws that allow it. NOT ONE said anything about it might increase crime or it scared them. EVERY ONE of them thought it would make a criminal think twice before they caused you problems.

I think it is in the Deutche genome. Show them a weapon and watch them salivate.:cool:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I think it is in the Deutche genome. Show them a weapon and watch them salivate.:cool:

Musta been a lot of that passed on by immigrants to this country. Just go on any American gun board, hunt up the picture threads, and read the comments. :D

By the way, I wonder how many other countries have gun forums?

since9

Campaign Veteran
Exactly! The two or three seconds saved can save your life, another civilian or an LEOs life.

I strongly suspect that's why the vast majority (perhaps all?) street/beat cops, as well as sheriffs and their deputies open carry.

As for the military side of national policy enforcement, we combat vets didn't CC. To us, the idea is absurd. First, with our uniforms, we didn't exactly blend in very well, so there's zero "surprise factor" to be gained by CCing, and a serious disadvantage with respect to speed. In fact, any time we were off base/post in Iraq, we were OCing, and quite a few times while inside the wire, as well, depending on our duties. Heading to chow if our mission was delayed due to maintenance or cargo issues was a mission-related duty. :)

We never CC'd. Ever.

If the element of surprise is the only factor in this mythical CC "tactical advantage" some folks keep talking about, then there's no tactical advantage at all for folks in uniform, so why bother?

For folks in civvies, however, I firmly believe whatever element of surprise might be gained is negated by the decline in ease and speed of accessibility.

The original reasons behind CC were limited to just two:

1. Stealthy access when someone was intent on committing a crime aka John Wilkes Booth. Most of today's criminals CC for this very reason.

2. Maintaining a reasonable degree of protection in situations where the carry of a firearm was either frowned on or prohibited. I employ this method regularly while attending the theater, church, outdoor concerts, and similar functions.

Somewhere along the way, the idea that it was somehow more tactically advantageous to CC crept in from somewhere, and I suspect that somewhere came from folks who were uncomfortable with the idea of firearms in general and who floated the idea with great-sounding, but tactically empty rhetoric.

A third reason for CC grew out of the need for LEOs working in or wading into dangerous situations while avoiding detection as LEOs. It doesn't work so well for citizens going about their business, though, as LEOs are heading towards the trouble, while citizens should be either standing their ground or moving away. If you're standing your ground, OC is more advantageous due to its deterrent factor. If you're moving away, who're the BG's gonna chase after first? The apparently unarmed CCer, or the obviously armed OCer?

Sonora Rebel

This whole argument is stupid. The Constitution doesn't specify mode of carry. No particular mode was intended. 'Doesn't mention 'guns' either... just 'arms' in general. Al;l this concealed stuff is simply because people are self concious 'bout carryin' a handgun. 'Ohhh... What will people say?' 'Ohhh... I might offend somebody.' If you're of that mindset... you shouldn't be armed anyway.

You put up with 'gun laws'... cause you allow yourselves to be subjugated by local tyranny. The Constitution is the supreme law of the land. Any 'law' not in agreement with the Constitution is illegitimate... 'n I don't care who says what. It's NOT! That goes for those of you tasked with law enforcement. You cannot enforce an illegal law (on your oath) and no court is bound to uphold it.

The traditional method of bearing arms thruout the centuries has been openly. Concealed weapons are the stuff of brigands, assassins and cowards. Y'all let yourselves get sucked into playing this 'permit game' as well... as that turns an actual pre-existing right into a privelidge... like driving a car. You need 'permission'. Rights do not require permission for a fee to exercise.

It's not a question of 'good'... it's not even a question. Either do it or don't.

Dreamer

The idea that in Colonial (and even pre-Colonial) times, the preferred mode of carry was open (and not concealed) is proving to be 100% bunkum. Archaeological finds are coming up with more and more "gentleman's pocket pistols" that were designed to be carried in the pocket of a man's coat--NOT openly in a holster.

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2010-11-13/story/st-augustine-team-finds-gun-amid-shipwreck

Damn those archaeologists, and the irrefutable proof of historical objects...

What are speculative historians and ivory-tower "Constitutional Scholars" to do when the actual OBJECTS from archaeological sites prove them to be utterly wrong?...

Last edited:

BaconMan

I will agree that criminals will not go after a person who is visibly armed. That is what makes OCing a good thing.....:dude:

Wolfgang1952

I’ve gotten to where I don’t care who I upset. If you don’t like me carrying my Piece out in the open get over it. Here Louisiana we have right to OPEN CARRY thanks to Section 1 Article 11 of the Louisiana State Constitution. I will not pay for a RIGHT.
We are getting to many cry babies in this Country, so afraid they are going to upset someone. When are we going to get tired of turning the other check and stand up for our rights? When is the NRA going to start standing up for the rest of us in the GUN world, not just CCers? If you want your total Gun Rights we need to start backing PRO GUN people to Congress and to be President. Sorry for the rant. Yes this is me on my main mode of transportation.

003.jpg

KBCraig

Yes this is me on my main mode of transportation.
Nice Valk.

A co-worker had one painted in a perfect P-47 "Flying Tigers" pattern. I commented about the irony of a Japanese bike painted in Flying Tigers colors, and he busted out laughing. "I've been riding this for years, and you're the ONLY one who ever got the joke!"

icon6.png

FTG-05

I’ve gotten to where I don’t care who I upset. If you don’t like me carrying my Piece out in the open get over it. Here Louisiana we have right to OPEN CARRY thanks to Section 1 Article 11 of the Louisiana State Constitution. I will not pay for a RIGHT.
We are getting to many cry babies in this Country, so afraid they are going to upset someone. When are we going to get tired of turning the other check and stand up for our rights? When is the NRA going to start standing up for the rest of us in the GUN world, not just CCers? If you want your total Gun Rights we need to start backing PRO GUN people to Congress and to be President. Sorry for the rant. Yes this is me on my main mode of transportation.

003.jpg

[thread hijack]

More pics of the gun and holster, please!

[/thread hijack]

I'm getting ready to OC in my city, I'm going to start by carrying around the neighborhood on my daily evening walks with the wifey unit. Baby steps, man, baby steps....