• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Opinions on why or why not open carry is good???

hogeaterf6

I’ve gotten to where I don’t care who I upset. If you don’t like me carrying my Piece out in the open get over it. Here Louisiana we have right to OPEN CARRY thanks to Section 1 Article 11 of the Louisiana State Constitution. I will not pay for a RIGHT.
We are getting to many cry babies in this Country, so afraid they are going to upset someone. When are we going to get tired of turning the other check and stand up for our rights? When is the NRA going to start standing up for the rest of us in the GUN world, not just CCers? If you want your total Gun Rights we need to start backing PRO GUN people to Congress and to be President. Sorry for the rant. Yes this is me on my main mode of transportation.

003.jpg

Gotta love the Valk and a 6 shooter. Thats a good pic, you should post that on the VRCC site. :)

Wolfgang1952

KBCraig@ Thanks I love it. It’s a 98 Standard with a little work. Pushing 180K miles on her now. Buy the way The Flying Tigers flue P40Bs not P47s.

FTG 05@ Here are some more pics of my Type II Richards 1861 Colt Navy conversion.

Hogeater F6@ Got to love the six shooters.

Some more pictures of me and my normal dress.

006a.jpg

008a1.jpg

014a.jpg

017A.jpg

Sonora Rebel

The idea that in Colonial (and even pre-Colonial) times, the preferred mode of carry was open (and not concealed) is proving to be 100% bunkum. Archaeological finds are coming up with more and more "gentleman's pocket pistols" that were designed to be carried in the pocket of a man's coat--NOT openly in a holster.

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2010-11-13/story/st-augustine-team-finds-gun-amid-shipwreck

Damn those archaeologists, and the irrefutable proof of historical objects...

What are speculative historians and ivory-tower "Constitutional Scholars" to do when the actual OBJECTS from archaeological sites prove them to be utterly wrong?...

I have no idea what proof there is in the discovery of a pocket pistol in a shipwreck. I suppose mouse guns of some type have existed since the flintlock was invented. Holsters were not 'invented' until the advent of the repeating pistol. Pistols were carried in the belt... sometimes several at a time. The primary weapons of the 16th-18th century were the dirk and hanger... both carried openly. Re-examine your historical knowledge and powers of deductive reasoning. They're shaky.

Badger Johnson

I think OC is great and if I did not have to walk with a cane at times, I would OC.

I do think it depends on having a good retention holster. Wearing an open holster, as Wolfgang has would not be a method I would choose, but it obviously works for him.

My partner often uses an Uncle Mike's IWB holster under her belt in the 5:00 position and in an OC position, it would be easy for the gun to fall out or for someone to take it out.

We live in a gated community where the old biddies call up and complain if we ride bikes around the main road, claiming we scare them when they are trying to back out of the driveway and we ride by about ten car lengths away(!), so I don't think it would be good to OC in the yard or in the development, and have to field complaints about giving people heart attacks when seeing gunz.

I suggested to her we try a graded regime, carrying an airsoft gun in the yard and see if anyone says anything. If not, maybe move to an OC while gardening. Sounds cowardly and it is, but these people get angry if you plant the 'wrong kind of flowers', lol.

William Fisher

I think OC is great and if I did not have to walk with a cane at times, I would OC.

I do think it depends on having a good retention holster. Wearing an open holster, as Wolfgang has would not be a method I would choose, but it obviously works for him.

My partner often uses an Uncle Mike's IWB holster under her belt in the 5:00 position and in an OC position, it would be easy for the gun to fall out or for someone to take it out.

We live in a gated community where the old biddies call up and complain if we ride bikes around the main road, claiming we scare them when they are trying to back out of the driveway and we ride by about ten car lengths away(!), so I don't think it would be good to OC in the yard or in the development, and have to field complaints about giving people heart attacks when seeing gunz.

I suggested to her we try a graded regime, carrying an airsoft gun in the yard and see if anyone says anything. If not, maybe move to an OC while gardening. Sounds cowardly and it is, but these people get angry if you plant the 'wrong kind of flowers', lol.

Marijuana ain't flowers....................:lol:....... JUST KIDING.

TheLittleMan

Americans afraid to engage in legal activities because of what the police might do to them because they are engaged in legal activities. Pretty sad state of affairs that is only going to get worse if we don't stand up and say something/exercise our rights.

I agree completely, Crooked and/or ignorant Cops and uneducated Common people need to realize that these rights exist for a reason and we choose to flex them.

okboomer

[IMG said:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png[/IMG] Originally Posted by jeeper1 I know that pulling an openly carried handgun is a lot faster than pulling a jacket or shirt out of the way to pull a concealed handgun when a dog or other animal is charging at you.

Exactly! The two or three seconds saved can save your life, another civilian or an LEOs life.

Not in my experience, but then, I did take the extra step of professional training.

Aknazer

Not in my experience, but then, I did take the extra step of professional training.

It "CAN" save your life. That doesn't mean that they will save your life or that they will be needed to save your life since every situation and person is different. It simply means that in a situation where every second counts that extra time of moving your clothes out of the way to draw your weapon "could" be what gets you killed.

DinFreemont

Well it looks as if Maj. Norm Belson (Ret) has some points made from ignorance.

Here is the study:

http://www.pdsdc.org/Resources/SLD/Violent%20Encounters,%20A%20Study%20of%20Felonious%20Assaults%20on%20Our%20Nation's%20Law%20Enforcement%20Officers%20by%20DOJ.pdf

And the overview:

http://www.forcesciencenews.com/home/detail.html?serial=62

As noted by others...

I am not a proponent of the recent effort to approve 'Open Carry' in Florida by those almost 800,000 persons with Concealed Weapon Permits (CWP).

I feel this is problematic, the typical “gun owner/gun -sometimes- rights” set of arguments that rights come from the government. A problem indeed.

I feel no need to get “permission” from any “government” for that same set of rights - I can carry or not... that is the problem, a “right” regulated by payment and certification is quite easily denied or revoked at the stroke of a pen.

I OC in my home state of Colorado because I will not beg for the “right” to get a "license or permit” for something that is enumerated as a extra-governmental "inherent right of the people.”

Please note I am adding to SM remarks and using double quotations to keep them separate.

1. Florida is a major tourist attraction and a large portion of our tourist revenue comes from overseas and out of state visitors who may reside in countries and states where firearms are considered exceedingly dangerous and unsavory. I remember the reaction in the local and national as well as overseas media when SB 436, Protection of Persons & Property Law, commonly referred as "Stand Your Ground' rule, was enacted October 1, 2005. How many of you saw signs on the interstate highways warning travelers of the need to be polite to Floridians because you may be shot if you were not?

Hogwash and horse-hockey! If tourists are so easily frightened by the mere sight of an American walking around with an openly carried handgun, then think of how they must feel when seeing other Americans wearing baggy/droopy jeans and their underwear showing, or other Americans wearing heavily ironed/starched untucked sports shirts with only the top two buttons buttoned, or other Americans walking, driving, eating, picking their noses with a cell phone glued to their ear. All of those things are indicators of possible dangers to life and limb. The only thing different between OCing and those other things is that one can easily observe when the person OCing goes from law-abiding and peaceable to overtly dangerous.

As for the signs on the road - most folks found them highly amusing, as opposed to being true indicators of danger. And at best they did in fact make tourists a bit more polite and less demanding than they had been previously.

To add to this from SM it is documented that once CC and this law were part of the state culture, criminals started targeting rental cars trying to avoid citizens that may be armed, far from becoming the “shootout problem” criminals became very aware of the dangers to their illicit trade and some secondary protection was afforded to the average citizen (much to the chagrin of the typical anti-gun liberal statists).

2. Open carry may provide a ready source of firearms for criminals. In my opinion, most citizens are probably not well read into procedures and techniques regarding firearm retention and may lack the physical ability and situational and environmental awareness to avoid loss of their firearm.

We have had this discussion before, and it ends up the same way every time. Nobody has ever been able to produce a verifiable account of an OC-er being specifically targeted for the purpose of taking awau=y their OC handgun, let alone a sucessful case of such.

Again, a former authoritarian insider tends to follow the statist propaganda and ignore the need for research. In the above stated study the professional criminal class tends to be somewhat more proficient than typical law enforcement in the handling of firearms. The typical “gun rights activist/gunnie/gun-nut/hobby shooter” is often self-trained or school-trained (with his own funds I may add) practices more than any “professional criminal” is more knowledgeable in the use and characteristics of firearms than even most of the long time LEOs in the US not to mention higher proficiency.

3. I am concerned that open carry may lead to greater risk of confrontations between those who have CWP's and those who do not. In my experience, many citizens are so deeply against firearms ownership that they will clash with those who are supporters of the Second Amendment. I will never forget the confrontations that I had with Viet Nam war protestors who absolutely espoused that all vets were baby killers, mercenaries and murderers but were not reluctant to attack those same vets with vigor, invective and physical attacks. Those types of people still exist my friends!

Blood in the streets!!111eleventy11!! - again. Didn't happen when they warned of this before, so why is it going to happen now?

He is also promoting the “baby killer” mythos, not that it did not happen but that his perception was that this attitude was far more prevalent that it actually was, human perception is one small selection of protesters represented a much larger population - and it did not - buy you always remember the one loud screeching irrational female and not the hundreds of quiet neutral or supportive bystanders.

I OC in some of the most liberal and “hippie” infested areas of Colorado (excepting the PR o D) and have yet to have a single “screeching” encounter, I find foreigners visiting inquisitive or just don’t mention anything, to anyone that has gotten my attention.

4. Open carry will make it more difficult for law enforcement to determine who may be legally carrying and who may be carrying illegally. I am positive that the criminal element will take advantage of open carry rules and proliferation of firearms in public. In addition, the efforts of law enforcement to verify legal open carry may result in confrontations with CWP holders who resent being treated and questioned like a 'common criminal' -- wish I had a dime for every time that I heard that as a cop!

So how, today, do the cops know who is carrying concealed legally and who is not?

And shouldn't the default response be to cops intervening only when an actual, bad, mean, crime is actually being committed, or there is some artictlatable suspicion that the person who has drawn the cop's undivided interest has committed or is about to commit a crime that is not merely openly carrying a handgun?

Otherwise, cops should be pulling over diabetics who are driving because they could go into a diabetic coma at any moment, or folks with licence plates identifying them as handicapped because they could do something dangerous based on whatever their handicap is. Or what about the folks driving to or from an AA meeting? They could] fall off the wagon and drive drunk, for goodness sakes!

First the statement by our illustrious statist is statistically disproven - in other words it is totally WRONG. The simple act of OC with a holster puts you well outside of the criminal statistics - criminals NEVER carry in an open manor - NEVER (see the above report). The criminal preference is no holster and CONCEALED.

We should also mention the exemption of the domestic misdemeanor gun ban to “simple civilians” and how EVERY LEO is exempt from this restriction - in other words, statistically higher numbers of abusive individuals carry firearms under the “color of law” than the average “simple civilian.”

5. There will be a proliferation of signs in retail establishments such as malls, supermarkets, restaurants, etc. banning firearms in their businesses with a possible increase in law enforcement service and intervention.

Just because a business posts a No Guns sign does not mean there will be any increase in calls for cops to come there - unless they want to fill out a complaint about the business they have lost because gun owners now refuse to patronize them.

SM makes a good point and I add another - this argument was used to bash the passing of the "concealed carry laws” what gives this individual to use it again against his own “brethren in arms?”

6. In my opinion, advertising that you are armed is 'giving aid, comfort and intelligence to your enemy' and not a great idea! If your attacker knows that you have the means of defending yourself, he may either change the nature of the attack or hopefully seek another victim. Don't forget the old Infantry rules -- if your attack is going really well, it is probably an ambush!"

So he's saying that having BGs decide not to pick you as their next victim is a bad thing? Or is he again trying to make the argument that the OCer will be targetted because of the handgun? Which is it?

Or maybe he's trying for the other argument - that OCers have an unfair advantage because the BGs will not pick them as victims, thus increasing te chances that everybody else will be picked as a victim? Because those other folks who are not OCing could never possibly be carrying concealed and thus have a means of protecting/defending themselves, could they?

Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt indeed...

Is this not applicable to every LEO in the US that walks the streets in uniform or in a marked car?

Criminals pick “soft targets” as mentioned in the statistical based reports, this single argument by the fans of state controlled “rights” to firearms via. the “licensing and regulation schemes” is not only specious it flies against all the evidence.

Would not life be much better where 50% OC and 50% CC giving the criminal class the best option to be removed from the breeding population?

ET.

Exactly! The two or three seconds saved can save your life, another civilian or an LEOs life.

If it takes you 2-3 seconds longer to draw a concealed handgun over an OC draw, then you are doing something woefully wrong... or you have the gun so deeply concealed you have to pull your pants down and you're fiddling with something in your undershorts.:uhoh: Just saying...

Last edited: