• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Out of reach not true

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
While it is good that many evidently are reading 'Caprice' closely, as I try always to do, why this one and not 'Hamdan' for instance? Hamdan is significant and precedential and 'Caprice' is not particularly so.

Good point Doug. I read Hamdan but that was quite a while back. I believe though that the same "logic" is applied in both cases about a "concealed weapon". Time to peruse the Hamdan files again.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
But see that is manufactured as a holster. It needs to be manufactured as a Case. Although the shape and definition of the material would work for what I am suggesting. It would only need a few adjustments to be able to be attached around a holstered firearm in such a way that it could be easily removed when not in a vehicle.
A holster which completely encloses the firearm is a case which was expressly made to contain a firearm just as a leg from a pair of Levis which is sewn shut and a string added to tie one end closed is a case which was expressly made to contain a firearm. The definition of "case" is container. A holster is a specific type of case which normally does not completely enclose the firearm and is intended to be worn.
[align=left][quote]“Encased” means enclosed in a case that is expressly made for the purpose of containing a firearm and that is completely zipped, snapped, buckled, tied or otherwise fastened with no part of the firearm exposed.[/quote][/align]

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:
I especially like this part: ¶7 Wisconsin’s CCW statute is not applied literally. “A statute created to prevent the carrying of a concealed weapon on the body of a person is naturally extended to the area inside an automobile in which a person may reach a concealed or hidden weapon.” Walls, 190 Wis. 2d at 71.

Logically, this extension of the general rule should be applied to any area, not just an automobile, where a concealed or hidden weapon is within reach of an individual.

Use the "logic" in the second paragraph every "dangerous weapon" in your home is concealed (assuming your silverware is in a drawer, guns in gun cabinets/safes, baseball bats in closets....etc.) and if a LEO were in your home you could be charged and arrested for literally hundreds of "concealed weapons".

If I put my hand in my coat pocket out of sight, is that a concealed weapon? According to the logic above, yes.

This is total crap.
Walls is an old case, Hamdan to a certain extent corrected much of that silliness.

If anyone wishes to keep their unloaded and encased firearm further "out of reach" by putting it in the trunk, nobody will try to prevent you. Be as timid as you choose!

Captain Nemo

imported post

This is an excerpt from the WSSC decision in Stae v Asfoor.

State v. Asfoor Jan 18 1977

Asfoor also argues that the evidence was insufficient to
support the conviction of the charge of going armed with
a weapon. The basis for this argument is that because
Asfoor disarmed Schubert he could not be found guilty of
going armed with a concealed weapon. This is one
reasonable interpretation of the evidence. Another is
that a man who places a .357 Magnum pistol on the
floorboard of his car as he is driving is going armed
with a concealed weapon, or that even one who disarms
another but places the weapon within his reach,
underneath a car seat, and remains in the car is going
armed with a concealed weapon. This court will not retry
the case. The evidence, as to both charges, was
sufficient to support the convictions.

Asfoor predates the enactment of 167.31 by a number of years. Encasement wasn't required when Asfoor was decided. So, is 167.31 supplemental to the case law in Asfoorso that"out of reach " and encased are simultaneous requirements? Or, because the legislative intent of enacting 167.31 was as a game management tool for the DNR, not as a public safety measure, make Asfoor moot, or only apply as precedent iftaking of wildlife is involved?

Alloy is an unpublished opinion and shotgun explained it's judicial significance quite well. For the most part the Alloy decision is just words. It only reflects the mindset of one court and as it is unpublished has minute judicial precedential value.

Just my opinions.

Confusion reigns.

Uziel Gal

imported post

Captain Nemo wrote:

So, is 167.31 supplemental to the case law in Asfoor  so that "out of reach " and encased are simultaneous requirements?

The Judges in State v. Alloy answered this question in the affirmative which is the significance of the particular case.

To add another wrinkle, nowhere in Wisconsin law does it define encased as unloaded. “Encased” means enclosed in a case that is expressly made
for the purpose of containing a firearm and that is completely
zipped, snapped, buckled, tied or otherwise fastened with no part
of the firearm exposed. The law on safe transportation specifically states that a firearm must be both encased and unloaded if possessed, placed on, or transported by various vehicles. The law prohibiting the concealed carry of weapons specifically defines a firearm as being loaded or unloaded and provides no exceptions except being police or active military.

CAUTION DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE THE MEANS AND ABILITY TO FIGHT A CHARGE OF CARRYING A CONCEALED WEAPON

Under the logic that "out of reach" does not apply to an unloaded and encased firearm when in or on a prohibited vehicle.Then one could also have a encased firearm on or about their person when not in a vehicle. The encased firearm on their person could also be LOADED and would remain within the law except when passing those pesky school zones and when in a vehicle. A fully enclosed holster or fanny pack containing a loaded handgun would be lawful because it is fully encased and since a charge of carrying a concealed weapon has no bearing on whether or not the firearm is loaded or not by definition. In other words, once a firearm is encased it is be considered out of reach even when on ones person.

Although there are certain elements of truth in this train of thought, it may even be unconstitutional. yet you may be charged with CCW if found on your person or within your reach is a encased firearm. This is where the most interesting and most overlooked part of the Alloy decision resides, in the only footnote.

"While complying with WIS. STAT. § 167.31 might provide a defense to a person who possessed a concealed weapon immediately after it was encased for purposes of transporting it, those facts are not present here. We do not address hypothetical arguments.

A defense to a charge of carrying a concealed weapon for having on ones person or within reach an unloaded and encased firearm in compliance with safe transportation and more recently school zone laws. This defense would obviously not apply to a loaded and encased firearm since it does not fulfill the requirements for travel in a vehicle or through a school zone. Why does one need such a defense? I believe that it is because the CCW law 941.23 is on its face unconstitutional providing no way to bear arms uninfringed. The fact that so many of us in Wisconsin unknowingly violate this law year after year does not make it legal. The reason that no hunters are charged with carrying a concealed weapon every opening day is they know exactly what would happen. They would have to change the law and not a single jury would convict costing them money. It would be nice if that were also true for "open carry gun advocates" but we must be extra diligent in these times.

As the media paints us as violent antisocials. We must not flaunt the law or try to bend it to our will. There may be a time for that but it isn't now. Now we should be doing all we can to control the damage to our cause. We need to be in the media spotlight in a positive way. We can not afford a open carry advocate to be charged with CCW or the like.We should be having open carry fundraisers for good causes, an open carry walk to raise money with a bonus every time we case up through a school zone. Showing up at Starbucks or Menards will only do so much to improve public opinion. Untill then if we are really open carry advocates than we should be willing to pull up to the range, exit the vehicle, remove the gun case, unencase the firearm, walk to the door of the establishment, recase, and enter. Yes, its a pain in the ass. Yes, you should call them first and let them know you are coming. Yes, a passerby may call the cops. Yes, you may get harassed. Yes, you will not be violating any law. To me it is starting to sound like fun. Time will tell.

MKEgal

If a gun is properly cased that is not a concealed weapon IMO. You can ask any law enforcement agency or DA/CA and they will confirm this.

According to the Brookfield, WI PD as of about 11am today (04JUL10) a cased gun is a concealed gun.
(DAMHIK)
They were "nice" enough to only charge me with illegal transport, since they weren't sure whether the CCW law is legal or not, and they're waiting to hear from on high before enforcing it...

-

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Best wishes!

I am so sorry that you are not within Gerald Fox's jurisdiction. Good luck and keep us discreetly informed, please.

Thank goodness § 167.31 violation is a civil forfeiture and not a criminal violation. The statutory forfeiture is $100, how much does the extra crap add up to?

§ 941.23 is a criminal statute and its violation is an A Class misdemeanor.

Last edited:

protias

According to the Brookfield, WI PD as of about 11am today (04JUL10) a cased gun is a concealed gun.
(DAMHIK)
They were "nice" enough to only charge me with illegal transport, since they weren't sure whether the CCW law is legal or not, and they're waiting to hear from on high before enforcing it...

-

That's a load of crap! How are we supposed to transport our firearms if we can't have it encased? Tape it to the roof of our vehicles?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Using the elements of this case only as presented by the OP, the CCW violation may be avoided by transporting the unloaded and encased weapon out of reach.

DAMHIK = "Don't Ask Me How I Know"

http://www.ci.brookfield.wi.us/FAQ.aspx?QID=187
BPD said:
How can I obtain a copy of a police report?
Call the Police Department Records Division at 262-787-3702 to request a copy. A record request will be processed for review to determine if it may be released. Some records cannot legally be released: cases which are still under investigation, cases currently pending before the courts, juvenile cases, cases in which release might endanger victims/witnesses, cases in which victims/witnesses have requested confidentiality, etc. You will be notified by phone about your request. Reports may be picked up at the police station front desk or may be mailed out. There is a 25 cent per page charge.

Contact Information:
Brad Schimel
Waukesha County District Attorney
515 W Moreland Blvd, Room CG72
Waukesha, WI 53188

Telephone Contacts:
Phone: (262) 548-7076

Email Inquiries:
WaukeshaCountyDA@da.wi.gov

Last edited:

BJA

Campaign Veteran
(DAMHIK)

-

Another option for anyone who wants to is to design your own CLEAR firearms case and put your unloaded pistol and magazine in there, that takes care of the case controversy....... not necessarily the car carry controversy. Yet think you can carry it in school zones and in state parks as well. Problem is is that its unloaded and in a case though, not necessarily the way you want to carry your firearm!!! nor is it the constitutional way our founders framed for us!!!! God I hope we get a positive outcome in the GFSZ case!

Ben

J.Gleason

Banned
Let the challenges begin

(DAMHIK)

-

As I stated in an earlier thread. These challenges are inevitable and needed. WCI and the WCI attorneys should be all over this one. It is a good shot at striking down the vehicle carry law.
You can not legally carry the firearm in the vehicle if it is not encased and now LEO says it is illegal if it is encased.
Infringement at its best. Let the Games begin.
Stand strong MKEgal we are all behind you on this one. Looks like Doug's video may come into play as well.

hardballer

Apparently the 2nd Amendment is null and void in Brookfield. A cased gun is a concealed gun???

Can you say Gestapo? This is pure BS and is a political action. The cops twist the intent of a law because they can if no one stands up to them. They love it because it empowers them. They've been feeling a bit neutered as of late with all this crazy, positive 2nd Amendment stuff.

This needs a response. Hopefully we can come up with one that makes sense and makes them sit up and take notice.

__

Banned
No. You are confusing two separate statutes. 167.31, the civil violation, requires unloaded encased as elements of the statute. 941.23 has elements of hidden, awareness and reachable and is a criminal violation. One does not except the requirements of the other.

M

McX

back from up north, had a decent time, got sunburned. dropped in on this thread, as it has great relevance to me right now; county prosecutor, and those in attendance, i need a direct definitive yes or no to this question, as 1. i am a law abiding citizen and 2. my life may depend on a legal method of carry in this cirumstance. my question; is unloaded and encased, on the passenger seat next to me legal or not, yes or no???

BJA

Campaign Veteran
MCX due to the conflicting aspects of the CCW prohibition and the vehicle carry regulation, ( of which i feel is binding to the aspect of being very unconstitutional) I believe, in my opinion the only way to transport a firearm within reach encased in a vehicle is this way:

1.) in a clear transparent case and unloaded
that is
2.) hung from your F*ckn roof 6" or a foot in the center between the two front seats so it is visible through the windows by speaker wire or something to that effect. You know what I'm getting at, just hung from that height and mainly visible to "All"

Thats how you have to do it and in my opinion not risk being arrested by LEO. Yeah.... great.... eh? The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed........ wow what a sad place our country and state is in. Sorry for droppin the F bomb all, but is this seriously what you have to do so you wont be prosecuted for TRYING to protect yourself......!!!!???

God help us.... and happy independence day!

Ben

Last edited: