• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Over reaction or right thing to do?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
The fact most people have no problem with this shows we have become dependent on the state to protect us from scary things.

Disagree, it's an acknowledgement it takes more then just a citizen/s at that point in time at that location to protect our loved ones when we cannot be there to protect them.
That old saying that an officer cannot always be there in a time of need also applies to each of us.

Last edited:

arentol

I think the only thing the cops did wrong was bother the guy at home after they followed him there with the chopper. I'm sure they could tell by then that he was not carrying a rifle.

The punk that called this in either needs to get his eyes checked or get a good whoopin.

They had to talk to him to verify that he was indeed the "MWAG" that had been called in by verifying he had been dressed the same, carrying the same umbrella, and had been in the reported area at the reported time. Without that knowledge they couldn't remove the lock down and call off the search.

They were doing their job, and it is indeed the LAC's duty to assist in such situations. I am all about the police not hassling people unnecessarily, but I am equally about all of us doing our small part to help ensure the safety of our communities.

tombrewster421

They had to talk to him to verify that he was indeed the "MWAG" that had been called in by verifying he had been dressed the same, carrying the same umbrella, and had been in the reported area at the reported time. Without that knowledge they couldn't remove the lock down and call off the search.

They were doing their job, and it is indeed the LAC's duty to assist in such situations. I am all about the police not hassling people unnecessarily, but I am equally about all of us doing our small part to help ensure the safety of our communities.

I suppose you're somewhat right but what happens when the person they're looking for is just made up? How many people do they get to bother before they give up.

DamonK

Where are you getting your info? They didn't need to verify crap. They followed him with a friggin' helicopter. They knew damned good and well that he didn't have a rifle. This was a practice run at shutting us martial law, plain and simple.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

EMNofSeattle

Where are you getting your info? They didn't need to verify crap. They followed him with a friggin' helicopter. They knew damned good and well that he didn't have a rifle. This was a practice run at shutting us martial law, plain and simple.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah this was obviously a conspiracy so they could practice martial law..... :rolleyes:

They probably followed him home to inform him of what happened and why they were looking for him. nothing says his home was searched or invaded. anyone can come knock on someone's door and ask to talk to them. there's nothing conspiratorial about it. Besides this is nothing remotely like Martial law, when the military comes rolling down the street in tanks to help look for him, then you can say martial law. law enforcement conducting a search as a result of a tip of criminal activity is not martial law.

EMNofSeattle

Pay attention. He wasn't carrying a rifle, he wasn't wearing a ski mask, he wasn't warranting alarm. I am complaining about the overreaction of cops. The guy is lucky he didn't get shot because some punk "thought" he saw something scary.

Demeanor has nothing to do with rifle or clothing......

The word "demeanor" does not appear anywhere in .270 it outlaws warranting alarm, carrying a firearm IN HAND is plenty PC to make an arrest.

It doesn't matter that he didn't really have a rifle or ski mask, unfortunately due to budget cuts the police department has had to cut clairvoyance out of the training curriculum. without that they won't be able to know if the complaint was false or not until locating the guy.

Sparky508

The word "demeanor" does not appear anywhere in .270 it outlaws warranting alarm, carrying a firearm IN HAND is plenty PC to make an arrest.

It doesn't matter that he didn't really have a rifle or ski mask, unfortunately due to budget cuts the police department has had to cut clairvoyance out of the training curriculum. without that they won't be able to know if the complaint was false or not until locating the guy.

Your absolutely right. It doesn't matter that he wasn't breaking the law...............

Better to be safe then sorry, right? :confused:

I'm sure you'll remember to keep that in mind if and when the tables are turned:uhoh:

EMNofSeattle

Your absolutely right. It doesn't matter that he wasn't breaking the law...............

Better to be safe then sorry, right? :confused:

I'm sure you'll remember to keep that in mind if and when the tables are turned:uhoh:

It matters once they find him, but if they have a caller that says that someone is menacing children at a school that needs to be investigated as quickly as possible. in this case the caller is the one in the wrong. I'd much rather see a story of a false alarm ending with no one being hurt then a story of twenty children being loaded into the coroner's van. The anti-government folks are really stretching hard to make the cops the villians... you're working harder then anti-gunners have ever worked the villify gun owners.

Jeff Hayes

It matters once they find him, but if they have a caller that says that someone is menacing children at a school that needs to be investigated as quickly as possible. in this case the caller is the one in the wrong. I'd much rather see a story of a false alarm ending with no one being hurt then a story of twenty children being loaded into the coroner's van. The anti-government folks are really stretching hard to make the cops the villians... you're working harder then anti-gunners have ever worked the villify gun owners.

The 911 caller never said anyone was menacing children at school, why do you continually insist on interjecting false information into these discussions?

EMNofSeattle

The 911 caller never said anyone was menacing children at school, why do you continually insist on interjecting false information into these discussions?

If you don't consider holding a rifle with an inserted magazine in hand next to a school while wearing a mask to be menacing then you and I simply do not think on the same wavelength. We can look at many school shootings involving military looking rifles, including Newtown, Hungerford in Britain, the list goes on and on. As far as i'm concerned, holding a firearm in your hands with no justification in public is de facto probable cause of a crime. carrying a rifle in hand in a public place in a populated area, is menacing.

why do you even have a problem with this, you're one of the people who was loudly trumpeting a policy of having any rifles at a SECOND ******* AMENDMENT RALLY had to be unloaded with no bolt in the rifle. you took part in a conspiracy to discourage people from exercising their Art 1 sec 24 rights under the state constitution for the stupidest reasons possible, then said "well the state patrol requested it" (oh being dependent on government now?) and now here you are denouncing a lawful investigation into a compliant.. why don't you explain what law the police broke and cite it?

The problem is, you're skipping to the end and looking it in hindsight, if the caller alleged the man was carrying an umbrella and wearing a turtleneck the highest possible police response would be to send someone to contact the caller and explain how to properly use an emergency line, that's not the call recieved.

Jeff Hayes

If you don't consider holding a rifle with an inserted magazine in hand next to a school while wearing a mask to be menacing then you and I simply do not think on the same wavelength. We can look at many school shootings involving military looking rifles, including Newtown, Hungerford in Britain, the list goes on and on. As far as i'm concerned, holding a firearm in your hands with no justification in public is de facto probable cause of a crime. carrying a rifle in hand in a public place in a populated area, is menacing.

why do you even have a problem with this, you're one of the people who was loudly trumpeting a policy of having any rifles at a SECOND ******* AMENDMENT RALLY had to be unloaded with no bolt in the rifle. you took part in a conspiracy to discourage people from exercising their Art 1 sec 24 rights under the state constitution for the stupidest reasons possible, then said "well the state patrol requested it" (oh being dependent on government now?) and now here you are denouncing a lawful investigation into a compliant.. why don't you explain what law the police broke and cite it?

The problem is, you're skipping to the end and looking it in hindsight, if the caller alleged the man was carrying an umbrella and wearing a turtleneck the highest possible police response would be to send someone to contact the caller and explain how to properly use an emergency line, that's not the call recieved.

WTF Who was holding a rifle with an inserted magazine in hand next to a school while wearing a mask to be menacing? Pray tell where did this happen on this thread, please show me where you are getting this information, please direct me to where this was reported in the 911 call associated with this thread.

Yes we are positively on a different wave length THANK GOD for small favors.

I stand by my previous statement why do you insist on injecting false statements into this thread. Are you making this up or do you really believe what you are saying

EMNofSeattle

WTF Who was holding a rifle with an inserted magazine in hand next to a school while wearing a mask to be menacing? Pray tell where did this happen on this thread, please show me where you are getting this information, please direct me to where this was reported in the 911 call associated with this thread.

Yes we are positively on a different wave length THANK GOD for small favors.

I stand by my previous statement why do you insist on injecting false statements into this thread. Are you making this up or do you really believe what you are saying

ReaD!!!!!

hree Olympia schools were put on lockdown Tuesday morning after police were called at around 7:45 a.m. about a man wearing a ski mask and black clothing, walking in the direction of Roosevelt Elementary School and carrying a "long black object" believed to be a rifle.

Olympia police, Thurston County Sheriff's deputies and Washington State Patrol troopers were called to the search. A Lewis County Sheriff's Office search dog was brought to the scene to try and track the man.

Read more here: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013/03/12/2917021/3-olympia-schools-on-modified.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

ReaD!!!!!

hree Olympia schools were put on lockdown Tuesday morning after police were called at around 7:45 a.m. about a man wearing a ski mask and black clothing, walking in the direction of Roosevelt Elementary School and carrying a "long black object" believed to be a rifle.

Olympia police, Thurston County Sheriff's deputies and Washington State Patrol troopers were called to the search. A Lewis County Sheriff's Office search dog was brought to the scene to try and track the man.

Read more here: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013...#storylink=cpy

OK I read it, no where does it say a magazine was inserted, no where does it say he was wearing a ski mask to be menacing, no where does it say he was near a school, this is all your imagination working overtime.

EMNofSeattle

Read more here: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013...#storylink=cpy

OK I read it, no where does it say a magazine was inserted, no where does it say he was wearing a ski mask to be menacing, no where does it say he was near a school, this is all your imagination working overtime.

The police don't need to know your intentions to investigate, that's the point of an investigation. wearing a mask while armed is presumably for the purpose of intimidating people or obscuring your identity while committing a crime. his intentions are irrelevant, one looks menacing when armed near a school. he turned out not to be, but you're skipping straight to the end of the story, they determined after a search and investigation he was not. The police have to go on the information first provided. but you're just looking to argue and make up some tortured scenario in which the police are wrong. if someone reports an "assault style weapon" and that's the description, the police can assume the rifle, as with any gun scenario, is loaded meaning magazine. the real facts and intent are irrelevant until the police learn them.

This is not imagination, this is the facts along with knowledge of how police will react to being told those facts.

bmg50cal

The umbrella I would wish to have while being followed by helo, considering free speech and all. ;)

Middle-Finger--Umbrella-Up-Yours-Umbrella.jpg

Are you watching this big brother? This isn't 1984, let freedom ring!