• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pastor killed in officer involved shooting in Spokane Valley

amlevin

I fail to see you hang up on the Deputy IDing himself. He was in a patrol car, granted it was unmarked but identifiable around here as such, in uniform doing exactly what the deceased and his neighborhood asked SVPD to do. But don't let me stop ya'll from trying to blame everything on the LEO.

Vandal-

You need to come here to the "wet side" and look at all the "unmarked" cars that are running around the I-5 corridor. Some are actually Police Cars. We have members here that drive them with antennae and spotlights as well. For 2-1/2 years after I retired I worked part time as a delivery driver. 8 hours a day on the freeway and city streets. Was amazed at the number of non-police Crown Vic's I saw with push bumpers, multiple antennas, and some with even the "dazzle bar" lights in the rear window although they were yellow not blue/red. The point is that at night, even a taxicab can be mistaken for a police car.

With all these retired police cars being driven by all different kinds of people they have become somewhat "background noise". Just seeing a Crown Vic doesn't always equate to "Police Car".

Lammo

Vandal-

You need to come here to the "wet side" and look at all the "unmarked" cars that are running around the I-5 corridor. Some are actually Police Cars. We have members here that drive them with antennae and spotlights as well. For 2-1/2 years after I retired I worked part time as a delivery driver. 8 hours a day on the freeway and city streets. Was amazed at the number of non-police Crown Vic's I saw with push bumpers, multiple antennas, and some with even the "dazzle bar" lights in the rear window although they were yellow not blue/red. The point is that at night, even a taxicab can be mistaken for a police car.

With all these retired police cars being driven by all different kinds of people they have become somewhat "background noise". Just seeing a Crown Vic doesn't always equate to "Police Car".

Regional difference - - not that many non-LEO Crown Vics here in the hub of the Inland Entire. Most often if you think you see a civilian Crown Vic it turns out to be a Mercury Grand Marquis. Seems like most of the cabs around here are mini-vans.

Jeff Hayes

I gets stinkier and stinkier. The Deputy says Mr. Creach was reaching for his weapon after being struck in the knee with a baton, thats one tough 74 year old. The Deputy then states he holstered his baton and then took a 2 handed grip and shot, WTF. I think if I was in the position of someone attempting to draw a firearm on me I would have simply dropped the baton and shot one handed especialy at less than 3 feet. My defensive training has included firing my weapon before my hand or arm was extended.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39045029/ns/local_news-spokane_wa/

Last edited:

Trigger Dr

The baton and PR24 training I had, would lead me to believe that if he was close enough to strike in the knee, he was close enough to strike the gun hand, arm, solar plexus, or employ any of the takedowns. He had time to strike him in the knee and then holster his baton, draw and take a 2 hand hold????????? I will reserve judgement for now, but me thinks it will come out of the wash dirtier than it went in.

1245A Defender

so now we read that the cop did ID himself,
the paster put his gun in his waist band,
the cop hit him with his night stick, knocking him to his knees.
he is 3 feet away, still has his night stick, the paster is on his knees.
the cop says he saw the paster going for his gun, so he holsters his nightstick.
draws his gun, takes a two handed aim, and shoots the paster.
im glad that in the second article, the cop says he did ID himself.
i am sad that since the paster put his gun in his waist band, the cop hit him with his night stick.
i am sad that when the paster, went for his gun, that instead of hitting the paster with his night stick some more to force compliance,
the cop somehow found the time, to holster his night stick, and then, draw his gun,
and, take the time to take a two handed aimed shot at a man, that was on his knees,
and THREE FEET AWAY!!!

ChuckUFarley

bennie1986

His son says it was flat out murder http://www.mynorthwest.com/category...okane-sheriff's-deputy-kills-prowler-suspect/

I agree it is starting to look like an execution. But the sad truth is they will let him off with a slap on the wrist or he might lose his job, but any real jail time, no way.

There is no real justice against cowards like this.

Wow I know to expect this kind of nonsense from the blogs on the news websites but on here! Really!?! I have to say I’m a little disappointed.

papa bear

there are several things that bother me about this story. on the surface, it sounds like a miss identification, or an unfortunate incident. but there seems to be too much of it going on here lately

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...lled-by-officer-responding-to-noise-complaint

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?77773-Officer-invol.-shooting&highlight=eric+scott

http://www.courthousenews.com/2009/...ght_Cops_Planning_Cover-Up_After_Shooting.htm

there is way too much instances where people are shot just because they have a gun

Beretta92FSLady

Wow I know to expect this kind of nonsense from the blogs on the news websites but on here! Really!?! I have to say I’m a little disappointed.

Go figure Bennie, someone has an opinion that is not in agreement with yours--or someone has posted a link to what the victims son said.

The evidence will come to light, hopefully in its entirety, and we will all know the truth, well, as much truth as they want us to see. There is nothing wrong with doubting the actions of LEO's. Actually, I think it is healthy to question the actions of LEO's, it keeps them in check, as they should be. They are there for a reason, and that reason is not to shoot homeowners while investigating the private property.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
First I again would like to say this is a crying shame that this even occurred.

As with any incident be it Officer involved or not, all of us draw from past knowledge and perspectives that we have gained through our experiences.
Sometimes this is a good thing and sometimes not so easy to stay non bias during the investigation.

I look at this incident and looked at it as if I was sitting in that seat being as an Officer.
Would I not be in fear of my life when someone was approaching me with a gun in hand? I think so.
As an Officer identifying himself as such and ordering him to put down his gun and get on the ground and him refusing to do so.
Escalation in force would be appropriate would it not?
Instead of shooting right away as he did put his gun in his waist ban (refused to drop the gun and get on the ground) so the Officer stated he hit him in the leg and he buckled but then went for his gun (evidence is being sought to verify the baton use).
Would this not increase the imminent threat of life or limb?

I feel if the Officer did strike him with his baton and he did not follow through then there is a need for additional training in my opinion.
If the business owner would have complied with the Officer directions this would not have reached this conclusion.
(in the statement of the business owner stating he did not have to, demonstrates a position of general defiance for law enforcement)

I am interested in seeing more information as to how the statements and evidence support what occurred.

jimatwen

Here are a couple questions. How long would an incident like this take place? Why did the officer get out of his vehicle and not have his weapon drawn and pointed at an armed person? In the dark, someone is yelling at you to drop your gun, they claim to be police, you place your pistol in your waist band. Then they hit you. Do you defend your self? or try to drop your gun so they don't hit you any more?

sudden valley gunner

Here are a couple questions. How long would an incident like this take place? Why did the officer get out of his vehicle and not have his weapon drawn and pointed at an armed person? In the dark, someone is yelling at you to drop your gun, they claim to be police, you place your pistol in your waist band. Then they hit you. Do you defend your self? or try to drop your gun so they don't hit you any more?

Those are some good questions. But think of this there has been crooks claiming to be cops to commit crimes. Officers should only come onto property to if invited or if they see a crime being committed. If I walk around a dark corner of my house on my property and see a man with a gun pointed at me...it's going to be fight or flight.