• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

**patriot act rejected**

Kryteon

ak56

Campaign Veteran

tobyjones

"Those who question the Patriot Act and who oppose the extension of the three provisions have to consider whether they would be fine with another terrorist attack resulting from handicapping law enforcement."

If handicapping law enforcement means saving $87 billion a year and not infringing on Americans rights I would say go for it. Bad things happen to good people. I think we are spending money poorly and giving up rights blindly. Homeland security is just a jobs program for Republicans (with much higher pay than welfare).

However if we just gave 21 million dollars a year for the last 10 years to the 4000 people that were killed 9/11 I think we would have people volunteering to be terrorist targets.

Last edited:

MKEgal

ak56 said:
Only if they are using those evil black assault pillows.
And they have to be soft standard size pillows, none of those king-size monstrosities, or overstuffed, or extra firm.
(Of course the same could be said for certain implants...)
And you can't buy more than 1 pillow a month, or take it out of your house (unless you're bringing it home from the store, or moving).

kryteon said:
What exactly has changed in your everyday life because of the Patriot Act?
The only good thing that's happened is that the Coast Guard has received more funding.

On the bad side, if I want to cash a check written to me on a bank where I don't have an account, they demand lots of personal information, nearly to the level of setting up an account for me. Most banks no longer return checks, only providing an image online. Instead of only reporting the required suspicious transactions, most banks decided it was much easier to give the gov't access to ALL transactions.

If I want to travel in the most time-efficient way (flying) I'm sexually assaulted by government agents. (So I no longer fly.) That's coming to rail & bus travel, too.
I can't know if I'm on the "no fly list".
I can't know if some gov't agency has decided to pry into my personal life; it's illegal to tell the victims they're being spyed on.

Worst of all, the gov't thinks it's gotten away with these infringements so far & will push harder to revoke more rights.

sharkey

1. I guess I'm not making myself clear. I DO NOT agree with the argument that IT IS OKAY to give up your privacy if you have nothing to hide.

We still need a mechanism to stop terrorist from plotting and planning to kill us. How would we accomplish that? I'm not asking what you don't support. I'm asking what you WOULD DO. I'm asking are you willing to personally tell the victims families that you're sorry their loved ones are dead, but at least nobody can listen to your private phone conversations.

Whether I'm a conservative or a liberal has nothing to do with anything. I may be a raving lunatic :)

2. What liberty do we no longer have, that we DID have before the Patriot Act. And, I'm specifically addressing the three provisions that were repealed (expired).

3. See the smiley face at the end of 1 above.

I have no idea what you mean by "fake right". Maybe it's somebody that doesn't pass the test. I don't know but that's a discussion for another thread.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Kryteon

We need not worry about severability. The whole thing needs to go.

Freedom of speech for one.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/27/u...uslim-web-site-work.html?sec=technology&spon=

http://www.cnsnews.com/node/68167

I gave you one real world example and one hypothetical. Anyone else care to add other examples?

Last edited: