• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PCSO detention - audio

sudden valley gunner

Speaking of SV, where has he been lately? On an extended cruise on his sailboat?

Nah....he comes on every once in awhile. I think being libertarian he get's a little frustrated, with the hardcore republicans and democrats, and the "militia" tin-foil hat mentality that creeps in here once in awhile.

I think that is what he meant by "nutters".....lol.....:lol:.

malichite

You did an amazing job at keeping your cool. I would not have been able to do that. My heart was pounding and I was getting angry just listening to it. Sorry you had to go through it and hope everything works out if you decide to go after them. I have also rehosted this file on my server too. zShare can be a pain so hopefully this link will help people out who have issues with zshare.

www.theforgottenserver.com/ocdo/incident.mp3

1245A Defender

well,,,

this encounter is full of failure, by everyone!
this is a good example of why complying with unlawful demands will not make thing go well!
giving up your right to just be left alone will most likely lead to this very type of harassment!
a polite refusal to comply with unlawful demands is more likely to result in your just going on your way!

1245A Defender

well,,,

cops usually start this crap, gently.
they will; ask if they can talk to you?
if you will come out side?
can i see some ID?
we got a call, and need to talk to you.
none of these are RAS of a crime, they are not lawful stops or detentions.
you do not need to comply!
there are many of these types of contacts written about in this state forum.
simply and firmly refusing the contact and going about your business will often end it right there!
Dears72 wrote about 2 of these, but he is knowledgeable and confident,
and he wont put up with any monkey business from ANYBODY!
if you give an inch, they will take a mile!!

sudden valley gunner

cops usually start this crap, gently.
they will; ask if they can talk to you?
if you will come out side?
can i see some ID?
we got a call, and need to talk to you.
none of these are RAS of a crime, they are not lawful stops or detentions.
you do not need to comply!
there are many of these types of contacts written about in this state forum.
simply and firmly refusing the contact and going about your business will often end it right there!
Dears72 wrote about 2 of these, but he is knowledgeable and confident,
and he wont put up with any monkey business from ANYBODY!
if you give an inch, they will take a mile!!

Yep!!!!!! And you make it harder for the next OC'er or anybody standing up for any of our rights. Because you enable and mentally enforce the idea they are right when you do.

But to give TW credit this was a few years ago, and I relinquished a few things in my encounter that will not happen again. Having learned from my experiences.

TechnoWeenie

But I'm asking for specifics. You have the audio here, at what point what could he have said to stop the encounter. The officer walks up and apparently tells him to hold his hands up while he disarms him. What could he have legally done to prevent this? I'd be concerned about an obstruction charge by preempting the conversation. By capturing the conversation he was able to get proof that the only reason for the stop was his carried firearm and this could have then been used to swat the police back afterward. To short circuit it, they could then possibly charge with obstruction, he might not have audio, and he'd be playing defense in court rather than offense.

3 cars, lights on, blocking my path, at gunpoint, ordered not to move...Not much I could do to the force the situation. I also didn't have any backup audio/video, so if they arrested me, I bet my voice recorder would accidentally disappear.

1245A Defender

well,,,

Yep!!!!!! And you make it harder for the next OC'er or anybody standing up for any of our rights. Because you enable and mentally enforce the idea they are right when you do.

But to give TW credit this was a few years ago, and I relinquished a few things in my encounter that will not happen again. Having learned from my experiences.

right you are, back a few years ago, nobody, COPs or OCrs knew very much about
how to handle a MWAG encounter.
ive been studying the laws for only 1yr 8mo, and i have gone from knowing nothing,
to being able to talk really really big about how to protect our rights.
i know how to do that in california, michigan, wisconson, nevada, etc., and washington!
i have never had to prove it in an actual LEO encounter!

in light of the severity of the initial encounter the only thing that could have been done
would be the basic, refuse consent, demand to be left alone, answer no questions,
demand your 4th amendment right against unreasonable search and seizure,
invoke your 5th amendment right to keep your mouth shut, tell him to leave your firearm alone, tell him to leave your wallet and ID alone, demand their RAS for the stop,
and, ultimately,,, tell them to arrest you for a crime, or let you go!

told you i learned to talk really big!:D but you got to do it all under intense pressure!

Deleted_User

I finally got to listen to this ...

OMG, PCSO really has a few issues, don't they? This is insane! I truly ... just wow!

Well handled Parks! I learned a TON listening to this and others.

shad0wfax

In similar situations I have said, "I am going to go about my lawful business, otherwise arrest me." It's funny to see the LEO's back down as soon as you say "Arrest me." I like how they're fishing for the clerk and trying to lead him into stuff about the firearm and they get nowhere.

I was going to respond to some of the comments the officers made in detail but they made so very many incorrect statements and behaved so unprofessionally that I can't even begin to comment.

All I can say is that to all of the folks who think that we Law-Abiding Citizens are "LEO bashing" they need to listen to this tape before they get upset when we talk about how so many LEO's are ignorant of their own laws. (Every officer on this tape made at least one incorrect statement or assumption.)

Aryk45XD

Still can't get the audio to load.

I've only read past the first few posts. From the sounds of this, you handled yourself very well. Filing a complaint no matter how long it's been will still bring something from nothing. I know I've taken a while to let everything sink in before then just let it go for a while. Maybe something of emotional trauma... yeah that's it. Anyway, you don't always have to be nice and polite. Get angry and loud about abuse.
I'm really wanting to hear this!!! I could use a little practice and to hear what off-the-wall things are said. I'll have to try on another computer. My old laptop might play this... just gotta dig it out from somewhere. I hate unpacking and finding new places for everything after moving.

ETA: Thank you for posting the Theforgottonserver link Malichite! I'm listening to it now.

Last edited: