• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Peninsula Town Center

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I was waiting for Thundar to post this but he must be tied up today.

http://news.oldva.org/?p=19586

Update:
I spoke to Mr Tripp again today. He discussed the matter with their Attorneys and they agreed that the law was clear. The No guns rule would be removed from any Authority property.
The City Attorney’s office has likewise notified the Police Department.
The decision to allow weapons within individual stores will be left to the Tenants.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
I was waiting for Thundar to post this but he must be tied up today.

http://news.oldva.org/?p=19586

Update:
I spoke to Mr Tripp again today. He discussed the matter with their Attorneys and they agreed that the law was clear. The No guns rule would be removed from any Authority property.
The City Attorney’s office has likewise notified the Police Department.
The decision to allow weapons within individual stores will be left to the Tenants.
Super job and Kudos to all involved.

I suspect a measure of appreciation from them for the manner and professionalism demonstrated also. No march, no signs, no media attention - just knowledgeable people seeking respect for the rights of others.

"Course maybe someone let them know that there were other options - politely so though I am sure.

Yata hey

Thundar

imported post

Thanks Peter for posting the update. I have been very busy with work this week.

I spoke with Mr. Tripp yesterday afternoon. The CDA Attorney has confirmed to him that they cannot regulate firearms on Authority property, and Mr. Tripp understands and intends to fully comply with Virginia law. He is now seeking guidance from the property owner for policy for the private property. My recommendation was to eliminate the prohibition and let each merchant set their own policy for their store.

Mr. Tripp also informed me that there was an open carier at the Peninsula Town Center this weekend and that the gun owner was friendly and cooperative. This positive interaction was appreciated. Don't know who went, but being friendly had probably helped us a lot.

So to recap:

1) The streets, sidewalks, parking garageand parks are public and security will not bother open carriers in these areas.

2) The stores are private property and still have a weapons ban, though I think we will see some positive changes in the very near future.

3) Thanks to all who "held fire" and gave the mall management time to figure this out. We have the possibility to get a big win for open carriers because of your mature response to the situation.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Thundar wrote:
Thanks Peter for posting the update. I have been very busy with work this week.

I spoke with Mr. Tripp yesterday afternoon. The CDA Attorney has confirmed to him that they cannot regulate firearms on Authority property, and Mr. Tripp understands and intends to fully comply with Virginia law. He is now seeking guidance from the property owner for policy for the private property. My recommendation was to eliminate the prohibition and let each merchant set their own policy for their store.

Mr. Tripp also informed me that there was an open carier at the Peninsula Town Center this weekend and that the gun owner was friendly and cooperative. This positive interaction was appreciated. Don't know who went, but being friendly had probably helped us a lot.

So to recap:

1) The streets, sidewalks, parking garageand parks are public and security will not bother open carriers in these areas.

2) The stores are private property and still have a weapons ban, though I think we will see some positive changes in the very near future.

3) Thanks to all who "held fire" and gave the mall management time to figure this out. We have the possibility to get a big win for open carriers because of your mature response to the situation.
It is a really nice win. In any situation, much more positive benefit is gained when both sides find the interaction a pleasant experience. Nobody likes to have egg on their face.

Always gotta remember that we are the good guys 'n gals. That and you are what others perceive you to be - they are the judge of their values.

Sometimes its better to be a shiny penny than a crumpled dollar.

Yata hey

45acpForMe

imported post

Thundar wrote:

I thought the tenant stores would set their own policy, not commit to the ban. I'm not going to go to PTC just to walk around. If the stores and restaurants still ban (as is their right to do if they choose) they will still lose my business.

Pagan

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
Thundar wrote:

I thought the tenant stores would set their own policy, not commit to the ban. I'm not going to go to PTC just to walk around. If the stores and restaurants still ban (as is their right to do if they choose) they will still lose my business.
I went there a couple of weeks ago and was OC, and went inside the skate park there. Aside from a wierd comment by the owner, there were no negative encounters.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Pagan wrote:
45acpForMe wrote:
Thundar wrote:

I went there a couple of weeks ago and was OC, and went inside the skate park there. Aside from a wierd comment by the owner, there were no negative encounters.
Next time leave your motorcycle outside and all will be fine. :p

Yata hey

45acpForMe

imported post

OC-ed to 5 guys last night to get my daughter a burger. I saw a Hampton police officer standing around outside Chipotle. There was a cruiser and another officer nearby and they were chatting. No one said anything about my OC and I never got close enough to them for them to see.

I was just wondering why they were standing around. I wonder if they are providing security of some sort. I have never seen any security guards around.

Thundar

imported post

Just finished my OC walk a out at Peninsula Town Center. Nice place. No issues with OC. Town Center Park is a nice place to hold an open carry event. Plenty of parking and lots of places to eat.

ODA 226

imported post

My wife and daughter OC'd to Target at Town Center two days ago, with a photographer in tow (they are being featured in a British magazine piece on females who carry firearms). They had a great time shopping and no one bothered them at all! :D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
My wife and daughter OC'd to Target at Town Center two days ago, with a photographer in tow (they are being featured in a British magazine piece on females who carry firearms). They had a great time shopping and no one bothered them at all! :D
Pictures later perhaps and link to article?

Life in the good ol' U-us-of-A the way it is supposed to be.

Yata hey

ODA 226

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:

Yata hey

Sure! I think that photographer will be taking pictures of other OCDO females this Sunday in NOVA. My daughter is travelling up there also on Sunday.

The reporter is doing this for Mayfair :question:Magazine I believe and is British. The photographer is Eli Caplan.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:

Yata hey
Sure! I think that photographer will be taking pictures of other OCDO females this Sunday in NOVA. My daughter is travelling up there also on Sunday.

The reporter is doing this for Mayfair :question:Magazine I believe and is British. The photographer is Eli Caplan.
IMHO - woman are golden to the cause - thank both for us!

Yata hey

big_bake

imported post

OCed into five guys two days ago with no problems. One of the employees came up to me as i was eating asking if i was open or concealed carrying. i said open since it was pretty obvious. Then we started talking about waiting on our CHP's to come back. Turns out he put in for his a few days before me. 32 days for me and nada :?