• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Peninsula Town Center

Thundar

imported post

Cool Breeze wrote:
Greetings, I did some research on the parking meters and this is what I found.

The meters are privately owned by the Town Center. They average 50 tickets a day at $5.00 each (for people who didn't put change in the meter or whose time expired) $250 per day, $25,000 per 100 days, $75,000 per 300 days this doesn't include the money they make off of the meters for regular parking. When being issued a ticket they record your vin # and tag info. If you have 4 unpaid tickets your vehicle will be immobilzed by a wheel boot reqiring a $75 dollar fee to have the boot removed. Hampton city police don't enforce or collect the money for the meters only the Town Center security people do. The meters have a sticker on them that mentions a "PORTION OF PROCEEDS WILL BE GIVEN TO CHARITY" looks like a good source of income to me.

If the streets and side walks are public how can someone put a privately owned meter out there and charge? There are meters for the handicaped spaces as well. I did noticed that some of the rental cops (mall security) have police patches on there uniforms. It was explained to me that a few are sworn in as special conservators of the peace so they can enforce laws.When will the madness end.

I do not understand the authority of the mall to impose a private fee to park on a public street. "Fining people for not paying illegal parking fees, and immobilizing their cars seems very over the top.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Thundar wrote:
Cool Breeze wrote:

The meters are privately owned by the Town Center. They average 50 tickets a day at $5.00 each (for people who didn't put change in the meter or whose time expired) $250 per day, $25,000 per 100 days, $75,000 per 300 days this doesn't include the money they make off of the meters for regular parking. When being issued a ticket they record your vin # and tag info. If you have 4 unpaid tickets your vehicle will be immobilzed by a wheel boot reqiring a $75 dollar fee to have the boot removed. Hampton city police don't enforce or collect the money for the meters only the Town Center security people do. The meters have a sticker on them that mentions a "PORTION OF PROCEEDS WILL BE GIVEN TO CHARITY" looks like a good source of income to me.

If the streets and side walks are public how can someone put a privately owned meter out there and charge? There are meters for the handicaped spaces as well. I did noticed that some of the rental cops (mall security) have police patches on there uniforms. It was explained to me that a few are sworn in as special conservators of the peace so they can enforce laws.When will the madness end.

I do not understand the authority of the mall to impose a private fee to park on a public street. "Fining people for not paying illegal parking fees, and immobilizing their cars seems very over the top.
If no one complains........:?

Lets not forget, there is also no confirmation on the parking meter question. An internet posting does not make a cite.

Yata hey

2a4all

imported post

Thundar wrote:
FOIA came back very quick. Goose eggs for requests A-E. I think I will ask about the parking meters next.

It doesn't appear that the PTC CDA holds any meetings. This is very strange, but for now, know that it does not appear that any of the "community standards" were approved, or carry any weight on CDA property. They all appear to be private property rules that the mall owners are trying to apply to public property.

This CDA is absent government. Seems like it could be very useful for future gun rights that such a place exists.
Send your FOIA response to Ken Cuccinnelli, with aCC to the Hampton City Manager.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Not all the handicapped spaces are metered. The ones in the parking lots are not, nor are the ones in front of Barnes and Noble... B&N is an OC FRIENDLY business!!!

t33j

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Cool Breeze wrote:

If the streets and side walks are public how can someone put a privately owned meter out there and charge? There are meters for the handicaped spaces as well. I did noticed that some of the rental cops (mall security) have police patches on there uniforms. It was explained to me that a few are sworn in as special conservators of the peace so they can enforce laws. When will the madness end.

I do not understand the authority of the mall to impose a private fee to park on a public street.  "Fining people for not paying illegal parking fees, and immobilizing their cars seems very over the top.

Ahhh now I have a potential use for that portable cutting torch I've always wanted.

Cool Breeze

imported post

We've had the opportunity to speak with some of the security guards at the Town Center ( that's where all of my info has been coming from )and they have communicated that in their personal opinion they feel this is wrong. It was stated by one that " If the Town Center was incorect and confused about about the sidewalks and streets beingcity owned and not private in regards to carrying a firearm and that security was told to treat the property in it's entirety as if it were still all private property based on this same premise therewould also be confussion about the meters as well" We're talking a lot of money here folks. Possibly over $100,000 per year.

Not wanting to allow OC was out of fear and controlthe expectation of something bad happening. However, the meters in my opinion would be greed. How much of the proceeds goes to charity? How can the public get an accounting on this?Was a mistake made in placing the meters based on the assumption of the streets still being private property?

In discussion with security personel and tennants it was explained that another policy of the Town Center is that store employees are not allowed to park on the streets during their work hours, even if they pay. If found out they will be ticketed and then at some point if there is an additional offense, wheel boot and towed.I understand the logic in this- if it were private property but the streets are public.

Not with the intent to speak negative but so far the Peninsula Town Center is somewhat of a failure not meeting up to the original expectations. It is slow during the week withmore traffic flow on the weekends. On the weekends there are people but they don't seem to shop just hang out. All of the stores are catered to women and not men and in comparison to an inside mall you have to deal with inclement weather, rain, cold, snow, heat etc. This take away from the impulsive shopping that normally takes place at an inside mall because people tend to go strait to the destinationinstead ofexploring. With all of this said do you think they want any bad publicity with OC, mistakes with the parking meters or anything else. If people complain about the Town Center specific tax that they have to pay when they shop here, you know it would be bad feelings if they knew that this entity wasinappropriatelycharging to park on our own city streets with nothing being done about it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Cool Breeze wrote:
We've had the opportunity to speak with some of the security guards at the Town Center ( that's where all of my info has been coming from )and they have communicated that in their personal opinion they feel this is wrong. It was stated by one that " If the Town Center was incorect and confused about about the sidewalks and streets beingcity owned and not private in regards to carrying a firearm and that security was told to treat the property in it's entirety as if it were still all private property based on this same premise therewould also be confussion about the meters as well" We're talking a lot of money here folks. Possibly over $100,000 per year.

Not wanting to allow OC was out of fear and controlthe expectation of something bad happening. However, the meters in my opinion would be greed. How much of the proceeds goes to charity? How can the public get an accounting on this?Was a mistake made in placing the meters based on the assumption of the streets still being private property?

In discussion with security personel and tennants it was explained that another policy of the Town Center is that store employees are not allowed to park on the streets during their work hours, even if they pay. If found out they will be ticketed and then at some point if there is an additional offense, wheel boot and towed.I understand the logic in this- if it were private property but the streets are public.

Not with the intent to speak negative but so far the Peninsula Town Center is somewhat of a failure not meeting up to the original expectations. It is slow during the week withmore traffic flow on the weekends. On the weekends there are people but they don't seem to shop just hang out. All of the stores are catered to women and not men and in comparison to an inside mall you have to deal with inclement weather, rain, cold, snow, heat etc. This take away from the impulsive shopping that normally takes place at an inside mall because people tend to go strait to the destinationinstead ofexploring. With all of this said do you think they want any bad publicity with OC, mistakes with the parking meters or anything else. If people complain about the Town Center specific tax that they have to pay when they shop here, you know it would be bad feelings if they knew that this entity wasinappropriatelycharging to park on our own city streets with nothing being done about it.
Two completely different issues here. One being the perception or image of the center - the other being legality of how they operate/function.

It is to the latter that we should address our thoughts and these should be primarily focused/related to OC - not to parking meters, employee policies, etc. These other situations are surely important to many, just not within the scope of OCDO.

Yata hey

newportnews757

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Cool Breeze wrote:
We've had the opportunity to speak with some of the security guards at the Town Center ( that's where all of my info has been coming from )and they have communicated that in their personal opinion they feel this is wrong. It was stated by one that  " If the Town Center was incorect and confused about about the sidewalks and streets being city owned and not private in regards to carrying a firearm and that security was told to treat the property in it's entirety as if it were still all private property based on this same premise there would also be confussion about the meters as well" We're talking a lot of money here folks. Possibly  over $100,000 per year.

Not wanting to allow OC was out of fear and control the expectation of something bad happening. However, the meters in my opinion would be greed. How much of the proceeds goes to charity? How can the public get an accounting on this? Was a mistake made in placing the meters based on the assumption of the streets still being private property?

In discussion with security personel and tennants it was explained that another policy of the Town Center is that store employees are not allowed to park on the streets during their work hours, even if they pay. If found out they will be ticketed and then at some point if there is an additional offense, wheel boot and towed. I understand the logic in this - if it were private property but the streets are public.

Not with the intent to speak negative but so far the Peninsula Town Center is somewhat of a failure not meeting up to the original expectations. It is slow during the week with more traffic flow on the weekends. On the weekends there are people but they don't seem to shop just hang out. All of the stores are catered to women and not men and in comparison to an inside mall you have to deal with inclement weather, rain, cold, snow, heat etc. This take away from the impulsive shopping that normally takes place at an inside mall because people tend to go strait to the destination instead of exploring. With all of this said do you think they want any bad publicity with OC, mistakes with the parking meters or anything else. If people complain about the Town Center specific tax that they have to pay when they shop here, you know it would be bad feelings if they knew that this entity was inappropriately charging to park on our own city streets with nothing being done about it.  
Two completely different issues here.  One being the perception or image of the center - the other being legality of how they operate/function.

It is to the latter that we should address our thoughts and these should be primarily focused/related to OC - not to parking meters, employee policies, etc.  These other situations are surely important to many, just not within the scope of OCDO.

Yata hey

Well maybe, I kind of disagree, they all have common ground, i.e. what are the publicity owned property areas of the PTC? The only way you are going to dig it out of them is via of questioning left and right of center, i.e. slightly off focused related to OC.

Ah, the Jungle Republic of Hampton, enjoy your stay. :)

Thundar

imported post

PTC is part public and part private. The PTC Corporation tried to treat all of PTC, including the part publically owned by PTC Community Development Authority (CDA). as private property.

I spent time exploring the issue because it didn't seem right and discovered that the CDA actually owned most (but not all) of the streets and sidewalks as well as both parks. Because preemption specifically applies to Authorities, the gun ban could not be legal in those locations.

We waited patiently for the PTC Corporation to wake up and smell the coffee. They have conceded and changed the policy on all the private property to ban illegal weapons. This allows us to open carry without worrying about public or private property lines within PTC. This is good for us and good for the security guards, who also don't have to worry about property lines.

I sent a FOIA because there are signs on public property which proclaim the PTC Corporation policy on public property, which IMHO violates preemption. The Hampton City Manager is a member of the CDA and I intended to take her to task for supporting an illegal gun ban. What I discovered however was that the PTC CDA is a sham authority which does not meet (at least no public meetings). The CDA has never adopted a weapons policy or the PTC Corporation's community standards.

Why do we care about the parking meters?

The parking metersare another usurpation of power by a corporation not authorized to do such things on public property. To challenge and fight in court one needs a guinea pig. The difference is that it is a $5 parking violation, not a 1 year class 1 tresspassing misdemeanor to challenge the PTC Corporation authority to enforce private rules on public property.