• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pirates, terrorists, 'Enemies of the human race', Rush Limbaugh

Tomahawk

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
Capitalism has freed more people than any other ideology in the world. Free markets only exist when people are free, so the more controls you see in the market directly relates to the relative freedom of the people who participate in those markets. So when you blindly agree with liberals that more regulation of capitalism is needed, what you are really doing is telling them that you don't mind giving up your freedom for some imagined boogey man.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! *takes deep breath* HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAH

You're joking, right? Are you not up on the causes of all the economic problems we're having?

You're right about one thing though. The freedom of the "market" directly effects the freedom of the people, inversely. Total economic freedom is great if you want to be a slave of colossal businesses.

Actually, he's right about free markets being the only way for free people to be free and prosperous.

Problem is that we haven't had a free market for about a hundred years.

And republicans, including Rush Limbaugh, only pay lip service to it. The way they laughed at Ron Paul, who turns out to have predicted all that has happened, shows the truth of this. Republicans don't want to end government economic meddling and currency control. They just think they can do a better job at it than democrats can.

"I've abandoned free market principles to save the free market system." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Dec. 16, 2008

Says it all. I voted Republican more often than not for years. Not any more, at least not for the mainstream ones. Not until they mean what they say about the free market, as well as the constitution and individual rights (like, due process of law and spying on citizens, etc.).

Call me a liberal? Fine. Thomas Jefferson called himself a liberal, and so did Frederich Hayek. It's all just a label. 5 minutes talking to me and you know what I stand for, and it's not Obama, Limbaugh, Bush, or any of the Republicrat Tag Team leading us to ruin. Enjoy your kool aid, ditto-heads.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Maybe if you could write using proper English instead of that phony Yosemite Sam accent your posts would make more sense.

As for sheep, human-speak for "baaa" is "dittos".

Maybe if you fixed that 'doo'... you'd be purty! BTW... it ain't phoney... it's the way I think... speak... 'n write. You Do have some seriouslyanal issues don'cha?

'Know whyI write that way... cuz I CAN! :celebrate

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Seems to me there are some people here who are just steamed that Rush is right 99% of the time.

wat
LOL!

FWIW, I agree with Tomahawk (as usual).

Tomahawk wrote:
Actually, he's right about free markets being the only way for free people to be free and prosperous.

And republicans, including Rush Limbaugh, only pay lip service to it. The way they laughed at Ron Paul, who turns out to have predicted all that has happened, shows the truth of this. Republicans don't want to end government economic meddling and currency control. They just think they can do a better job at it than democrats can.

"I've abandoned free market principles to save the free market system." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Dec. 16, 2008

Says it all. I voted Republican more often than not for years. Not any more, at least not for the mainstream ones. Not until they mean what they say about the free market, as well as the constitution and individual rights (like, due process of law and spying on citizens, etc.).

Call me a liberal? Fine. Thomas Jefferson called himself a liberal, and so did Frederich Hayek. It's all just a label. 5 minutes talking to me and you know what I stand for, and it's not Obama, Limbaugh, Bush, or any of the Republicrat Tag Team leading us to ruin. Enjoy your kool aid, ditto-heads.
+1,000,000

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Maybe if you could write using proper English instead of that phony Yosemite Sam accent your posts would make more sense.

As for sheep, human-speak for "baaa" is "dittos".

Maybe if you fixed that 'doo'... you'd be purty! BTW... it ain't phoney... it's the way I think... speak... 'n write.  You Do have some seriously anal issues don'cha?

'Know why I write that way... cuz I CAN! :celebrate
What I want to know is, what does the prefatory apostrophe come from? Is "know" a contraction? I've been wondering what linguistic idiosyncrasy that is intended to represent for about a year now...

Sonora Rebel

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
'Know whyI write that way... cuz I CAN! :celebrate
What I want to know is, what does the prefatory apostrophe come from? Is "know" a contraction? I've been wondering what linguistic idiosyncrasy that is intended to represent for about a year now...

It's a contraction for 'Do you know'... 'leavin' off the ''Do you".

'Know what I mean? :p

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ah, I understand. However I believe you are misusing the contraction.

For example, if I were to say "I am not as Yosemite Samlike as you", I am in fact saying "I am not as Yosemite Samlike as you (are)", yet I don't need to say " I am not as Yosemite Samlike as you' ".

Sonora Rebel

imported post

My abbreviation is used to begin, not end with. I never liked the word police. 'Care less about the freakin' nuanced mechanics of English. I'm past that. 'Never figured there'd be a test from some yahoo in VA usin' Wes Studi onna bad hair day as an avitar. (Get a life) I write cowboy poetry... sometimes it creeps into other stuff.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
(Get a life) I write cowboy poetry...
:quirky

Typical metro east coast response. Here's one applicable to the forum. There's a couple others but...

Ramblin's
© 2009

Guns

I got a gun… ‘more ‘n one
‘Can’t hardly have too many
Yet there’s still some folks around
Who don’t have one… or any

I reckon if they had their way
We’d all be left defenseless
With all the crime that’s goin’ around
That kind’a thinkin’s senseless

These politicians jump on this
As if they know what it’s about
“We don’t need guns out in our streets”
Is mostly, what they shout

It’s the actions of the criminals
Guns are pretty much inert
Somebody’s gotta point ‘em
‘Pull them triggers, ‘fore they’ll hurt

Then they’ll jump on the aesthetics
‘Bout how some of these guns look
Especially them with pistol grips
‘Round which yer thumb can hook

‘Never heard of egonomics
Or the progress of the tools
All such stuff’s ‘assault guns’
In the jargon of these fools

It’s plain ol’ hoplophobia
The fear of any gun
They know nuthin’ about ‘em
A clue, they don’t have one

They think we’ll all be safer
If none of us are armed
When anyone defends themselves
These morons get alarmed

Worst of all these anti’s
Is that moonbat Sarah Brady
Beyond all rhyme or reason
Somethin’s wrong with that ol’ lady

If all the guns are outlawed
Only outlaws will have guns
I reckon’ I’m no outlaw yet
But that’ll damn sure make me one

‘Til then I’ll have my pistol
There holstered on my hip
I will not be a victim
‘Cause of some gun-grabbers @#$%

There in my gun locker
My silent weapons stand
‘Only way I’ll ever give ‘em up
Is if they’re pulled from my dead hand

We have the Right to self defense
Free men don’t need permission
The Constitution spells it out
Defendin' THAT's my mission

The same who'll holler 'civil rights'
Would gladly take that right away
They've done that many places now
No matter what the 'people' say

D.C., Maryland, Illinois
New Jersey, New York state
Hawaii, Minnesota
'n California ain't that great

'Reckon that the people there
Live with these lies disguised as law
Infringing on an actual Right
Or denying it at all

Even when in courts of law
This tryanny is tested
They'll maintain the same ol' quid pro quo
They all should be arrested

They think that taking all our guns
Will be a fine solution
The final cure for all of that
Is the Second 'Revolution'

I reckon that's a comer
Altho I dunno when
To kick these commie bastards out
'n take our country back again

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

Hate to break it you man, but the last time this world saw a truly free market the cavemen from the Geico commercials were exchanging Woolly Mammoth meat at a clearing in the woods.

Lack of regulation is what caused this mess. Modern mega corporations have long ago out-grown the free market system. If you haven't been following it from the start and don't have a knowledge of finance, this article gives an amazingly thorough beginning to present explanation of what's going on right now and how we got here. This isn't and never was about the subprime crisis. That was merely the trigger that shook the table this house of cards was built on.

Very long but WELL worth the read.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/26793903/the_big_takeover

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Don't. Just let it go. Spring and a new beginning are upon us, just let it come.
How do you figure? I thought 1/1 is the new beginning? Honestly I think this place is getting more hostile, not less.

Tomahawk

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Lack of regulation is what caused this mess. Modern mega corporations have long ago out-grown the free market system. If you haven't been following it from the start and don't have a knowledge of finance, this article gives an amazingly thorough beginning to present explanation of what's going on right now and how we got here. This isn't and never was about the subprime crisis. That was merely the trigger that shook the table this house of cards was built on.

Rolling Stone? That's about as far left as you can get without speaking Russian. I mean, come on: Biased a little?

rolling_stone_obama.jpg

In any case, regulation is what caused this mess. Any time you regulate something, those who are regulated strive to control the regulators, who are also human and trying to make a buck. Corporations use government to make themselves stronger. They are not friends of liberty, but they are enabled by government and its regulators. Rent seeking. Corporations only have power over you if government gives it to them. Takes two to dance.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

Hate to break it you man, but the last time this world saw a truly free market the cavemen from the Geico commercials were exchanging Woolly Mammoth meat at a clearing in the woods.

Lack of regulation is what caused this mess.  Modern mega corporations have long ago out-grown the free market system.  If you haven't been following it from the start and don't have a knowledge of finance, this article gives an amazingly thorough beginning to present explanation of what's going on right now and how we got here.  This isn't and never was about the subprime crisis.  That was merely the trigger that shook the table this house of cards was built on.

The issue of corporate executive corruption and "mismanagement" is not nearly so simple as a "lack" of "regulation", although government is responsible (for very different reasons). The article you posted is sophomoric in its understanding at best.

It is not even clear that the current modern corporation (legal personhood, limited liability) is even possible under a truly free market, to the point that it's absurd to begin to suggest that free markets are responsible for excessive corporate power.

The following defends free markets easily while admitting and addressing the problem of what the modern corporation has become:

Is the Corporation a Free-Market Institution?

A slightly different take:

Roderick Long: Corporations versus the Market; or, Whip Conflation Now

(Please note: no blogs; I have provided scholarly references only.)

Jefferson was railing about corporations long before your Keynesian economics even existed, and yet he had no problems with consistently arguing for a deregulated "free market" (his own words. Try reading his works sometime. I recommend this amazing volume.)

Most famously, Jefferson declared the following:

I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations which dare already to challenge our government in a trial of strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country.

It's abundantly clear Jefferson wouldn't have blamed the problems with the corporation on a "lack" of "regulation". The problem is not regulation or lack thereof, but the legal embodiment of the corporation itself, inconsistent with natural right and free markets.

And the problem is not the corporation as merely an agreement between individuals to share ownership, the problem is the specific legal status and protections afforded to those who chose to so incorporate.

Pertinent example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_personhood

"Deregulation" is not the same this as "government stealing from the people and giving to corporations, and giving corporations special legal status to boot". In fact, the concepts are so dissimilar and unrelated as to be nearly entirely antonymous.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
You're joking, right? Are you not up on the causes of all the economic problems we're having?
Ok, let's see, these problems we're experiencing right now started in the 1920s with Herbert Hoover and his policies that began to REGULATE the market... freedom began to be taken from us, but first, it was taken from only the rich, so the poor celebrated in a moment of schadenfreude. But then they got worse when FDR decided to double down on Hoover's policies and he made a deep recession turn into the Great Depression (happening again sadly). What stayed FDR's policies from completely destroying the economy was WWII. Then with the Marshall plan, we managed to extend the recovery for almost 15 years with American company contracts in Europe and Japan helping to rebuild. So, mid 60s, things are starting to wind down and taxes finally have to be raised. John F Kennedy lowered taxes and was lambasted.... and LBJ raised them once JFK was killed.

Viet Nam was a big drain on the economy and the Fed began printing money to pay for Viet Nam... and other things like everything that Nixon began like the Department of Education etc. Inflation started to build and came to a head in the Carter Administration.

Jimmy Carter with the Community Redevelopment Act made a policy that would eventually be used as a cudgel by the Clinton Administration to threaten banks into giving loans for homes they would never have given under normal circumstances. To avoid huge loses, the banks repackaged the loans in order to sell them as a sort of insurance. Government REGULATION forced the market to behave in ways that it would never behave in had none of those regulations been created.

Ok, now that I've been reciting these GOVERNMENT policies and market manipulations, can you begin to see the problem? Do you not realize that if left alone, the market would have not allowed hundreds of thousands of people to buy homes they could not afford, and banks that were doing bad business would have gone out of business a long time ago, and Chrysler would have gone out of business in the late 70s or early 80s and so on and so fourth.... I realize that it must be hard for you to really understand economics... but pull your head out of you're bum and start looking at the real cause of all of our problems.... and that is... GOVERNMENT!!!

AWDstylez wrote:
You're right about one thing though. The freedom of the "market" directly effects the freedom of the people, inversely. Total economic freedom is great if you want to be a slave of colossal businesses.
The only way a company can have a monopoly is with a complicit government. The only way that any company can become colossal is by having a government make competing with that company impossible or very expensive through laws, ordinances, licensing requirements etc. Government interference in the market creates the behemoth companies that then use their size to squash competition. The market has not been free for many years... and yet despite that, capitalism STILL out does any other system there is. If capitalism really had a free market, gas would be less than 25 cents a gallon. Beer would cost a dollar a six pack. Cigarettes would cost 50 cents a pack. Cars would range in cost (new, not used) from 1,000 dollars to the highest price you can imagine. Food would be far more inexpensive than it is now. And homes would not be as expensive as they are now.

A good example of the free market being mostly free is the Internet. The best product usually wins and anyone can come up with that. But big business in concert with government are trying to put a stop to that and they're trying to now regulate the Internet. Big business knows that if the Internet becomes as regulated as the brick and mortar market, they win and the market looses.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:

Rolling Stone? That's about as far left as you can get without speaking Russian. I mean, come on: Biased a little?
In any case, regulation is what caused this mess. Any time you regulate something, those who are regulated strive to control the regulators, who are also human and trying to make a buck. Corporations use government to make themselves stronger. They are not friends of liberty, but they are enabled by government and its regulators. Rent seeking. Corporations only have power over you if government gives it to them. Takes two to dance.

The article just stated the factsin a very well put together, easy to understand package. You can do your own research to confirm it. There was no bias.

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/videos/whiteboard/antarctic.shtml

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/videos/whiteboard/credit_default_swaps.shtml

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/videos/whiteboard/uncorking_cdos.shtml

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/videos/whiteboard/toxic_assets.shtml

Onceyou understand what has been happening, andwhy it has been happening, itgets harder and harder to blame it on the government.

WHY do those being regulated seek to control the regulators? Because they don't want to be regulated. Government doesn't give them any kind of power. The power is their's already. They seek to control the government because the government is the only thing stopping them from bowling your over.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

The only way a company can have a monopoly is with a complicit government. The only way that any company can become colossal is by having a government make competing with that company impossible or very expensive through laws, ordinances, licensing requirements etc. Government interference in the market creates the behemoth companies that then use their size to squash competition. The market has not been free for many years... and yet despite that, capitalism STILL out does any other system there is. If capitalism really had a free market, gas would be less than 25 cents a gallon. Beer would cost a dollar a six pack. Cigarettes would cost 50 cents a pack. Cars would range in cost (new, not used) from 1,000 dollars to the highest price you can imagine. Food would be far more inexpensive than it is now. And homes would not be as expensive as they are now.

LOL Wow... sure thing man...

Have you heard of cost of entry? Mom and Pop can't compete with large corporations because the cost of entry is astronomical.Did Microsoft become a monopoly with the help or government of was it the government that broke them up? Did AT&T become a monopoly with the help of government or was it the government that broke them up? I'm not even talking about monopolies. I'm talking about corporations so large and diverse that even their own management can't regulate them properly. What you don't seem to realize is that the end result of acompletely free market is a couple massive corporations and a slave class that is their customers.

I bet you're the same type of person that cries "free market" in one breath and then cries "zomg Walmart is killing American jobs" in the next. :quirky

Funny you mention the "unregulated internet," home to more scammers and dishonest business people than... anywhere. Again proving my point.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

marshaul wrote:
It is not even clear that the current modern corporation (legal personhood, limited liability) is even possible under a truly free market, to the point that it's absurd to begin to suggest that free markets are responsible for excessive corporate power.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda....

I'm interested in talking about how things ARE, not about how you feel they should have been in idealic land. Free markets only exist in theory.

Overtaxed

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Geez... this thread is misnamed. 'Reckon y'all dunno squat about pirates.

Most dunno squat about Limbaugh either... 'cept he's a convientreconizable thumpin' post for the name droppers. Y'know... like FOX news 'n stuff... Nobody (on the left) watches/listens... but they all have a negative opinion about from some other leftiod blog spot or Oprah and The View.

The collective sheep syndrom. Baaaa!

I agree that the thread, like so many cargo ships has itself been hijacked.
I was watching some news last night and saw that the French had stormed
a pleasure boat, killed pirates and a hostage, and freed the rest.

My first thought was "Huh, the FRENCH?"

The papers and TV newsheads keep repeating the mantra of how impotent our mighty military are against these scum.

Maritime trade is going to suffer badly unless some serious changes are made - armed and trained crews, aggressive armed fast-boat patrols by NATO and other friendly nations, and very possibly mounting some serious deck guns (.50 cal and up) on the cargo vessels so they can repel boarders with something other than fire hoses and experimental sonic pain-generating weapons.

Having Richard Crenna onboard with his gleaming cutlass and Steve McQueen with his trusty BAR wouldn't hurt, either... :)