• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pirates, terrorists, 'Enemies of the human race', Rush Limbaugh

Tomahawk

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Overtaxed wrote:
Having Richard Crenna onboard with his gleaming cutlass and Steve McQueen with his trusty BAR wouldn't hurt, either... :)
For the beardless among us, a reference to The Sand Pebbles. A favorite movie.
Indeed. From the days when movies were made to a higher standard.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
Overtaxed wrote:
Having Richard Crenna onboard with his gleaming cutlass and Steve McQueen with his trusty BAR wouldn't hurt, either... :)
For the beardless among us, a reference to The Sand Pebbles. A favorite movie.
Indeed. From the days when movies were made to a higher standard.
Rhetorically, if there is a hierarchy of standards, or if a standard is no longer, then can it be said that there are no standards but only empty rhetoric?

I remember effective standardized testing and the elites that it created. Are we better off without these elites supplanted by self-proclaimed gallus-snapping CQB trained elite wannabes?

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
LOL Wow... sure thing man...

Have you heard of cost of entry? Mom and Pop can't compete with large corporations because the cost of entry is astronomical.
What makes the cost of entry to the market so expensive? Do you even run a business? I do. I've had five businesses of my own that I either ran with partners or as a sole proprietor. Do you know what an LLC is? How about an S-Corp? Do you understand the tax code which is applied to businesses? We have to report to many departments five times a year. There is paperwork, licensing, permits, labor costs, insurance for the labor etc. Hell, did you know that in many cases, businesses have to pay their B&O (business and operations) tax even if they showed a loss that quarter? Government has made it exceedingly difficult to run a business in the US. The number of rules and regulations and environmental ordinances that small businesses have to comply with have put many small businesses out of business... did you know that? Who makes the cost of entry expensive? Only government can do that.

Ohhhhhhhh yes, labor laws. No free market here.

AWDstylez wrote:
Did Microsoft become a monopoly with the help or government of was it the government that broke them up?
Um, Microsoft never got broken up. What are you talking about? Microsoft has been sued multiple times by a government wanting political donations. Now Microsoft donates a lot of money to politicians and presto... no more anti-trust lawsuits.

AWDstylez wrote:
Did AT&T become a monopoly with the help of government or was it the government that broke them up?
Both. You should read more about these things before you put your foot in your mouth.

AWDstylez wrote:
I'm talking about corporations so large and diverse that even their own management can't regulate them properly.
You mean like the car manufacturers? Why do you think they're suffering the problems they are right now? Have you paid attention to who the Unions have been paying off for the better part of the last Century? The big three Auto manufacturers were forced to make deals with the Unions that were destined to fail. They even knew it at the time, but had no choice other than to go out of business or deal with the unions. Government made sure of this with labor laws.... Ohhhhhhhh yes, labor laws. No free market here.

AWDstylez wrote:
What you don't seem to realize is that the end result of acompletely free market is a couple massive corporations and a slave class that is their customers.

What do you base this fantasy on? How is a slave a good customer? And do you even know the definition of a slave? By your little tirade here, I'm guessing you don't.

AWDstylez wrote:
I bet you're the same type of person that cries "free market" in one breath and then cries "zomg Walmart is killing American jobs" in the next. :quirky
Nope. I like Wal-Mart. I support Wal-Mart 100%. They've managed to do what government cannot. They've used the free market and their massive collective bargaining power to make prescriptions affordable to everyone. I pay 8 bucks a month for two prescriptions that cost 60 bucks a month at the local drug store. Markets change. Ways of doing business change. Robots do the work that humans used to do and make products more affordable.

AWDstylez wrote:
Funny you mention the "unregulated internet," home to more scammers and dishonest business people than... anywhere. Again proving my point.
You seem to think that because scammers exist, your point is proved. I didn't think you had a point except that you relish the schadenfreude you experience when government takes it to the successful that you are convinced scammed their way to the top.:quirky

Do you think that Amazon is scamming you? Do you think that WebMD is scamming you? There will always be schisters who will scam people out of their money and they don't need the Internet to do it.

I have a friend who is an artist. She was a starving artist until she used the tools of the Internet to begin selling her art. It worked. She now makes a pretty nice living by selling her art over the net... something that would not be possible without the net.... and if it were heavily regulated and beset with fees, she likely would not be able to do it at all. There are countless stories of small business people who have used their ingenuity to start up web storefronts and who have made it big. Regulations will make sure that only the big companies or those who are already rich can afford to stay on.

You are a typical class warfare dupe. You are easily manipulated by your government puppet masters and you buy hook line and sinker their fairy tales. I feel sorry for you that you cannot ever break free of the manipulative bastards in government that rely on keeping you jealous of the people in the private sector who are genuinely successful.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
Who makes the cost of entry expensive? Only government can do that.
Really? Are you suuuuure about that?

What say I want to start a car company... how many billions in capital am I going to need to be competitive? What say I want to start a telecom company... how many billions will that be? What say I want to start an oil refining/supplying company... how many billions there?

Does government artificially create those mega-dollar cost barriers? Absolutely not. The barriers are created by prohibitively high startup capital requirements. That's what creates monopolies and oligopolies.

Just keep blaming government for everything if it's what helps you sleep at night. Oh, and everything else you said in that paragraph is beyond irrelevant.

You mean like the car manufacturers? Why do you think they're suffering the problems they are right now? Have you paid attention to who the Unions have been paying off for the better part of the last Century? The big three Auto manufacturers were forced to make deals with the Unions that were destined to fail. They even knew it at the time, but had no choice other than to go out of business or deal with the unions. Government made sure of this with labor laws.... Ohhhhhhhh yes, labor laws. No free market here.

Domestic car manufacturers are failing because their product piss poor, their business models burn cash like no other, and their management failed to be foresightful.

All major Japanese manufactures have production facilities in America, why aren't they suffering with the same union problems? Answer: because they don't let the unions in. Once again, nothing to do with government.

Robots do the work that humans used to do and make products more affordable.
Let me fix this for you..

Cambodian infants do the work that overpaid Americans used to do and make products more affordable.

Remember what I said about capitalism creating a slave class?

I have a friend who is an artist.
"I know a guy who..."

Anecdotal evidence means about as much as a gnat sneezing in a hurricane.

The bottom line is that the more free reign corporations are given, the more they take advantage of the little guy.