• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Please apply for a CCW prior to open carrying

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
CGF way=Alan Gura way, you know, the guy that probably single handedly saved our Second Amendment rights in a judicial context? Applied the 2A to the states? Filed over half a dozen carry cases nationwide, blanketing every may-issue/no-issue state with a lawsuit?

I trust Alan Gura's way of doing things more so than a random poster on a forum.

Actually you're incorrect. Where permission is needed is when you want to carry LOADED outside of your home.

I think you and CGF put way too much credibility into Alan Gura. Wasn't it Alan Gura who botched the oral argument for incorporation through Privileges and Immunities? As I recall, SCOTUS rejected Gura's oral and incorporated through Due Process.

Unless, of course, should I dare say, that Gura's botched job was intentional? And the strategy was to stumble through the Privileges and Immunities argument so that Due Process would be that much more appealing to the justices!? After all, doesn't the licensing approach that CGF is pushing support a solidification of the Due Process approach? That is what you and CGF is asking everyone to do: support the approach the government can reasonably infringe upon our 2A rights.

Shame.

And as far as you stating that I was incorrect concerning this statement,

"We can possess a gun in our homes without specific permission. We can openly carry a gun without the need for applying for permission. Where permission is needed is when we want to carry concealled outside the home."

You, sir, are incorrect.

I never stipulated loaded or unloaded.

You are incorrect in your statement, "Where permission is needed is when you want to carry LOADED outside of your home."

Loaded open carry does not require permission in most unincorporated areas of California.

bigtoe416

As I recall, SCOTUS rejected Gura's oral and incorporated through Due Process.

I thought four of the Justices went with Due Process and Thomas went with P&I (and four Justices rejected incorporation altogether). I'm not sure what that means, but I don't think it means that the second amendment was incorporated through Due Process, but it definitely was incorporated.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
I think you and CGF put way too much credibility into Alan Gura. Wasn't it Alan Gura who botched the oral argument for incorporation through Privileges and Immunities? As I recall, SCOTUS rejected Gura's oral and incorporated through Due Process.

SCOTUS did not reject PorI. Tell me, Sons, how do you count to Five without PorI? Justice Thomas would not have joined the majority if PorI was not brought up. He was quite clear in his Saenz v. Roe dissent that PorI is the only method he would support for incorporating enumerated and unenumerated civil rights against the states and local government.

Also, Gura only had 20 minutes of argument time. His time was divided by motion of the NRA to divide his argument time. Essentially, Gura/SAF and the NRA-ILA counsel met together in November 2009 as there was the Oak Park NRA case joined up with McDonald. NRA-ILA legal counsel (who, btw, is separate from the main ILA political lobbying division) advised Gura to focus mostly on P&I for his legal brief, so that the NRA-ILA litigation team can file a party amicus brief (which is an oversized brief of NRA-ILA as a party to the appellate case).

The NRA-ILA litigation team, in a bit of dirty pool, put in a motion to the Supreme Court asking them to divide Gura's argument by 1/3rd and give it to Paul Clement, the former Solicitor General who argued for remand in the Heller case and kept repeatedly bringing up machine guns to the court on orders from the Bush Justice Department. Why? "He focused too much on P&I and we think the court would benefit from a full briefing", despite the fact that A) NRA-ILA Litigation team told Gura to actually focus on it so that they can focus on due process and B) Gura can argue due process practically in his sleep. Duncan v. Louisiana makes it real easy for him to argue.

Josh Blackman's Legal Blog for more details.

Predictably, what happened? The August 2010 edition of First Freedom shows exactly what happened. NRA-ILA litigation team took all of the credit for "winning the case" on "their argument", even though without Gura's argument on PorI, Thomas would not have voted our way. How many mentions of Gura himself? Just once. Lots of full color interviews with Stephen Halbrook and Paul Clement, though, about the things they did to get the case going.

We'll never know at this point how Gura would have argued if he had the whole 30 minutes, but he would have likely did more interspersed language about due process incorporation. That being said, he was arguing solely to Justice Thomas, as the Alito, Scalia, Roberts, and Kennedy were already in the bag, it's just that Thomas doesn't ask questions during oral arguments.

Unless, of course, should I dare say, that Gura's botched job was intentional? And the strategy was to stumble through the Privileges and Immunities argument so that Due Process would be that much more appealing to the justices!? After all, doesn't the licensing approach that CGF is pushing support a solidification of the Due Process approach? That is what you and CGF is asking everyone to do: support the approach the government can reasonably infringe upon our 2A rights.

So wait, you're basically accusing that guy that saved your 2nd amendment rights from the dustbin of the "collective rights" theory of basically taking a fall? You realize that what you're essentially accusing him of is professional legal misconduct against his own client's interests, right, you know, stuff that can get him disbarred?

Bateman v. Perdue was filed Gura and SAF in North Carolina to attack the infringement problem. A pure carry ban during states of emergency, specifically, which happened all too frequently in NC. That is a pure carry case with no licensing to mess it up. The question is whether or not it'll get to SCOTUS. North Carolina may waive the white flag, or the Legislature may repeal it in the next session. We'll see.

The only shame here is the fact that you didn't know enough about the underlying factors of McDonald, and the situations behind it, which has been repeatedly explained over and over again. For a guy who is quite high and mighty about the constitution and "no fees or licensing, ever!!" and have the temerity to throw wild accusations of professionally actionable misconduct towards Alan Gura, you don't seem to have the breadth of the legal knowledge to make a coherent argument that doesn't fit into your preconceived notions.

And as far as you stating that I was incorrect concerning this statement,

"We can possess a gun in our homes without specific permission. We can openly carry a gun without the need for applying for permission. Where permission is needed is when we want to carry concealled outside the home."

You, sir, are incorrect.

I never stipulated loaded or unloaded.

So, let me get this right, Sons: you'd rather carry an unloaded paperweight that takes 2.5 seconds to load (which a guy with a knife can stab you or a family member half a dozen times before you can load, if you can even successfully do so) than have the ability to not only openly carry unloaded as a political statement (and be able to carry within a thousand feet of a school to boot!), but also have a concealed loaded backup gun too? I can pull out a handgun from a concealed position and pointed at someone for less than a second and shoot the guy with a knife before he can stab me.

Oh, and I love the idea of OCing throughout San Francisco, too.

Not to mention that Heller struck down a "you must keep it unloaded" requirement.

You are incorrect in your statement, "Where permission is needed is when you want to carry LOADED outside of your home."

Loaded open carry does not require permission in most unincorporated areas of California.

Deceptive in spirit. PC12031 applies to both incorporated areas and places where the discharge of firearms is prohibited. From a pure geographical landmass perspective, most of California's landmass you can open carry loaded. But do people really live in these areas in a populated scale?

Last edited:

Gray Peterson

I thought four of the Justices went with Due Process and Thomas went with P&I (and four Justices rejected incorporation altogether). I'm not sure what that means, but I don't think it means that the second amendment was incorporated through Due Process, but it definitely was incorporated.

It was incorporated through neither. The judgement was agreed to that 2A applied to the states as a fundamental right, but there wasn't a majority for method of incorporation. This is why the judge in Wisconsin who struck down their concealed carry ban used PorI.

Just to reiterate: Thomas would not have incorporated through due process and would not have reached the conclusion without it being brought up in the district court in it's original filings through to oral argument. See Gonzalez v. Carhart, his concurring opinion in on pages 47 and 48. It's short.

Also, see his dissent in Saenz v. Roe. Due process incorporation is simply not in Justice Thomas' blood.

Last edited:

coolusername2007

It was incorporated through neither. The judgement was agreed to that 2A applied to the states as a fundamental right, but there wasn't a majority for method of incorporation. This is why the judge in Wisconsin who struck down their concealed carry ban used PorI.

Neither? Really? Well I'm no legal expert in reading SCOTUS' opinions, but I would say the 2A was incorporated by BOTH due process and P&I.

We therefore hold that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment incorporates the Second Amendment right recognized in [FONT=Century Schoolbook,Century Schoolbook][FONT=Century Schoolbook,Century Schoolbook]Heller[/FONT][/FONT]. -- Justice Alito, pg 44

I agree with the Court that the Second Amendment is fully applicable to the States. I do so because the right to keep and bear arms is guaranteed by the Fourteenth Amendment as a privilege of American citizenship. -- Justice Thomas, pgs 55-56

Gray Peterson

Neither? Really? Well I'm no legal expert in reading SCOTUS' opinions, but I would say the 2A was incorporated by BOTH due process and P&I.

I'm less certain of that, but I'm willing to concede that particular point. The Wisconsin judge in the Schultz case cited PorI. When I say "neither", it really should have said "either/or". Make sense?

coolusername2007

And what makes you think that eliminating e-checks isn't in the CGF radar screen? You're making a lot of assumptions.

Also, eliminating E-checks do not eliminate the underlying crime. That still subjects them to a lot of unwanted law enforcement attention and if you let that 5th amendment or 4th amendment slip in any way, you're done and you can be charged with PC12031 as a general crime.

I never said eliminating e-violations weren't on CGF's radar screen. I am fully aware of Gene's statements regarding their plan to attack 12031(e). And I make no assumptions whatsoever; it is quite clear that every step CGF has taken thus far is to gain shall issue CCW permitting. To my knowledge, other than implementing their grand plan, they have taken no steps to challenge reinstate the laws that ban LOC in CA.

Further, while I don't necessarily advocate anybody doing it, IMO LOC is not a "crime". How could it be? The 2A has been fully incorporated to the states. While it is true that CA bans LOC through the penal code, I contend that PC is no longer constitutional therefore no longer enforceable. The problem isn't LOC'ing, the problem is nobody has yet made themselves the example and run it through the legal system to prove it...likely because they don't have the money to fight it in court and because the gun rights litigators won't back them, not because they think LOC is a "crime".

kwikrnu

Banned

Decision of a Tennessee Chancellor last week:

order31.jpg

order32.jpg

Doesn't sound as if the 2A was incorporated through P&I to me.

Gray Peterson

I never said eliminating e-violations weren't on CGF's radar screen. I am fully aware of Gene's statements regarding their plan to attack 12031(e). And I make no assumptions whatsoever; it is quite clear that every step CGF has taken thus far is to gain shall issue CCW permitting. To my knowledge, other than implementing their grand plan, they have taken no steps to challenge reinstate the laws that ban LOC in CA.

Further, while I don't necessarily advocate anybody doing it, IMO LOC is not a "crime". How could it be? The 2A has been fully incorporated to the states. While it is true that CA bans LOC through the penal code, I contend that PC is no longer constitutional therefore no longer enforceable. The problem isn't LOC'ing, the problem is nobody has yet made themselves the example and run it through the legal system to prove it...likely because they don't have the money to fight it in court and because the gun rights litigators won't back them, not because they think LOC is a "crime".

No, because subjecting someone to a potential stint in jail or prison is a potential death sentence, either due to murder by another inmate or transmission of a deadly wasting virii like HIV (either through needle-sticks or blooded knifes, or potentially rape). The California state jails and prisons systems are hellholes.

Civil cases are far superior to criminal defense cases. Criminal defense means state court, which is a bad thing because of the disrespect the 2A is shown in those courts. Civil cases means we can go federal.

Also, do you realize that what you state as underlined is incorrect?

From the_quark in the State of California Laws FAQ in CalGuns:

Imagine it's 1998. You're arrested for Loaded Open Carry. You go to court, and say, "I have a Second Amendment right to own and bear arms, this law is unconstitutional." The other side would have said, "The Second Amendment confers a collective right to the states, not to an individual, so the law is fine," and you'd lose and stay in jail.

Imagine it's now 2009. You're arrested for Loaded Open Carry. You make the same argument, and their reply is, "Well, obviously, he has an individual right to own the gun at the Federal level, but the Second Amendment doesn't apply to the states, so the law is fine," and you'd stay in jail.

Now, it's July, 2010. You're arrested for Loaded Open Carry. You make the same argument, and their reply is, "Well, obviously, he has an individual right to own the gun, and the Second Amendment applies that to the state of California, but Heller just says you have the right to keep it in your home for self defense, and he was out walking around," and you'd stay in jail.

I know many of you are frustrated at this point, because "it never ends, we just keep filing lawsuits and keep not getting our rights back". However, the analogy has been put out that this is like a chess game, and it's a good one. You don't win a chess game on the first move. In Heller, we took their queen. In McDonald, we took a rook. As we progress, taking their capital pieces, their defense gets weaker and weaker, more vulnerable to future attacks. Let's see how the end-game might play out:

Imagine it's now 2012. Alan Gura has won his North Carolina suit. You're arrested for Loaded Open Carry. You make the same argument, and their reply is, "Well, obviously, he has an individual right to own the gun, and the Second Amendment applies that to the state of California, and he has a right to bear as well per the North Carolina case, but we have a compelling state interest in preventing people from running around in public with guns," and you'd stay in jail (though you're now at the point that you could reasonably mount a legal fight).

Imagine it's now 2013. Alan Gura (or perhaps someone else) has won a case stating that, as a right that Fundamental to our system of ordered liberty, any restrictions on the right to keep and bear arms must pass the "strict scrutiny" test. You're arrested for Loaded Open Carry. You make the same argument, and their reply is, "Well, obviously, he has an individual right to own the gun, and the Second Amendment applies that to the state of California, and he has a right to bear as well per the North Carolina case, but we have a compelling state interest in preventing people from running around in public with guns," and the judge overrules them since strict scrutiny applies, and releases you, because they are out of arguments. Your lawyer puts together a Section 1983 Civil Rights lawsuit and recovers damages because your rights were infringed, and they train all their officers that Loaded Open Carry is legal.

As you can see, the idea that CGF has no plan for LOC is ridiculous on it's face. Narrow tailoring cases such as Richards and Peruta deal with the good cause/good moral character stuff, and future cases on licensing and fees can be brought up in order to bring up "strict scrutiny", or perhaps the nice folks on the Nordyke panel that's currently considering Nordyke may make this declaration. If something comes up which moves up the time-table like a surprise out of Nordyke, I'm sure it'll be taken full advantage.

The difference is, of course, is that CGF doesn't blab their specific legal strategery on the forum or on this forum, because the other side reads it too.

wildhawker

I didn't realize you were sitting in on our board meetings and exec-level discussions. Wait...

Could you please stop telling us what our plan is? Shall-issue CCW is a stop along the tracks. It's not the destination.

Also, you really shouldn't give legal analysis or advice. If you want to set LOC in CA back a decade, have someone LOC in California and appeal it up using your defense.

-Brandon

CenTex

Jar Jar Binks would be insulted. :lol:

That being said, what's with the disrespect towards open carriers who have carry licenses? For example, over 95 percent of the open carriers that live in Washington State and in Oregon have carry licenses. Every open carrier I know in Utah has a CFP (to carry loaded). Above 95 percent of the open carriers in Michigan have carry licenses for the same reason as Washington (vehicle carry), same with Alabama. Every legal open carrier in Minnesota, Indiana, Connecticut, and Georgia has a carry license because you can't carry there open or concealed without license.

Are you saying that the open carriers who acquire a license and continue to open carry are slaves?

I would be interested in knowing how you came up with those percentages. Are they verifiable? They seem quite high. Thanks for taking the time, should you care to verify.

Last edited:

inbox485

Jar Jar Binks would be insulted. :lol:

That being said, what's with the disrespect towards open carriers who have carry licenses? For example, over 95 percent of the open carriers that live in Washington State and in Oregon have carry licenses. Every open carrier I know in Utah has a CFP (to carry loaded). Above 95 percent of the open carriers in Michigan have carry licenses for the same reason as Washington (vehicle carry), same with Alabama. Every legal open carrier in Minnesota, Indiana, Connecticut, and Georgia has a carry license because you can't carry there open or concealed without license.

Are you saying that the open carriers who acquire a license and continue to open carry are slaves?

:confused:

I didn't say anything about open carriers. I just said that for CA, getting a CCW involves plantation politics. Some plantations are better than others, but either way you get to enjoy your rights at the whim and pleasure of a police chief or sheriff. A CCW in CA is like travel papers in a slave state. I'm not making any judgment on if it is prudent to play along or not.

coolusername2007

I didn't realize you were sitting in on our board meetings and exec-level discussions. Wait...

Could you please stop telling us what our plan is? Shall-issue CCW is a stop along the tracks. It's not the destination.

Also, you really shouldn't give legal analysis or advice. If you want to set LOC in CA back a decade, have someone LOC in California and appeal it up using your defense.

-Brandon

Did you even read my post? You sure inferred an awful lot into my statements. Perhaps you shouldn't go around telling people what to do. CGF does a lot of good in this state, and many times your statements don't reflect well on the organization you represent.

wildhawker

I did read your post where you say a criminal act is actually legal by some reaching interpretation that has no real legal value.

Lawful Aim

[FONT=&quot]...Could I please have a CCW?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
-Thomas Pynchon

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Sons of Liberty

-Brandon

Brandon,

Who are you? I don't remember electing you our representative...or did you just appoint yourself?

Why don't you just keep your plan to yourself and not share it with anyone? Oh, wait a minute, that's what you are doing.

Why don't you just not visit this site to tell us that you can't tell us the plan? Come back when you can tell us something.

inbox485

[FONT=&quot]...Could I please have a CCW?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
-Thomas Pynchon

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

True but there are exactly two avenues of relief at this point. The courts or the streets. If every gun owner locked and loaded, the streets approach would probably work and could even be bloodless. But since that isn't happening, that leaves the courts. And since the courts became a game of corruption and tyrannical power trips that follows social whims over written laws over a century ago, if you want to get anywhere in court you can't just be right, you have to play the game. I don't like being left in the dark any more than anybody else, but CGF has a running streak of winning in court, often by keeping the other side in the dark until it is too late.

wildhawker

I'm sure you'll understand when I say that most forward-looking planning conversations will not be taking place on a public forum. That you suggest we should tells me that you're really not interested in how the world works, but only the world as you perceive it ought.

So, if I am not to speak until I can discuss with you our plans, shouldn't you return the favor? Allow me to qualify the preceding with the condition that any plans you offer must be supported by legal analysis that bears some semblance to reality.

-Brandon

Brandon,

Who are you? I don't remember electing you our representative...or did you just appoint yourself?

Why don't you just keep your plan to yourself and not share it with anyone? Oh, wait a minute, that's what you are doing.

Why don't you just not visit this site to tell us that you can't tell us the plan? Come back when you can tell us something.

coolusername2007

I did read your post where you say a criminal act is actually legal by some reaching interpretation that has no real legal value.

So now you're the lawyer? No real legal value. Really?

"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." Miller v. U.S. 230 F 486 at 489

"Where rights as secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which will abrogate them." Miranda v. Ariz., 384 U.S. 436 at 491 (1966).

"The general rule is that an unconstitutional statute, though having the form and name of law, is in reality no law, but is wholly void, and ineffective for any purpose; since unconstitutionality dates from the time of it's enactment, and not merely from the date of the decision so branding it. No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law, and no courts are bound to enforce it." - Sixteenth American Jurisprudence, Second Edition, Section 256 137, 180

"Since an unconstitutional law is void, the general principles follow that it imposes no duties, confers no rights, creates no office, bestows no power or authority on anyone, affords no protection and justifies no acts performed under it. No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it." 16 Am Jur 2nd Section 177

"All laws, rules and practices which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void." Marbury v. Madison

"The United States is entirely a creature of the Constitution. Its power and authority have no other source. It can only act in accordance with all the limitations imposed by the Constitution." Reid v Covert 354 US l (1957)

"When a legislature undertakes to proscribe the exercise of a citizen's constitutional rights it acts lawlessly and the citizen can take matters into his own hands and proceed on the basis that such a law is no law at all." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

wildhawker

I see that you continue to dismiss the opinions of those who brought you wins in Heller and McDonald, as well as every 2A lawyer in the state of California.

If you're truly confident of your argument and legal basis proffered thereto, and if you think that the risks we discuss ad nauseam are not credible, why not proceed with unrestrained LOC or file a lawsuit? I'll not hold my breath waiting for you to do either. You may now continue to preach that overly-simplistic and idealistic message from the warmth, safety, and security of your home.

-Brandon

So now you're the lawyer? No real legal value. Really?

"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." Miller v. U.S. 230 F 486 at 489

"Where rights as secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which will abrogate them." Miranda v. Ariz., 384 U.S. 436 at 491 (1966).

"The general rule is that an unconstitutional statute, though having the form and name of law, is in reality no law, but is wholly void, and ineffective for any purpose; since unconstitutionality dates from the time of it's enactment, and not merely from the date of the decision so branding it. No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law, and no courts are bound to enforce it." - Sixteenth American Jurisprudence, Second Edition, Section 256 137, 180

"Since an unconstitutional law is void, the general principles follow that it imposes no duties, confers no rights, creates no office, bestows no power or authority on anyone, affords no protection and justifies no acts performed under it. No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it." 16 Am Jur 2nd Section 177

"All laws, rules and practices which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void." Marbury v. Madison

"The United States is entirely a creature of the Constitution. Its power and authority have no other source. It can only act in accordance with all the limitations imposed by the Constitution." Reid v Covert 354 US l (1957)

"When a legislature undertakes to proscribe the exercise of a citizen's constitutional rights it acts lawlessly and the citizen can take matters into his own hands and proceed on the basis that such a law is no law at all." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy