• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police/citizen proceedure

Jaysann22

This is true of the "what if's" presented in this thread, as well as any "what if's" presented in any other thread. That's the problems with "what if's". They always lead to more "what if's" and are IMPOSSIBLE to pin down with a definite answer. You can only answer a "what if" question at it's face value. You cannot give an answer that will be reliable or accurate if any other variables of any kind are thrown into the mix.

Understood. But I think most understood I was not asking for strict advice on how to handle an actual altercation or to address a court of law. We all understood (most of us anyway) that I was asking for a reasonable, (to the best of the forum members abilities) to answer the questions (which most did exactly that). I would surely hope no one would be looking for strict legal advice on a forum with people who are mostly unqualified to give such info. The title and post may have been easily confused and if so, I apologize to all, but I did not think to word it in such detail to make it so painstakingly obvious. However, I'll be careful in future posts to make sure such misunderstandings do not occur.

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Point noted. However, isnt derailing threads a trait of a troll as well? Just sayin... :D

You remember that old grade school saying "takes one to know one"? Well sir, I have most certainly never stated I am NOT a troll, nor have I taken any offense when someone has said as much. I am actually a fairly well known troll under a few other names on a few other forums. Some of us have been chatter buggin in this "blogging" thing the new kids talk about back in the days of Usenet and listserv and lived our lives trying to be sure our pine email systems were working for we needed the access keys to the BBS systems.

I do however not troll here. I talked a lot about the topic, you just did not enjoy what I had to say about it. That is a hazard, when you ask a question you supposed to know that you may not like the answer. If you bother to go all the way back to my first response, it was not rude, you got that when you got your nose out of joint because you did not like it and started and when you start with me, you usally will not like it as I see no point in being polite after the fist time.

Peace

Jaysann22

You remember that old grade school saying "takes one to know one"? Well sir, I have most certainly never stated I am NOT a troll, nor have I taken any offense when someone has said as much. I am actually a fairly well known troll under a few other names on a few other forums. Some of us have been chatter buggin in this "blogging" thing the new kids talk about back in the days of Usenet and listserv and lived our lives trying to be sure our pine email systems were working for we needed the access keys to the BBS systems.

I do however not troll here. I talked a lot about the topic, you just did not enjoy what I had to say about it. That is a hazard, when you ask a question you supposed to know that you may not like the answer. If you bother to go all the way back to my first response, it was not rude, you got that when you got your nose out of joint because you did not like it and started and when you start with me, you usally will not like it as I see no point in being polite after the fist time.

Peace

Actually your first post WAS quite rude. You started with empty accusations in which were very judgemental. Maybe you should work on your tact if your intent was otherwise. Secondly, MY post was hardly insulting either. I had no intent to engage or provoke you. I merely stated not to judge or condescend people.

Either way, I am willing to offer a truce. Misunderstandings or not, I am willing to let this go.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
This is true of the "what if's" presented in this thread, as well as any "what if's" presented in any other thread. That's the problems with "what if's". They always lead to more "what if's" and are IMPOSSIBLE to pin down with a definite answer. You can only answer a "what if" question at it's face value. You cannot give an answer that will be reliable or accurate if any other variables of any kind are thrown into the mix.

Yep, it gets real fuzzy real fast. I am actually fairly sure the "deadly force" issue came up because one can use deadly force to resist illegal arrest, that is SCOTUS case law, however I am not too sure how one might be able to apply that to seizure of property.

The worst part about all of it is the simple fact that it can't be defined. While the OP may have wanted true false answers and explanations, they just do not exist. Far too often folks read something and think they know it and go off half cocked while not understanding they may well have violated some other law and now the rules have changed.

Almost like the change in an argument that escalates into violence. The "aggressor" position most folks would say is the one who is "wrong" when in reality it may have shifted back and fourth between the parties SEVERAL times which is why the police usually take everyone to jail and just let the lawyers and judge sort it out.

One of these days I am going to take a long hard look at the history of the laws and see if the turning point from so to speak "reasonable regulation of behavior" became the pawns of politicians. I mean there are so many and for so many stupid ones too! I bet half or the library of congress could burn to the ground and none of what burned would be missed.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Holy crap? Did LMTD and I just get censored?? :confused:

Could be, I have already been asked by the owner of this site to dial it down and out of respect, this site is his property so I will. Perhaps I did not dial it back far enough to suit him. I have no issue with it, his playground, I am an invited guest whom shall act accordingly instead of making him police the post, I am sure he has other things he wants to do.

sohighlyunlikely

WHy I did

WOW. That is about it. I thought the argument was just between me and cshoff. When did everyone else join?

Any time it looks like Cshoff is doubted for his word and needs a character witness. I will chime in. I know him in the real world. He is an excellent fire arm instructor immensely helpful in legal knowledge of Castle Law and other 2nd Amendment issues,and is generous enough to spend the time here to not only share his knowledge on those topics but quote specifically from laws so as to help educate any to who's opinion may be contradictory to the law as it is written.

Doc

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Any time it looks like Cshoff is doubted for his word and needs a character witness. I will chime in. I know him in the real world. He is an excellent fire arm instructor immensely helpful in legal knowledge of Castle Law and other 2nd Amendment issues,and is generous enough to spend the time here to not only share his knowledge on those topics but quote specifically from laws so as to help educate any to who's opinion may be contradictory to the law as it is written.

Doc

I will second that only I do not know him in person. I would also like to add he adds an element of commonsense to it as well.

cshoff

I will have to check you out. I will be down that way in mid September.

It would be my pleasure, ALOTAGLOCK. If nothing else, let me know when you'll be in the area and maybe we can at least get together here on my range and send some lead into some paper.