• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police officer looking for respectful dialoge

wrightme

Cede your rights if you want. Not everyone is willing to. It is entirely proper to refuse to present ID to LE where not required by law. Standing up for your Rights should NOT be seen as beliggerant or confrontational. Remember, it is the cop who chose to interrupt the travels of the citizen, not the other way around. Sans reason, such interruption isn't needed or wanted.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There some cities and states that are quite gun friendly and the LEOs for the most part are OC knowledgeable.

Still I have had the occasion were my ID and permit was demanded. Wanted to know where I lived, where I worked too. No go, no show and yes I went home without any new jewelry.

Imagine if you will being in an area where OC was legal, but heavily resisted by LEA - how many times in a 4 block walk are you willing to stop and be ID just to show you are being cooperative? 2, 3, 4??

When you comply to extra legal, under color of law demands you help to train officers that they can force you with an attitude, be it nice guy or hard nosed. No good will come of that.

Do recommend being even tempered, speaking clearly but politely. Each circumstance will be different and you will have to be the judge of what works for you.

Interestingly enough, in VA one does not even have to have ID on their person when walking - how can I give them what I don't have?

wrightme

Yep, it is the same in Nevada, unless taking part in a state-licensed activity that requires carrying a license/ID.

"Sterile Carry" isn't about sanitation, nor is it about getting spayed/neutered. :eek:

NOTE: Threads discussing "Stop and ID" are best titled: "Stop and Identify."

Last edited:

Medic1210

Still curious about the police impersonator. Was he open carrying or not? There was no mention of him carrying a firearm on his person. That is why I questioned you. You gave four examples of dealing with open carriers. That's why I questioned you. I find it odd a felon would draw attention to himself by illegally carrying a firearm... In the open no less. So, was the felon really open carrying, or was he just carrying a gun on his person? How about the drug head? Same argument. Your example of your cop impersonator seems to be missing that key element... An openly carried firearm. You know, the whole reason you started this thread in the first place?

hammer6

Still curious about the police impersonator. Was he open carrying or not? There was no mention of him carrying a firearm on his person. That is why I questioned you. You gave four examples of dealing with open carriers. That's why I questioned you. I find it odd a felon would draw attention to himself by illegally carrying a firearm... In the open no less. So, was the felon really open carrying, or was he just carrying a gun on his person? How about the drug head? Same argument. Your example of your cop impersonator seems to be missing that key element... An openly carried firearm. You know, the whole reason you started this thread in the first place?

the video said he was

stargateranch

Yes the police impersonators were open carrying. One a rifle one a para 1911.

WalkingWolf

Funny in the media video I did not see the impersonator open carrying a rifle. He did have a rifle in his possession which you unlawfully seized on the basis of his clothing. BTW what is the disposition of the case, is it still open? I would think his attorney would like to see your posts considering your need to embellish what is not true.

Last edited:

stargateranch

Funny in the media video I did not see the impersonator open carrying a rifle. He did have a rifle in his possession which you unlawfully seized on the basis of his clothing. BTW what is the disposition of the case, is it still open? I would think his attorney would like to see your posts considering your need to embellish what is not true.

Sir I am not going to argue with you. Have a plesent day.

Motofixxer

I had someone respond to my "just give your ID" idea with a concern that our name could end up on a report somewhere that we'd been detained, etc. for the dreaded catch all, "gun possession", which would definitely put the kibosh to a CC permit/renewal. That was about the only credible argument that I could see backing.

That's my 0.02 kopeks

PS Ya catch more flies with honey. That's just a plain fact and I usually have a jar with me.

Or maybe your name is a close match to another who...is wanted for questioning, has warrants, or they don't like. Then there is all the possibilities in the video below. It happens everyday all over the country.

[video=youtube;6wXkI4t7nuc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc[/video]

davidmcbeth

Banned
The majority of "encounter" youtubes I've seen have begun with a less than robust initial inquiry from the LEO who generally gets blasted with the "I don't have to give you my ID" song and dance. .

I have seen youtube vids too ... and I have not seen any reply more nastier that what you stated "I don't have to give you my ID." What's wrong with that answer? Nothing for the most part, unless they have RAS or in the process of arresting you.

and once they have your ID they'll hold it until you answer more questions ... so end it right at the beginning and avoid further confrontation.

we don't have to be polite to the police ... police don't want to deal with nasty people? Get a new job.

Medic1210

I'm sorry, but the article says they found items in his truck. So you're saying that his AK47 was being carried on his person and not just in his truck as the article states? Big difference between OC a rifle on your person and having one in your vehicle.

"
That driver, 20-year-old Cooper Deters, was dressed in police-type clothing and combat boots. As troopers searched his truck, they found more evidence, things normal drivers wouldn't carry: a notepad filled with license plate and police dispatch numbers, flex-cuffs and guns.

"He's got a loaded up AK 47 ready to rock and roll in there, an emergency service jacket that you'd throw on to make you look like you're someone official," a trooper says on the video.

Merlin

I just found this thread for the first time, and it has been an interesting read. I won't beat a dead horse on things that have been covered already. I'll respond to your initial statements, and then answer your questions, and offer a few thoughts of my own.

Hello,
Statements, These are my personal beliefs

1. When you open carry the police may be called. I work for the citizens of Utah both those who open carry and those who make the call reporting the activity. I have a duty to investigate even if that means driving by, smiling and waving, and then moving on. Please do not fault me for responding to a request from another citizen..

I understand your contractual obligation to carry out the orders of your supervisors. Observe, report, no contact. You have fulfilled your obligations, and respected my rights.

2. Guns make me nervous, some cops with guns make me nervous. I do not know you weapon handling skills, I do not know your intentions. Nothing personal you just get paranoid doing this job for too long. Why? because I have arrested individuals who were "open carrying" one had felony warrants, one had hidden red and blue lights in his car, one had handcuffs, pepper spray, police jackets, and other items, one had more heroin and syringes in the car then I could shake a stick at. These folks are the exception (I hope) not the rule. Yes I had violations of the law allowing me to identify and detain these individuals not just the fact they were open carrying. So, everyone makes me nervous its not just you..

"Nervous" probably isn't the best choice of wording here, but I get what you are saying. You are "always conscious of the risks inherent to your chosen career field".

3. Confrontational, if you are putting on a firearm then hoping the cops stop you so you can show how smart, right, or awesome you are you are stupid. You may be well within your rights but you are stupid. The purpose of carrying a firearms should be defense. Carry for the right reason..

I think this has been sufficiently addressed, that people exercising rights for rights sake are not stupid. They are heroes, for taking on the added burden of helping you protect your rights, even if you choose not to. Ok, heroes is a bit overstating it, I don't like to throw that word around, but I think you'll get my meaning. Thesaurus failure.

4. Identification, I really just want to earn a paycheck so I can feed my kids and go home to my wife. I understand the reasons for not wanting to provide identification and if you refuse that's fine by me it's your right, assuming you have not violated any laws. But consider this, you know who else refuses to carry ID or identify themselves to police? Drug cartel members (they do it so they don't get deported again), individuals with warrants who have violated the law and refused to handle it correctly. So still not saying you have to ID yourself but it sends red flags to officers. Heck years ago I had an individual who refused to ID himself, long story short he murdered several people in AZ and was on the FBI's most wanted. If you were me would you be seeing warning signs?.

Again, this has been well covered. No RAS, no contact. That preempts the need to ask me for ID.

Questions,

1. Do you mind being contacted in a casual manner? not detained. I seriously just want to talk to you, I love guns and assuming you are not carrying a gigantic piece of crap (hi-point comes to mind) I will ask you how you like it and how it shoots, and maybe if you are selling it (do not tell my wife). Unless you are super busy thats cool too..

I would prefer not to be contacted. I guess the exception would be if you would like to contact me just to tell me that you got a call, were here responding to it, and seeing nothing wrong, you are now going to have a word with the original caller. Many people on this forum wouldn't even welcome that much contact, but for that single situation, I like knowing that my 1st amendment statement about my 2nd amendment rights is getting the word out. If you feel like throwing in a personal "thanks for carrying", I'll accept that too.

2. Why not concealed? From a purely tactical standpoint I would rather have my weapon concealed. A concealed weapon lends to the surprise part of speed, surprise, and violence of action. I am looking for real reasons, not "cause I can". I will accept deterrence as a legitimate reason..

Beat to death already, but yes, deterrence. A close second is the 1st amendment statement, and the opportunity to educate my fellow man, and bring them over to the dark side. I carry the NV Tri-fold that has all of the relevant OC and CC laws, and I give out 2-3 a day. I love that.

3. How do you want to be approached? Like I said before I cannot just ignore a call I get dispatched to. Man with a gun calls are not entirely uncommon, I must respond and make sure no laws are being violated, or are about to be. Is there anyway I can do that without stepping on your toes or making this a huge deal when it does not need to be? Keep in mind I just want to make sure that you are not going to kill or hurt anyone (that doesn't need killin'). I would have a hard time sleeping if I did not confront an armed individual who later killed someones child..

Much of what others said applies here for me. If you don't have RAS, DON'T APPROACH ME. Unless it is to offer to buy me lunch.

4. If you could tell a group of cops anything what would you tell us? I will pass it on to my co-workers and hopefully we can avoid stupidity on both ends..

There have been some very well thought out comments by others in this thread already. I would confirm what they have said.

DON'T use bullying tactics.

DON'T lie, even though you legally can. The lies that officers use in the course of a contact are a LARGE part of why there is such a disconnect between LEO and Civvies. You want us to trust you with our safety? Build trust. My kids can tell you that trust is built through honesty, and NOT using lies as a daily tactic to accomplish your objectives. I can't stress how important this is.

DON'T demand more from me than you are entitled to. In other words, don't ask to search my vehicle, unless you have RAS.

DO assume that I am the head attorney from your local chapter of the ACLU, that everything you say and do in my presence is being recorded, and that one misstep will cost you and your bosses jobs, dollars, and whatever other penalties are allowed by law. No, I am not this person, but if you treat every single person you stop as if they are, you will be off to an excellent start.

And most importantly, take what you have learned here in this forum, and share it with your fellow officers. Especially the trainees. Start them off right to be true protectors of the constitution. One man really can make a difference. The right attitude on the part of just one cop can be contageous in a department. The fact that you came here to learn, and even dealt with getting trolled, speaks to your character. I truly appreciate it. Stick around, participate, and get to know some folks. It only take a handful of us to bridge the gap between LEO and Civvies. Having the trust of the people will help you more in your job than any bullying tactic, or slight-of-mouth tricks.

DON'T participate in fishing expeditions.

Thanks for reading, thanks for replying.

Thanks for your efforts to expand your understanding of an oft-misunderstood topic. I hope what you have gleaned from this exercise will help facilitate your safe return to your family each and every day. And I hope that, when you get home and take the uniform off, you will be one of us. OC with us, you'll be welcome.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I just found this thread for the first time, and it has been an interesting read. I won't beat a dead horse on things that have been covered already. I'll respond to your initial statements, and then answer your questions, and offer a few thoughts of my own.--snip--.

Very well thought out - very well articulated.

wrightme

DO assume that I am the head attorney from your local chapter of the ACLU, that everything you say and do in my presence is being recorded, and that one misstep will cost you and your bosses jobs, dollars, and whatever other penalties are allowed by law. No, I am not this person, but if you treat every single person you stop as if they are, you will be off to an excellent start.
I would sat that this comment is one that would do MORE than any other towards crafting a better public image of LE as a whole than any other.

stargateranch

I would sat that this comment is one that would do MORE than any other towards crafting a better public image of LE as a whole than any other.

Thank you merlin for your comments. I prefer to just treat the people i contact with the same respect that i would want my family members treated.

Merlin

Thank you merlin for your comments. I prefer to just treat the people i contact with the same respect that i would want my family members treated.

But see, that implies that your family and I have the same standards for contact with LEO. We most likely do not. My standards for contact with LEO are 'strict adherence to the law, and respect for my rights'. Your family, as with many Americans, may find "casual" or "friendly" encounters acceptable. I generally do not. Treating someone respectfully != respecting their rights and complying with the law. You can instruct someone, respectfully, to give you their ID, without RAS. Just because you did it respectfully, doesn't mean you did it right.

And besides, does my example of the ACLU attorney and your "golden rule" example actually differ? If they do, then there is part of the problem. My reason for using that example is similar to your "Mormon grandma". It's to establish a context that everyone can understand. If you were faced with my hypothetical nightmare stop, you'd be damn certain to tread carefully, and be certain everything is handled properly WRT the law and my rights. That's my point. Do that consistently on every single contact, and you will singlehandedly improve relations in your jurisdiction.

I think in my reading of this thread that you get this, but it is important that you don't water it down to a "golden rule" policy. While that may seem, on the surface, to be the same thing, I assure you it is not. The two concepts may dovetail nicely, but they are NOT synonymous.

Thanks again, be safe.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

davidmcbeth

Banned
2. Guns make me nervous, some cops with guns make me nervous.
3. Confrontational,
4. Identification,

Questions,

1. Do you mind being contacted in a casual manner?
2. Why not concealed?
3. How do you want to be approached?
4. If you could tell a group of cops anything what would you tell us?

If guns make you nervous, move to NYC or NJ...you'll meet people of the same mindset
I am all in for confrontation .... I thrive on confrontation ... I am highly aggressive ... highly
What are YOU going to say when you ask me an an ID and I tell you to piss off? I NEVER back down

Answer to questions:
1) not at all, as long as you don't mind being yelled at
2) why don't uniformed cops carry concealed? your answer lies there
3) approached? I'm starting to like you ... you don't want to approach me, believe me
4) move along ... nothing to see here