• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Protecting Your Weapon When OCing

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BlaineG wrote:
marshaul wrote:
I didn't say that I, or anybody else on this board, doesn't take some steps to ensure we don't become victims of a gun-grab. We certainly do.

You don't know the first thing about my carry rig or practices, so don't presume to lecture me on my safety precautions.

In my view, this excessive worry is like going on to a car forum and asking why everyone isn't terrified of a car accident. The inevitable response will be, yes, it's a possibility, so we wear seatbelts, but it's such a small likelyhood that we still drive our cars and don't fuss over it too much. And car accidents are much more likely than gun grabs.
Fine, so you're on record that worrying about gun grab is silly.....that's what I addressed in the first place....:lol:
So, you're one of those guys who doesn't bother to actually read/comprehend all of others' posts, are you?

I'm not on record saying any such thing. I can't force you to comprehend my posts, but don't put words in my mouth.

Edit: Here, since your cognitive abilities are so lacking, I'll spell it out for you.

marshaul wrote:
All this worry about gun-grabs
SNIP...
("All this" referring to the thread at hand)

marshaul wrote:
...SNIP
this excessive worry

Can you comprehend the difference between "excessive" and "any at all"?

fullauto223cal

imported post

44H1_0.JPG

This what my department is considering going to. A few guys already bought them themselves and after trying one I'm getting one for my duty belt and a level 2 for off duty carry.

compmanio365

imported post

FogRider wrote:
3/325 wrote:
G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
While in-line at stores and such, I'll always have a "nervous fidget" going on so that I can always continuously be scanning 360 degrees around me. This ends up turning into a little bit of a two-step and keeps my gun from staying stagnant as well. And moving targets are tougher to get! Never get "comfortable" or lazy while in public and OCing.
I do that, too. I wouldn't describe it as a "nervous fidget" as I don't want to appear nervous or edgy while carrying a weapon. It's more of a casual, lazy shifting of weight from one foot to the other that involves some turning in place, like I'm bored and simply passing the time looking around.
I don't know where I picked up on it (probably some Tom Clancy book) but something I started doing is paying attention to reflective surfaces. You can appear to be looking in a window while walking down the street, and get a good view of what's behind you, there is all sorts of shiny stuff at a convenience store, looking at the CCTV monitor doesn't look suspicious but allows you check your six without a nervous 180.
This is exactly what I do to maintain situational awareness while out in public.......that way I'm not looking over my shoulder every 5 seconds and appearing "suspicious", but I am able to see who is behind me and such to make sure I'm not being snuck up on from behind.......

BlaineG

imported post

marshaul wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
marshaul wrote:
I didn't say that I, or anybody else on this board, doesn't take some steps to ensure we don't become victims of a gun-grab. We certainly do.

You don't know the first thing about my carry rig or practices, so don't presume to lecture me on my safety precautions.

In my view, this excessive worry is like going on to a car forum and asking why everyone isn't terrified of a car accident. The inevitable response will be, yes, it's a possibility, so we wear seatbelts, but it's such a small likelyhood that we still drive our cars and don't fuss over it too much. And car accidents are much more likely than gun grabs.
Fine, so you're on record that worrying about gun grab is silly.....that's what I addressed in the first place....:lol:
So, you're one of those guys who doesn't bother to actually read/comprehend all of others' posts, are you?

I'm not on record saying any such thing. I can't force you to comprehend my posts, but don't put words in my mouth.

Edit: Here, since your cognitive abilities are so lacking, I'll spell it out for you.

marshaul wrote:
All this worry about gun-grabs
SNIP...
("All this" referring to the thread at hand)

marshaul wrote:
...SNIP
this excessive worry

Can you comprehend the difference between "excessive" and "any at all"?
Your exact words, Sir: "All this worry about gun-grabs is silly."

I comprehend that just fine, and dandy. If you wish to write something else, I'll be able to understand that, too........ :(Dear Heavens: Another KeyBoard Kommando:p

I'll bet Mommy still dresses you in black everyday:lol:

FogRider

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Funnily enough, I do that too. But I don't read Tom Clancy. I guess we're all born with a tacticool streak. :lol:
Now that I think about it, I know it was Clancy. John Kelly/Clark (a recurring character, he is a hardass CIA spy) is always doing stuff like that.

BlaineG

imported post

marshaul wrote:
I have no time for trolls.
Likewise............. You cut me up and down and still won't own your exactwords......Words have meaning, Bud, so you should say exactly what they mean.....

BlaineG

imported post

marshaul wrote:
All this worry about gun-grabs is silly. We're not cops who have to arrest people for a living.

Most criminals are not insane, nor exactly stupid. Criminals are usually lazy and almost always opportunistic. A bank robbery is easy because all you have to do is write a note and walk out the door. On the other hand, if you make a serious attempt at a gun grab and fail, you will be shot. A gun grab doesn't represent an easy $200, it represents a near guarantee of taking a bullet. Even a criminal will recognize that. They understand simple things like bullets. The kind of criminal insane enough attempt a gun grab is probably already about to start a massacre or something anyway, and with this type of person, I say you had better well be armed.
I thought so................ Your post that I called you on said nothing about excessive worry...... I was going to reconsider, but clearly this statement is different than your back pedal position......Man up, Bubba....

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I never denied any of my words. I quoted the very same words of mine that you then so gleefully repeated, and pointed out that they were a reference to your original post (wherein I think you do display excessive worry). How is this failing to "own" up to my words?

"All this" does not refer to all worry, it refers to all this worry (i.e., the worry at hand, your original post).

I never said that worry is silly. I said that "this" worry is silly.

Here is what I define as "excessive" worry:
BlaineG wrote:
I don't OC...yet.... I think that there is a good chance that in a line or a crowd there is a chance that your piece could be taken away.

The chance is minimal. So, when you come to an OC forum and start taking about it being a "good chance," I think you're a troll, and I call your level of excessive worry "silly."

You are the one so far into his dotage he is unable to take something in context, and in your confusion must resort to attacking others' relative youth.

Edit: I never "back-pedaled." My later use of "excessive" was a clarification, since you seemed to be unable to comprehend the meaning of the word "this."

BlaineG

imported post

marshaul wrote:
I never denied any of my words. I quoted the very same words of mine that you then so gleefully repeated, and pointed out that they were a reference to your original post (wherein I think you do display excessive worry). How is this failing to "own" up to my words?

"All this" does not refer to all worry, it refers to all this worry (i.e., the worry at hand, your original post).

I never said that worry is silly. I said that "this" worry is silly.

Here is what I define as "excessive" worry:
BlaineG wrote:
I don't OC...yet.... I think that there is a good chance that in a line or a crowd there is a chance that your piece could be taken away.

The chance is minimal. So, when you come to an OC forum and start taking about it being a "good chance," I think you're a troll, and I call your level of excessive worry "silly."

You are the one so far into his dotage he is unable to take something in context, and in your confusion must resort to attacking others' relative youth.
Not bad, youngster........I'll bet you shoot real fast....your weapon, too. I got your troll right here...sez she'll be late tonight....:p

BlaineG

imported post

marshaul wrote:
You got me there.

But, I'll have you know, while I may be a "minute man," I am not a "Minuteman."
You're good.....can we shake now? Us old guys can get ornery sometimes...sorry:p

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Something tells me we'd get along just fine in person. :lol:

A shake it is, then. Don't forget, we youngsters have to deal with intolerably short sessions, so we get a little ornery, too.

DEROS72

imported post

This is the way I carry My Para .I,m an old guy and don,t worry much anymore.....I just use basic common sense which you fellas all have and don,t have any problems.

FogRider

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Well, if it was Clancy, does that mean I've seen Goldeneye too many times?
:shock:
Well, it's not the best Bond flik, but still I don't think you can see it to many times. I'm not sure about the connection to Clancy though...

Bear 45/70

imported post

marshaul wrote:
I have no time for trolls.
Blaine a troll?????????????????? He might look like one, but don't be calling him one. I've known him a long time and even banged heads with him a few times. But a troll, never.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

FogRider wrote:
marshaul wrote:
Well, if it was Clancy, does that mean I've seen Goldeneye too many times?
:shock:
Well, it's not the best Bond flik, but still I don't think you can see it to many times. I'm not sure about the connection to Clancy though...

:lol:

There's a scene in Goldeneye where Bond is on the frigate (right before the helicopter is stolen), and some guy randomly comes at him from behind. Bond notices the guy's reflection in some kind of brass rail or something, and thwarts him with a towel. ;)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
When OC I was generally carrying in a SERPA level II, with the tension adjustment at the tightest I can have it and still draw smoothly, strong side between 2:30-3:30 depending with an FBI cant. I have recently modified my carry position and cant to now carrying with no cant at 0300 position. In lines/crowds, I can generally keep my sidearm grip gently squeezed between my torso and elbow while standing casually. I find it a pretty effective starting position from which to retain my sidearm.
The forward cant is safer as a guy behind you has major difficulty getting the gun out and you can see and deal with anyone in front of you.
Perhaps. But then so is a level 4 holster.