• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Protecting Your Weapon When OCing

FogRider

imported post

marshaul wrote:
:lol:

There's a scene in Goldeneye where Bond is on the frigate (right before the helicopter is stolen), and some guy randomly comes at him from behind. Bond notices the guy's reflection in some kind of brass rail or something, and thwarts him with a towel. ;)
Ah. Perhaps I should watch it again.

Bear 45/70

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
When OC I was generally carrying in a SERPA level II, with the tension adjustment at the tightest I can have it and still draw smoothly, strong side between 2:30-3:30 depending with an FBI cant. I have recently modified my carry position and cant to now carrying with no cant at 0300 position. In lines/crowds, I can generally keep my sidearm grip gently squeezed between my torso and elbow while standing casually. I find it a pretty effective starting position from which to retain my sidearm.
The forward cant is safer as a guy behind you has major difficulty getting the gun out and you can see and deal with anyone in front of you.
Perhaps. But then so is a level 4 holster.
With a levelIV, you might as well carry an unloaded gun for as long as it will take you to get it into action.

DEROS72

imported post

With a level 4 you have basically a big stick.You might be able to take it off at throw it at an attacker.

compmanio365

imported post

I didn't think it was "tacticool" or "special" in any way.......I just thought it was common sense to use the environment around you to your advantage. I'd rather know about the 2 guys sneaking up behind me without having to spin 180 every 5 seconds and look like a weirdo.........and I also commonly put an arm over or on the rear end of the gun while carrying if I get into a crowd or a line, where someone is in close proximity but I can't keep my eyes on where their hands are. It makes it much less open for an attempt at a grab.......it's all about situational awareness, more so than any fancy tool with "level 5000 retention!!!11!!".....if YOU can get the gun out of the holster to use it, so can the BG........

Spaceman Spiff

imported post

:idea:If anyone is worried about gun retention there are training classes out there. Insights training center is a great place to start.

Bear 45/70

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
I didn't think it was "tacticool" or "special" in any way.......I just thought it was common sense to use the environment around you to your advantage. I'd rather know about the 2 guys sneaking up behind me without having to spin 180 every 5 seconds and look like a weirdo.........and I also commonly put an arm over or on the rear end of the gun while carrying if I get into a crowd or a line, where someone is in close proximity but I can't keep my eyes on where their hands are. It makes it much less open for an attempt at a grab.......it's all about situational awareness, more so than any fancy tool with "level 5000 retention!!!11!!".....if YOU can get the gun out of the holster to use it, so can the BG........
This isn't TV or the movies. Doing what they do in those venues will get you hurt or killed. They are make believe.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I wear my gun on my strong side, just slightly to the rear. Anytime I'm in a crowded place (line etc), I have a tendancy to compress my elbow against the weapon. I feel I can make this look fairly natural, it doesn't require me to rest my hand on my weapon cop-style (am I the only one who sees cops do this all the time?), and it will make pressing the button on my serpa just hard enough for a BG that I should have a chance to react appropriately, even if it's the little kid in line behind me I never suspected. :p

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:
This isn't TV or the movies. Doing what they do in those venues will get you hurt or killed. They are make believe.
I am also one who uses reflective surfaces to keep awareness of my environment all the time. I also am very aware of shadows. I use those techniques whether walking in the mall or window shopping downtown. I especially use these situational awareness techniques driving a car. While they drive cars in movies and on tv and I have seen actors using their mirrors in scenes and even looking around to see if the big shadow that just fell across their car is a cloud or a semi about to run them over, I don't think that relegates these techniques to make believe or to the "tacticool" category.

I was going to add to keep an ear out as well and to pay attention to what those around you are saying as it could make you aware of a developing problem. But then I realized that the other night in a movie I saw a cop prevent a crime by paying attention and overhearing the BGs planning so I'm not going to suggest that as I don't want to get anyone hurt or killed using movie techniques. ;)

Marshaul - you do exactly what I was referring to earlier. Depending on your carry position, body size, etc. it can either be very easy or rather difficult to do casually. I, like you, am fortunate to be able to do so casually and without drawing any attention.

Nitrox314

imported post

I have a .40 Walther P99 which has no built in safety. I have an Uncle Mikes Paddle Holster for CC, but I would not use for OC because its too easy to pull the pistol out and the fact that there is no Saftey. I have gone out on walks with my dog, and had it nearly fall out from a swift walk. If blackhawk would figure out how populat a Serpa CQC would be for the P99, I would be one of the first customers

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
While in-line at stores and such, I'll always have a "nervous fidget" going on so that I can always continuously be scanning 360 degrees around me. This ends up turning into a little bit of a two-step and keeps my gun from staying stagnant as well. And moving targets are tougher to get! Never get "comfortable" or lazy while in public and OCing.
Which brings up the question, is this type of behavior enough to warrant alarm? I know it would make me nervous and I fully support our 2A rights.

Ravenhawk

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:
I pretty much agree .. Kinda like the old lady at the check out stand that try's to hide her purse/money when paying for her purchase thinking nobody's gonna see.

compmanio365

imported post

Ravenhawk wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:
I pretty much agree .. Kinda like the old lady at the check out stand that try's to hide her purse/money when paying for her purchase thinking nobody's gonna see.

Exactly WTF are you talking about.......where did anyone say anything about TV or movies? Where did old ladies come into this?

Bear, you mind elaborating?

Metal_Monkey

imported post

I have an uncle mikes open carry with little retension...I also have a p90. With my safety on it would take anyone not familuar with Rugers a long time to figure out. Food for though on all you Glock(#1"gangsta" choice)lovers. Also I am usually with the wifey that has a 604 S&W. Even if she is not with me..I still have BUG and a Kershaw. I am smaller, but I can still get down lol I have actually noticed people around me for the most part feel safer when I OC. I have actually had parents with kids near me say stay close and don't bang his gun. No they were not telling there kids to stay close and away from me. I find that people are not as rude also. Not as if they are scared, but they know you are not a person that is "weak". Some people will take the shoes off your feet if you let them haha, not this guy. Rather funny when people come up to me and ask me about my gun. It is not usually a bad thing, most are curious and didnt know it was legal. A lot have said they will now OC also. I beleive if OC becomes as popular as cellphones, then crime will drop dramatically. BUT, AND I SAY BUT if you can not defend yourself if your main pistol is taken from you, you should NOT do so. I recomend one or more; defence class, Back up gun, angry wife, or redbull for OC. Personally I go with the second to last one:celebrate. That alone scares criminals away!!!HAHAHAHA

Bear 45/70

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Ravenhawk wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:

Exactly WTF are you talking about.......where did anyone say anything about TV or movies? Where did old ladies come into this?

You guys aren't James Bond and doing what he does in the movies will get you hurt or killed. TV and the movies are pretend and they work real hard at the pretend part.

Nitrox314

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:
Ravenhawk wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:

You guys aren't James Bond and doing what he does in the movies will get you hurt or killed. TV and the movies are pretend and they work real hard at the pretend part.
Of course, if you do like action, join up with the Marines... They will show you action.

LongRider

imported post

G27 wrote:
First off, if it that crowded I am sure some other people would gang up on that guy in no time.
In The Peoples Republic Of Seattle the people are likely to gang up on the gun owner ass-umeing they are the bad guy. There was some speculation that is what happened in the Seattle Center shooting that Nickles used to illegally ban guns from Peoples Republic Of Seattle parks. That version of the story is someone saw the gun screamed gun and the guy got rat packed. It was during the struggle that the gun discharged. But the Seattle media was never quiet clear on that, instead focused on the guys alledged mental health issues. Than the whole story disappeared

Bear 45/70

imported post

LongRider wrote:
G27 wrote:
First off, if it that crowded I am sure some other people would gang up on that guy in no time.
In The Peoples Republic Of Seattle the people are likely to gang up on the gun owner ass-umeing they are the bad guy. There was some speculation that is what happened in the Seattle Center shooting that Nickles used to illegally ban guns from Peoples Republic Of Seattle parks. That version of the story is someone saw the gun screamed gun and the guy got rat packed. It was during the struggle that the gun discharged. But the Seattle media was never quiet clear on that, instead focused on the guys alledged mental health issues. Than the whole story disappeared

Well, actually Nickles didn't ban anything anywhere. He ordered the department heads to come up with a way to circumvent state law and ban guns. But it has been over 30 days since his little media show and nothing has happened. It won't either because there is no way around the state preemption law.

I agree with you assessment of the Folklife Festival thing is probably pretty good. They never did charge the dude that started the fight.