• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Public Nuisance' laws?

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
PASTATECONSTABLE wrote:
IT CAN BE TAKEN AWAY MORON
'Only thing needs to be taken away is you. 'Hope you maintain that attitude on the street. You WILL BE taken away...
On my full time job deputy sheriff I do maintain it because of so called tough guys like yourself that whine like little school girls when your in the back seat and alone then and on the way to jail.

imported post

jahwarrior72 wrote:
thank you.

sincerely.

i want to thank you, for taking a thread about how local governments are violating state law, and turning it into a professional wrestling match.

thank you for taking our concerns about running afoul of local LEOs who are unaware or ignorant of state laws, and turning it into an episode of "Yo Momma".

thanks for not offering any insight or solutions to the problems we gun owners face.

thank you for inserting venom and bile into a thread intended to show support.

thanks for taking my opinion of PA constables and lowering it 10 notches.

thanks for ignoring any and all facts presented in this thread, and instead, insulting everyone who had an opinion differing from yours.

once again, my original post was about how Lackawanna County was violating preemption. i have made efforts to change this. others here have made efforts to effect changes where they live. we all support each other in our endeavours. apparently, you choose not to. if that's the case, that's okay. i hold nothing against you for it, personally. but why continue to post in this thread, and insult people? you coontribute nothing, to this conversation, or our cause, so why do you bother?

are you just bored? or are you lacking in human contact? i don't understand your logic. i'm just asking that if you don't like what you read here, stop reading, and go somewhere else.

thank you, PASTATECONSTABLE, thank you very much. now, go thank yourself, and thank off.

shows how well you can read to,...I made a point that just because you have a right to carry alot here seem to want to throw that up daily and hourly in peoples faces and thats why the ones that are against it stay against it and fight against you more and all the nut jobs on here went wild because they found someone on here that said yeah you have a right,...so what now quit trying to throw it in everyones faces all the time.

and as far as lowering your opinion 10 notches, I really give a rats ass what your opinion is and by seeing ALOT of the morons that post their vile and sarcastic remarks on here and when they get it back cant seem to stomach it , is what keeps me riding in a sheriffs car 40 hours a week and doing constable work the other 20 to run into trash and garbage like that and take it to the dump where it belongs and hope to get something to stick to get any CWP pulled because their to stupid to have one to begin with let alone the gun

Deanimator

imported post

PASTATECONSTABLE wrote:
jahwarrior72 wrote:
thank you.

sincerely.

i want to thank you, for taking a thread about how local governments are violating state law, and turning it into a professional wrestling match.

thank you for taking our concerns about running afoul of local LEOs who are unaware or ignorant of state laws, and turning it into an episode of "Yo Momma".

thanks for not offering any insight or solutions to the problems we gun owners face.

thanks for ignoring any and all facts presented in this thread, and instead, insulting everyone who had an opinion differing from yours.

once again, my original post was about how Lackawanna County was violating preemption. i have made efforts to change this. others here have made efforts to effect changes where they live. we all support each other in our endeavours. apparently, you choose not to. if that's the case, that's okay. i hold nothing against you for it, personally. but why continue to post in this thread, and insult people? you coontribute nothing, to this conversation, or our cause, so why do you bother?

are you just bored? or are you lacking in human contact? i don't understand your logic. i'm just asking that if you don't like what you read here, stop reading, and go somewhere else.

thank you, PASTATECONSTABLE, thank you very much. now, go thank yourself, and thank off.

shows how well you can read to,...I made a point that just because you have a right to carry alot here seem to want to throw that up daily and hourly in peoples faces and thats why the ones that are against it stay against it and fight against you more and all the nut jobs on here went wild because they found someone on here that said yeah you have a right,...so what now quit trying to throw it in everyones faces all the time.

and as far as lowering your opinion 10 notches, I really give a rats ass what your opinion is and by seeing ALOT of the morons that post their vile and sarcastic remarks on here and when they get it back cant seem to stomach it , is what keeps me riding in a sheriffs car 40 hours a week and doing constable work the other 20 to run into trash and garbage like that and take it to the dump where it belongs and hope to get something to stick to get any CWP pulled because their to stupid to have one to begin with let alone the gun
The law is the law. Obey it, law enforcement or otherwise or there are consequences. OC is legally in and of itself NOT a "public nuisance", in PA, VA, or OH and a bunch of other places. Those who ignore that, tend to end up in court. They tend to end up in debt too.

Your "argument" such as it is appears to be, "Allow yourself to be bullied into giving up your rights, because if you don't, the bullies will bully you some more." Of course I've heard EXACTLY the same argument against not just OC, but concealed carry and firearms ownership in general. Yeah, don't own an AR15, because it scares nitwits. Of course owning ANY gun scares nitwits, so just head down to the next gun buyback and turn in those "scary" guns.

jahwarrior

imported post

On my full time job deputy sheriff I do maintain it because of so called tough guys like yourself that whine like little school girls when your in the back seat and alone then and on the way to jail.
um, it's an LTCF, not CWP. mr. domelights.

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
PASTATECONSTABLE wrote:
jahwarrior72 wrote:
thank you.

sincerely.

The law is the law. Obey it, law enforcement or otherwise or there are consequences. OC is legally in and of itself NOT a "public nuisance", in PA, VA, or OH and a bunch of other places. Those who ignore that, tend to end up in court. They tend to end up in debt too.

Your "argument" such as it is appears to be, "Allow yourself to be bullied into giving up your rights, because if you don't, the bullies will bully you some more." Of course I've heard EXACTLY the same argument against not just OC, but concealed carry and firearms ownership in general. Yeah, don't own an AR15, because it scares nitwits. Of course owning ANY gun scares nitwits, so just head down to the next gun buyback and turn in those "scary" guns.

Thank you Deanimator for a good post, this is exactly what I have been trying to say, but a few on here cant seem to graspthat. Yourpoint on being bullied isa valid point I just think that the few that want to tend to trample on others rights to achieve theirs and excercise theirs go about it wrong.

But you make great pointwithout trying to be sarcastic or well I dont agree so fu.

imported post

jahwarrior72 wrote:
um, it's an LTCF, not CWP. mr. domelights.
whatever nimwhits, sure will see you one day to in court saying but please I really didnt mean to.....

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PASTATECONSTABLE wrote:
Example....I yell fire in a theater, constitutional right (free speech), everyone panics and starts stampeding out and little ole granny gets run over and killed in the process, my CONSTITUTIONAL right to free speech caused that so I presume then by the thinking here I wont be charged with nothing.....WRONG because I will and there are laws against it..but wait what about my CONSTITUTIONAL right to free speech, ...point is you have the right to a point of common sense and that is what I have been trying to say

The "fire" in the crowded theater example is commonly brought up by people who do not understand the concept of a right, attempting to argue that all rights are in fact, privileges.

I'll explain it briefly, as clearly as I can:

The Constitution doesn't grant rights, it enumerates them. A right is anything a person may do in his pursuit of life, liberty, and property (or happiness) that doesn't infringe upon the rights of anybody else to pursue the same. So, a person doesn't have a right, constitutional or otherwise, to yell "Fire" in a crowded theater. By doing so, he infringes upon the rights of the owner to engage in contracts with his customers (a contract to show a movie for a ticket price), and the rights of the customers to not be killed in a stampede for the exit, etc.

As a result, your "fire in a crowded theater" example is entirely irrelevant. OC does not infringe upon the rights of anybody else. End of story.

imported post

marshaul wrote:
PASTATECONSTABLE wrote:
Example....I yell fire in a theater, constitutional right (free speech), everyone panics and starts stampeding out and little ole granny gets run over and killed in the process, my CONSTITUTIONAL right to free speech caused that so I presume then by the thinking here I wont be charged with nothing.....WRONG because I will and there are laws against it..but wait what about my CONSTITUTIONAL right to free speech, ...point is you have the right to a point of common sense and that is what I have been trying to say

The "fire" in the crowded theater example is commonly brought up by people who do not understand the concept of a right, attempting to argue that all rights are in fact, privileges.

I'll explain it briefly, as clearly as I can:

The Constitution doesn't grant rights, it enumerates them. A right is anything a person may do in his pursuit of life, liberty, and property (or happiness) that doesn't infringe upon the rights of anybody else to pursue the same. So, a person doesn't have a right, constitutional or otherwise, to yell "Fire" in a crowded theater. By doing so, he infringes upon the rights of the owner to engage in contracts with his customers (a contract to show a movie for a ticket price), and the rights of the customers to not be killed in a stampede for the exit, etc.

As a result, your "fire in a crowded theater" example is entirely irrelevant. OC does not infringe upon the rights of anybody else. End of story.

ok good point, but what about the right of a person to feel and be secure, true this may not be written on paper somewhere but as someone was trying to argue with me earlier on here.."Government doesnt grant rights" God instills and gives all of us rights, we are born with them, no matter who your God or Creater may be (I say it like that because not all people believe in the same God and some none at all) .

So the people that are scared to see these cowboys, so to speak, out there shoving their rights in theirs faces along with "here have a brochure" are the ones that need to back off some. Just because someone has a right to do something such as OC , it doesnt give them the right then to flaunt that right or intimidate others while doing it and their are some that do which is what I was saying and this forum should be the place for those of you who love to OC to try to rein in those bad apples like that.

I am all for OC, though some here seem to think I am not but unlike them I am not just trying to look in my own backyard but also across the fence at my neighbors because we have to live together, if you know what I mean there.

mvpel

imported post

PASTATECONSTABLE said:
I have stated to you that yes you have the CONSTITUTIONAL right but there are some that try to push the constitution in peoples faces constantly. There is a thing called excercising your rights without being stupid and trampling on others rights to excercise yours.

Some people wear crosses to "push their Christianity in peoples' faces constantly" - I'm Jewish, or I'm an atheist, and that offends and irritates me. Are the Christians "being stupid" and "trampling on others' rights" in order to exercise their First Amendment right to free exercise of religion?

Open Carry was mentioned a number of times in the Heller decision, and it is evident from the tone and character of those mentions that OPEN CARRY is the right which the Second Amendment protects, in the view of the courts.

Licensing schemes for concealed carry have been upheld in courts over the years, in Texas, Georgia, and elsewhere while open carry has been recognized as the individual right. This fact is even in Breyer's self-serving and intellectually dishonest dissent. See pages 39, 40, 41, 57, and dissent page 8.

It is a well-established legal principle that you cannot be forced to get a license or pay a tax to exercise a constitutional right. That's why Churches are tax-exempt, that's why voter registration and voting is free and poll taxes were struck down as unconstitutional, that's why you don't need to get a license to refuse a warrantless search, attend the religious service of your choice, or to write a letter to the editor.

This means that as firearms freedom expands across the country in the wake of the Heller decision, it will expand principally on the front of OPEN CARRY. So, you'd better just get used to it.

If you arrest someone on a trumped-up charge like "disturbing the peace" or "public nuisance" for peaceably carrying openly in compliance with the law, Mr. Constable, remember that you can be held personally liable for violating civil rights under the color of law - the union and department are not permitted by the court to pay your punitive damages.

Deanimator

imported post

PASTATECONSTABLE wrote:
Deanimator wrote:
PASTATECONSTABLE wrote:
jahwarrior72 wrote:
thank you.

sincerely.

Thank you Deanimator for a good post, this is exactly what I have been trying to say, but a few on here cant seem to graspthat. Yourpoint on being bullied isa valid point I just think that the few that want to tend to trample on others rights to achieve theirs and excercise theirs go about it wrong.

But you make great pointwithout trying to be sarcastic or well I dont agree so fu.
Actually, what I said seems to me the polar OPPOSITE of what you said.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you say that we shouldn't exercise our rights even though they ARE rights, because it might upset people who'll take those rights away?

At least that's the way it sounded to me...

SP101

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PASTATECONSTABLE, or should I say, FORMER Sheriffs Deputy, I am forwarding all dialog here directly to Sheriff Rossi, and The Morning Call, to let them see what a fine Deputy we have that would make up charges, and try to force his OPPINION on others here in this Forum. I will call the Sheriffs Department on tuesday, as I don't want to ruin the good Sheriff's holiday.

Thanks for all the evidence, and I'm sure he will be able to figure out which of his deputies you are by the process of elimination. It was nice NOT knowing you.

Deanimator

imported post

PASTATECONSTABLE wrote:
ok good point, but what about the right of a person to feel and be secure, true this may not be written on paper somewhere but as someone was trying to argue with me earlier on here.."Government doesnt grant rights" God instills and gives all of us rights, we are born with them, no matter who your God or Creater may be (I say it like that because not all people believe in the same God and some none at all) .

So the people that are scared to see these cowboys, so to speak, out there shoving their rights in theirs faces along with "here have a brochure" are the ones that need to back off some. Just because someone has a right to do something such as OC , it doesnt give them the right then to flaunt that right or intimidate others while doing it and their are some that do which is what I was saying and this forum should be the place for those of you who love to OC to try to rein in those bad apples like that.

I am all for OC, though some here seem to think I am not but unlike them I am not just trying to look in my own backyard but also across the fence at my neighbors because we have to live together, if you know what I mean there.
Oddly enough, your argument is EXACTLY that made by a famous anti-gunner, Dianne Feinstein, I think. You have NO right to "feel secure". If you DID, then you would have a "right" to censor the History Channel from running shows about killer asteroids and massive volcanic eruptions in Yellowstone.

You're not arguing in favor of protecting rights. You're arguing in favor of catering to irrational fear and whim. If hoplophobes have a (uncodified, even by your own admission) "right" not to see guns, why then do White supremacists not have a similar "right" not to see Black people, and Islamists a "right" not to see the uncovered hair of women?

Tell me, do Black people have a right to go out in public, but not "flaunt" it?

You're arguing at cross purposes to yourself. You need to pick a position and stick with it.

SP101

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PASTATECONSTABLE wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
PASTATECONSTABLE wrote:
IT CAN BE TAKEN AWAY MORON
'Only thing needs to be taken away is you. 'Hope you maintain that attitude on the street. You WILL BE taken away...
For the record

SP101

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PASTATECONSTABLE wrote:
jahwarrior72 wrote:
thank you.

sincerely.

For the record

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PASTATECONSTABLE wrote:

I've bolded the key part:

I wrote:
A right is anything a person may do in his pursuit of life, liberty, and property (or happiness) that doesn't infringe upon the rights of anybody else to pursue the same.

So, the right to feel safe isn't really a right, but not because it isn't enumerated.

Or rather, it is a right, but it doesn't extend to you getting to violate other people's rights to achieve it.

It's just like murder. If someone is a sociopath who finds killing people is their way to "pursue happiness," it still isn't a right of theirs because it infringes upon other's right to not be murdered.

imported post

mvpel wrote:
PASTATECONSTABLE wrote:
I have stated to you that yes you have the CONSTITUTIONAL right but there are some that try to push the constitution in peoples faces constantly. There is a thing called excercising your rights without being stupid and trampling on others rights to excercise yours.

Some people wear crosses to "push their Christianity in peoples' faces constantly" - I'm Jewish, or I'm an atheist, and that offends and irritates me. Are the Christians "being stupid" and "trampling on others' rights" in order to exercise their First Amendment right to free exercise of religion?

Open Carry was mentioned a number of times in the Heller decision, and it is evident from the tone and character of those mentions that OPEN CARRY is the right which the Second Amendment protects, in the view of the courts.

Licensing schemes for concealed carry have been upheld in courts over the years, in Texas, Georgia, and elsewhere while open carry has been recognized as the individual right. This fact is even in Breyer's self-serving and intellectually dishonest dissent. See pages 39, 40, 41, 57, and dissent page 8.

It is a well-established legal principle that you cannot be forced to get a license or pay a tax to exercise a constitutional right. That's why Churches are tax-exempt, that's why voter registration and voting is free and poll taxes were struck down as unconstitutional, that's why you don't need to get a license to refuse a warrantless search, attend the religious service of your choice, or to write a letter to the editor.

This means that as firearms freedom expands across the country in the wake of the Heller decision, it will expand principally on the front of OPEN CARRY. So, you'd better just get used to it.

If you arrest someone on a trumped-up charge like "disturbing the peace" or "public nuisance" for peaceably carrying openly in compliance with the law, Mr. Constable, remember that you can be held personally liable for violating civil rights under the color of law - the union and department are not permitted by the court to pay your punitive damages.

Agree with you 100%, and yes your point of the Christians shoving their cross in your face is also wrong, thats the point I am trying to make if someone wants to excercise their right just have common sense about it.

A guy legally OC his gun with a handful of brochures in the middle of 10 ole ladies and saying "here take my brochure" is doing one thing and one thing only....intimidating old ladies, bottom line and they can argue till the end of time otherwise but that is what they are doing and wanting to feel like a cowboy amongst them.

As far as arrest someone for OC, hell no not as constable or as a sheriff, because it is legal, now out and about as a sheriff if I have a justifiable and reasonable suspicion then I may detain you briefly (which is perfectly legal according to the USSC) until I know nothing is wrong,. Key words here before people jump all over that.....justifiable and reasonable

SP101

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PASTATECONSTABLE wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
PASTATECONSTABLE wrote:
Well I have a RIGHT(since you think big black bold letters make what you say more important) to call you a dumb a** correct? , but I will prove my point here because you will respond all upset and po'd. Now if I do that time and time and time again week in and week out well my CONSTITUTIONAL right of free speech is being excercised here but because I am doing it doesnt make it right to BE doing it all the time.

Keep slapping that right in peoples faces all the time and it CAN be taken away, you seem to think it cant but enough people get tired of it and an amendment is introduced to your CONSTITUTIONAL right then it will and can be taken away.
Talk about a computer Rambo... You're so full of yourself you reek. Intentionally causing panic by yelling Fire... where there is none is not Freedom of speech. There's laws against that already. That's not 1A. My big bold letters were /are not what "I" say... but what SCJ Scalia said. You musthave some sort of reading comprehension disability... which explains why you're little more than a glorified meter maid than a real cop. I OC here in AZ daily... 'have for many several years. Why is it that people in AZ are any different than people in PA? The government cannot take away a pre-existing RIGHT moron. Rights are not something granted by government. You don't quite comprehend that do you? Rights are recognized as 'actual' Pre-existing freedoms we are born with. The Right to self defense being one of those. As such, we have the Right to the means of such self defense. Got that? Denial of natural pre-existing Rights is Tyranny. Now go polish your pathetic Constable badge while that sinks in.
hey stupid, grab some crayons and a piece of paper and try drawing along here, I know your slow so will pause a second for you to comprehend what those are..............................................................., times up...., stupid arizona jerk it doesnt matter if your from az, ak, pa, ms or whatever state, your constitution is the same as mine and your right is the same as mine and IT CAN BE TAKEN AWAY MORON
For the record

Deanimator

imported post

PASTATECONSTABLE wrote:
Agree with you 100%, and yes your point of the Christians shoving their cross in your face is also wrong, thats the point I am trying to make if someone wants to excercise their right just have common sense about it.

A guy legally OC his gun with a handful of brochures in the middle of 10 ole ladies and saying "here take my brochure" is doing one thing and one thing only....intimidating old ladies, bottom line and they can argue till the end of time otherwise but that is what they are doing and wanting to feel like a cowboy amongst them.

As far as arrest someone for OC, hell no not as constable or as a sheriff, because it is legal, now out and about as a sheriff if I have a justifiable and reasonable suspicion then I may detain you briefly (which is perfectly legal according to the USSC) until I know nothing is wrong,. Key words here before people jump all over that.....justifiable and reasonable
So then, would you 'briefly detain" someone passing out religious tracts in a public sidewalk without unduly impeding traffic or violating noise ordinances, etc? I'm an agnostic. What if that "intimidates" me? Should you be able to use the armed power of the state to protect my FEELINGS? How about if the anti-gunners ignore my gun, and I ignore the Pentecostals or whoever is passing out the tracts?

mvpel

imported post

PASTATECONSTABLE wrote:

Okay, but what we're talking about here in this thread is someone being arrested for "public nuisance" or "disturbing the peace" for doing nothing more than carrying openly in compliance with the law.

Think about what kind of s--tstorm would come down on your head if you arrested someone on either of those charges while wearing a cross and handing out Christian evangelical literature. Is that person "intimidating" non-Christians? Imagine if you tried to justify treating the cross ("it's an object!") around the neck of the person you put in handcuffs as a "public nuisance" because some Jews or atheists were, or might have been, offended.

There is no "right not to be offended." If someone is "intimidated" by a peaceable person carrying a sidearm, they need psychological therapy, not police force. Offending someone you're not even looking at is not "trampling on their rights."

I'm thankful that you recognize it as legal, however, please consider whether you are permitted to detain someone solely on that basis, as has been done over and over again across the country as documented in this forum.

If you see someone peaceably carrying a sidearm, doing absolutely nothing out of the ordinary, do you have any articulable suspicion that a crime is being or is about to be committed?

The Terry v. Ohio case doesn't apply here. In that case, as I'm sure you know, Terry and his cohorts were watched for several minutes before the first contact was made as they were casing a shop for a robbery. There were very specific actions that they took, and which were described by the officer involved, as clearly characteristic of a casing operation. The warrantless search of their outer clothing was for the purpose of officer safety, to find CONCEALED weapons that might pose a threat to the officer.

If someone is carrying OPENLY, doing NOTHING else suspicious, then Terry is doubly irrelevant - you already know they're armed, so you don't have to search their outer clothing for weapons, and you have no basis on which to initiate any investagatory detention since there is no reason to think that they are breaking or about to break any law.

Are you legally permitted to pull an adult over while they're driving the speed limit and breaking no other traffic laws just to check whether or not they have a valid drivers' license? It's the same thing with open carry.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

This PA Constable whatever clown... is a thug. Other than having a major short between the headset... I detect some socio personality deficiencies that (IMHO) should preclude him frombearing armsat all. He's what (as cops) we used to call a 'goof'. 'Be interesting to know what the Sheriff's reaction to this dude will be... and if in fact he is what he has claimed. Impersonatinga police officer is a felony. 'Dunno if that applies to the internet... but somebody would know.