• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick question...

Nascar24Glock

I ment verbally attacking, and I dont think by what I said pushed them to the point where they want to attack. They pushed themselfs to that's point. I didn't say a word to them until they were all yelling **** over each other at us. Now I think if the police came I should have been In the clear, and if I have to take a 80$ ticket that's fine by me.

I'd love to hear what you guys seriously would do in a situation that it's a 80% chance three guys are going to beat your ass. And remember nay Sayers. Your gun is nothing more then a fancy watch that you have refused to use as anything other then a paper weight...

And to the guys/girls who say I'm trying super hard to "justifie myself" I already know I did the right thing. To the people who are not going to use your firearms give the damn things up. They are not made just to be looked at. Or to make people think your tough. Cases like mine is a good example of when to brandish your firearm.

I don't know what your religious beliefs are or how much value you give to that sort of thing. But, there's a very good nugget of truth to be found in the Christian Bible, Book of Proverbs, that applies very appropriately here:

Proverbs 15:1 "A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger."

Indeed, that is what happened here. Keep in mind that most people consider the "F" word to be offensive; people like those three guys will consider it to be "fighting words." Therefore, by saying "shut the **** up," you "stirred up anger." Whether you like it or not, society has deemed the "F" word to be, at best, an obscenity, and a provocation, at worst.

Next time, try a "soft answer." Now, I'm not suggesting that you offer to hold their hand and sign Kumbaya (I'm not THAT niave). But, you could have said "sirs, I don't appreciate your language and would appreciate it if you would stop." If they persist and start acting threateningly, then put on your best "drill sergeant or police officer" command voice and say "sirs, I am beginning to perceive you as a threat; if you don't stop (fill in the blank with the threatening actions they're doing; for example, all three walking toward you with a menacing look on their face), I may be forced to take action to defend myself." Bottom line, don't use curse words and don't use "gansta" language in telling them to back off. Make sure that you don't use any threatening or obscene hand gestures either (this includes the middle finger).

Now, the good thing is that you and your wife are alive and uninjured, thanks to drawing and showing your weapon. I think you made a good call in showing it without pointing it at them. And, there is a good chance that these goons may have charged you anyway. But, next time, don't incite them into doing it.

jpm84092

Wife/girlfriend pretty much same thing as we just got married.

I think my judgment on this forum had definantly changed as u feel like some of you are just real trash talkers as well. It's that or you have never been in a real confrontation like this. Pick threw the story all you guys want at the end of the day you have nothing more then a fancy paper waight on your hip.

Goodbye opencarry.org and all the ******** here.

@Newbie

Sir, you may wish to examine your maturity meter. Deciding to quit this forum because others disagree with you is, well, perhaps hasty and ill-advised.

I admit that I did criticize you for your admitted statement of "shut the F--k up". Hey pardner, them's fighting words - as the Duke would put it. And, as I and the Firearms Instructor put it, a jury of your peers may not perceive that you were entirely innocent. (Think - the current case in Southern Florida as an example.) We have your best interests at heart - at least I do. I, for my part, do not criticize your "brandishing" of your firearm to diffuse the situation, but I do not think that the events leading up to the need to do so were not well thought out. Let this be a lesson to all of us - to be devoid of strong emotion (and resulting vocal utterances) in our decision to use deadly force to defend ourselves and our loved ones. Our decision to use deadly force must come from an immediate and unavoidable threat.

Newbie, I am anything but a newbie. You can, if you wish, search out what others on this forum have posted about me and my strengths and weaknesses as a personal protection instructor. And, now I have an offer for you. As a professional personal protection expert, I would like to offer you some free personal protection counseling and instruction the next time I visit Wisconsin (likely the last weekend in August). You can find my credentials listed at the bottom of this post. It is my sincere wish that all my friends in Wisconsin have the training they need to have the knowledge, skills, and attitude to properly, morally, and successfully protect themselves and those they love. I have no other motivation.

Mr. Newbie, you asked a question on this forum. The members have responded. Consider their opinions and move on. But, please do not continue to defend your position. You did the right thing needed to be done after doing the the wrong thing. That's a fact - Jack. And, if that is unpalatable to you, perhaps retiring from this forum is the right thing to do.

Yellow Cat Out -

HandyHamlet

Now was I in the wrong or right?

Gotta love the interwebs.

NFG asks question about 1st person tale but really wants an "atta boy!"

Doesn't get one.

Cries like a little girl, takes bat and ball and goes home.

Repeat.

Last edited:

LoneEchoWolf

Gotta love the interwebs.

NFG asks question about 1st person tale but really wants an "atta boy!"

Doesn't get one.

Cries like a little girl, takes bat and ball and goes home.

Repeat.

I have reason to belve this guy was a troll, he couldnt even keep his own story straight in one sentence, called his "Wife" his "girlfriend." or he needs to re read what he writes and edit it. but i cant think of one reason why someone really married would ever call there wife there girlfriend.

Law abider

Don't use profanity to shut a provocateur up. You loose your right to defend yourself bec you escalated the situation. But I am no expert. Just my 2 cents worth. Be innocent of all provocations.

M

McX

Newbie, this place used to be alot more fun. maybe rather than sitting here, you should have come to the cook out.

Trip20

<snip>...Simply because I told them to shut up your saying I was in the wrong. And that by saying to shut the **** up that is provoking them to the point of a fight? Now let me ask you, have you ever told someone to shut up and simply by saying that it causes a fight?....<snip>

As has been described to you multiple times......

When you verbally responded to these punks telling them to "shut the **** up," you challenged them. Typically when you challenge people you can expect a response greater than or equal to what you were experiencing before your comment -- case in point they began to rush you as a result.

You caused that situation. That's where you were wrong. Had you ignored the comments and left the parking lot none of this may have happened. That's what everyone is trying to tell you.

How is it you can't grasp that your response escalated the situation? Look at it in reverse... THEIR initial actions escalated the situation forcing you to respond because you couldn't control your anger when they began to insult your wife. They then responded to your comment with greater threat... and so on. You had an opportunity to break that chain of escalations by ignoring and not responding. You chose otherwise. People are pointing this out so you can learn from it. Next time you may not intimate people by the sight of your firearm.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Next time you may not intimate people by the sight of your firearm.

Unloaded!

And he calls it jewelry for us? At least mine always has a loaded mag in it and is usually on me.

What if these punks had bad mouthed you INSIDE the Wal-Mart when you firearm was in your trunk?

Firearms Iinstuctor

Over years I have had several people in class no matter how much you explain to them.

What and why they have done wrong and how to go about an improve.

They have the correct answer.

One just hopes they don't drag you down with them.

Just came to see the "static" I got here for the last time.

Now I already said once before in this thread. I keep a *spare* pistol in the trunk of my car. Meaning its a unused gun that is called a spare or extra. Meaning this is not my "carry" gun. Meaning it sits in the trunk of the car 95% of the time. Unless I take it out to let a friend shoot it, or if I don't carry that day I have one in the car for when I go hiking/camping/ whatever other reason I want it for.

Also I already said, I have a ccl but I was not carrying that day. The heat wave was hot here and I didnt have clothing on that could hide a firearm and i chose not to carry that day. So my carry gun was at home on my bedside holster.

Also I know iv met a couple of you in person and I know that you guys would not talk like such ******** in person. Doing it on the Internet in front of other people does not make you seem "cool" here. So knock it off.

Also, my question was not to justifie me pulling the gun or my actions. Just wanted to know the trouble I could have got in. Also in the heat of the monument I don't think anyone of you will stop and say "hey sit. I don't like that"

I'm talking about a real life situation not something that you can play out in your head a million times. It's not going to go as smooth as you think.

And are you guys really that ****** of men that you won't stick up for your wife's? She must consider you guys real winners.

Last but not least I'm not here to be anyone's friend. Just here to learn a thing or two and skim threw the bulshit comments that get posted. Mature or not, I'm not here to satisfie any of you. That's the realistic fact here. And I'm sure a bunch of you feel the same but don't want to post it. I'm not going to be mr. Nice guy and side with the people with the "high post counts"

And yes it is useless if your not going to use it. And let's all drop the shocked act I pulled a gun and put it at my side. I didn't load the thing chase them down and put the pistol in there mouth. I did what I had to do. Cuss words or not. An I'd take that 80$ disorderly conduct ticket anyday to teach a few punks a lesson about talking **** to a stranger. So I guess you guys could call me a "firearms instructed" as well now. I can I tought and I may have changed a couple lives.

Trip20

You're not here to learn sh!t. You've proven that. People pointed out where you went wrong and you're not at all receptive to the fact that you may have handled a portion of your situation poorly.

paul@paul-fisher.com

And are you guys really that ****** of men that you won't stick up for your wife's? She must consider you guys real winners.

My wife likes me just fine. Unlike you, I carry even when "it's too hot" to carry and have it loaded but she knows I'm a man enough that I don't need to wave my firearm around to prove I'm cool.

And yes it is useless if your not going to use it. And let's all drop the shocked act I pulled a gun and put it at my side. I didn't load the thing chase them down and put the pistol in there mouth. I did what I had to do. Cuss words or not. An I'd take that 80$ disorderly conduct ticket anyday to teach a few punks a lesson about talking **** to a stranger. So I guess you guys could call me a "firearms instructed" as well now. I can I tought and I may have changed a couple lives.

The penalty for a Class B misdemeanor may include a fine up to $1,000, or imprisonment for up to 90 days, or both; however, for a repeat offender, the term of imprisonment increase up to 2 years. There would also be a firearm enhancer which turns it into, I believe, a felony.

I thought you were going away?

MKEgal

paul said:
No, you said 30-40 feet. According to the Teuler drill, 21 feet is about the limit before you need to make a shoot/no shoot decision if they are running at you.
Semi-nitpick...
The Tueller Drill says that if you wait until they're at 21', you might be able to hit them with one shot.
The amount of time it takes to close 21' at a run is about the same amount of time it takes to get a grip, draw, do some slight aiming, & fire.
So make that decision before they get that close.

paul said:
you turned a verbal altercation to one involving firearms.
This.
If you really wanted to protect yourself & your wife, why did you escalate the situation?
The safer (but obviously harder) thing to do would be to keep an eye on them but keep your mouth shut.
Or even warn them to stay away, you will defend yourself... with no swearing.

newbie said:
my question was not to justifie me pulling the gun or my actions.
Sorry, that seems to be the way everyone read your initial question:
"Now was I in the wrong or right?"
And the word is "justify".

I did what I had to do. Cuss words or not.
Also in the heat of the [strike]monument[/strike] moment I don't think anyone of you will stop and say "hey sit. I don't like that"
I think that a lot of people who have posted here are more level-headed & mature, & would do whatever they could (including swallowing their pride/ego) to avoid escalating a problem to the point where deadly force enters the picture.
And while you don't have to address the punks respectfully, what you did was in nobody's imagination anywhere close to de-escalating.
Did you ever stop to think (apparently not) that by being calm & solid (for lack of a better term) you would be not responding as they thought you should, & that might have thrown their confidence & made them hesitate to attack you?
The calm confident demeanor of "I can protect myself" throws people.
If you're not reacting the way the predators expect, they're going to know something is wrong (from their point of view).

You might want to google ["monkey dance" violence] & learn about social violence.
The group monkey dance.
Violence dynamics.
And an essay on unpredictable violence.

And are you guys really that ****** of men that you won't stick up for your wife's?
She must consider you guys real winners.
Stick up for their wife's what?
Speaking as a woman, I'd prefer someone who has the common sense & maturity to AVOID a problem, or at least avoid making it worse, rather than someone who is so hot-headed he'll pick a fight or escalate a situation.
The married men on this forum whom I've met in person I think would care for their wives enough to want to keep them out of danger if at all possible.

let's all drop the shocked act I pulled a gun and put it at my side.
I don't think any of us is upset about you stopping what was shaping up to be a 3-on-1 beatdown.
The problem was that you didn't do what you could to avoid or de-escalate it.

An I'd take that 80$ disorderly conduct ticket anyday to teach a few punks a lesson about talking **** to a stranger.
I suggest you grow up & lose the attitude before you carry again, or it's possible that child your new wife is going to have will grow up visiting you in prison.

And I suggest you learn the laws before you make any more bad decisions.
DC is not a forfeiture.
947.01 Disorderly conduct.
(1) Whoever, in a public or private place, engages in violent, abusive, indecent, profane, boisterous, unreasonably loud or otherwise disorderly conduct under circumstances in which the conduct tends to cause or provoke a disturbance is guilty of a Class B misdemeanor.
939.51 Classification of misdemeanors.
(3) Penalties for misdemeanors are as follows:
(b) For a Class B misdemeanor, a fine not to exceed $1,000 or imprisonment not to exceed 90 days, or both.

I have asked my brother he has got 6 dc tickets he told me each one cost from 80$ to 120$ so I'll go with something that I know is the truth up to means that they can go up to it... Not your first one is going to be $1000

My aditude is fine. Like I said I'm not here to be your friend. Nor do I want to be buddie buddie with someone on the Internet.

Paul I can care less how or where you carry do what you want with your firearms. The topic was not about you.

Anyways I got my question answered and the day I take life lessons from anyone on the Internet is the day I die. Half the stuff said is bs, other half I have no idea what your saying.

Also just wait for the day your in a real confrontation it's not going to go so smooth and your not going to yell hey sr. Please stop it. In your proper voice lol. I'd like to see a thug stop from saying that... Lmao seriously play it out in your head you to will even get a good laugh lol.

paul@paul-fisher.com

I have asked my brother he has got 6 dc tickets he told me each one cost from 80$ to 120$ so I'll go with something that I know is the truth up to means that they can go up to it... Not your first one is going to be $1000

So... his DC tickets involved a firearm?

Also just wait for the day your in a real confrontation it's not going to go so smooth and your not going to yell hey sr. Please stop it. In your proper voice lol. I'd like to see a thug stop from saying that... Lmao seriously play it out in your head you to will even get a good laugh lol.

:banghead: It wasn't a CONFRONTATION until you opened YOUR mouth! :banghead:

Also, as I said, when I had people picking on me, I just stood there and smiled at them. No guns were drawn and the people acting like ******** just ended up walking away.

Last edited:

Outdoorsman1

MKEgal said...

I suggest you grow up & lose the attitude before you carry again, or it's possible that child your new wife is going to have will grow up visiting you in prison.

Newbie.... If you beleive anything here beleve this.... Think what you will about the advice given here and those that gave it. Leave this forum if you wish but, for the sake of your family please take the above quote in the seriousness it was offered as well as the EXTREME SERIOUSNESS of the FACT that it is TRUE...

If you want to be around in the future to protect your family, and not end up as someone that is badder than you's girlfriend, take heed at the advice given...

Good Luck...

Outdoorsman1

Trip20

... the day I take life lessons from anyone on the Internet is the day I die. Half the stuff said is bs, other half I have no idea what your saying.

Maybe you don't remember asking this question...

Last week at Walmart in west bend I Was loading my stuff in the trunk of my car, I heard someone yell something to me from about 30-40 feet away. I turned around and said what and the three guys imidiatly started talking crap no idea what about so I kept doing what I was doing then they said something about my wife so I turned around and told these punks to shut the f up. The three guys then started running at me while I was loading the trunk of the car my girlfriend told me to turn around and I quickly grabbed my pistol from the trunk unloaded I pulled it out and put it down by my side and turned around. Is that justifiable reason to pull it out? If I had the few extra sec I would have loaded the gun.

Now I figured it would have been justified because I thought these kids were going to beat my ass, and after the gun came out the split so fast. I told my friend about this today and he said I could have got in a lot of trouble.

Now was I in the wrong or right?

1343096092.jpg

You asked people to evaluate your behavior in the events you described (which, for all we know might as well be fabricated mall ninja BS), then whine about the responses you received. Why can't you act like a grown-up and take some constructive criticism?

If you were hoping to receive high fives and relate to people through your stupid behavior you came to the wrong place, bro.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

" have asked my brother he has got 6 dc tickets he told me each one cost from 80$ to 120$ so I'll go with something that I know is the truth up to means that they can go up to it... Not your first one is going to be $1000 "

County and Mun. Ord. violations for DC results in citations. Being arrested on Sate DC is a differant matter.

Must run in the family to have loud foul mouth Any body who gets that many DC citations has a problem.

I know the type well they just never learn no matter how many times you cite or arrest them. They are allways right and the cops are just picking on them.

Lets just hope newbe has taken some words of advice and we don't read or hear about him doing something stuiped that gets him into real trouble.