• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Radio frequency ID chips

Logan 5

If person or persons unknown are tracking you without your consent, you can stop them from tracking you, can't you? What they are doing is stalking, right?
If so to both, then what the heck- get a small scrambler to block the signal, right? That should be legal. Except that can also affect other transmitters and cell phones.

Freedom1Man

If person or persons unknown are tracking you without your consent, you can stop them from tracking you, can't you? What they are doing is stalking, right?
If so to both, then what the heck- get a small scrambler to block the signal, right? That should be legal. Except that can also affect other transmitters and cell phones.

Would wrapping the RFID tracker thing in foil disable it?

Anonymouse

Would wrapping the RFID tracker thing in foil disable it?

No, aluminum foil doesn't block RFID. There are wallet and such with materials that do block it however.

Let me rephrase. Conductive material can block the radio frequencies but not well unless it is meshed. You would need to wrap it in a lot of foil.

Aluminum mesh would work very well though.

The wallets and such utilize various materials that act as a sort of Faraday cage.

aluminum-mesh.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

No, aluminum foil doesn't block RFID. There are wallet and such with materials that do block it however.

Let me rephrase. Conductive material can block the radio frequencies but not well unless it is meshed. You would need to wrap it in a lot of foil.

Aluminum mesh would work very well though.

The wallets and such utilize various materials that act as a sort of Faraday cage.

aluminum-mesh.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

A Faraday cage does not have to be a mesh.

http://www.rpi-polymath.com/ducttape/RFIDWallet.php

I had to deal with a RF blocked room before and aluminum foil worked rather well.

Logan 5

Yeah, I suppose those things can work. Provided you know where the tracker is at. Otherwise I suggest using a scrambler. Except, are those legal?

Logan 5

OC, my query stands- "Yeah, I suppose those things can work. Provided you know where the tracker is at. Otherwise I suggest using a scrambler. Except, are those legal?"
If you want to wrap your pistol in foil, don't let me stop you, but if anything performance will suffer. On the other hand, unless you have "something" to block the signal outright....
Dare I mention spark gap generators? And those are illegal.

Does it improve law enforcement to know where every gun is? If anything I think it is only a simpler method of gun control.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--
Dare I mention spark gap generators? And those are illegal.
QUOTE]

Spark gap transmitters are the oldest type of radio transmitter made by man. They were first used around 1888 and remained legal until the 1920s when their use became greatly restricted. World War II delayed their complete ban outside of emergency communications for a few years. Now the only way to use them legally is inside a faraday cage. They operate as jammers for the same reason they were banned, they take up a lot of the radio spectrum.
http://radiohax.wikispaces.com/Spark+gap+transmitter

But.......Street and parking lot lighting use them. There are numerous other applications and can be purchased retail including online.

See this unusual item:
http://www.surplussales.com/equipment/sparkgap.html