• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recommendations For First-Time Gun Buyer (Austin, TX)

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
A full size model? None of these Defender or Commander sizes? And without an oversized t-shirt? I'd like to hear about them...and how much you weigh.

Yes, a full size model. In a decent IWB holster. Or a slim pancake holster. I am 6' 4" and weigh about 190. I am skinny as a rail. Is it my first choice for concealment? No. Is it ridiculous to conceal a 1911? No. I guess it would depend on the individual person and their comfort level. Just trying not to discourage the guy from trying out a 1911. I think we can all agree that the 1911 is one of the greatest pistols ever made, right?

SovereignAxe

Yes, a full size model. In a decent IWB holster. Or a slim pancake holster. I am 6' 4" and weigh about 190. I am skinny as a rail. Is it my first choice for concealment? No. Is it ridiculous to conceal a 1911? No. I guess it would depend on the individual person and their comfort level. Just trying not to discourage the guy from trying out a 1911. I think we can all agree that the 1911 is one of the greatest pistols ever made, right?

Yes, it is. But I'm 5'9" 160lbs, so yeah, the P99 is plenty heavy for me IWB. A 1911 weighs nearly twice as much as my P99. I'm sure you COULD conceal one if you HAD to. But like you said, it wouldn't be your first choice, so why would you expect it to be his?

It's a great gun, and I'd love to have one and would probably OC one on certain days if I did, but on days and events that I knew I was going to conceal, the 1911 would be staying at home.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
i never understood comparing weights of handguns for carry. they're hand guns, they're all relatively small
(hence the name handgun.) okay a 1911 is HEAVIER than a glock.... but its still a handgun, most wouldn't consider it to be a heavy object. like do you guys get tired out from walking down the street if you have a 1911 on your hip as opposed to a LCP?

you guys do wear belts...right?

edit: i've CC'd a government size 1911 plenty.... its just another handgun

Last edited:

Ma}{imus

i never understood comparing weights of handguns for carry. they're hand guns, they're all relatively small
(hence the name handgun.) okay a 1911 is HEAVIER than a glock.... but its still a handgun, most wouldn't consider it to be a heavy object. like do you guys get tired out from walking down the street if you have a 1911 on your hip as opposed to a LCP?

you guys do wear belts...right?

edit: i've CC'd a government size 1911 plenty.... its just another handgun

IMHO for someone unaccustomed to carrying a handgun for prolonged period of time, size and weight do matter.

Swyped from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Ma}{imus

Haha...seriously though, I know people who have no problem carrying a 1911 and others who have difficulty with that size frame. It boils down to personal comfort level.

Kudos to your muscles though.

tim12232

A full size model? None of these Defender or Commander sizes? And without an oversized t-shirt? I'd like to hear about them...and how much you weigh.

None of these Defender or Commander? Well last time I checked my 4.25 inch Commander is still a 1911, still has the full size frame, and if your ready for this, I am 5'7" 140 lbs. and can fully conceal my bobtail 1911 pancake with just a regular shirt, and I dont wear loose fitting clothes either. is it heavier than my glock 19? a bit, but I dont notice it with my gun belt and honestly my glock 19 is harder to conceal than my 1911. Sorry for the folks that are so nervous about carrying a 1911....its been good enough for 100 years 2 world wars, and many more conflicts. its accurate shoots very well, and carries that nasty ol .45 acp :uhoh:

but for real, shoot as many as you can, and carry what you are going to feel comfortable with!

Tim

spiderjohn

Just a note: if you've tried one XD or Glock, you've pretty much tried them all. the only differences are in the length of slide or grip (and obviously weight is going to affect recoil). ergonomics are identical except that the XD(m) has a slightly different textured grip and the Glocks' texture changes over the generations.

Well, at least to me, the XD has much better ergonomics than the Glock. I think the angle of the grip on the XD is much better than the Glock. Just my humble opinion.

You have to get what fits you...Glocks didn't do it for me.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Well, at least to me, the XD has much better ergonomics than the Glock. I think the angle of the grip on the XD is much better than the Glock. Just my humble opinion.

You have to get what fits you...Glocks didn't do it for me.

I agree with you on this one. By the way, the XD grip angle was copied from the 1911.

jayspapa

If you have never owned a handgun or any other firearm before , please sign up to take a beginner handgun course. Learn the rules of safely handling a firearm and never slack off from following those rules. This should be done before you go anywhere to start shooting loaners , for your safety as well as others.

Like others have said , go in a gun shop and handle the ones that appeal to you . Then you can get an idea as to what type you want.

Good luck to you and remember to be safe.

1245A Defender

Wow!!

You Guys got trolled!!!
Everybody Say Hi, and welcome to the new guy!!

He has been lurking for a month,, but doesnt even have enough sense to know there are about 20!
threads about "what kinds of gun should I to get".
He could have "Rick rolled" you guys.

How stupid is a thread of, "what kind of gun should I get?"

I have thought about a similar thread,,,

I just started dressing myself.
What style of slacks should I buy to go with my shoes?

He has ONE post!! !!!! !!!!

I dont think he will be back!
He got 30 replies out of 1 stupid question,
So far he is ahead!

j4l

Since you have to CC I would think about how you want to carry it. Inside the waistband is popular but for me was uncomfortable. I pocket carry a Sig P220 compact. How you carry can affect what size model you want.

Kahr makes some great small/concealable guns like the PM9, MK40. They are a bit more expensive than some others but have good quality.

So go to a few ranges and fire different models and calibers. You will quickly come to find which ones you like and don't like. Once that list is narrowed you can investigate prices and options (trigger, night sights, finish).

I recommend people buy whatever they can shoot well. If that is a 22LR for you then great. Try different calibers and for self defense use the highest caliber you can shoot well and control.

I like 45acp because its size (hollow point expansion) and lack of over penetration. Many people stay away from higher calibers thinking the recoil would be much worse than something like a 9mm. In actuality the recoil is "different" and I prefer a 45 recoil over a 9mm or 40s&w.

Good luck and remember you don't have to buy just one. :)

Bingo^^ And Ill add this- try .45 1st, at a minimum- before your "perceptions" are cloudy by everyone else's concept of what recoil is or isnt. If by the end of the 1st magazine you should decide its too much, then step down to one of the lesser rounds. If you decide it's fine- then welcome to the club. There's plenty of reasonably priced .45s out there, and the ammo isnt "more expensive" than any of the other crap.
If you do end up going with a girly gun round, just save yourself the money and stick with hardball- it doesnt over-penetrate like the interweb myths say, and your going to WANT the penetration vs. the shallow, ineffective surface scratches hollow-points weighing less than 230 grains result in.

j4l

You Guys got trolled!!!
Everybody Say Hi, and welcome to the new guy!!

He has been lurking for a month,, but doesnt even have enough sense to know there are about 20!
threads about "what kinds of gun should I to get".
He could have "Rick rolled" you guys.

How stupid is a thread of, "what kind of gun should I get?"

I have thought about a similar thread,,,

He has ONE post!! !!!! !!!!

I dont think he will be back!
He got 30 replies out of 1 stupid question,
So far he is ahead!

Who gives a rats' ass how many posts he/she whoever has? They asked a question- we answered it. Its a question that's going to come up often enough, so get over it. No one put a gun to yer head and made u read "another" thread.

Ma}{imus

If you do end up going with a girly gun round...

Haha...what did I say about hyperbole on the internet regarding this subject? This is enough to completely discredit the post.

Find what works best for you and avoid the various caliber fanboys (and girls but not so much) who think there is one round to rule them all.

HandyHamlet

There are plenty of these posts as well. Check around.

I'll save you some time.
If you are fat, have a beard, and wear a tee-shirt or wife beater you are not allowed to represent the OC community.

since9

Campaign Veteran
As a first time buyer you can't go wrong with a glock. Caveman simplicity. Load it, shoot it. That's it. No stoning or fitting parts, none of that. No addons needed, the glock comes out of the box perfect :)

You must work for Glock, but your description fits my firearm perfectly. Only mine isn't a Glock. It's a CZ, and its design predates the first Glock by a decade:

1936 - CZ Armory established. 1975 - CZ makes CZ 75, one of the most oft-copied pistol. 1982 - Glock is formed in response to a requirement put out by the Austrian military. My "CZ 85B is an up to date version with a firing pin block safety, squared off trigger guard, a ring hammer, and tri-dot sights. It is available in 9mm and .40 S&W calibers." Don't know when it came out. I just know CZs have a reputation for long-term reliability.

I've fired many revolvers and pistols, and my advice is for you to do the same before you buy. Find some gun buddies and head to the range. The more you try, the more you'll know about what you want to buy, and most importantly, why. When I was young and ignorant, I couldn't wait to buy a Browning Hi-Power. Someone had recommended it to me, and I'd read an article on it in the NRA magazine, so I was sold. Fortunately, when I found one for sale by its owner, I had enough presence of mind to test the size and comfort of its grip. In so doing, I discovered it was not for me. Just not a good fit.

No amount of listening to other people or reading magazine articles will replace that hands-on feedback. Like anything you spend more than $50 on, your primary carry weapon should fit like a glove.

Other considerations:

1. Are you comfortable settling for a revolver's 6-shot limitation? Or would you prefer 16 in the magazine and 1 in the pipe, with the ability to reload a second 16 in about one second? Your six-shooter will have to be reloaded four times in order for it to crank out 32 rounds, while my CZ can do it with just one reload. Something to consider. Even if the liklihood of needing more than two to three shots is slim, it's nice to have.

2. Since most encounters happen in close quarters, reliability is more important than accuracy or drop. I'd much rather own a reliable handgun with an average 5" miss radius at 50 yrds than one with a tight 2" radius but prone to misfeeds and jams.

3. Finally, fit and operation is a must. Whatever you choose, its operation must feel as natural as breathing. I've owned a .357 magnum and a .44 magnum, and while the .357 had a much shorter barrel, reloading it rapidly was problematic, while the .44 was a piece of cake. That and the fact that I was just as fast and accurate with the more powerful .44 in close quarters made it my weapon of choice.

Stay away from Keltec...

Keltec has a bad rap, but some folks here support them. The head gunsmith at the largest gun store in town has several of them and swears by them. He says they're one of the least likely firearms he'll see in his repair shop.

Anything with a manual/thumb safety will give you one more thing to worry about and forget to do when the pressure is on.

I agree that with modern firearms, it behooves you to pick one with a trigger interlock. This requires the trigger to be pulled to nearly the full extension before it will fire. Whether that's done via a firing pin lock or a hammer block matters little. What matters is that if you need to fire the weapon, it's as simply as squeezing the trigger, and if you're not trying to fire it, you can drop it all the way home and it'll never fire.

Go with a 9mm or 380 ACP. While people frequently suggest 40 S&W or 45 ACP for "stopping power", the 9 mm ammo is significantly less expensive, which will help you practice more. THEN you might consider something with a bigger bullet. I am comfortable carrying 9 or 380 because shot placement and proficiency trump a miss with a big bullet.

I agree. Many compact 9 mils can take the higher loads, but even with my full-size frame, I don't use them. It's more important to me to make my second and third rounds hit the same target as the first than to have the small advantage of increased firepower at the risk of missing the target, or worse, accidentally hitting an innocent bystander.

Since you'll need to conceal, consider a compact 9mm or a .380 ACP. Most importantly, find a model that fits you the best, one that operates most naturally for you.

j4l

Haha...what did I say about hyperbole on the internet regarding this subject? This is enough to completely discredit the post.

Find what works best for you and avoid the various caliber fanboys (and girls but not so much) who think there is one round to rule them all.

Actually, it doesnt discredit a damned thing. We're talking handguns, and ultimately one that he/she/ who ever may someday need to rly on in a defensive situation- not what color shoes "work for you".
It's a , potentially, life and death choice.It's not a fashion decision, or a fad or a trend.
That said, there's what's proven to work, and then there's everything else.

Yes, some of it might "work", but should we ,in good conscience, suggest this week's "trendy ammo flavor" or should we suggest that which has a strong history of sucess? A lot of the other choices may be well and good on a firing range, poking holes in sheets of paper. On the street though?...nnn no.