• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richmond bartender threatens anyone carrying in his place of employment.

curtiswr

http://www.nbc12.com/global/Story.asp?s=12807722

INTERVIEW: Point-counterpoint on guns in restaurants
By Ryan Nobles

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - It has now been just about two weeks since a new Virginia law went into effect allowing concealed weapons in bars and restaurants. Now, both sides of the issue are already weighing in on its impact.

Today we get the opinions of people directly connected to the new law. Phillip Van Cleave is the President of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, a group that fought to get the law passed.

Jack Lauterback is a local bartender and the author of the bar blog "Jack Goes Forth." He also contributes to Style Weekly.

Ryan: Jack, let's start with you. As a bartender, you feel this law makes you less safe. Why?

Jack: Well, this is going to come as a surprise to many of the viewing audience, but guns and alcohol do not mix. This is ground-breaking, no, but we simply feel that working in the restaurant industry and, you know, letting these people in with guns, even if they're not allowed to drink, is simply not a good idea. It's not going to result in any good thing and we're looking out for our customer' safety, my safety, my coworkers safety and I can't see why anyone would need a gun in a bar. My detractors will tell you they would like to take their guns to lunch at red lobster…

Ryan: And let's let the detractors weigh in it.

Ryan: Phillip, you disagree. As Jack mentioned, many people think mixing guns and bars is a bad idea. But you disagree. Why do you think that this is someone's constitutional right?

Phillip: Well, first of all, the law doesn't allow you to drink while you're carrying concealed, so if you call that mixing guns and alcohol, I'd love to hear the theory behind that. You can't drink. And it is indeed one of our rights to be able to protect yourself, and there are crimes that happen in and around restaurants and bars all the time. A personal should be allowed to protect themselves everywhere they go.

Ryan: So your feeling is it doesn't matter where you go, the second amendment protects your right to have a gun no matter where that maybe, even in a place where people could be intoxicated.

Phillip: Well, if one of those intoxicated people decides to start attacking somebody, I would like to be able to protect myself. I won't be drinking.

Ryan: Do you buy that, that someone who has a gun and isn't drinking is able to protect you.

Jack
: No, no. When I'm serving 100 people on a Friday night, how do I know who has a concealed weapon and isn't drinking? And don't tell me permit holders are angels because they simply are not. So a criminal comes in and pulls out a gun and Mr. Van Cleave is going to pull his, so now I have a Mexican standoff in front of 100 people. I'm sure they're the best marksman around but someone else is going to die and it could be an innocent person.

Ryan: How did you know that someone had a concealed weapon in your bar before?

Jack: I did not and this makes it much more difficult, but let's say I find out someone is carrying and they're carrying a Coca-Cola around the bar? You know, do I go up and ask them if there's rum in that coke? Do I confront them even though they have a weapon? You know, the only thing restaurants can really do right now is put a sign up that says no weapons allowed, but you shouldn't even have to put the sign up. We're endangering lives, customers' lives. People get drunk at bars, they make bad decisions and throwing a gun in the middle of it makes things that much worse.

Ryan: Phillip, respond to that point about enforcement. How do bar owners and police officers enforce it if they don't know someone is drinking.

Phillip
: Do they know who has car keys concealed who might get off and kill a family in a drunken accident? They're not required by the law to enforce the law. Only the police would. If there were an issue and the police came along and found out one chance in a zillion that a permit holder had done something, then he will be in violation of the law. This is not happening here. We used to be able to carry concealed in restaurants before '95, there was never an issue. This is much to-do about nothing, quite frankly.

Ryan: What about Jack's point that mixing one person who may not be a law-abiding citizens with one who may be and giving they will both guns doesn't make the situation better?

Phillip: So he wants the one person that could protect themselves to go ahead and be murdered by some crazy lunatic, I don't think so. You should be able to protect yourself. If he's not keeping track of who's drunk in his bar and continues to give them alcohol, that's more of a problem than someone carrying a gun.

Jack: Mr. Van Cleave, I understand you're probably quite a few years older than me and don't go to late night bars as much and why you want to carry guns during the day, but you're not the one serving 500 people on a Friday night. It's a very dangerous situation.

Philip: Then you should get a permit to carry.

Ryan
: We have to leave it there. Very good discussion by both of you.​

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
As usual and expected, Philip was professional and direct.

Jack was nervous although he waved at me:lol:

Philip took Dennis as his second and Jack had someone. Probably Style. Channel 12 seemed nervous that I was there.

Jack's second took a picture of me. I wonder if he's stalking me...

Anyway, Jack didn't foam at the mouth. He did look nervous and had nothing concrete to say. As another VCDL member said, "what did you expect"

Philip hit it on the head,,,"Much to do about nothing"

Last edited:

architect

Excellent job as usual

The poll appears to now be reflecting what we all know is the majority and sensible view.

I will make a bold prediction that Mr. Lauterback's beliefs will not be swayed by logic, and that he will proclaim that he wiped the floor with his worthy opponent (I'll also predict that he won't use the word "worthy").

Again, excellent job Mr. President!

TFred

Just getting to watch the video and noticed there is a poll on the page.

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/category.asp?C=128874&=#WNPoll97715

Currently we are losing that poll.
Should concealed weapons be allowed in bars and restaurants?

Thank you for participating in our poll. Here are the results so far:
Yes 28%No 72%
This was probably when there were only 25 votes. 7 and 18 yield those numbers. But easily overcome with the support of VCDL and OCDO.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Hey Philip...Hide your face
phil.jpg

Say Cheese

cheese.jpg

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

I got the wave on video. Nothing exciting about Philip or Jack. They walked up, went in, went out, said something to Dennis and left.

I got 202 stills and I don't know how much video. Some of the stills aren't very crisp. I committed the diabetics sin and didn't eat today. By the time I got home I was shaking like a leaf.

I'll do an OV story later tonight.

sidestreet

Agree with Curtis. Jack came off looking fairly nervous and uncomfortable (too much drugs and alcohol or not enough, I don't know which), while President Phil gave us just what was predicted (and expected) by peter nap and so many others, his usual logical, calm, unflappable, confident self. Bravo Mr. President!!! Encore!!! Encore!!!

Thought Mr. Nobles did a fair job of moderating, and I say "fair" as a complement. Thank you, Ryan, we don't get that too often, and definitely not often enough.

Jack might have sounded a little better if Channel 12 had added the old "canned" laugh track after his comments. Oh well, maybe Style Weekly can edit his column and add some (lol's) to help him out..., he definitely needs help, oh yes..., and no I'm not volunteering.

Voted in the poll, YES!!!

sidestreet

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

sidestreet

"Tell me, Phil, why do you think this is a constitutional right?"

Ryan Nobles at his reportalist best?

And Jack? Best I can tell you is he thinks it's scary and he doesn't like it.

Although Jack seems able to control his mouth, he just seems to feel that his side is right and everybody ought to be scared that the legally carrying patron is the one who is going to start something.

The greatest impression I took away from watching the segment was the same one that I had going in - that the places that Jack works at are most likely the places I would not go to. (Stay out of stupid places, stay away from stupid people, and don't do stupid things.)

stay safe.

Agree 100% Skid!!! Well said.

sidestreet

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.