• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richmond Public Library bans concealed weapons by state law?

streetdoc

On the opening page there is a pull-down menu under "About the Library" one of the options is "Policies and Procedures" in that list there was a "Conduct" option yesterday that is not there today. The no concealed firearms or weapons was there, looks like they have pulled it very quickly.

Repeater

On the opening page there is a pull-down menu under "About the Library" one of the options is "Policies and Procedures" in that list there was a "Conduct" option yesterday that is not there today. The no concealed firearms or weapons was there, looks like they have pulled it very quickly.

This is so funny. Go to the "Policies" page:

Policies and Procedures

Now, see the rather noticeable blank space, below "Renewal of Materials"? That's where it was. If you know how, look at the page source. Yeah, they took it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yep - I see a blank line/space in the alphabetical listing under Policies and Procedures, right where "rules" would fit in the list
icon14.png

http://www.richmondpubliclibrary.org/content.asp?contentID=46

Guess that means they won't claim the right to search my backpack either - I was going to bring my 4th Amend. rights with me too. :lol:

Sheriff

I talked to Ms. Tripplett (Sp?) and she said their policy wasn't actually what was on the web. A "bureaucratic snafu" (my words, not hers).

She may actually believe what she says. But I suspect it's just another city or county government thinking they fool the public into the type of behavior they want.

wylde007

Where does one find the "rules" on their site?
The only rules for a public library should be (in no particular order):

Get ta readin'.
If you can't read, get ta learnin'.
No stealin' books.
No monkey business (exception: monkeys)

Oh, and in this here 'lectronic age (what with the interwebz and all): no dolphin floggin'.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Soon, I want to take a shot (Pun Intended) at Richmond's loaded rifle or shotgun law.
I don't think they have the state authority.

TFred

here's the line in the new pdf:

• Carrying concealed weapons is prohibited, except as permitted by law.

That's not much better...
No, the plain and simple truth is that 15.2-915 specifically prohibits them from ANY regulation of ANY carry of ANY firearm, unless that regulation is SPECIFICALLY granted by state law.

There is no state law which allows libraries to regulate any carry of any firearm.

Any mention of the carry of any firearms in a library policy is illegal. It is just that plain and simple.

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
here's the line in the new pdf:

• Carrying concealed weapons is prohibited, except as permitted by law.

Deliberately misleading new verbiage.

Others may view it here:
http://www.richmondpubliclibrary.or... Regulations for Conduct in Library_R8-12.pdf

Still in violation of preemption as others have pointed out.

Have an itch to read some periodicals, guess I can put my 20+" book bag with my personal property and papers at my feet - it should be secure there right?

TFred

It really astounds me that these liberal types just can't seem to wrap their brain around the fact that they are prohibited from regulating the carry of firearms.

I really don't even understand why they think they should be ABLE to regulate firearms. No firearms policy short of a fully secured perimeter with full body and bag searches upon entry EVER accomplishes what the true goal of installing a firearms policy is trying to accomplish, namely, the prevention of a criminal from shooting the place up.

Library folks are supposed to be smart. Apparently not so much.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

davidmcbeth

Banned
Of course it's invalid!
The City of Richmond wrote it.

You remember our friends:uhoh:

cclaugh.jpg

Ahhhh! You should be banned for posting such a gross picture ... I'm flushing my eyes out now ....

Have they been in a horrible accident or something. Lordy lordy, they look like aliens from outer space.

Call NASA !

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Notice the "Hansel and Gretel" house on the desk top? Let that be your clue as to who controls the oven door boys and girls. Indeed that is a pretty Grimm image to contemplate. :uhoh:

Repeater

Deliberately misleading new verbiage.

Others may view it here:
http://www.richmondpubliclibrary.or... Regulations for Conduct in Library_R8-12.pdf

Still in violation of preemption as others have pointed out.

Have an itch to read some periodicals, guess I can put my 20+" book bag with my personal property and papers at my feet - it should be secure there right?

Reviewed by City Attorney – February 2012

Oh, then I guess that makes it okay. Well, Phil warned them not to put in ambiguous language.