• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richmond Public Library bans concealed weapons by state law?

Repeater

We'll see on Saturday I guess.

Oh, there's this policy:

Bringing animals into the Library other than assistance animals is prohibited.

attachment.php

[size=+2]Here is my Assistance Animal[/size]

john-galt

FYI, I think there is a proposed bill to allow localities to ban firearms in libraries. According to a document on vcdl.org here:

http://www.vcdl.org/pdf/VCDL_Gun_Bill_Analysis_2012.pdf

Page 7 mentions:

"HB 458, Delegate BaCote, allows localities to ban firearms and/or ammunition in libraries by ordinance.
This bill would destroy preemption and would create a web of complicated gun laws that would do
nothing to deter criminals, but would make it much harder for a law-abiding citizen to be able to carry a
handgun for self-defense. Crimes are committed in and around libraries and people need to be able to
protect themselves wherever they may be."

Not sure of the status. Hopefully it's gone down in flames or is on it's way.

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
FYI, I think there is a proposed bill to allow localities to ban firearms in libraries. According to a document on vcdl.org here:

Page 7 mentions:

"HB 458, Delegate BaCote, allows localities to ban firearms and/or ammunition in libraries by ordinance.
This bill would destroy preemption and would create a web of complicated gun laws that would do
nothing to deter criminals, but would make it much harder for a law-abiding citizen to be able to carry a
handgun for self-defense. Crimes are committed in and around libraries and people need to be able to

The legislature has been out of session since March. The bill was killed I believe. I know it didn't go anywhere anyway.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Page 7 mentions:

That bill is dead and buried.

Various municipalities have tried from time to time to ban guns in libraries to no avail.
Other times they have tried the tact of formulating rule that bans them "except as permitted by law." That does fly either - it violates the letter of preemption as well as the spirit and intent.

john-galt

that bill is dead and buried.

Various municipalities have tried from time to time to ban guns in libraries to no avail.
Other times they have tried the tact of formulating rule that bans them "except as permitted by law." that does fly either - it violates the letter of preemption as well as the spirit and intent.

Good, Rest In Peace!!

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Damn.....that's a mighty good idea VCDL came up with. Who'd have ever thought of a "Read in":lol:

Glad you all are on the cutting edge of things:uhoh:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I knew it was not your idea.. VCDL said WEDNESDAY.:lol:

Just to keep things straight - breakfast at River City Diner on Parham Saturday before the field trip, then snacks at 3rd street Diner from 3 - 5 PM on Wednesday before the field trip.

Permission slips from home are not needed for either outing.

Anybody showing up at either even wearing a sign, readable from at least 10 feet, saying anything to the effect of "I am carrying a concealed weapon as permitted by law" gets a (non-alcoholic) drink on me.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Just to keep things straight - breakfast at River City Diner on Parham Saturday before the field trip, then snacks at 3rd street Diner from 3 - 5 PM on Wednesday before the field trip.

Permission slips from home are not needed for either outing.

Anybody showing up at either even wearing a sign, readable from at least 10 feet, saying anything to the effect of "I am carrying a concealed weapon as permitted by law" gets a (non-alcoholic) drink on me.

stay safe.

Breakfast where?

Is still scheduled for "Pig n' Pay" is it not.

Golden Corral Buffet & Grill
11 SOUTH PROVIDENCE RD..........
» Map
RICHMOND, VA 23236
(804) 320-5078

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...reater-Richmond-OC-Breakfast-Sat-8-11-9-30-AM

riverrat10k

If y'all want my company for breakfast (and I can't imagine why you wouldn't :D), I will need a ride to and from. Car is going in the shop early Sat. a.m.

PM me tonight or in the morning.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
If y'all want my company for breakfast (and I can't imagine why you wouldn't :D), I will need a ride to and from. Car is going in the shop early Sat. a.m.

Not that I don't like your company RR, but I'm coming in from the otherside.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Heve Gimpmobile, will commute. PM sent.

stay safe.