• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

RIP Skidmark, Paul Henick

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I heard the comment (regarding all of the rain that we have had) that even mother nature was shedding her tears over the loss of our dear friends.

On Sat. June 4th, we shall undoubtedly see some more of the same, but that wouldn't suit these gentlemen well. Both would want a rousing send off replete with laughter and tales of their exploits and derring-do.

I believe that Paul used the term "Irish Wake" and that he shall have - at least as close as possible from Virginia red necks. :)

Last edited:

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
I heard the comment (regarding all of the rain that we have had) that even mother nature was shedding her tears over the loss of our dear friends.

On Sat. June 4th, we shall undoubtedly see some more of the same, but that wouldn't suit these gentlemen well. Both would want a rousing send off replete with laughter and tales of their exploits and derring-do.

I believe that Paul used the term "Irish Wake" and that he shall have - at least as close as possible from Virginia red necks. :)

Wish I could join you, alas we must be in southern Maryland for granddaughters graduation. Salute Paul for me!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The process is coming together - will have the address available soon - 11:00am, Sat, June 4[SUP]th[/SUP], Greater Richmond area.
Will post a separate thread and link it on this one with directions etc.

This Irish wake will have no alcohol, we will be high enough on the memories w/o artificial additives.

No long guns, please. OC, CC or noC.

Family friendly environment, children welcomed.

Food will be available immediately following at the same location.

Last edited:

scouser

Would someone post a picture of the beloved gentleman?

IMG_0008 copy.jpg

He's on the left, I'll let the person on the right identify himself when he sees it if he wishes to be. Tomorrow will in fact be 2 years since the photo was taken by myself during a trip to the Virginia State Capitol. I have other photos of Paul, but the ones I've found he's always in the background with half of his face missing, from trips to the Tomato Festival or when we went to see the WW2 airplanes last year. I know it's him but anyone who didn't know him would not.

The Donkey

PSH and an apology for having a life

There was a thread http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...14#post2059814 where I used the acronym PSH.

Folks from all corners of OCDO wondered what it stands for. I was off doing other things while that thread ran inself into the ground and got locked down. Thus, I missed the requests for enlightenment about PSH.

I am rather taken aback that folks at OCDO did not immediately recognize PSH. Apparently my age (pre-Mezozoic) was showing, for it used to be thrown about by essayists (those folks who wrote about stuff before Algore invented the internet so anybody could blog) who commented about the reaction of folks who reacted to the thought of - let alone the actual sight of - firearms.

PSH. Pants Sh!tting Hysteria.

Really? Nobody recognized it?

Apparently I am living that amorphism - Those who remember history are doomed to sit helplessly while those that do not remember history are doomed to repeat it. :banghead:

stay safe.

Skidmark, 5-12-14

Safe now. :(

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Celebrating Paul Henick

Planning for this "Celebrating Paul Henick" event has been finalized, save a few details.

When: Saturday, June 4th beginning at 11:00am

Where: Deep Run Baptist Church, 10907 Three Chopt Road, Henrico, Virginia 23233 - in the Fellowship Hall, directly behind the church.

There is both excellent parking and a playground for kids - same location where we fixed the Brunswick stew.

It would be nice if a number of people would be prepared to take the podium and share one or two stories about Paul with us.

This gathering of his friends will have food & beverages provided (no alcohol) at the same location.

Yes, you may OC, CC, or noC, but please no long guns.

Please send an email to dale@opencarry.org with the subject line being "Henick event - #__ attending.
If you don't get the email sent, come on anyway - just trying to get a rough count

Last edited:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I just logged into OCDO today and saw this. What a loss. Losing Don wasn't enough, and now this. Very sad, indeed. Skid was a curmudgeon's curmudgeon and an absolute pain in the ass....and I don't think he'd want it any other way.

I too am in possession of a can of dehydrated water that Paul left with one of my staff members for me after a gun show. I'll fondly keep that can forever.

HeroHog

Man this depresses me. I wondered where Paul went. As I type my eyes are filled with tears... I don't know how I missed his passing for so long. :( We traded jokes and barbs on the "Armed Polite Society" and via email after we left VA and the VCDL to head back home to Louisiana a while back. He was a good man and a good friend even though we were more "loose" friends than what most would consider "close." Even so, Paul was kind and generous to his friends and could irritate the devil out of the rest but that's what we liked about him.

Rest in peace Paul, we are better for having known you!

sraacke

I just found out about his passing. I never met him in person but enjoyed reading his posts and posting to him here on OCDO. He was a great guy and he will be missed.
RIP, Skidmark.

HeroHog

I can't make the memorial as it's quite the drive from Louisiana but I will be there in spirit. Someone lift a glass of Diet Dr Pepper for me and say something inappropriate please.

Stay Safe...