• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Roanoke City Circuit Court extralegal demands for CHP

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Where has it been all this time in between? I really have very little understanding of this process.

TFred

It's a complicated document TFred. The legaleez and format AKA boilerplate..has to be right or it gets kicked on technical issues.

Roanoke is a long way for someone that works every day and the court isn't open on weekends. He had to prepare and proof 11 copies, and mail them to me for filing.

It takes a little time.

TFred

It's a complicated document TFred. The legaleez and format AKA boilerplate..has to be right or it gets kicked on technical issues.

Roanoke is a long way for someone that works every day and the court isn't open on weekends. He had to prepare and proof 11 copies, and mail them to me for filing.

It takes a little time.
Oh... (I wasn't complaining or anything.) I thought (assumed, even) that it had been "filed" in whatever process that was required at the time it was posted here.

TFred

TFred

TFred -

I bet you also hate waiting in line to get your Carl's*.:uhoh: :p

stay safe.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl's_Ice_Cream
If the court system moved 1/100th as fast as the line at Carl's moves... we'd have the fastest justice in the world!

Those folks have honed the process of taking your money in exchange for ice cream to a science!

TFred

Tosta Dojen

Most every court proceeding is started by filing the initial pleading with the court, then having it served upon the opposing party.

Mandamus is different -- Virginia Code §8.01-644 requires that it be served "a reasonable time" before it's actually filed. I haven't found anything that spells out what period of time is reasonable, but they ended up getting a few weeks, and I'm pretty sure that's fine.

That's strictly for the benefit of government officials. It gives them an opportunity to remedy the problem that warrants a mandamus petition before they're actually dragged into court. The petitioner, on the other hand, still has to draft a petition that will carry the day, because he doesn't know in advance whether the respondents will repent or hold their ground. I can tell you from personal experience that composing a mandamus petition is a non-trivial exercise, and for something that might never actually sit on a judge's desk. It's just another example of the double-standard that applies when it comes to holding government officials accountable.

In addition to the mandated "reasonable" period, I encountered a delay when I found a technical problem with the service performed on Clerk Hamilton, and had to get process served again. I also experienced delays in getting the petition notarized (thanks for nothing, Bank of America!) and having ten copies printed and bound (your binding machine is broken, OfficeMax?) which weren't particularly easy to work around given my personal and work schedules.

I'll note that in this case, it looks like the Respondents have elected to fight the petition. I figure that if they were going to remedy the situation, they'd have done so by now, and they haven't. I also happened to notice that Clerk Hamilton's website has been updated with a correct fee, but the requirement to obtain a payment receipt and submit that and other documents to the Police Academy has not been corrected. Compare with Exhibit C from the Petition.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Still wondering.... what does any of this have to do with OPEN CARRY?

Exceptions may be made on state sub-forums at the discretion of the administration when a particular gun law or incident is specific and limited to that state, even though such may not be notably about open carry.

That said a CHP does offer additional benefits to an OCer (i.e. GRSZ) so the dots are connected.

TFred

I think we need to add a new rule to the forum, that ONLY MODERATORS or OWNERS are allowed to question whether or not posts fall within the theme of the forum.

ANY POSTS that publicly question the appropriateness of a thread or post should be summarily deleted, without comment or question. Any questions or discussions about such posts should be raised with the moderators and owners PRIVATELY and then handled OFF LINE.

Frankly, I'm well beyond tired of reading these silly one-liners that simply do not contribute to the value of this forum. If you have a problem with a post, then click on the little triangle and report it. I don't care to read your opinion, often not so subtly phrased as a question, that the post is not appropriate.

And that is my NOT so humble (OR subtle) opinion.

TFred

PS: This is not meant to be directed solely at Sheriff... many do it, just happened to see this one when my back broke.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I think we need to add a new rule to the forum, that ONLY MODERATORS or OWNERS are allowed to question whether or not posts fall within the theme of the forum.

You folks do know about that little triangle with an exclamation point inside it, down there at the bottom left of each post? The one that says "Report this post".

If you want a ruling on whether or not the post breaks a rule you can ask John to review it. He may pass it on to a moderator for either guidance or handling, but it does get looked at.

As for anybody asking for ANOTHER RULE to help control behavior - ::facepalm:: Not that we are all raving anarchistic libertarians, but really!

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

It's been explained Sheriff and granted it's a little deep for a man who got booted from law enforcement a decade ago but still uses the title....but it has been explained!

Back in the country we have a saying:

"I don't chew my backey but once".

You can ponder on that while you're trying to figure out why an important corrective measure is important to ALL gun owners.
What the OP is doing is setting the clerk straight...as opposed to whining about it!

Sheriff

It's been explained Sheriff and granted it's a little deep for a man who got booted from law enforcement a decade ago but still uses the title....but it has been explained!

For the record, fired at a sheriff's office 15 years ago. This is not unusual, sheriffs hire and fire at will, with or without cause. It's highly unusual when a new incoming sheriff doesn't fire a few employees. After having worked for 5 or 6 sheriffs for decades with an increase in my performance evaluation each and every year, the 7th incoming sheriff and I just didn't get along well together. I then went to work at another sheriff's office.

I guess this is one of the problems in the Culpeper murder case discussion here, we just don't know how accurate a statement of alleged fact is when people make them in these forums, do we?

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
CHP does offer additional benefits to an OCer (i.e. GRSZ) so the dots are connected.

A lot of OC'ers have CHP's and there's nothing wrong with that as long as they don't expect perks. You've never heard me say anything else.

Now as to why this is important, because he is correcting an illegal act against gun owners. When was the last time you did that?

When you started crying about the date on your CHP and just why do you need a CHP if you were hired by another Department????????

I then went to work at another sheriff's office.

Don't bother answering, I don't give a S%^&.

Anyway...the OP is spending his time, his money and taking it to the Supreme Court to because of a hole in the existing statute.

Back to your post about your CHP, did you contact the Supreme Court...No! I did and I don't have a CHP.

Did you do anything to clear up the issue with your friend the Clerk? No, you just posted over and over about how it couldn't be changed.

So to answer your question and smart ass remark one more time...He's doing something that benefits gun owners. He's putting local government on notice that they can't do what they please anymore.

riverrat10k

I'm willing to keep this thread due to the fact that TD has been fighting with Roanoke area law enforcement over rights violations for years now.

I love the writ. I have saved a copy for future use if needed. It is a powerful tool, but as TD noted, a pain in the ass to produce.

Liberty!

Last edited:

Tosta Dojen

The Clerk, by counsel, has submitted a Demurrer and Motion to Dismiss, with a Memorandum in Support of same.

In response, I have filed a Memorandum in Opposition.

The Court itself has not yet filed a response to my petition. The Assistant Attorney General representing the judges claims that service was improper because it was delivered to the judges, rather than the Court. Also there's a claim that a mandamus petition must be filed against an individual, rather than an entity. That's bothersome, but I'm working on a couple of angles to try cutting past the procedural quagmire there.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The Clerk, by counsel, has submitted a Demurrer and Motion to Dismiss, with a Memorandum in Support of same.

In response, I have filed a Memorandum in Opposition.

The Court itself has not yet filed a response to my petition. The Assistant Attorney General representing the judges claims that service was improper because it was delivered to the judges, rather than the Court. Also there's a claim that a mandamus petition must be filed against an individual, rather than an entity. That's bothersome, but I'm working on a couple of angles to try cutting past the procedural quagmire there.

As always, let me know if I can help!