• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rochester Hills/Auburn Hills Gathering

DanM

imported post

peanutpublications wrote:
Ok, so how about we axe the fundraiser idea for now, and just worry about the gathering? :p

No, I say any opportunity to fundraise for MOC or another gun-rights organization is something to be considered.

If a lot of people in our group would like to gather at a fine place to eat, and that fine place to eat would like to kick back 15%, in the direction of our choice,of what anyone spendswho walks in during the time we are there, then that place should get priority over any other fine place to eat which doesn't have such a deal.

We have get-togethers frequentlyat restaurants. Why not at the restaurant you suggest, if they're going to throw money back at us?

Michigander

imported post

I can possibly make a Thursday event, but will not be able to make a Wednesday event. Plus, Boston Market chicken has given me massive penicillin allergy reactions, so if I do go, I can't eat much. So count me as unlikely, and certainly not worth considering in scheduling the event, but I will try to make it if I can.

Whether I make it or not, I greatly enjoy the idea of multiple meetings in Auburn Hills in less than a month. :celebrate

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Here ismore information for the "Fundraising Night"at Boston Market on Walton Blvd.

Map: MAP

http://www.bostonmarket.com/fundraisers?page=inStore

Your organization will:

• Fill out our Fundraising Form.
  • Head to your nearest Boston Market to turn in your Fundraising Form and finalize the date.
  • Publicize your event with members of your organization.
  • Provide reminders and the Event Tickets to the organization.
  • Remind members to visit the designated Boston Market on the agreed upon date between 4p.m. and 10p.m., and hand the cashier the Event Ticket when ordering.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

DanM wrote:
Taurus850CIA wrote:
Biker's rights groups do things all the time for "the children" in order to get some good publicity, to try to show the general public that they are not all the rough and tumble crowd that hollywood makes them out to be. I don't think that having a dinner at Boston Market, and Boston Market donating a percentage of sales to "the children" is really out of line. What are you getting out of it? Positive publicity.
Your point of view is predicated on the premise that this is some highly publicized deal.
No, it's not. I understand perfectly that MOC would be responsible for spreading the word and publicizing the "event". It would be word of mouth, posters tacked up on cork boards, cross posting on other forums, emails, etc.

For now, MOC is not a government recognized entity, and can't take monetary donations in the traditional sense, therefore your wish for the donation to this site can't be recognized (I understand also that another group could take the donation). When peanut proposed the idea, I saw it as an opportunity for the group to go out and do something good for another cause in the public eye, akin to trash and graffitti cleanups, something that will show others that we ARE, in fact, decent people, with concerns other than holding tightly to our guns. I understand your point, DanM, and this is just my opinion, however outside the box it may be.

DanM

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
DanM wrote:
Your point of view is predicated on the premise that this is some highly publicized deal.
No, it's not. I understand perfectly that MOC would be responsible for spreading the word and publicizing the "event". It would be word of mouth, posters tacked up on cork boards, cross posting on other forums, emails, etc.
Ok, I understand what you're saying there, and if you had said that, my response wouldprobably not haveinvolved examination ofthat statement's premise.My response about your premise applies not to what you describe above with respect to our get-togethers, but to what you described before which is significantly different than what you describe above. What you described before with respect to our get-togethers impliedsome kind ofequivalence to bikers joining in on causes for "the children", the ones of which I knowof are very highly publicized national or state-widecampaigns. What you describe above is "word of mouth, posters tacked up on cork boards, postings on other forums, emails, etc." The two are WIDELYdifferent on the publicity scale. You changed your premise on the scale of publicity down to a MUCH lower level, therefore my criticism of your former premise does not apply.

For now, MOC is not a government recognized entity, and can't take monetary donations in the traditional sense, therefore your wish for the donation to this site can't be recognized (I understand also that another group could take the donation).

I know that. I didn't say donations to MOC can be done now. This potential fundraisermayoccur some time in the future. MOC's legitimate ability to accept donations will occur some time in the future. My original suggestion, in fact, covers this. Maybe you missed it, so let me quote myself for you: "I don't know at what stage of development it[the MOC non-profit]will be at, at the time of the proposed fundraiser, and if it could accept donations, but check with Venator."
When peanut proposed the idea, I saw it as an opportunity for the group to go out and do something good for another cause in the public eye, akin to trash and graffitti cleanups, something that will show others that we ARE, in fact, decent people, with concerns other than holding tightly to our guns. I understand your point, DanM, and this is just my opinion, however outside the box it may be.
I agree with your ideas about some possible activities we could get into, and I think they're really good ideas too, but here again I have a strongdisagreement with another of yourpremises:thatthere is a priority to"show others that we ARE, in fact, decent people, with concerns other than holding tightly to our guns." I have no evidence that indicates to me that any significant portion of our society, other thanpeople who are gun-hatersand gun-banners already and will never be convinced of anything else otherwise, do NOT currently view gun owners and their organizations as a decent part of our society and concerned and involvedrightly in their specific area of interest.

tygereye

imported post

Peanut, you can count me in also, no matter what you choose. I think you should just decide, and announce it. Those that support the decision to donate to a cause, in the name of MOC, reguardless of the chosencharity, will show, and those that don't, won't... ;)

peanutpublications

imported post

I would really like to make a donation to some sort of organization, but debating whether it's right or wrong to donate to our own organization (which we don't even know if it will be set up on time or not) is totally counter productive... :banghead:

Here's what I would like to do...there's a center down in Pontiac called the Grace Centers of Hope. See website here: http://www.gracecentersofhope.org/index.html. The company that I work for makes many donations to this company (mostly clothing, toiletries, etc.). A little excerpt:
[align=left]Welcome to Grace Centers of Hope!
Grace Centers of Hope is Oakland County’s oldest and largest homeless shelter providing hope and help since 1942. Today, Grace Centers of Hope is considered one of the leading faith-based organizations in Southeastern Michigan daily confronting issues of homelessness, addiction, poverty and spiritual emptiness. On any given night, Grace Centers of Hope will accommodate between 150-200 men, women and children. Each year we serve over 127,000 meals and provide over 55,000 nights of stay. [/align] [align=left]
Our $3 million dollar budget is supported exclusively through private support; we receive no government dollars.
[/align]
If you're not comfortable with that, why don't we go with the 2nd Amendment March. I don't think debating is going to get us anywhere...especially since the dates I posted are only a couple weeks away...

...awaiting responses...

DanM

imported post

I would really like to make a donation to some sort of organization, but debating whether it's right or wrong to donate to our own organization (which we don't even know if it will be set up on time or not) is totally counter productive...

Here's what I would like to do...there's a center down in Pontiac called the Grace Centers of Hope....[or we can donate to] the 2nd Amendment March.

I think the discussion we are having is not counter-productive. I think it's absolutely relevantfor us to talk about what organizations other than MOC we might support, with this event which involves BM sending a check some where. When it comes to my real dollars and my real time, I--as a potential donor--have a definiteinterest in discussing such things.

I've set forth the concept of exchange of consideration. I've also set forth the concept that many donors expect theirdonations of money and timeto be used in furtherance of an organizaton's mission. I think your suggestion ofthe 2nd Amendment March or, as others have mentioned, GOA are far superior to Grace, so my vote is for either of the first two, or any other suitable gun-rights organization.

Please let us know what organization is ultimatelyselected, whenBoston Market's form is filled out. Thank you for your time on this event.

peanutpublications

imported post

The counter-productiveness I was referring to was the "would it be right to donate to our own organization" argument. Not whether or not to make a donation to an organization. I think it's a great idea...hence the reason I suggested it to begin with. We all have every right to know where the money will be going.

How about this. We'll make the donation to the 2nd Amendment March. That way, maybe some other groups will turn out, and we'll get an even better response. :)

Now, for the date...April 8 (wed), 9 (thur), 15 (wed), or 16 (thur)?

~P

DanM

imported post

The counter-productiveness I was referring to was the "would it be right to donate to our own organization" argument....
I see what you're saying. Yeah, I really wasn't understanding the logic of theargument "it will be perceived as 'selfish' or 'clinging to your guns' to fundraise for MOCat MOC'sfundraising gathering." NOT fundraising for MOCat MOC's gathering, especially in light of the fact that MOCgets funds from hardly anywhere else, seems CLEARLY counter-productive.

I can't do the 9th, but any other date is fine with me and I can show up.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

The more time we have to spread the word, the better turnout we'll have. The 16th is a little less than a month. Anyone who shows up with an event ticket between the times of 4pm and 10 pm on (date) will be contributing, so even if you can't make the group dinner, you can still be a part of the donation.

Michigander

imported post

How about this. We'll make the donation to the 2nd Amendment March. That way, maybe some other groups will turn out, and we'll get an even better response. :)

~P
Networking! Outstanding idea! That's what it's all about! The more organizations we can get involved with, the more attention we get, and the more people we get OCing.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Michigander wrote:

~P
Networking! Outstanding idea! That's what it's all about! The more organizations we can get involved with, the more attention we get, and the more people we get OCing.
My thoughts exactly. I've e-mailed Skip asking for the necessary info, and I will be cross posting this on three other forums. I will also be sending out e-mails, and putting up some flyers on some corkboards around the area.

tygereye

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
Michigander wrote:

~P
My thoughts exactly. I've e-mailed Skip asking for the necessary info, and I will be cross posting this on three other forums. I will also be sending out e-mails, and putting up some flyers on some corkboards around the area.
Taurus...

Email me your poster... I will post them up at the college, and other various areas here...

Taurus850CIA

imported post

tygereye wrote:
Taurus850CIA wrote:
Michigander wrote:

~P
Taurus...

Email me your poster... I will post them up at the college, and other various areas here...
Your wish is my command :lol: