• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Safety ON or OFF??

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

MetalChris wrote:
I assume you have the hammer forward on your Beretta?

The 92D he mentioned is double action only. (That's what the D means). Thus it can only fire in double action and the hammer cannot be left in the cocked position.

A regular 92F or 92G however could be left in the cocked position (The 92G is decocker only, and the F has a safety/decocker.) It cannot be carried cocked and locked though because the safety also decocks it.

tattedupboy

imported post

Whether a gun has a safety device or not, all responsible gun carriers must carry with a safety device; typically that device is inside their skulls; it is a gray, wrinkly thing I like to refer to as my brain. As long as this device is always on, the carrier will always keep himself safe, regardless of whether the gun's safety device is engaged.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

When I first started carrying, it was full mag, empty chamber and safety off. I was naturally nervous but that soon wore off. Knowledge conquers fear. I started carrying one in the chamber and safety off while holstered, first round DA and that's the way she sits right now too.

The only time the safety goes on is before I unholster for cleaning. The best safety is between your ears. Don't leave home without it!

Boomer654

imported post

Safety? What is this Safety you speak of? I carry a SIG 220 DA/SAand it has a decocker. no safety. I carry in the double action mode with one in the chamber.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Does any modern firearm really not have a safety of some type, be it passive or manual (excepting possibly some revolvers)?

The Glocks have safeties built into the trigger and a striker block.

The XD's have the same trigger and striker block and add a backstrap safety.

The Sig DA/SA pistols have a decocker and a firing pin block released by the trigger.

Don't most if not all revolvers have a bar preventing the hammer from dropping onto the primer?

I guess it's a question maybe of perspective. As far as I am concerned, my Sig and XDs have safeties that are always engaged until my hand is in shooting position and I begin to depress the trigger. Maybe that is a little afield of the OP.

David.Car

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Does any modern firearm really not have a safety of some type, be it passive or manual (excepting possibly some revolvers)?

The Glocks have safeties built into the trigger and a striker block.

The XD's have the same trigger and striker block and add a backstrap safety.

The Sig DA/SA pistols have a decocker and a firing pin block released by the trigger.

Don't most if not all revolvers have a bar preventing the hammer from dropping onto the primer?

I guess it's a question maybe of perspective. As far as I am concerned, my Sig and XDs have safeties that are always engaged until my hand is in shooting position and I begin to depress the trigger. Maybe that is a little afield of the OP.
I think the intended question of the OP was regarding amanual safety.

yeahYeah

imported post

My Springfield XD has 2 safety's - trigger and grip so they are on all the time and i carry with one in the chamber.

jamesb3002

imported post

I carry a glock.

There are no external safeties.

You are the safety, don't put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

I prefer a handgun with no external safeties, less controls to manipulate when you need it in that emergency situation.

cwolfs69

imported post

:what: let me get this straight. you carry a 1911 without a round in the chamber. that,s almost sacreligous . would have been cheaper to buy a rock to throw and wouldnt take as long to get ready to use.