• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Safety ON or OFF??

N00blet45

imported post

I carry my USP in SA mode with the safety on. I think I'm going to practice drawing without the safety. Then once I'm more comfortable I'll carry with the safety off.

Erus

imported post

Cocked & Locked

One in the pipe

Safety on

Safety comes off as I draw

Booger hook stays OFF the bang switch till I am ready to fire.

XD40coyote

imported post

XD's have internal safeties and a trigger and grip safety. Holstered, the safeties are always "on". They only disengage when one properly grips the gun in the hand and then squeezes the trigger. I have tested them with dry fire and they work. I haven't dropped or knocked around the guns or anything though to see if they "decock" the striker, my babies are too precious for that LOL.

So as others have already said, the best safety is your brain.

MetalChris

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
MetalChris wrote:
I assume you have the hammer forward on your Beretta?

The 92D he mentioned is double action only. (That's what the D means). Thus it can only fire in double action and the hammer cannot be left in the cocked position.

A regular 92F or 92G however could be left in the cocked position (The 92G is decocker only, and the F has a safety/decocker. ) It cannot be carried cocked and locked though because the safety also decocks it.
Ah. Thanks for the clarification.

AbNo

imported post

Aegis wrote:
My XD .40 only has a trigger safety....and I like it just that way.

Really? You should send it back, mine has a trigger safety AND a grip safety. ;)

But yeah, no manual safeties on the XD and Con 1 + Safety when carrying the 1911.

Dom

imported post

I carry a 92FS
Decocker/safety OFF
Hammer forward
One in the pipe

Fortunately my Galco holster won't let me carry with the safety on; it will turn the safety off when holstering... a nice feature in case I forget. The thumb break won't allow me to holster it with the hammer back either. I do like having the safety available for administrative handling.

Bullbuster

imported post

This is great. Allot of different views on this. While I try to be as up to speed on the latest and greatest guns to hit the market. I see I need more study time as I had no clue what some of ya'll was talking about till I looked it up. I tell ya what guns are like cell phones these days they have all sorts of different features.

shamalama

imported post

Taurus PT1911.

Cocked & Locked - Condition One.

Live round in the chamber, magazine filled to capacity.

Thumb safety on while in holster, thumb safety off during draw.

I'm right-handed, so my trigger finger sits on the end of the post of the slide stop until required for actual firing.

Morbid

imported post

I carry a XD45 trigger safety and handgrip safety, but as a soldier, my one and true
safety is my finger, but it never hurts to have a good brain to back it up, i say if you

have a gun that has a safety it should be on, if it wasn't designed to have one then well there is no need.... but my trained habits kick in and im always checking and

rechecking if it's loaded before i do anything with it, better to look then assume.

lock and clear always. Because friendly fire is not so friendly.

Orygunner

imported post

Taurus PT 111 Millennium PRO SS (Stainless) 9mm in a high-ride OWB belt holster. 11+1 in the chamber, Manual Safety on, safety comes off as part of my draw.

I picked this over the Glock just because of the manual safety (and price). Not sure why, it just feels... safer.

...Safer is as safer does...
...Orygunner...

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

1911 - safety ON for Condition 1 carry, safety OFF for Condition 3 or 4 (condition 4 is required in CA).

The safety on a 1911 makes for good tactile verification of a loaded round. Since I never leave the hammer cocked on an empty chamber, safety on = loaded gun.,

Bundabar

imported post

I carry a Glock G22 .40 so the only safety I have is between my finger and forehead. I guess it would be safe to say that I carry with my safety on then!

G

Gentleman Ranker

imported post

Glock, may be transitioning to SIG, so no manual safety.

Many years ago, my initial familiarization with auto pistols was with a Walther P38, which has basically the same type of "hammer-drop" safety that the Beretta 92F/M9 series has.

In those days it never occurred to me to carry, either concealed or openly, so my habit was to engage the safety anytime I was not pointing the Walther downrange at a target.

Years later I had a Beretta 92F. I used it once to shoot in a local IPSC match, just for the experience of doing it, and my old habit got the better of me. One of the barricade stages required IIRC a draw, fire two, reholster, move, draw, fire two more. Well, when I holstered after firing the first time, I automatically set the manual safety, which on the 92F also disengaged the trigger.

I went to the next stage, drew, aimed, pulled the trigger, and ... swick, swick, swick. Nothing. In the relatively mild stress of the match, I had neglected to swipe the safety back to "off" or simply use it as a hammer drop in the first place and go DA on the first shot.

Once I decided to carry for self-defense purposes, I decided that I wanted a handgun where that could not happen. I also got a lot more serious about working safety fundamentals, especially indexing my trigger finger. A negligent discharge is Very Bad, but attempting to fire in a self-defense situation where one has left the safety on is probably Not So Good either.

Proper safety procedures are equally important with all firearms, all the time. Misteaks, however, do happen. To me, the misteke I made at that match made me rethink the way I applied those procedures, but did not tempt me to violate them.

The above are just my own views, YMMV. Stay safe.

regards,

GR