• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Santorum Gnawing On His Foot?

georg jetson

No, but the only person who's rights pre-empt those fledging rights of a fetus is the mother and her right to self-ownership.

Nature has made it impractical to separate out such things. If procreation is consensual, then what is inside the woman is as much the man's as the woman's. To outright deny valid "input" from the male would be a rights violation.

But, this is where we disagree, because your opposition to abortion bans stems from your conception of children as the absolute chattel of their parents.

I take your use of the word "chattel" as an attempt to liken my position to that of slavery. However, there is another word that is more appropriate... "Child"

As nature would have it and we have no say in the matter... A child is completely dependent on their parents. Thus, nature has already determined what children are... no matter how we my argue. They BELONG to the PARENTS.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Nature has made it impractical to separate out such things. If procreation is consensual, then what is inside the woman is as much the man's as the woman's. To outright deny valid "input" from the male would be a rights violation.

I have not accepted the parents' proprietary claim to anything except their own selves.

I take your use of the word "chattel" as an attempt to liken my position to that of slavery. However, there is another word that is more appropriate... "Child"

The word "chattel" refers to possessions other than real property. It is a term of convenience.

As nature would have it and we have no say in the matter... A child is completely dependent on their parents. Thus, nature has already determined what children are... no matter how we my argue. They BELONG to the PARENTS.

So, if I save a guy who's drowning in a river, does that mean I get to own him, too? Or do I only own him during the time during which he is dependent upon me? At least I can whip the **** out of him while I drag him to shore.

What if I steal someone's kid, and he becomes dependent upon me? Do I have a claim to ownership?

Last edited:

georg jetson

I have not accepted the parents' proprietary claim to anything except their own selves.

That's fine. The unborn baby has a claim to itself then as well. How can you put the woman's claim ahead of the baby's, especially when it is typically the woman's decision to get pregnant?

The word "chattel" refers to possessions other than real property. It is a term of convenience.

I understand what the word means and it implies commerce. That's not what I'm arguing.

So, if I save a guy who's drowning in a river, does that mean I get to own him, too? Or do I only own him during the time during which he is dependent upon me? At least I can whip the **** out of him while I drag him to shore.

What if I steal someone's kid, and he becomes dependent upon me? Do I have a claim to ownership?

This is completely different and for obvious reasons that aren't worth addressing. The bottom line is that the child has no life except that it was given to them by their parent's.

On the contrary... are you saying parents don't own their children? That if the child desires to go elsewhere then that is up to the child? How about a 2yr old that wants to plat in the street. It has right to do this?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
That's fine. The unborn baby has a claim to itself then as well. How can you put the woman's claim ahead of the baby's, especially when it is typically the woman's decision to get pregnant?

It has a claim to itself as soon as this claim is not dependent upon its mother's pre-existing right to self-ownership. Rights cannot overlap. The fetus's rights cannot begin until the mother's (pre-existing) rights end. I would argue that this occurs not at conception but at the moment when the mother's exercise of her own right does not necessarily lead to the fetus's death. I would further argue that a woman retains this right during the entire pregnancy, but that it may not result in the death of the fetus beyond such a time when the fetus may survive outside her body.

It may be my decision to give $5 to a homeless man, but that doesn't mean he has a continuing right to such care.

Remember, rights are a negative thing. The fetus has no right to receive the care upon which it is dependent, in the same way that I have no right to anything of yours. It simply has a right not to be murdered or otherwise aggressed against.

Incidentally, the difference is one of ends, although only the means are truly of concern. While the fetus will necessarily die without its mothers's body before a certain point, it may be that there are people or organizations willing to provide for a baby who survives past this point. To actively kill is to eliminate such a possibility.

This is completely different and for obvious reasons that aren't worth addressing. The bottom line is that the child has no life except that it was given to them by their parent's.

Given, as in, no longer possessed by the parents.

On the contrary... are you saying parents don't own their children? That if the child desires to go elsewhere then that is up to the child? How about a 2yr old that wants to plat in the street. It has right to do this?

Yes, it has such a right. It is, however, more than likely dependent upon its parents and, lacking a right to the care they might provide, must accept the parents' rules upon which such care is conditional.

You'll find that the ramifications of my position are similar to your own in many respects except perhaps the most fundamental. The sole difference is I see no reason for a person's rights to be held by their parents until an arbitrary age of majority (decided by whom? Society, which has no business interfering in family business? The parents, who may decide to never rescind their proprietary claim at any age?). I believe it is the right of every individual to decide when he is no longer dependent, and to take aggressors to court.

My preference is not for a state of affairs in which the government seizes children, but for one in which young individuals may decide to declare independence from those upon whom they are dependent, and, having declared such independence, be free to make claims of civil and criminally liability against any who should harm them.

And, preference aside, any parent who would rape their children (which does happen) or beat them to the point of permanent physical damage ought to be prevented from such aggression. How best to achieve that within a framework of right is indeed a difficult question. Not impossible, I would say though. Perhaps the best state of affairs might be to have charity organizations willing to care for children whose dependency would be otherwise contingent upon such treatment.

Frankly, though, I tire of this discussion. Nobody ever convinces anybody of anything when it comes to abortion and the rights of a fetus.

Last edited:

.40S&W

The terms pro life and pro choice are retarded, and only exist to push political agendas. You can't put every person into a nice neatly wrapped little box. People are complex.

georg jetson

It has a claim to itself as soon as this claim is not dependent upon its mother's pre-existing right to self-ownership. Rights cannot overlap. The fetus's rights cannot begin until the mother's (pre-existing) rights end. I would argue that this occurs not at conception but at the moment when the mother's exercise of her own right does not necessarily lead to the fetus's death. I would further argue that a woman retains this right during the entire pregnancy, but that it may not result in the death of the fetus beyond such a time when the fetus may survive outside her body.

It may be my decision to give $5 to a homeless man, but that doesn't mean he has a continuing right to such care.

Remember, rights are a negative thing. The fetus has no right to receive the care upon which it is dependent, in the same way that I have no right to anything of yours. It simply has a right not to be murdered or otherwise aggressed against.

Incidentally, the difference is one of ends, although only the means are truly of concern. While the fetus will necessarily die without its mothers's body before a certain point, it may be that there are people or organizations willing to provide for a baby who survives past this point. To actively kill is to eliminate such a possibility.

Yes, it has such a right. It is, however, more than likely dependent upon its parents and, lacking a right to the care they might provide, must accept the parents' rules upon which such care is conditional.

You'll find that the ramifications of my position are similar to your own in many respects except perhaps the most fundamental. The sole difference is I see no reason for a person's rights to be held by their parents until an arbitrary age of majority (decided by whom? Society, which has no business interfering in family business? The parents, who may decide to never rescind their proprietary claim at any age?). I believe it is the right of every individual to decide when he is no longer dependent, and to take aggressors to court.

My preference is not for a state of affairs in which the government seizes children, but for one in which young individuals may decide to declare independence from those upon whom they are dependent, and, having declared such independence, be free to make claims of civil and criminally liability against any who should harm them.

And, preference aside, any parent who would rape their children (which does happen) or beat them to the point of permanent physical damage ought to be prevented from such aggression. How best to achieve that within a framework of right is indeed a difficult question. Not impossible, I would say though. Perhaps the best state of affairs might be to have charity organizations willing to care for children whose dependency would be otherwise contingent upon such treatment.

Frankly, though, I tire of this discussion. Nobody ever convinces anybody of anything when it comes to abortion and the rights of a fetus.

Well I just spent 2 hours responding to this and somehow every damn thing I wrote is now random electrons.

So this is all I have time for, now.

It's obvious you think parental rights don't exist. That's fine because I know they do and I'll fight to the death for mine.

If "it is the right of every individual to decide when he is no longer dependent, and to take aggressors to court.", then how and when can parents apply any discipline?

I think the biggest difference between your ideas and mine are "belief system" related. We agree to disagree.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Well I just spent 2 hours responding to this and somehow every damn thing I wrote is now random electrons.

That's unfortunate. While I didn't originally particularly wish to resume this discussion, if you put that much effort into I'd have liked to consider the position.

It's obvious you think parental rights don't exist. That's fine because I know they do and I'll fight to the death for mine.
That won't be necessary. While I know you think I'm an interventionist when it comes to the family, my inclination is never to intervene. That I am not an absolutist is simple recognition of the existence of abuses so horrific that I would stop them myself if I witnessed them occurring, no government needed, and no approval from the abuser either. As it happens, I'm sure that will never arise between us. I am profoundly uninterested in the methods by which you raise your family.

The only thing I'd ask: Hypothetically, how would you defend to the death your right to parental ownership if you were that daughter-whipping judge, and "your" daughter had run away and stayed hidden until the arbitrarily-decided (I'm still curious by whom, incidentally) age of majority? It would seem, especially once adulthood is fait accompli, self-evidently to have been your daughters right. To what recompense would you feel entitled?

If "it is the right of every individual to decide when he is no longer dependent, and to take aggressors to court.", then how and when can parents apply any discipline?

As a condition to the care on which the child is, as you noted, dependent. The fact that a child has a (rather self-evident, I would think) right to run away does not mean that he will consider himself able to, or even want to.

I'd point out the parents have every right to "lie" (as I might say) to the child and teach him that he has no right to leave their care. It would therefore be dependent upon his ability to recognize the existence of his right before he might meaningfully exercise it. At which point, I'd say, yeah, the right exists.

I think the biggest difference between your ideas and mine are "belief system" related. We agree to disagree.

I think that's fair to say.

As I alluded to earlier, I think in most respects the results of our approaches are the same (differences in extremes notwithstanding). The approaches themselves stem from a different understanding of the source of rights.

I myself am inclined to argue that any right is self-evident in the ability to decide and act upon it, with the obvious proviso that it may not entail any aggressive harm to another.

Last edited:

georg jetson

As a condition to the care on which the child is, as you noted, dependent. The fact that a child has a (rather self-evident, I would think) right to run away does not mean that he will consider himself able to, or even want to.

I'd point out the parents have every right to "lie" (as I might say) to the child and teach him that he does have no right to leave them. It would therefore be dependent upon his ability to recognize the existence of his right regardless before he might meaningfully exercise it.

That the child has a right to run is not self evident. Well, maybe it is as self evident that the parent has a right to prevent him from running.

I think that's fair to say.

As I alluded to earlier, I think in most respects the results of our approaches are the same (differences in extremes notwithstanding). The approaches themselves stem from a different understanding of the source of rights.

Exactly... but how do we resolve this difference within the same governmental framework? Our understanding comes from our beliefs(religion). The only way I see it is that you raise your kids the way you want and leave me and my family the heck alone.

I myself am inclined to argue that any right is self-evident in the ability to decide and act upon it, with the obvious proviso that it may not entail any aggressive harm to another.

As I'm inclined to agree with your argument... as long as I'm not your dad. :)

sudden valley gunner

Perhaps you'll agree that introduction of the bill at the FEDERAL level constitutes a departure from states' rights on the issue. If not, I guess you don't see federal law in the same vein I do."

Without going to Thomas.gov for each year, I take an easier route and offer the wikipedia cite: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctity_of_Life_Act
"...Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) in 2005 in the 109th United States Congress, 110th United States Congress, and 111th United States Congress."
"...The Sanctity of Life Act would have defined human life and legal personhood (specifically, natural personhood) as beginning at conception,[SUP][1]"[/SUP]

This paragraph lists the five times he has introduced it.

Thanks for the link Tess. That helps clarify his position a bit. Although I disagree with life at conception concept. The part where it would take the Federal government out of the issue and leave it a State issue I agree with.
There are a few things I disagree with Dr. Paul on but in my opinion he is way way better than Santorum, Romney, Gingrich or Obama. And he would recognize his limited power as president.

rodbender

I see nothing wrong with an open discussion regarding the differences between males and female; both their strong and their week points. But to act as if the male is somehow weakened by the female or that the female doesn't have the metaphorical stones to pull a trigger, well, he hasn't met someone like me, and I am not the only female out there who has pulled a trigger with someone in my sights.

I think Santorum is the flavor of the next couple of week, am I wrong about this? Hopefully!

Personally, from a political perspective he could have taken a much different trip through this issue where he got to state what he wanted to state but not in a way that would create a negative response to viewers. He is right that there are differences between the two genders--the average height of a male is 5'11" and the average height of a female is 5'7"ish. Men are physiologically built for strength compared to the physiological makeup of females. Anyhoo.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/10/rick-santorum-women-military-combat-roles_n_1267851.html

"But I do have concerns about women in front-line combat, I think that could be a very compromising situation, where people naturally may do things that may not be in the interest of the mission, because of other types of emotions that are involved," Santorum continued. "It already happens, of course, with the camaraderie of men in combat, but I think it would be even more unique if women were in combat, and I think that's probably not in the best interest of men, women or the mission."

A signicant part of the article you left out, missy. God bless you liberals.

Santorum clarified his comments in an interview Friday morning on NBC's "Today":

"[I meant] exactly what I said," he maintained. "When you have men and women together in combat, I think there's -- men have emotions when you see a woman in harm's way. I think it's something that's natural, that's very much in our culture to be protective, and that was my concern."

Santorum then rejected a suggestion by NBC's Ann Curry that some had interpreted his original remarks to be a commentary on

"women being emotional."

"I've never raised that as a concern. No, the issue is -- and certainly one that has been talked about for a long, long time -- is how men would react to seeing women in harm's way, or potentially being injured or in a vulnerable position, and not being concerned about accomplishing the mission."

DrakeZ07

Without any input there would be no conception? :eek:

Here is the problem I see with a blanket statement like that. A woman can choose to abort a pregnancy or not understandably (although I personally don't like abortion, I have no constitutional right to stop you) but a woman can also choose to have a baby against the fathers will and force him into a system that can keep him broke and not allow him to choose his own path in life, especially when the father is a young man.

I encourage all young men to use protection, but there are plenty of women who will simply have a baby for money, entrapment etc. and they will lie about being on the pill or what ever protection available to them.

You just described my BF's ex to the T.

Because before my BF and I got together, he got drunk at a party, passed out, a woman took advantage of him, got pregnant, and no matter how much my BF or I pleads with her, she refuses to abort or adopt. Because men cannot, according to the County Attorney, be raped; and my BF's ex, has said she awaits the coming alimony.

My BF has no legal right or precedence, has no legal say, has no legal backing. And because of this woman seeing him as an easy target, he's going to suffer miserably, because he barely makes enough to support himself, and me.

Last edited:

beebobby

Santorum commenting on military issues is like the pope making rules concerning womens reproductive rights.

Beretta92FSLady

What the bible teaches christians about when life starts:
http://joeschwartz.net/life.htm

Many religious fanatics dismiss where the Bible has drawn the line of life. There is a Biblical evolution of "life" though, and it seems the far right has it pegged down to the egg and sperm independant of one another.

I am a bit surpirsed that the right would be arguing during elections that females should not have complete access to contraception. This election cycle is going to tip hard for President Obama.

Daylen

I am a bit surpirsed that the right would be arguing during elections that females should not have complete access to contraception. This election cycle is going to tip hard for President Obama.

What's with the strawman? That all you have? The argument is that those who are morally against contraception should not have to pay for other's contraception. No one is suggesting outlawing women buying condoms or anything silly like that. But if a woman wants such a product she can pay for it herself instead of having someone else forced to pay for it.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Thanks for the link Tess. That helps clarify his position a bit. Although I disagree with life at conception concept. The part where it would take the Federal government out of the issue and leave it a State issue I agree with.
There are a few things I disagree with Dr. Paul on but in my opinion he is way way better than Santorum, Romney, Gingrich or Obama. And he would recognize his limited power as president.

I don't find him way better than any Republican. That said, I will NOT vote for Paul, Santorum, or Gingrich.

Of the five, I'd support Romney for what he could do for the country, but I do NOT like him.

For now, I'm supporting Libertarian Gary Johnson who tried to run as a Republican.

My final choice remains to be seen.

georg jetson

Ok. Take 2...

Who decides rights can't overlap? A marriage creates over-lapping rights. Who decides pre-existing rights supersede innocent rights? In cases where the sex was consensual, the mother decides to put the fetus in it's dependent position.

If you had stolen the homeless man's house causing his homelessness, then rights have already been trespassed upon.

No. The woman(parent's) have caused the dependancy

... and when the "creator" gave us rights, he no longer possess control over it... death?. ...and when the government gives privileges it no longer possess power over the permit. In fact the opposite happens. The giving implies control.

Yes, it has such a right. It is, however, more than likely dependent upon its parents and, lacking a right to the care they might provide, must accept the parents' rules upon which such care is conditional. SNIP

What about the right of the parents to require compliance? The requirement is irrespective of "care".

Sorry it took so long to get back on this but dang... people gotta work. :)

I'm gonna go pick on another one of your posts now.

Last edited: