• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Saw the "Safety Bullet" Advertised on the News...

Sonora Rebel

Small children generally don't have the dexterity or physical strength in their hands to cycle a slide. They will however 'pull' triggers. This is usually the 1st thing they will do. Unfortunately... many adults will do the same thing... or at least put their booger hook inside the trigger guard as soon as they pick the thing up. I've witnessed that a lot in gun shops. Nothing is 100%, ever, but the idea behind this product is sound. Kids and idiots tend to pull triggers. Oh... you can tell kids not to do this 'n that 'til you're blue in the face, but that's not always a solution.

When i was little, I knew where 'the gun' was, but it was a 'no touch' item. I had my cap pistols 'n stuff... but I knew that this thing was 'real'. No gun locks... and I dunno (to this day) if a round was in the pipe or not. Sure... you can 'forget', but you can 'forget' to trip the slide safety too. You can 'forget' having one in the pipe or not as well. Both can create one of those 'ahhhchitt' moments. Using a 'safety bullet' you just have to remember it's there.

I don't have any small children in the house... not even as visitors, but for the adults (who may come from no-gun environs out-of-state) I get their collective attention before anything else and inform them that there are guns located all over this house. Consider them loaded. Do NOT handle them in any manner. If you do... you will be told to leave... no matter who you are. I carry a pistol of some sort on me at all times... as this is a remote 'Open Range' area. Personally, I'd have no use for this safety bullet gadget, but I can see instances where some folks would. It's all about free choice anyway... Right?

tcmech

I saw this thing (perhaps under a different name) at a gun show about 2 years ago. It didn't make much sense to me. The guy didn't seem to have very many potential customers stopping at his table.

It's a kludge, seems to me, for most of us.

Although, the thing might be quite effective for, say, apartment living and where gun safes are not used/desired. Actually, that may be a reasonably large/attractive market . . . if it can be reached.

The idea of disabling a gun unless the owner (good guy) is holding it is a good one. But I'm waiting for the holy grail: the personally controlled gun (PC gun). Something with a chip in it or with some means to detect that it is MY firearm--allowing ME AND ONLY ME to fire it. Something that gives me 100% personal control over MY gun.

If such a gun could be made to be reliable and effective . . . wwwowww . . . I'd buy one in one minute. I would even be glad to pay more for such a gun, since it would provide more value.

It would change . . . A LOT.

Hmm, just thinking it through, a PC gun would actually further the diffusion of OC . . .

That would be just great till the government figured out the universal code to disable your firearms and made you a subject instead of a citizen.

Jaxinc

No point to this...

My sidearm is either in its holster on my hip, in its holster on my passenger seat of the Z or in a lock box at home. It never leaves my sight outside of the lock box and is always unloaded at home.

Long as you exercise proper gun safety, there is no need for a bullet that jams in the barrel... There is also the fact should it ever be needed... don't really have time to rack it twice.

AngryBiker

My gun is under my supervision, or it is locked when I am asleep or in places I cannot carry (such as on base). You see, my front door locks. If you mean anything more than that, I must disagree and will not follow your advice. Moreover, I would advise, in the strongest terms, precisely the opposite.

Folks, keep your firearm accessible. When seconds count, keys get fumbled and combos get forgotten.

Should the government try to legislate your advice, I'd see that as in infringement on the RKBA.

I keep my Colt 1991A1 on the nightstand, cocked and locked, my Glock 23 by the sofa while I'm watching the boob tube, my Glock 22 on top of the fridge and my Kahr PM9 by the computer. I have others scattered about the house but those are the main areas I'm likely to be at any given moment. I don't live in the best of neighborhoods but I don't like walking around the house strapped.

XDM 9MM Squared

Not in my gun!

I have to say in my opinion that is among the most ignorant things I have seen!

Now at three in the morning you have 2 gunmen storming into your home through your bedroom window.

They get off two shots, one into you and the second one into your wife.

Your bleeding out and wife in most likely dead at your side.

You grab your gun and try to fire.....pop!

You finish the rest of this story.

P.S. To the original poster. I don’t mean this to be directed at you by no means. I hope you could see that.

Last edited:

waapl01

weps on base

The very clear danger involves complacency arising from the use of this "safety bullet." The complacency occurs when the adult leaves the firearm unattented, wrongly believing the firearm has been rendered "safe." We all know firearms are never safe, at least not until they're a puddle of slag.

In the next step - a child racks out the safety round, as he's seen the adult do, loading a live round, which the child then fires, thinking it's still a "safety bullet."

One cannot rely on such simple technology to protect a child. One must maintain positive (not passive) control of one's firearms at all times, and that includes in safes, where one must maintain positive control of the keys with the same diligence as is used to maintain positive control of the firearm itself.

My safe has has two keys, one physical and one electronic. Both are required to open it. The only time I keep my firearm in my safe is when I'm away and not carrying, or when non-firearm-friendly visitors are present.

Otherwise, it's always in my reach.

It actually has a third key, in case the electronics lose power. In order to maintain positive control, I keep that key off-site, in a second safe owned by a family member.

I agree that this state of affairs on our military installations is absurd, and it's apparently a recent and unfortunate development. When I was in the Q's, my firearms had to be kept in the armory, but when I moved into a house on base, regs allowed me to transport them to and from my residence on base. Now, after having served and defended my country and her interests with honor and distinction for more than twenty years, and having honorably retired, I can no longer defend myself on base? Even when I can do so everywhere else in the State and throughout more than 40 states in our Union?

Absurd!

And I dare say the military doesn't exactly have a very good track record of protecting people on base.

Back to the "safety bullet," in the video the only reason he used two was to demonstrate the slide lockup during the second half of the demonstration. It's actual use only requires one "safety bullet," so that the user would only have to rack the slide once.

Regardless, I do not view the "safety bullet" as "safe," certainly not if the firearm is left lying around.

Furthermore, I do not view this as "safe" in a conflict, unless one has always trained to rack the slide after drawing one's firearm. I carry in condition two, round chambered, full magazine in place, safety off, hammer down. I need only draw and fire, and that's the way I've trained for two decades. Should I ever begin using the "safety bullet," I would require some serious re-training, or I would likely draw, fire, and inadvertently disable my firearm, leaving me a target!

To me, that's not very safe.
Ticks me off as well. If ur comong from somewhere and want to stop at the exchange, u can't.

waapl01

weps on base

Regs varied from base to base. However, during my entire time in the AF, at all the bases to which I was assigned, firearms could be brought on base only if you lived on base, but had to be kept in the armory. If one wanted to use his firearm at the range or take it off base, he had to check it out of the armory and proceed directly to the range or the gate. He had to return it to the armory first thing after leaving the range or coming back through the gate.

On edit: Maxwell now seems to allow firearms in family housing. Beyond that, the rules seem to be the same as when I was in the AF. As someone not living in family housing, I am still barred from carrying on base.

On edit: Interesting, though, there seems to be a provision for the installation commander to approve the validity of CC permits on base. I will look into this.

http://www.maxwell.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123194841
CO's discretion for each base location.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Small children generally don't have the dexterity or physical strength in their hands to cycle a slide.

My rather muscular 10-year-old 100-lb son couldn't rack the slide on my CZ 85 B this past summer. When he returned over Thanksgiving, however, he weighed 120-lb, and could rack the slide just fine. My 120-ex had difficulty racking the slide on a Walther PPK .380 ACP, so she wanted the .44 loaded with specials. We compromised by my talking her into keeping the .380 with one in the chamber and the safety on. She had the strength to flip that off!

JoeSparky

Centurion
My rather muscular 10-year-old 100-lb son couldn't rack the slide on my CZ 85 B this past summer. When he returned over Thanksgiving, however, he weighed 120-lb, and could rack the slide just fine. My 120-ex had difficulty racking the slide on a Walther PPK .380 ACP, so she wanted the .44 loaded with specials. We compromised by my talking her into keeping the .380 with one in the chamber and the safety on. She had the strength to flip that off!

Doesn't take much strength to "flip that off!" maybe a little RESTRAINT to resist the urge! LOL

safetybullet

Safety Bullet responds

Saw the "Safety Bullet" Advertised on the News here in Tucson, AZ on K.O.L.D and thought it was flat out ridiculous.

Here is a link to the product's website: http://www.safetybullet.com/

Basically this product is supposed to be loaded into the chamber of a semi-auto, or into the cylinder to be fired on a revolver. When the trigger is pulled (Possibly in the event of a child getting a hold of the weapon) the "bullet" in the cartridge will expand rendering the weapon useless unless reset by inserting a rod down the barrel to reset the cartridge. Check out the website for a better description.

According to the manufacturer this is supposed to eliminate the need for a gun lock and can make it "Safe" to have around the house for quick access. I think its an excuse to not exercise the fundamentals of firearms safety, and to teach those fundamentals to children. I don't have any children to be concerned with when storing my firearms, but even if I did I would not be using this product.

I read quite a bit of other forums on this product and they all had the same opinion, that this product could cause more trouble for the operator than anything else.

Opinions?

The Safety Bullet is my answer to cable locks, trigger locks and gun safes. For the gun owner that has kids or grand kids coming by this is what I recommend you use. When it comes to flat out speed to get your gun ready to fire when compared to all other locks this blows them all away. Grab your gun rack rack boom. It is that fast. Or turn on the light, go find the key, unlock your gun, pull the cable out, load your gun THEN shoot the guy?! I would rather rack rack boom all day long. If your don't have kids you don't need this. Please email me with any questions.

Safety Bullet Inventor

eye95

The Safety Bullet is my answer to cable locks, trigger locks and gun safes. For the gun owner that has kids or grand kids coming by this is what I recommend you use. When it comes to flat out speed to get your gun ready to fire when compared to all other locks this blows them all away. Grab your gun rack rack boom. It is that fast. Or turn on the light, go find the key, unlock your gun, pull the cable out, load your gun THEN shoot the guy?! I would rather rack rack boom all day long. If your don't have kids you don't need this. Please email me with any questions.

Safety Bullet Inventor

Even faster: *snick* BOOM!

The *snick* is the sound of my safety coming off.

Here are the sounds one will likely hear when using a gun in an emergency that has a safety bullet in it.

*click*
*puhhhhh*
F***!!
Mabel! Whar's the dang reset tool!
*BOOM* (There goes Herb.)
*BOOM* (There goes Mabel.)
*BOOM* (There goes little Johnny, whom the safety bullet "protected.")

since9

Campaign Veteran

Safety Bullet Inventor

Oh, please. It's a lot slower than "DRAW-FIRE!", which works for myself and my family because I've taken the time to teach my son firearms safety, including range time. I either keep it on my hip or in a lock box. I would NEVER leave my firearm out for other kids to touch, with or without your "safety" bullet,

While I appreciate the fact that it might work ok for some locations require arms to be locked up when they're not on your hip, I also see an apparent desire for you to get rich off this by attempting to convince all states to require us to use the "safety" bullet i.e. force it down our throats at our expense, both monetarially and at a reduced firing time (in mine state as well as many others).

Even if that's not your intent, it could easily become the intent of well-intentioned, but ignorant legislators who don't realize that when a criminal comes at you, YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO "RACKRACK." You're lucky if you get a shot off at all!

NO THANKS. I am as dead set against that or any other "safety" device being mandatorially shoved down my throat as I am dead set against Pelosi, Brady, Clinton, and others attempting to yank our firearms from us altogether. It's just one step closer in the WRONG direction.

What I don't understand is, why don't you get that? Don't you have any idea of what we're fighting for here on this forum?

It's in interesting idea in theory. In the real world, it's no more safe than proper procedures, is likely a good bit more dangerous (particularly for those of us who open carry) and a lot slower!

Me: DRAWBANG
You: DRAWRACKRACKBANG

Count the letters.

If you want kids to be more safe, write a firearms safety manual for both kids and their parents that's both realistic and accepted by the NEA. The first one is easy (I wrote one for my son in two hours).

Good luck on that second one...

Last edited:

AbNo

Basically this product is supposed to be loaded into the chamber of a semi-auto, or into the cylinder to be fired on a revolver. When the trigger is pulled (Possibly in the event of a child getting a hold of the weapon) the "bullet" in the cartridge will expand rendering the weapon useless unless reset by inserting a rod down the barrel to reset the cartridge.

Opinions?

My opinion? This is a high-ranking nominee for Wost Idea of 2011.