• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Schools go into lockdown after volunteer asks to 'open carry' handgun

DanM

The time and place to present the gun at the school is always a touchy subject.

The time and place to have a gun *anywhere* is when you are criminally attacked. Criminals do not keep to a schedule, therefore there's no such thing as a "time and place" that can even be discussed as to when to have a gun.

Even more obviously, the people who consider lawful carry in school a "touchy subject" would have no concept of there being any "time and place" for it in a school. So, F 'em and carry on.

OneForAll

the time and place to have a gun *anywhere* is when you are criminally attacked. Criminals do not keep to a schedule, therefore there's no such thing as a "time and place" that can even be discussed as to when to have a gun.

Even more obviously, the people who consider lawful carry in school a "touchy subject" would have no concept of there being any "time and place" for it in a school. So, f 'em and carry on.

+1, sir

bigt8261

Whenever we talk about places, I always like to remind people of the travel to and from said place. According to this report on Pg 8, over 1/3 of violent crime occurs when one is in transit to or from their destination.

I don't necessarily expect to be attacked inside of a city commission meeting, but in the parking ramp, walking back to my car is a different story.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
She asked, it does not say that she was. The school "locked down" until she was off school property.....hmm.....why would they lock down the school, even partially, if she were unarmed. Because, even the mention of the word gun is enough to send bed wetters running to trap little kids in state provided kill zones.

In the intro read by the Newsreader on the video, it is stated that the woman carried a loaded gun into the school. Whether your conjecture regarding the word "gun" may be true or not is apparently not an issue in this instance.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...There are really only two points in either the video or the text:
She asked to open carry (it has been reported the she was open carrying at the time) and the school went into lock down.

How can that possibly translate into "lots of inaccuracies"? Did they get the name of the school wrong? or the individual involved? Did they get the day it happened wrong? etc.
You'll have to ask the source (TheQ) about that.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Good luck with that. All he does around here, is make snarky little vague comments and try to reroute the new-b's to his little MOC club.
I was unaware of his (alleged) activities.

It should be easy enough for one of the respected, nearby-living Michiganites to contact the woman and ask for her side of the story.

I'm sure we'd all like to read about the findings.

Ezerharden

Good luck with that. All he does around here, is make snarky little vague comments and try to reroute the new-b's to his little MOC club.

Actually he used to do a lot more around here until some individuals repeatedly crucified him.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Actually he used to do a lot more around here until some individuals repeatedly crucified him.
Usually for no reason other than they just don't like him, or the group he represents.

Since my original post, I've come to the conclusion that the woman who entered the school and then went to ask if it was ok, probably shouldn't have asked. But, since I don't know the whole situation between her and the school, I'll hold off making that my "official" position, and just say that, I think the school over reacted.

Ezerharden

Usually for no reason other than they just don't like him, or the group he represents.

Since my original post, I've come to the conclusion that the woman who entered the school and then went to ask if it was ok, probably shouldn't have asked. But, since I don't know the whole situation between her and the school, I'll hold off making that my "official" position, and just say that, I think the school over reacted.

Agreed with both points!

Raggs

and very often for good reason. C'mon, TheQ is no angel. And I think most people here are very supportive of what MOC does.

bigt8261

Based on what I'm hearing, it sounds as though the characterization of "ask" is not accurate.

Did the woman have a legitimate reason to enter the school? Something more than just going in to "ask" if it was ok?

If yes, then did her presence directly effect the learning of any student in a negative way?

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Based on what I'm hearing, it sounds as though the characterization of "ask" is not accurate.

Did the woman have a legitimate reason to enter the school? Something more than just going in to "ask" if it was ok?

If yes, then did her presence directly effect the learning of any student in a negative way?
Based on the story, she is/was a volunteer at the school. Somehow I'll bet her volunteer job doesn't last much longer, if it still exists at all. Which is a shame really.