• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Schools go into lockdown after volunteer asks to 'open carry' handgun

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoY3Kw_m0Ik

A SAD VIOLIN cries out for those so harmed by the words posted .....oh...the...humanity....

:) On topic - School way over reacted on this one IMHO.

Yes, they did. Additionally, demanding someone leave solely because they are openly carrying a pistol, if that is the case, could also be "legally" problematic for the school.

Last edited:

OneForAll

Yes, they did. Additionally, demanding someone leave solely because they are openly carrying a pistol, if that is the case, could also be "legally" problematic for the school.

What legal repercussions could the school have face because of this? The legal repercussion for Stainless was trespassing, what could he have done?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
What legal repercussions could the school have face because of this? The legal repercussion for Stainless was trespassing, what could he have done?

Currently, we have the Appeals Court decision in CADL (appeal to Mich Supreme Court denied) that solidified the supremecy of state law over any local firearm regulation. In the reasoning of that case, a reference was made to policies of a local school district. I would have to believe that the individual who was trespassed from the school would have standing to pursue the case...if the reason were that it was based solely due to the person openly carrying a pistol into the school. Now, if the person was not, in fact, ordered to leave the premises or, alternatively, was carrying a pistol contrary to state law (illegally), there really wouldn't be any violation of state law by the school and no legal recourse would apparently be available. Were I her and if I had met the legal requirements to possess the pistol on school property under state law, and actually possessed the pistol while there, And had been ordered to leave, I would seriously consider legal action.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

A rant...

Because school boards are impotent to force law abiding citizens to obey what they perceive to be their "authority" they are resorting to the liberal's (leftist's) favorite tactic..... trying to use public opinion to demonize those they can't control.

I chose the word "impotent" on purpose because the fury of not being able to force people to obey is the driving force behind all this "lockdown" stuff. After all.. if the school gets locked down often enough because of legally carried guns then the parents are being sent a message that it is those terrible gun people that are at fault for the lockdowns. And for scaring the kids... and scaring the parents.

In short... the school boards are using lockdowns hoping to manipulate the parents into hating gun owners/carriers and supporting stricter gun control (more school board "authoritay"! to make people obey).

Weenie liberals (leftists) never have the guts to man up and come at you face to face... they always come at you sideways using the tools of manipulation, implication, insult, and ridicule.

....end rant

Last edited by a moderator:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
A rant...

Because school boards are impotent to force law abiding citizens to obey what they perceive to be their "authority" they are resorting to the liberal's (leftist's) favorite tactic..... trying to use public opinion to demonize those they can't control.

I chose the word "impotent" on purpose because the fury of not being able to force people to obey is the driving force behind all this "lockdown" stuff. After all.. if the school gets locked down often enough because of legally carried guns then the parents are being sent a message that it is those terrible gun people that are at fault for the lockdowns. And for scaring the kids... and scaring the parents.

In short... the school boards are using lockdowns hoping to manipulate the parents into hating gun owners/carriers and supporting stricter gun control (more school board "authoritay"! to make people obey).

Weenie liberals (leftists) never have the guts to man up and come at you face to face... they always come at you sideways using the tools of manipulation, implication, insult, and ridicule.

....end rant

I don't know who originally said this to me but it seems appropriate: Issues of power and control seem to come up so often when the stakes are so low.
School Board membership typically is a "low stakes" position where people are elected on name recognition. Most of the time they deal with such matters as approving expenditures for band uniforms or computers. Every once in a while, something happens where they can make public proclamations, thinking themselves the most erudite group of people ever assembled. However, often they show themselves to be the opposite.

Last edited:

Tucker6900

I hate the lockdown policy. "Lets put all of our kids in a nice neat package and hand it to someone who is more than willing to make a mess of it."

I prefer the escape and evade policy. My kids school has doors leading to the outside from every classroom. Although, if Sandy Hook is any indication, our children stand no chance against an agenda driven government.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

FreeInAZ

Neil, is that you?

Now back on topic...

My Daughters school has whopping 5 foot tall steel rod gates (tastefully designed) and a really stern looking 98lb receptionist lady manning the front office....that should keep the gun wielding / child killing loons at bay as we all know they are terrified of a fence over 3 feet tall and are unable to jump even a kiddie fence. Sarcasm off now. The issue is a very real one (school security) being overseen by delusional people who think crazy people read signs & laws and obey them. :eek:

Hey! I guess that makes me & other law-abiding citizens crazy? :(

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I see that still, NONE of you Michiganders has yet contacted the woman in question and found out what the REAL story was, and how it differs from the media's presentation.

Great work! :uhoh:

Now, back to your regular off-topic and opinion posts.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Where does it say she was openly carrying? I do not see it.

Al, it appears she entered the school to ask permission while wearing an openly carried pistol on her hip. BTW, the school does not violate the law by going into "lockdown", the school did violate the law by saying she can't openly carry her pistol in the school, despite her showing them her CPL.

This is what comes of not reading the thread before posting. The video says she had a loaded gun, but does not say she was openly carrying. Perhaps they asked her if she had a gun?

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

I see that still, NONE of you Michiganders has yet contacted the woman in question and found out what the REAL story was, and how it differs from the media's presentation.

Great work! :uhoh:

Now, back to your regular off-topic and opinion posts.

Yes oh powerful one. You are correct: the Millions of people that live in MI all know each other on a first name basis & live within minutes of one another. :rolleyes: Hell - they should have just skipped right over to her house and had a lengthy conversation with her over tea & cookies.

For someone who has been a forum member for many years, you sure don't know how to communicate in a friendly manner...go figure?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
This is what comes of not reading the thread before posting. The video says she had a loaded gun, but does not say she was openly carrying. Perhaps they asked her if she had a gun?

If you are under the impression that I don't understand the known facts, as reported in the video, I believe you are mistaken. But, I think this is an issue perhaps stemming from you not understanding Michigan gun law.

The reporter says that the school went into lockdown when "the woman carried a loaded gun into the building". A short time later, the reporter says that "local officials said the woman did nothing wrong"

If she carried the weapon into the school, she either "carried" the weapon Concealed or Openly.

If she carried the weapon concealed, the authorities would not have said "the woman did nothing wrong" as her actions would have violated MCL 28.425o. Therefore, she must have carried the weapon openly. Since there is nothing in Michigan gun law that prohibits a CPL holder from OPENLY carrying a pistol into the school, the local authorities would be correct in their statement that the woman did nothing wring.

Last edited: