• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle Hempfest 2014: Part I. No guns allowed

EMNofSeattle

In my experience, most post smokers understand the value of rights as a concept (having seen theirs violated daily) and defend more of them with more consistency and integrity than I've ever seen you demonstrate in the same vein.

Sounds like the woman on CNN years ago who couldn't understand why bush won because she knew no one who voted for him, your circle of people is selected by you to a large degree

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Sounds like the woman on CNN years ago who couldn't understand why bush won because she knew no one who voted for him, your circle of people is selected by you to a large degree

Perhaps. Even so, I wasn't suggesting that the pot smokers I know were as good as the non-pot-smokers I know on rights overall, I was suggesting they are better than the average non-pot-smoker. It would seem that any selection bias would apply equally to both groups, since I don't select my friends with preference to either group.

Dave_pro2a

Read the comment I quoted, it specified drunk and high drivers, which ranks over 15 thousand deaths every year, and was much much higher before the "false security" brought on by cracking down on drunk drivers

So you support banning alcohol and drugs because it reduces fatalities.

By the same logic, reducing deaths from firearms is enough justification to ban guns.

Try again.

cpgrad08

And you know who helps chip away at gun right? The type of people who attend hempfest. I'll bet the ones who do vote vote for Ed Murray, and sawant, and the whole crew who wants gun bans. Look, most gun rights people voted for their stupid initiative and they decide to ban lawful carry at their event.. You want to smoke pot then smoke it and leave me alone problem is most pot users the only right they support are pot and gay marriage. Really if we were living in brave new world they would be perfectly happy

Both which are not rights, the same goes straight marriages as well.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

Rights are not such because of their enumeration in the Constitution. Rights are rights because they do not limit the equivalent liberty of another. This undoubtedly applies to both pot-smoking and getting married to a (consenting) person of any gender.

Dave_pro2a

So you're a statist? Believing that the STATE should dictate who cohabitants together and form a family, and what people put into their body (like the NY sugar ban)

Pro-freedom, or pro-oppression.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
So you're a statist? Believing that the STATE should dictate who cohabitants together and form a family, and what people put into their body (like the NY sugar ban)

Pro-freedom, or pro-oppression.

Gently, Dave. Gently.

His is a common misperception, one for which he is not wholly to blame.

The Truth

Dave and Marshaul maybe you guys should consider a legal union of some type. You seem to work well together! :D

Totally kidding, I respect and agree with both of your points of view.

Dave_pro2a

Gently, Dave. Gently.

His is a common misperception, one for which he is not wholly to blame.

He is an adult, with a semi-functional brain.

He is 100% at fault for his pro-oppression opinions and value system.

100%

Dave_pro2a

Srsly bro? U don't know how our gov is supposed to work.

WHAT RIGHT DOES THE GOVERNMENT HAVE to tell any person what they can or cannot put into their body. Name the source of that 'Government right!'

WHAT RIGHT DOES THE GOVERNMENT HAVE to tell any person what gender they cannot enter a union with? Name the source of that 'Government right!'

Try.

TexasOC

6d9b88c5b7bec23cb915d895cb6ca738.jpg

Dave_pro2a

I don't want to be a gay married dude protecting MJ plants with guns.

But what effing Right do I have to tell him he can't be one.

What right does the State or Federal government have to tell him he can't be one?

Still waiting for the pro-oppression people to give a somewhat intelligent response (and non-hypocritical). I'm probably asking for too much.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

EMN was told they are bad by the authorities so they must be bad....:rolleyes:

I don't think the authorities have any complicity in the family history of alcoholism.... Or the history of drug abuse friends of mine have experienced....

@rapgood. I did not call all marijuana users losers, I called hempfest loser fest, if you care to know why, I went years ago and people all gave off the impression and some outright said they were on public assistance or parental money ... One even wanted the government to pay for his pot... Hence the cynicism of the people who attend

TexasOC

I don't want to be a gay married dude protecting MJ plants with guns.

But what effing Right do I have to tell him he can't be one.

What right does the State or Federal government have to tell him he can't be one?

Still waiting for the pro-oppression people to give a somewhat intelligent response (and non-hypocritical). I'm probably asking for too much.

You won't get an intelligent response because it doesn't exist. If a man supports one type of freedom but not another, then the only logical conclusion is that he doesn't care about freedom, he only cares about his own interests. These types of people are pro-gun rights simply because they like guns, not because they value freedom or the Constitution.