• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle is planning a buy back!

Vitaeus

Yes, I am certain that everyone who has ever done a garage sale or disposed of their property to another private individual dutifully reports their use tax to the local municipalities and the state.

sudden valley gunner

I believe that purple is the color of sarcasm in current vogue, no purple I must have been speaking in deadpan honesty.

Damn I gave up the purple. Was really only using it to express the silliness of using it.

I have met you and your wife and kids and from my limited exposure have think of you as a man of integrity. Something that state laws have nothing to do with.

Samantha

Hmmm I might just sell them an old mosin Nagant I've been trying to sell for a while now without much luck, it couldn't be worth much more than $100 I wonder if they will consider it an AW if I give them the bayonet as well.

Freedom1Man

Hmmm I might just sell them an old mosin Nagant I've been trying to sell for a while now without much luck, it couldn't be worth much more than $100 I wonder if they will consider it an AW if I give them the bayonet as well.

Why not re-barrel it and make it a .30-30 or a .45/70 but you'd either have to open up the bolt face or turn the rims down on the .45/70.

They make a good base for a bolt action .45/70. They are a little different to re-barrel because you have to machine a notch into the barrel.

boatswain

Trigger Dr has raised an interesting point. The RCW does not appear to allow the City to legally destroy these guns!

9.13.040 Disposal of forfeited firearms.
Any firearms seized by and forfeited to the City pursuant to State law shall be turned over to the chief law enforcement officer, who may to the extent allowed under RCW 9.41.098 dispose of said firearms as follows:
(a) The chief law enforcement officer may retain legal forfeited firearms for Police Department use, subject to the limitations of RCW 9.41.098(2)(b);
(b) The chief law enforcement officer may sell legal forfeited firearms at auction, or in any other manner allowed by law;
(c) Illegal forfeited firearms, defined as those firearms that are illegal to possess, must be destroyed. (Ord. 01-702 § 5; Ord. 08-864 § 1).

Freedom1Man

Trigger Dr has raised an interesting point. The RCW does not appear to allow the City to legally destroy these guns!

9.13.040 Disposal of forfeited firearms.
Any firearms seized by and forfeited to the City pursuant to State law shall be turned over to the chief law enforcement officer, who may to the extent allowed under RCW 9.41.098 dispose of said firearms as follows:
(a) The chief law enforcement officer may retain legal forfeited firearms for Police Department use, subject to the limitations of RCW 9.41.098(2)(b);
(b) The chief law enforcement officer may sell legal forfeited firearms at auction, or in any other manner allowed by law;
(c) Illegal forfeited firearms, defined as those firearms that are illegal to possess, must be destroyed. (Ord. 01-702 § 5; Ord. 08-864 § 1).

Isn't it funny?

skeith5

They aren't being forfeited, they are being sold to SPD. I'm sure they can do what they want with them after that point.

I think you'd have a tough sell in court that they are violating that law.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Freedom1Man

They aren't being forfeited, they are being sold to SPD. I'm sure they can do what they want with them after that point.

I think you'd have a tough sell in court that they are violating that law.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Where is the legal authority for this "buy back" in the first place?

If it is a purchase then, the Seattle PD should be punished for receiving any stolen firearms.

skeith5

Just spoke with Dave at SAF. They are going to have a video crew at the buy back. I'm still planning on going but it looks like my budget has increased! Hopefully there will be something worth buying...

Scott

skeith5

I heard on KIRO this morning that Seattle is doing another buy-back. Anyone know when?--I can't seem to find any info on it.

This Saturday between 9am and 3PM. Between James and Cherry under I-5.

I picked up the 2013 standard catalog of firearms, which I will bring with me. If someone doesn't want to sell me their gun for cash I can at least give them so idea of what their gun could be worth if they sold it through a dealer.

Scott