• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting at Northern Virginia Community College woodbridge campus

architect

imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
That was my thought as well. Why not try to take him down from behind. Clearly he wanted a 1v1 with the teacher alone. But for everyone to haul out of there (and I don't blame them for wanting to save their own skin), why wouldn't just one person even try...
Because they are trained from childhood to run away from danger rather than confront it?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I would expect the cry now may possibly be a re-institution of the the defunct waiting period to now cover all firearms and perhaps for five days statewide or across the nation. This could serve at least three purposes from their perspective.

1. The waiting, or "cool down" period is a pretty restrictive form of gun control.

2. This could seriously affect gun shows and could close many of them down.

3. This could halt private sales and/or force them to go through a back ground check with the firearm being held by the police and released by them after the waiting period.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

architect wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
That was my thought as well. Why not try to take him down from behind. Clearly he wanted a 1v1 with the teacher alone. But for everyone to haul out of there (and I don't blame them for wanting to save their own skin), why wouldn't just one person even try...
Because they are trained from childhood to run away from danger rather than confront it?

You are nicer than I am. I was thinking "because we are raising a nation of wimps!":cuss: Oh crap... did I say that out loud?

simmonsjoe

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
architect wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:

You are nicer than I am. I was thinking "because we are raising a nation of wimps!":cuss: Oh crap... did I say that out loud?
HEY!! Watch yourself!! Your not allowed to hurt peoples feeling anymore. You must have been raised when dodge ball was still in the schools.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
architect wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:

HEY!! Watch yourself!! Your not allowed to hurt peoples feeling anymore. You must have been raised when dodge ball was still in the schools.
I grew up when woopings were still in school.:lol:

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
architect wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:

HEY!! Watch yourself!!  Your not allowed to hurt peoples feeling anymore.  You must have been raised when dodge ball was still in the schools.

Yea. Me too:uhoh:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Wolf_shadow wrote:
Yea. Me too:uhoh:
Finally, reliable evidence that Socrates used corporalpunishment on his students. :D:p
Hey I don't know about Hawk but I'm not that old!:quirky
Never trust anybody older than Citizen. :? :p

Yata hey

altajava

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
While I really hate to interrupt this discussion to post on the topic --

It would seem that the "boy wonder" in this shooting event, bought his rifle at a store along the Prince William Prky. Only one I can think of would be Dick's Sporting goods.

In this case at least it was not a "black" rifle, as he is reported to have used a Marlin bolt action .30-06, which "Jammed" during the incident. Apparently the shooter was not experienced and could not clear the weapon and that is why only 2 shots were fired. Divine intervention at its best I suppose.

Regards

Yep, I Just read an article on Yahoo that said he bought it at Dick's Sporting Goods on Monday. I guess this guy only wanted to kill his teacher. I don't see why he would buy a bolt action rifle is he was planning on going on a rampage. Someone should have gotten up and tackled his ass after he fired the first shot before he could get another round chambered.
I realize I'm a little late on this but it just occurred to me. In the state of Virginia you must 21 to buy an "assault weapon". The state considers "black rifles" and even tacticool shotguns "assault weapons". Thus the shooter wasforced to buy a rifle that actually takes some skill to operate which he obviously didn't have.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

altajava wrote:
snip...
In the state of Virginia you must 21 to buy an "assault weapon". The state considers "black rifles" and even tacticool shotguns "assault weapons.
Cite please.

Yata hey