• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So about Obama taking rights away...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It occurs to me that it is the Taliban or Al Queda's choice to fight without uniforms or some distinguishing insignia or something.

In short, I'm not yet convinced that they deserve certain treatment one way or another, since they choose to make themselves difficult to identify.

Perhaps treating all asspies, but keeping them alive for intelligence value is a workable approach. And then prison or death once it is determined thereis no more information value.

While I value rights, I'm not convinced our military would engage in wholesale extermination of civilians. I think they can tell whether a person is Taliban or Al Queda. Not necessarily at the point of capture--say, he is not surrendering, gun in hand after a failed ambush--but after interrogation.

Of course, those caught with a thrown-down AK at their feet get an automatic airlift to Guantanamo Bay or where ever.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pamiam wrote:
... release prisoners
Those are dangerous people, and he is jeopardizing the safety of others in doing so. That doesn't foster confidence in this administration.
Something about safety being a tyrant's tool...

Speaking of tools, something about a useful tool in the person of the author of the post I've quoted here...

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PaulBlart wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
PaulBlart wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090123/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/guantanamo_al_qaida

people picked up in foreign lands never had US constitutional rights, only if they were picked up in the US.

not sure what "rights" you think people from other countries have. they certainly don't have US constitutional rights unless they are on US soil.

The Constitution doesn't grant right, it just acknowledges they exist.

What happened to "innate" "natural" rights?

What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

What due process did these "terrorists" get?
only to people on US soil ;)
Without heroes like you, we would have already lost our rights to invading illegal immigrants who would steal them to use for themselves.

mkl

imported post

Citizen wrote:
It occurs to me that it is the Taliban or Al Queda's choice to fight without uniforms or some distinguishing insignia or something.
Of course, those caught with a thrown-down AK at their feet get an automatic airlift to Guantanamo Bay or where ever.

Totally agree. I think that back in the American revolution any militia that didn't have proper uniforms and were not fighting "properly" and instead were using these guerilla tactics that were unfair to the british should have been hanged immediately. Sadly the british frequently didn't do this, and just kept these enemy combatants as prisoners.
That's probably why the british don't have guns today, they were soft on terror.

PaulBlart

Banned
imported post

marshaul wrote:
PaulBlart wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
PaulBlart wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090123/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/guantanamo_al_qaida

people picked up in foreign lands never had US constitutional rights, only if they were picked up in the US.

not sure what "rights" you think people from other countries have. they certainly don't have US constitutional rights unless they are on US soil.

only to people on US soil ;)
Without heroes like you, we would have already lost our rights to invading illegal immigrants who would steal them to use for themselves.
DETECT DETER OBSERVE REPORT

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

What about the Chinese Muslims the US admits have nothing to do with terrorism? They were rounded up just because they were in the area. Should we just shoot them?

What about the US squad that was pissed off because they were ambushed so they went and slaughtered some families that lived nearby? They would get away with war crimes if they could flash their "license to kill terrorists on the spot".

Bad deal. If they're in combat with US troops and die, oh well. If captured they should be processed under GC just like any other soldier. Doesn't this give us the right to hold them to the end of hostilities? Then give them back to the countries they came from, by force if necessary.

US troops have used civilian clothes and "hit and run" tactics before as well. Ask the Brits.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mkl wrote:
Citizen wrote:

Totally agree. I think that back in the American revolution any militia that didn't have proper uniforms and were not fighting "properly" and instead were using these guerilla tactics that were unfair to the british should have been hanged immediately. Sadly the british frequently didn't do this, and just kept these enemy combatants as prisoners. That's probably why the british don't have guns today, they were soft on terror.
:lol: Very funny!

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Ireland... And look how well that worked for the Brits. It's always a mess. Shoot 'em in combat or treat them as soldiers if captured.
New phony classifications and laws just muddle the process and wind up entrapping innocents and being used as a tool by undisciplined US forces to avoid prosecution.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Jim675 wrote:
Shoot 'em in combat or treat them as soldiers if captured.
SNIP...

This would be the correct answer. But since that is not what we did, we now have to decide things on a different basis.

Treating these people as humans with rights is not simplya "PC" issue, it is an American ideals issue. If you want to be no better than the terrorists then fine... call them names to dehumanize them and help us all believe they are subhuman. Then pull them out of their cells in Gitmo and into the nearest street and shoot them with no due process of ANY kind. Better yet we could behead them...you know an eye for an eye kind of thing. Prove to the terrorist that they have won by bring us all down to their level. Prove to them that we are just as they think we are to justify their holy war. Also by sending them to Ala as martyrs at the hands of the infideltheir deaths can be used to recruit more terrorists. That way we can improve the economy by keeping this thing going indefinitely.

OR

You can admit that we screwed up in not shooting them on the battlefield when it would have been justified and provide SOME kind of due process in a military trial, or even some staged event like Nuremberg. If that leads to death sentences fine, but we will have not given up our own values to satisfy a vendetta that will never fill the whole created on September 11, 2001.

The fact is that the American people and by extension the Government, never had the stomach to do what had to be done to win a war like this. Because of that we should never have started until we ALL understood that we would have to kill EVERYONE to put down terrorism. Anyone who ever spent ten seconds understanding that part of the world knew that, and that was the elephant in the corner when this started.

The reason we have not had another incident HERE is because we have had troops THERE. The administration knows this and is using the troops as a decoy specifically to keep the shooting over there. As long as there are Americans to shoot over there, they have no incentive to come here to kill Americans. Once we bring everyone home they Will have to come here to get access to lots of targets. But they are already here, as sleepers, so what do you think will happen after Obama brings everyone home.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
The reason we have not had another incident HERE is because we have had troops THERE.  The administration knows this and is using the troops as a decoy specifically to keep the shooting over there.  As long as there are Americans to shoot over there, they have no incentive to come here to kill Americans.  Once we bring everyone home they Will have to come here to get access to lots of targets.  But they are already here, as sleepers, so what do you think will happen after Obama brings everyone home.
Citation?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

marshaul wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
The reason we have not had another incident HERE is because we have had troops THERE. The administration knows this and is using the troops as a decoy specifically to keep the shooting over there. As long as there are Americans to shoot over there, they have no incentive to come here to kill Americans. Once we bring everyone home they Will have to come here to get access to lots of targets. But they are already here, as sleepers, so what do you think will happen after Obama brings everyone home.
Citation?
Don't need one, I have a natural right to my opinion and you have to simply accept it. Do your own research, educating you is not my problem.
Na_Na_Na_Na.gif

MeBaby

imported post

Jim675 wrote:
snipped...

What about the US squad that was pissed off because they were ambushed so they went and slaughtered some families that lived nearby? They would get away with war crimes if they could flash their "license to kill terrorists on the spot".

snipped...
You talking about Haditha? Did you get your info from John Murtha?????? If you ARE talking about Haditha, you have very BAD information. All the people that were brought up on charges have been AQUITTED except for one and that one is still pending (oh and one that pled guilty so he could roll on the rest and hope for a lesser sentence).

MeBaby

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Deanimator wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
uncoolperson wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
xd45_in_TX wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:

I agree with you about the rights of people, but what I don't understand and haven't heard about is what they are going to do with the detainees. Will they get a speedy trial or will they just be released into the U.S.?

They can come live with me for all I care. It hasn't been PROVED they've done anything wrong, so why shouldn't they go free? While they're free maybe the government can start the investigations and then maybe detain them for trial, kind of like what should have happened in the first place.
pow's have very limited rights.

Actually, under the Geneva Conventions, POWs have very well-defined rights.

But these prisoners have been denied POW status.
Taliban? Yeah, POWs maybe.

Al Qaeda? Exactly what "country" do they represent? What uniform do they wear? When have they EVER abided by the Geneva Conventions themselves? The President has the right to order "reprisals", and FDR made no secret of the fact that he would do so against the Germans if necessary. We should render Geneva Convention protections only to those who render them to us. What part of the Geneva Conventions allows you to saw somebody's head off alive OR dead?

We find ourselves in the position of Britain or Canada if Charles Manson was sending killers from the US (and other places) into their countries to commit random murders. Is Squeaky Fromm a member of the US military? Do they represent the US? What if Charley sends people to kill French troops in Chad? What parts of the Geneva Convention would apply to them?

The truth is that this is a situation probably unprecedented since the "Old Man of the Mountains" sent the "Assassins" (Hashishins) against the Mongols. The Mongols solved that problem and completely without the concepts of "collateral damage" or "disproportionality" in their lexicon.

Applying previous standards to these freaks is a losing proposition, ESPECIALLY treating them like POWs.

At BEST, they should be treated the way the Soviets treated SS men. They're not soldiers, but to treat them like car thieves or O.J. is as crazy as anything Al Qaeda says. They're out of uniform. SHOOT them within 72 hours unless they have some intelligence value. Then shoot THEM when that value is over.

This is an interesting conundrum. But lets be clear that these folks have been getting trials, but they ar military trials and they have not been particularly speedy in coming. As has been pointed out the GC does not actually cover these folks because they are not combatants as defined under the GC, but rather essentially detached armed combatants. They have never agreed to the GC protections either for themselves or others.

But they are still humans, and a large part of our cultural heritage is that we recognize that humans have rights and we value human life. As such it violates everything we stand for to ignore the rights of the Gitmo prisoners.

But they are not just street criminals. Just as there is no definition in the GC for these people, there is nothing in criminal or civil law in the US that covers armed combat outside the jurisdiction of the courts. SO if they are brought to US soil, on what charges would they be held? If there are no valid charges, then they must be released, If they are released, are we to release them onto the streets here? Many of the countries they came from have already told us they will not take them back. So are we to over fly those countries and just shove these guys out with a parachute? I think not.

It should not be lost in the discussion that there is already at least one case were one of these guys committed a terrorist bombing after being released.

I certainly support reaching some kind of end to this situation that is consistent with our values as a culture. It does not matter if the cultural values of these people is not in alignment with our own, what matters is what WE do. For me the issue at Gitmo was the torture, and the time it was taking to get these people to trial, not the type of trials (military or civilian).

The way to close the place is to get the trials finished, and process the people accordingly. But while they are awaiting trial, they should be afforded military rights. That might mean that we have to determine as a matter of military law that they are not guilty of any crime under military law due to the nature of the war itself. Our opposition in that war is a confederation of individuals, not an organized nation. So one would expect to find a lot of people without uniforms.
I was thinking about WITHOUT parachutes and we could do it over Conn. We could even give AWDstylezs a heads up ;).

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

marshaul wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Citation?

owned :lol:

No one remembers this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_American_internment

It was for safety folks, safety. Can't take any chances with those terrorits. Let's just lock up everyone in the country. Maximum safety.

MeBaby

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
marshaul wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Citation?

No one remembers this...

It was for safety folks, safety. Can't take any chances with those terrorits. Let's just lock up everyone in the country. Maximum safety.

We do remember. What I DON'T remember is all the Muslims being locked up after 911 by your most hated president, President Bush or tthe Congress.

What's your point?

HF stated an opinion. How do you "own" an opinion????

wrightme

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
marshaul wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Citation?

No one remembers this...

I do not see this as relevant to the current discussion. I do not agree in any way with the internment of Americans as in the linked case. They were citizens, and also in our country even if they weren't citizens. As such, they should have been treated properly under our laws and under the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. We, as a country, did not do such then.

In the case of Guantanamo, the case is not as cut and dried, as has been mentioned. Under the Geneva Convention, they are not considered Prisoners of War, since they are not soldiers of a country, nor were they likely presenting themselves as such. As such, they are not required to be treated as POWs. As they were not on US soil, they are technically not covered by the Constitution and BoR, nor by US laws, so they are not required to be treated according to the Constitution and BoR.

BUT, treating them as either:
a) POWs under the Geneva Convention
or
b) as if covered by the US Constitution and BoR and US laws

would be the right thing to do. It may not be the safest for our country and countrymen at home or abroad, but it would be the right thing to do.