• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So I had always heard Serpa's were good...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

tom357 wrote:
snip..........
If the the ND problem peculiar to the SERPA holsters was as common as its detractors would like everyone to believe, then Blackhawk would be out of business from paying damages in lawsuits. Instead, I see Blackhawk picking up LEA customers for its Level 2 and Level 3 holsters, with a huge number in use by LEA's, military, and individuals, worldwide. That doesn't sound like a product with a deadly flaw. JMO YMMV, of course.

- tom
Well said - Thank you.

Yata hey

tom357

imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
Before you use it for carry, try it out with an unloaded gun while under stress.
In Force-on-Force I've seen a few guys have an ND while drawing. The Serpa makes you put pressure on the trigger-guard area, where you should NEVER put pressure while drawing.
The round is highly likely to go into your leg at that point.
Again, try it while a couple of your friends are running at you. Make CERTAIN the gun is unloaded. I personally wouldn't even do that. I use an airsoft equivalent of my Glock 19.
Stay safe.

Good advice with any holster. There is a reason why there are so many makes and models on the market. Some people work better with one design than another.

I disagree with your statement about the SERPA making you put pressure on the trigger-guard area; it makes it sound like you've never used one. The portion of the Autolock mechanism that is located over the trigger guard area is the latch itself. The finger release portion of the Autolock mechanism is located well up on the frame, in line with the bottom of the slide. See the area circled in yellow in the attached photo.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Nice research Tom.

I saw a video one time about Serpa holsters that could be spun, thereby breaking away from the paddle. I believe that they were early holsters and the issue was corrected. I havent heard anything really bad about them. I tried one, tested it on the range and didnt like it. Everyone has to form their own opinion.

nova

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Nice research Tom.

I saw a video one time about Serpa holsters that could be spun, thereby breaking away from the paddle. I believe that they were early holsters and the issue was corrected. I havent heard anything really bad about them. I tried one, tested it on the range and didnt like it. Everyone has to form their own opinion.
Are you sure you aren't thinking of early Fobus holsters?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rv49aDzdgc

SERPA holsters seem very secure and rugged in their design, not to mention they're supposed to be made of a carbon fiber composite inside for extra strength. I hear some people have problems with the screws coming loose but I've never had that problem with any of mine.

ProShooter

imported post

nova wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Nice research Tom.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of early Fobus holsters?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rv49aDzdgc

SERPA holsters seem very secure and rugged in their design, not to mention they're supposed to be made of a carbon fiber composite inside for extra strength. I hear some people have problems with the screws coming loose but I've never had that problem with any of mine.

You may be correct. I'm not entirely sure.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Interesting thread on AR-15 HTF that talks about some of this -

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=24&t=363755
Same disinformation being posted there with the disclaimer that it has not happened "in John's class."

Try a Serpa yourself and see how very difficult it is to replicate the so called problem. One must draw very, very slowly and quickly & intentionally put one's finger on the trigger to stage this operator induced error.

I've often wondered if this bad press wasn't intoduced by a competitor of Blackhawk/Serpa.

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Same disinformation being posted there with the disclaimer that it has not happened "in John's class."

Try a Serpa yourself and see how very difficult it is to replicate the so called problem. One must draw very, very slowly and quickly & intentionally put one's finger on the trigger to stage this operator induced error.

I've often wondered if this bad press wasn't intoduced by a competitor of Blackhawk/Serpa.

Yata hey
Remind me to give you the holster tonight GS.

ProShooter

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Yata hey
I just thought it was interestingthat a similar thread started there that referenced the same stories...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Yata hey
I just thought it was interestingthat a similar thread started there that referenced the same stories...
Like the internet isn't infamous for repeating inaccurate information sooo often that it becomes accepted as gospel.

Not criticizing you, you are only the messenger. :p

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Yata hey
Like the internet isn't infamous for repeating inaccurate information sooo often that it becomes accepted as gospel.

Yata hey
I know at one well known and very good, custom pistolsmith, that firmly believes shooting jaketed bullets after shooting cast, bulges barrels.

When asked how many he had mic'ed with that problem, he admits he has never seen one but has heard stories....:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

nova

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Yata hey

Yata hey
I know at one well known and very good, custom pistolsmith, that firmly believes shooting jaketed bullets after shooting cast, bulges barrels.

When asked how many he had mic'ed with that problem, he admits he has never seen one but has heard stories....:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
I've done that before...I shot some of my lead .38 reloads, followed by a few full power 158gr JSP .357mag loads...my gun's just fine, no bulged barrel. I probably wouldn't want to make a habbit of it since I've heard the same stories though.

ufcfanvt

imported post

tom357 wrote:
ufcfanvt wrote:
Before you use it for carry, try it out with an unloaded gun while under stress.
In Force-on-Force I've seen a few guys have an ND while drawing. The Serpa makes you put pressure on the trigger-guard area, where you should NEVER put pressure while drawing.
The round is highly likely to go into your leg at that point.
Again, try it while a couple of your friends are running at you. Make CERTAIN the gun is unloaded. I personally wouldn't even do that. I use an airsoft equivalent of my Glock 19.
Stay safe.

Good advice with any holster. There is a reason why there are so many makes and models on the market. Some people work better with one design than another.

I disagree with your statement about the SERPA making you put pressure on the trigger-guard area; it makes it sound like you've never used one. The portion of the Autolock mechanism that is located over the trigger guard area is the latch itself. The finger release portion of the Autolock mechanism is located well up on the frame, in line with the bottom of the slide. See the area circled in yellow in the attached photo.
That IS the trigger-guard area. You do have to put pressure there. That's the problem. IF you only touched that small part, there's no issue, under STRESS your finger can easily slip down. I've seen it happen.
Stop attacking people who express opposing views. Just try it yourself, under stress and then proceed as you see fit.
OR eat your Cheetos on the couch, peel yourself off once every month and "test out" your cool holster at the climate-controlled range where you can barely move and there's no stress involved.
You pick.

nova

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
nova wrote: snip
peter nap wrote: snip
shooting jacketed bullets after shooting cast, bulges barrels.
I've done that before...
I probably wouldn't want to make a habit of it since I've heard the same stories though.
try these:
http://www.laser-cast.com/AboutLaserCast.html

even at 1300fps there is little to no leading.
Thanks for the link...I'll have to look into those. Right now I'm using in-state cast bullets I buy at the local range, under the name "mastercast".

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

nova wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
I've done that before...
I probably wouldn't want to make a habit of it since I've heard the same stories though.
try these:

Thanks for the link...I'll have to look into those. Right now I'm using in-state cast bullets I buy at the local range, under the name "mastercast".
Buy a die and join the rest of us Rednecks...BTW, I get 1535 out of the Ghettoblaster and 230 gr bullets.

nova

imported post

peter nap wrote:
nova wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
I've done that before...
try these:

Buy a die and join the rest of us Rednecks...BTW, I get 1535 out of the Ghettoblaster and 230 gr bullets.
I've thought about it but I don't have the room at this time. Easier for me to buy cast bullets in bulk right now :)

cREbralFIX

imported post

As popular as he was on the training/lecture circuit, it is little wonder that his internet posts got picked up and repeated in the manner of urban legend (you know - FOAF posts, "I heard", and claims referring to unnamed, unindentified accidents as fact rather than second/third/fourth-hand information). Four years later, the same incidents are still being presented, without citation, as first-hand accounts, or generalized as a widespread problem. I know of one well-known training school that banned SERPA holsters from its classes, PURELY, on the basis of Paul Gomez's postings, and not on their own experience.

If you're referring to my story, I am not parroting anything I saw on the Internet. A pebble did fall into my SERPA holster's locking mechanism while in a gun class at Quantico. It worked fine up until the groundwork section of the course. I had a SA 1911 Loaded with one in the chamber that I could not remove from the holster. The pebble was bean shaped and approximately 1/8" in size. Fortunately, I had some toothpicks in my cleaning kit, so I was able to remove it.

However, in inspecting Grapeshot's holster, while I may be misremembering, it appears they closed up the design a bit. It's probably resistant to that particular problem. If I were handed a SERPA, I would do some testing prior to carry.

Either way, I DO have a problem with using the index finger for something other than working the trigger. Yes...it's probably safe with training just like any other holster. But, when things start to fall apart, I don't feel comfortable with them around.

It's the same with those little adjustor thingies that you see on the bottom edges of jackets nowadays. I was at a different fun class and WATCHED a guy stuff his gun into his holster. Unfortunately, that plastic adjustor thingie got tied up in the trigger guard. When he gave a final push....BANG! He shot a nice hole in his pants into the dirt two feet behind him. Now I cut those off every jacket I own.

Incidents like that make me really think about holsters and holster design.

cREbralFIX

imported post

+1000gazillion on Laser-Cast bullets! I shot about 2k through my SIG 220 prior to switching to FMJ. Leading was minimal...and I could have eliminated it with a few adjustments to the powder charge. Their sales staff was extremely helpful to me (this was around 1997 when I was a new reloader).