• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Some Walmarts refusing to sell ammo on 3rd shift.

Daylen

It also boils down to a simple fact that on certain shifts at WM there are not competent employees in the sporting goods department. I encountered this once when trying to buy some rounds to take to the range. The dude didn't know a .22LR from a 9mm. Slight exaggeration but you get my point.

So walmart can't afford basic reading skills? Its not like the packages are unmarked or the ammo comes in a big bin as nails do and one has to scoop them out into a brown bag, weight them and know what the bullets look like.

.40S&W

So walmart can't afford basic reading skills? Its not like the packages are unmarked or the ammo comes in a big bin as nails do and one has to scoop them out into a brown bag, weight them and know what the bullets look like.

I don't know. I didn't hire the dude.

Jack House

This is a straw man argument. Nobody in this thread has advocated for the government to force walmart to sell ammo 24/7. That would be ludicrous. What is being suggested is that when a corporate entity has underlings pulling policies out of their individual butts, that sometimes a complaint to the right person will correct the behavior of said underlings.
Exactly.

Some folks seem to have had no success moving up the food chain. And yet they still want the issue "resolved". How do you suppose that would occur, in light of the fact that Walmart allows its managers to set whatever policies they please?
Of course they do! Wanting it to be resolved is not the same as wanting it to be resolved by enacting statutes forcing Wal-Mart to do anything.

JeepSeller

Wow, some of you really do read only what you choose to read, regardless of what's actually written. Looking for a fight that just isn't there. I never said anyone was wishing for government interaction of any sort.

My point is simple. You can whine, you can cry, you can stamp your feet, you can bark up the food chain of WalMart all you like. In the end, if they choose to NOT sell ammo during certain hours, that is their right. And, while that might foul up our plans from time to time, (such as buying ammo at 4:00AM) I for one, support that right as much as I do any other right we hold dear.

For, the alternative is something we just don't want.

Please, don't read into my comments. I was merely making discussion. I'm hardly smart enough to hide any kind of agendas within there, trust me. LOL

PistolPackingMomma

Wow, some of you really do read only what you choose to read, regardless of what's actually written. Looking for a fight that just isn't there. I never said anyone was wishing for government interaction of any sort.

My point is simple. You can whine, you can cry, you can stamp your feet, you can bark up the food chain of WalMart all you like. In the end, if they choose to NOT sell ammo during certain hours, that is their right.

The issue here is that managers are making up policies that are NOT representative of corporate. They do not have the right to do so. Corporate has the right to set whatever policies they wish, but store managers may not make up whatever policy they want on a whim. That's what people are pointing out.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
The issue here is that managers are making up policies that are NOT representative of corporate. They do not have the right to do so. Corporate has the right to set whatever policies they wish, but store managers may not make up whatever policy they want on a whim. That's what people are pointing out.

Actually, that's up to corporate to decide, and in the absence of a strong policy against such store-manager-whim-inspired rule making, it's safe to say the decision does indeed lie with the store managers.

OC for ME

We need a new badge....'Corporate Policy Police Officer'. Constantly on the lookout for folks who flaunt corporate policy. Or, just make up corporate policy. Violators would be subject to fines and/or imprisonment for interfering in the shopping preferences of John/Jane-Q-Public.

Don't know what it should look like, but a few folks around here would be the first in line to be issued one.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Don't know what it should look like, but a few folks around here would be the first in line to be issued one.

I think it should look just like one of these:

K18C252G.gif

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
We need a new badge....'Corporate Policy Police Officer'. Constantly on the lookout for folks who flaunt corporate policy. Or, just make up corporate policy. Violators would be subject to fines and/or imprisonment for interfering in the shopping preferences of John/Jane-Q-Public.

Then do EXACTLY the same when someone who you damn well know does not have the authority to kick you out of walmart, does exactly that when you are open carrying. Just shut up and do what your told. And damn sure don't complain to anyone.

And don't complain to an officer's superiors when that officer prones you out in the mud just because you are open carrying in a state where it is legal. Obviously, you seem to think that it's verboten not to complain if someone pulls a policy out of their butt, even when you know what the real policy actually is.

Baaaaaaaaaaa!

Sky1

Was that on a Wednesday? Because that would make all the difference. I think it happened on a Wednesday. Yeah I agree with them, they should not sell ammo on Wednesdays.

I bought some spoiled milk one Sunday, so I am not buying milk at Walmart on Sundays either.

Last edited:

The Wolfhound

It has been posted....

That the wal-Mart employees on 3rd shift would not know the laws about age and such for legal ammunition sales. Everytime I purchase ammo the register prompts the cashier (at every register, not just the sporting goods dept.) for age verifiacation, same as for alcohol and cigarettes. 18 for rifle and shotgun and 21 for handgun ammo. Good luck explaning that you want .45ACP for your carbine, if under 21 but over 18. Yeah, I know it is legal, but achieving understanding from the clerk might take longer than waiting for that 21st birthday. When you are at the respected age of an old fart, such as myself, it is never much of an issue: "yes, I actually am over 21, thank you for asking" and off I go with my WWB .45acp.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Then do EXACTLY the same when someone who you damn well know does not have the authority to kick you out of walmart, does exactly that when you are open carrying. Just shut up and do what your told. And damn sure don't complain to anyone.

And don't complain to an officer's superiors when that officer prones you out in the mud just because you are open carrying in a state where it is legal. Obviously, you seem to think that it's verboten not to complain if someone pulls a policy out of their butt, even when you know what the real policy actually is.

Baaaaaaaaaaa!

Far be it for me to speak for another but...

This thread is boring. I'm about to unsubscribe as it happens.

This issue comes up from time to time. Nothing ever changes. Most Walmarts sell ammo at night; some don't. Big whoop.

Complain all you want. It isn't a matter of law or rights (except possibly Walmart's rights to set whatever policy they please). Your attempt to conflate the issues is transparent. And since when can a person with "no authority" trespass anybody out of anywhere?

OC for ME

Don't know about OK, but here in MO, folks who represent a business (the employee) has the authority to ask anyone to leave. Does not mean that their boss gave them the authority, just that the law does not state differentiate between the 'almost manager' and the 'real manager'.

I'll just buy when the selling is going on.

KBCraig

That the wal-Mart employees on 3rd shift would not know the laws about age and such for legal ammunition sales. Everytime I purchase ammo the register prompts the cashier (at every register, not just the sporting goods dept.) for age verifiacation, same as for alcohol and cigarettes. 18 for rifle and shotgun and 21 for handgun ammo. Good luck explaning that you want .45ACP for your carbine, if under 21 but over 18.

You don't have to explain anything. Doing so would do no good. All the clerk knows, and all you need to answer, are the prompts on the register: Is the customer over 18? Is the ammo for a rifle or a handgun? If a handgun, is the customer over 21?

ALOC1911

Wal-mart has no official policy on firearms, and this is why you can carry in their stores if the law allows you to carry. however, walmart is a private business, and corporate gives management authority on a case by case basis to ask people to leave if they are wearing a firearm, or ban firearms in the store they control.

Others anD myself have emailed corporate on this issue, and we receive the same message back, saying exactly what I have just said above.

Must be a KY thing then becuase when AL people email walmart they get one back saying walmart's policy on customers carrying firearms in their stores for personal protection is their policy is to follow the state law pertaining to that issue in that state and if you've had a problem with a walmart in AL they will advise the management that it is legal for you to OC or CC in their store and to allow you to do so. There have been a few people that have had problems in walmarts around AL but a call or email to corp headquarters is all it takes to get the problem resolved. Oh and local management will not be given authority to disallow cusomers carrying in their store over what corp says at least they haven't so far in AL anyway. I can cite a few people that have had this problem and got it fixed by contacting corp headquarters within a day or two.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Thats

Actually, what they have emailed to me, is their 'policy' is to follow state/local laws. The discretion of the manager is if they interpret your actions to be disruptive, then they will request your departure. This is the out the manager has when asking a OCer to leave; you were causing a disruption! :banghead: They, the store manager, cannot ban firearms, unless the state/local laws allow it. WM policy is to 'follow' state/local laws and if the laws allow, they cannot prohibit. If they do, contact HQ; it will be corrected.

So you imply wal-mart does have an official policy that says carry is allowed if state law allows carry? Can you please tell me where I can find this information on their policy page on their official website? Or why corporate told me they "have no official policy on the carrying of firearms."? There is nothing in wal-Mart policy that says you can or can't carry. The reason we can carry is for that very reason, because they have nothing that officially says carry is banned. It's just like a law. If there's a law that says carry is prohibited, then we know we can't carry. If there is no laW that prohibits you from carrying, then we know we CAN carry, because nothing is telling us we can't.

You say a store can't ban firearms unless state law allows it??!? So they can't ban people from walking around naked unless state law allows?, or can't stop people from smoking in their store unless state law allows? So you can't ban people from coming in your home doing something you don't like unless state law allows right? You ever heard of private-property rights? You do realize wal-Mart is private property, and they can ban anything they d&mn well wish. It doesn't matte what state or local law says, if they don't want folks carrying guns in there stores, that is their god given right to ban them from entering.

ALOC1911

It also boils down to a simple fact that on certain shifts at WM there are not competent employees in the sporting goods department. I encountered this once when trying to buy some rounds to take to the range. The dude didn't know a .22LR from a 9mm. Slight exaggeration but you get my point.

Everything at walmart is set up to accomplished by incompetent employees thus the prompts on the registers for the sale of restricted items such as alcohol, tabacco or firearms and ammo. They don't want to have to hire competent employees. That would mean paying them more.

ALOC1911

My point is simple. You can whine, you can cry, you can stamp your feet, you can bark up the food chain of WalMart all you like. In the end, if they choose to NOT sell ammo during certain hours, that is their right. And, while that might foul up our plans from time to time, (such as buying ammo at 4:00AM) I for one, support that right as much as I do any other right we hold dear.

The point some here are trying to make is yes it's walmart's right to not sell ammo except during certain hrs but not the manager's right to make that a store policy when corp HQ says otherwise. In most cases all it takes is a call or email to corp HQ to get them to "say otherwise".

ALOC1911

Actually, that's up to corporate to decide, and in the absence of a strong policy against such store-manager-whim-inspired rule making, it's safe to say the decision does indeed lie with the store managers.

Until you call corp HQ and they say otherwise. Then said manager will sell you what you want, provided you are legal to make the purchase, with a nice frown.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Ing

Must be a KY thing then becuase when AL people email walmart they get one back saying walmart's policy on customers carrying firearms in their stores for personal protection is their policy is to follow the state law pertaining to that issue in that state and if you've had a problem with a walmart in AL they will advise the management that it is legal for you to OC or CC in their store and to allow you to do so. There have been a few people that have had problems in walmarts around AL but a call or email to corp headquarters is all it takes to get the problem resolved. Oh and local management will not be given authority to disallow cusomers carrying in their store over what corp says at least they haven't so far in AL anyway. I can cite a few people that have had this problem and got it fixed by contacting corp headquarters within a day or two.

Walmart has no official policy!! If there is nothing that band carry, then you can carry!!! I do not believe it's a Ky thing either, I'm fairly certain there is only one corporate headquarters, and it's who we all speak with. I'm doing my best to get into contact with the president, and have him respond with an official letterhead, so I can paste it here and put this to rest. You think wal-mart being private property doesn't allow them to ban carry on their own property. Or ask people to leave, which I know for sure management has the authority to do if they want. I will post a response as soon as I get one. But let me say it one more time just in case I'm too fast for ya.

Wal-mart has no official policy on the carrying of firearms.

Just like these mangers refusing to sell ammo after 10pm! I guess bring a manager and all, they don't have the right to do that either!?!? Our rights our more important than wal-marts private property rights is what you are saying. If that's what you believe, then you do not truly believe in freedom!

I can't stand wal-Mart, or what they stand for, so don't go thinking I'm taking up for them, I'm simply trying to express Yhat they have. Right to ban whatever they want in their stores, just like we have the right to shop elsewhere....."if you can find somewhere walmart hasn't put out of business.