• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Sound OC Report........

SeattleWingsfan

OC'ing at Walmart yesterday, I wouldn't post as it was uneventful for our purposes of this thread. But I wanted to share.

I was in the toy isle and saw a guy with two little kids buying toy guns for his kids. I saw a lady looking at him and said something under her breathe. I couldn't quite make it out. But I said rather loudly how I thought it was good that he was teaching his kids at such a young age about proper gun handling. He was telling them as they picked them up and put them in the cart to keep their fingers off the triggers. How friggin awesome... He said after the last school shooting he was tired of people saying we need less guns. We need proper training and more active people taking action when a friend or family member starts to act questionable or makes us uneasy. I agreed and said I am tired of hearing news stories about how we need more gun control so mentally ill people can't buy a firearm. There is laws. What we need is action to be taken before it gets to that point. And just like news people and the misinformed people they interview saying they support 2nd amendment rights but not the ownership of weapons used in war, because we are turning our country into a war zone because of it... I'd love to walk into a walmart and buy a m-16. But you can't. Why do more people not call out these one sided misinformed news outlets?

there was just a shooting again just a bit ago in Cali. no one hurt, no motive, WTH?

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Went to watch my daughter scrimmage for roller derby at the Centralia Rollerdome tonight. After the bout we stopped at Burger Ville for dinner. Three of the other derby girls stopped in a few minutes after us and asked if they could sit with us. One of the girls asks if I am the "guy with the gun?" Yes. "You've got balls, but good balls!" Causing everybody to giggle. Overall another good non-event.

Munkey Butt

Went to watch my daughter scrimmage for roller derby at the Centralia Rollerdome tonight. After the bout we stopped at Burger Ville for dinner. Three of the other derby girls stopped in a few minutes after us and asked if they could sit with us. One of the girls asks if I am the "guy with the gun?" Yes. "You've got balls, but good balls!" Causing everybody to giggle. Overall another good non-event.

Dang you were in my neck of the hood! Did you happen to catch any of the Lighted Tractor Parade?

Grim_Night

I too was at Wallyworld yesterday picking up a few things to finish up my emergency backpack. While in the grocery portion of the store, a gentleman noticed that I was open carrying and asked me if they (walmart employees) knew I was carrying. I told him yes and that this was an open carry state and that it was perfectly legal. He thanked me for the info and then thanked me again for carrying then commented on how more people should carry for defense in light of recent issues in our country. I felt good. I got to the checkout line and the lady at the register who also noticed me carrying told me that she told her husband that he needed to pick up some ammo and such soon before they (the government) start making things more difficult.

Munkey Butt

I too was at Wallyworld yesterday picking up a few things to finish up my emergency backpack. While in the grocery portion of the store, a gentleman noticed that I was open carrying and asked me if they (walmart employees) knew I was carrying. I told him yes and that this was an open carry state and that it was perfectly legal. He thanked me for the info and then thanked me again for carrying then commented on how more people should carry for defense in light of recent issues in our country. I felt good. I got to the checkout line and the lady at the register who also noticed me carrying told me that she told her husband that he needed to pick up some ammo and such soon before they (the government) start making things more difficult.

I've had good interactions at walmart with curious people. Most thinking i'm either a police officer, or a bounty hunter.

and my coworkers were telling me that i need to stock up on 5.56/.223 because its going to become hard to find....but I've got good connections.

PJ

compmanio365

OC'd at Walmart last night finishing up Christmas shopping......no issues, but I had a lady in line behind me take a picture of me carrying my 1911. When I turned around just as the flash went off on her phone you could tell she was trying to be sneaky about it. Oh well....I'm probably on somebody's Facebook page now LOL. "Look at this crazy guy carrying a scary gun!" She didn't say anything to me so I didn't talk to her....just smiled and went back to unloading my cart.

aa1911

OC'ed around Tacoma yesterday, went to Flaming Dragon tattoo to get our rings tattooed on (end of the world was also my wedding anniversary), Fred Meyer on 74th street - had a manager follow me for a bit but didn't approach. Grabbed some food, and hit a few other places up, overall a neutral/no issue day. Out and about again today, had to stop by Toyota on south taco way to reprogram a new key fob, spent about an hour or so in there, had some very nice conversation with both the staff and other customers. A few strange looks but nothing said or out of the ordinary. One guy at the tattoo shop said he didn't see people OC much, he noticed my gun as soon as I walked in and looked me up and down hard; I didn't get a chance to tell him about the OCDO forum but he seemed like he was aware of OC and knew the deal, very friendly.

Went out and barhopped on hilltop and 6th ave, had to leave the pistola at the hotel, bummer. Ironic, the most likely time I would need it, I have to remove it! blah...

hotel breakfast, had a guy and his wife ask where I got my holster, had a short and pleasant conversation about OC and holsters, everyone seemed very aware of my Glock while we were getting our grub but no other comments.

Wife drug me into Joanne fabrics on the way home also, no issues there other than some strange looks. Was hoping nobody would be freaking out after CT shooting, so far all seems normal as usual.

Did some last minute grocery shopping around Yelm, no issues as usual. Got 30 cents off a gallon at safeway, woo hoo! needed 20 gallons to fill the beast, ouch.

hrlysef

Banned
Maple Valley Four Corners area: Pink Elephant for oil change, McDonalds for breakfast sandwich while I waited, Les Schwab for tire quotes, Freddies and Pet Pros, no one said anything.

A new pho place for lunch and Freddies in Covington, no one said anything

Stopped by Wholesale Sports in Fed Way for boots, same deal, no one said a thing.

Apparently rampant paranoia hasn't hit this part of King County yet...

LJennings

Carried around Olympia, Trader Joe's, walked the water front with no issues. But then again there's a lot of people with cameras out when its not raining.. Who knows i might show up on a meme somewheres.

aa1911

OC'ed around Oly today with the family and sister's family, no issues at all. Went to Priest Point park and walked around for a while checking the views out and then went to the seafood market to grab some yum yums for dinner. Stopped by the Bread Peddler and grabbed some shtuff....

quiet sunday...

DamonK

Well, it's not south sound, but I'm not sure what renton would be considered. Anyways, I took my daughter for her princess dinner to her new favorite mexican place(she's 3 and loves the mini corndogs). Got a couple glances, but I guess when you're wearing a suit and have a 3 year old dressed like Snow White folks don't really see you as a threat...

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Grim_Night

Here's an interesting one... was carrying concealed under my coat at the tacoma DSHS office and accidentally exposed the butt of my gun in my shoulder holster while fishing through my wallet in my pants pocket. Was told that it was a federal crime to carry in a state building. I corrected the person and agreed to leave. Just got off the phone with this person and she admitted that she was wrong and that it's not a crime but it seems that the state rents the property from a private owner and the private owner does not want weapons on the property. Not exactly sure how to take this other then to laugh, shake my head and roll my eyes.

Whitney

Confused

Here's an interesting one... was carrying concealed under my coat at the tacoma DSHS office and accidentally exposed the butt of my gun in my shoulder holster while fishing through my wallet in my pants pocket. Was told that it was a federal crime to carry in a state building. I corrected the person and agreed to leave. Just got off the phone with this person and she admitted that she was wrong and that it's not a crime but it seems that the state rents the property from a private owner and the private owner does not want weapons on the property. Not exactly sure how to take this other then to laugh, shake my head and roll my eyes.

She admitted she was wrong after you educated her? or after stating you were committing a Federal Crime knowing she was wrong, admitting the same after you called her?

~Whitney

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Went to Lacey Auto Body on Devoe to clean out my totaled truck, no issues again. At the Lacey Walmart a couple of guys were admiring my 1911, and said they liked the grips (US Army laser etched wood). While waiting in the return line (to return a bunch of stuff I got to put on the truck that just got totaled) a lady behind me was looking so hard even tilting her head sideways. She said nice grips, and something to the effect of I wish I could carry one. I said if you're over 21, and not a felon you can. She replied I'm over 21, but ..... I'm a felon. Nice conversation anyway.

Grim_Night

She admitted she was wrong after you educated her? or after stating you were committing a Federal Crime knowing she was wrong, admitting the same after you called her?

~Whitney

At the time of the incident she told me that it was against the law because it was a government building and said it was a federal crime. I corrected her but she did not want to listen. She later found out that she was greatly mistaken and called me to tell me that it in fact was not again st the law but that the property owners who lease to the state don't want weapons on the property or in the building.

LkWd_Don

At the time of the incident she told me that it was against the law because it was a government building and said it was a federal crime. I corrected her but she did not want to listen. She later found out that she was greatly mistaken and called me to tell me that it in fact was not again st the law but that the property owners who lease to the state don't want weapons on the property or in the building.

That is probably another false statement. The lease agreement should be obtainable under the FOIA.

I have heard that excuse before, have shown in other cases that it was erroneous. I would be highly surprised if there was a weapons prohibition clause in a lease agreement between DSHS and any Landlord, as it would possibly even prevent LEO's from entering armed.

Munkey Butt

Ran around oly/lacey area places including Walmart and cabelas, no issues. Then off to J&S Guns no looks. Also firemasters firearms in Cinnabar, door on the sign said guns must be unboxed, unloaded, and actions opened. Confused I unholstered and locked my piece in the glovebox. After cleaning them out of 5.56/.223 I ment to ask about the sign but forgot and as I'm openig the door the gunsmith says "btw your welcome to carry in the store if it stays holstered". Love the guys there and great prices and availability.

Then the Fiance and I stopped at Starbucks in chehalis by the Walmart, got a ton of dirty looks from a table of old folks both male and female. I just gave them a smile and went on with my business. Then off to get a hair cut, overheard a gentleman talking to another saying something like " he's got a pistol on his hip". All in all good times. So far 6 months since I started carrying and no issues to date.

TechnoWeenie

@ Winco in Tacoma.

Guy was in front of me with a cart of groceries that had the top and lower 'cargo' area filled, into the checkout area, took all the groceries off the top, LEFT the stuff on the bottom (after watching him look at it a bunch of times), then watched him as he put up the divider on the conveyor. He kept his cart at the end of the belt, presumably to make it so that the cashier couldn't see the bottom of the cart.

At this time, his purchases were almost finished being rung up, sans the **** on the bottom that he never put up there. He told me to put my stuff on the conveyor, and I politely informed him that his cart was in the way. By putting my stuff on the conveyor, I would assume the cashier would start ringing my stuff out, and not pay attention to the stuff on the bottom of his cart he was planning on stealing.

Well, he hesitates to move his cart, and I tell him again, very politely, that his cart is in the way, at which time the cashier peeks over the counter to see what was going on, and notices that the bottom of the cart is full of stuff... Guy sees the cashier, takes ONE item off the bottom of the cart, then takes the rest of the stuff off the bottom and puts it on the closed counter adjacent to us, then moves the cart.

The guy is obviously upset, remarking almost under his breath. 'There, it's out of your way, happy?'. I was keeping an eye on him, maintaining a standard defensive posture, but otherwise ignoring his comments. He kept trying to start an altercation, making snide remarks, acting very agitated/upset, with short quick movements. When he noticed my firearm, he said something to the effect of 'I'm not gonna take **** from no one, especially from some guy shoving a gun in my face', now, keep in mind, I had said nothing to him except 'Excuse me sir, your cart is in the way', nor had I made any other actions, still maintaining a defensive posture.

As I finish paying, and pass him to get my items, he continues his attempt to elicit a response, adding 'Am I still in your way? Do you need me to move?', in a very aggressive manner. I ignored it, and continued to bag my groceries while maintaining a visual link at all times.

Eventually, I finished bagging my stuff, and walked out, again , with him attempting to start an altercation, by yelling 'Have a nice day!', again, in a very passive-aggressive manner.

Guy tries to steal.
Guy gets caught attempting to steal.
Guy wants to pick fight with man who stopped him.
Guy STILL wants to pick fight with man who stopped him, after he realizes the man is armed.

Any way... Point being...........

Things could've gone downhill QUICKLY, if let escalate.

When you're carrying, you're an idiot, a ******, an *******, or whatever else the other guy wants you to be. It takes a bigger/wiser man to avoid the confrontation, than 'be right'. I could've absolutely put him in his place, called him out on his attempted theft, and probably ended up in a physical altercation. Yes, I would've been right, but it's not worth it.

If some guy wants to talk **** to you, let him. As much as I wanted to call this guy out, I restrained myself from doing so, to let the situation die. By responding to a verbal challenge or insult, even to defend yourself, you can only make the situation worse. It takes two to tango, let him argue with himself.

Last edited: