• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Sound OC Report........

Just Us

Top Foods should be dialed in. Ron Bashaw (Store Manager) is very much aware that OC is legal. I used to work in the store as a distributor and would show up after work OC. That store is fine.

Shari's has asked me to cover up and stated they are anti. I was, however, excited to hear you got no reaction at that location. Mayhpas they are turning over a new leaf. Thanks for posting!

I took my two boys into the Sharis which may have made a difference.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
At the WAC show this weekend....

190755_1306245672724_1728023493_571843_8171796_n.jpg

Gogodawgs, I was under the impression you cannot travel w/weapon on a ferry. This is obviosly incorrect.

M1Gunr and I met the Fleet Safety Officer for the WSF system. He agrees with us that it is legal to carry open or concealed on the ferries. He stated that if we had any problem to have the ferry worker call him and he would straighten it out.

ferryofficer.jpg

Last edited:

jt59

Boa

Bank of America on South Tacoma Way and 56th (+/-)

Right at closing time, standing in line watching two of the three tellers counting cash and closing out their windows behind the bullet proof glass (this is a rough neighborhood). Was standing in line OC, and one of the tellers, with an arm full of cash (literally), exited the secured and protected area and walked 15 feet to the big walk in wall safe to put away her money....I thought, gee....that seems like an unnessesary exposure and breach of security protocal...she had to have at least 10G, cradeled in her arms.

Astounding....but, no comments or issues on the OC.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
In the last week I have been to
1. All the usual places, lowes, goodwill, kmart, haggens, costcutter, Post office(left the 82 in the car and wore just holster), wonderful buffet, some mexican resturaunt. Everyone is used to me I guess.

2. The Bellingham International Airport. Had to pick up Mum-in-law and Sweet Baboo. I walked over to the check in counter to ask when the flight was due, no notice. Same in the rest of the place. Nada

amlevin

Beat me to it. Nick that was the main question, I am assuming it was meant we can without CPL. But can you clarify?

I don't see any difference in requirements to carry on or along a highway in this state. Don't need to have a CPL for open carry if you're walking along the road. Same for being on that "part of the highway system" if you are a walk on passenger. The statement is used frequently in government communications so that should be ones defense if cited.

If carrying loaded in a vehicle when getting on the ferry, then the automobile rules apply.

amlevin

Beat me to it. Nick that was the main question, I am assuming it was meant we can without CPL. But can you clarify?

I don't see any difference in requirements to carry on or along a highway in this state. Don't need to have a CPL for open carry if you're walking along the road. Same for being on that "part of the highway system" if you are a walk on passenger. The statement is used frequently in government communications so that should be ones defense if cited for carrying as a foot passenger.

If carrying loaded in a vehicle when getting on the ferry, then the automobile rules apply.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

I did not ask him that directly, it is not his place to determine whether you are carrying in a 'legal' manner. Only that carry is legal. I do not believe that the ferry employees have any right to demand a CPL for carry regardless of the interpretation of the ferry as a vehicle or not. That being said, I believe that only the WSP could demand your CPL as a walk on passenger.

sudden valley gunner

I don't see any difference in requirements to carry on or along a highway in this state. Don't need to have a CPL for open carry if you're walking along the road. Same for being on that "part of the highway system" if you are a walk on passenger. The statement is used frequently in government communications so that should be ones defense if cited for carrying as a foot passenger.

I agree and think the same I can walk on "sterile" carry in my belief was curious if Nick had asked specifically since there was some debate here.

I did not ask him that directly, it is not his place to determine whether you are carrying in a 'legal' manner. Only that carry is legal. I do not believe that the ferry employees have any right to demand a CPL for carry regardless of the interpretation of the ferry as a vehicle or not. That being said, I believe that only the WSP could demand your CPL as a walk on passenger.

Understood, thanks for the post.

massivedesign

Olympia Toys R Us of all places. had to return a bike. Busy store since it is in the process of remodel.

Not a word and it was seen. No babies were harmed in the making of this experience.

Last edited:

Bobarino

I've been OC'ing more lately and frequent the Safeway and Fred Meyer on 336th and 21st since it's on my way home. I've gotten a few double takes but nary a word has been said.

I went to Lowe's on 360th and Enchanted Pkwy last night to get a new Maul and some grape plants and all was fine. I checked out in the garden center and started towards my car when I saw two Federal Way PD cars entering the lot. I paused as the first one drove by and crossed between it and the second squad car. I really thought someone had called in a MWAG call and I was going to have my first police encounter. I was wrong. They both drove by and proceeded to peacefully contact a gentleman in the parking lot over something else. Both saw my sidearm and didn't even bat and eye. I was pleasantly surprised. Kudo's to FWPD for knowing the law.

Ajetpilot

Walking down a street in Gig Harbor today, patrol car passed and LEO noticed my Kimber. He turned around and came back to look again, but never stopped. Maybe I was his first OCer, and he's no longer a virgin. ;) All quiet, as it should be.

amzbrady

YAY, Sounds like you guys are having some great non eventful days openly carrying. Thats the way it should be. It is good to post the good days so people see that our world is not full of harrasment on a daily basis. It would be awesome to see about another 100,000 people sign up to OCDO and make it so it is more normal to have a firearm strapped to your ass than not.

jt59

Friday:

BOA- South Tacoma Way & 56th

Wells Fargo - Bridgeport and 29th (about).

Spaghetti Factory - Downtown Tacoma (new OC place for me....its very, very busy here)

REI - I-5 & 38th

Last edited:

jt59

Hello All. thanks for this site.
I am an adult student (47) at TESC (evergreen). In a critical reasoning program.
Doing a "critical exchange presentation". 4 people, 2 pro and 2 con, with rebuttals. Topic, "Should concealed carry be allowed on TESC's campus by valid CPL holders?"
I have surfed plenty and gathered most of the arguments for both opinions.
I am looking for any non standard angles/arguments. Any input would be great.

Also any thoughts on the validity of baning firearms on school campuses (college and university) in Washington State? I believe it would not stand a court challenge due to existing case law.

Peace

Oh ya,
I started firearms training when I was 3, thanks to my granddad, Wally Miles. RIP

This is principally a discussion forum for OC not CC. This thread is specific to OC in the South Sound.

If you would like to make an effort to solicit a response to your question, you should start a new thread and see who's interested.

If this is the program that you are involved in: It does not appear to approach the issues discussed on the OC site in any meaningful way, other than being a point of controversy to train (four) people in critical thinking debate skills, not resolution as stated.

http://academic.evergreen.edu/curricular/problems/syllabus.htm

Last edited:

jt59

Olympia:

Cabella's -

Hawks Prairie shopping mall: Best Buy, Lowe's

Tacoma: STac Wy: Grocery Outlet (56th), Starbucks for a pound of ground #4...no comments here, but everyone was holding my 20's up to the light...when I asked, they said, we get a lot of Andy Jackson "poser's" in this neighborhood.