• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Sound OC Report........

Just Us

Looking to the past week.

Last weekend to Great Clips and as I was paying the older gal (that cut my hair in the past) asked if I had a permit for the gun. I mentioned I didn't need one to OC, the other gal beside her stepped in and agreed with me.

Wednesday to Baskins Ribbons on a warm evening with fifteen or so people in and out, some that stuck around. The employee, young guy, commented that he has seen cops and another category but has never seen a person in my line of work carrying a sidearm. After the boys and I finished up, stay for about 10 more minutes and talked, showed him multiple pictures, and past along a couple pamphlets. Then off to Little Ceasers.

Friday @ Little Ceasers

Saturday helping friends move, portland ave and 512 gas station, deli & gas station @ canyon - 160th, hwy 16 & sedgewick texaco and had about a 5 minute discussion with alittle on what I had plus the rest on trucks.

jt59

Tacoma

Safeway - 72nd/Portland: A little shopping, as I went in an older couple were hitting the door at the same time. "Good afternoon, Officer"..says the gentleman.

"I am not an officer" says I. Later we ended up in line at the checkout together...and the lady, bent over and whispered, hand covering her mouth..."I didn't know it was legal to carry that way". I leaned back " You don't have to whisper, it's legal"

Great conversation with them after, gave the husband one of the OC brocheres'...

Ruby

My First Unicorn!

I saw my first unicorn (other than you guys) today. I was working at Lowe's and it was later in the evening, things had slowed down (thank God!) when a young man and his SO walked by my register toward the exit. I noticed the gun immediately(first one I have seen since I started working there)and talked to him. He was delighted to hear about OCDO and the monthly meet and greets. Told him a little about the forum and who I was and it sounded like he would check it out, I hope so. Unfortunately, I didn't have any pamphlets with me and wouldn't be able to hand them to anyone in Lowe's anyway. Made me happy to see him carrying in Lowe's.

Ruby

A couple of things to report. I was cleaning a house in White Center today, CC as usual in my customer's house. (She wasn't home.) I caught the 120 bus to go back to Burien Transit Center. Somewhere along the way, on 116th or Ambaum, there was crime scene tape and a sheriff's car. A couple that got on the bus said a woman had been shot in the chest and had gone to a 7-11 for help. They did not know where in the neighborhood she had been shot and the shooter was not apprehended. Then, a few minutes after I got to the Burien Transit Center I saw a young woman start hitting a much smaller young woman. She hit her 3 or 4 times till she knocked her to the ground. It was witnessed by everyone there. The one on the ground got up, didn't appear to be hurt and walked away. A few minutes later, two King County Sheriff's vehicles show up, but they didn't even get out of their cars. They were at one end of the transit station and the attacker was at the other. When she saw them she and her girlfriend walked away from the transit center. I don't think the deputies even saw her. Evidently someone called 911. If the attacker had continued to assault the one on the ground, I would have intervened. If I were being attacked with no means of self defense, I would want someone to intervene on my behalf. I would have used my pepper spray first and drawn my gun as a last resort. I will not stand by and do nothing and see someone get the **** beat out of them, that's just not in my nature. Fortunately for everyone, the attack stopped after the woman was on the ground. Things sure are getting dicey out there!:uhoh:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Ran a few errands today -

Bank of America 72nd & Pacific no issues

Cabelas where I met a former Stryker soldier with his family who was curious about my open carry. He knew about OC but CC's because of the wide-eyed stares. I gave him a card and invited him to the site and told him about all the family BBQ's we have as well as Willow Lake. Hope to see him on board soon.

Applebee's at 72nd & I-5 where I talked to the manager about his TV video issues. No issue with OC at that location.

jt59

Starbucks on 72nd and I-5 - An older lady (58ish), got up from her table and walked over to get some cream from the little service station. As she walked by me, she leaned over and whispered "I like your gun". ....Not sure exactly what to do with that, so I just smiled and said thanks, got my coffee and left.

BOA on South Tacoma Way and S of 56th - in line with about 12 people, waiting.....no comments.

Wells Fargo - Bridgeport and 29th +/-...no issues here at all.

BECU - Bridgeport and 40th, by the Albertsons...no issues

Big Bank day

Heading out tomorrow on a weekend MC ride to Portland and back and plan to OC the full size 1911 45 Stainless to match the chrome on the Rd King...should be interesting to see what, if anything happens on the highway and 5-6 counties....hope it will be a NE

Last edited:

Just Us

6-4-11

Walmart in puyallup
Point Defiant Zoo (a few bug eyes, that's it) About 3 hours
Ram in puyallup across from the south hill mall

sirpuma

Mt. St. Helens

Today we went to Mt. St. Helens. I OCed in my kilt and other than a few funny looks because of my kilt, nothing was said. I stopped at the entrance to the Johnston Ridge Observatory and noticed their no firearm sign. Seeing as how it's managed by USFS I figured it's "Federal Property". I looked in the door but since I didn't see any check in place I figured I'd just secure it in my vehicle. The park rangers were checking me out too. After getting back from my truck we went in and I chatted with the folks there. They were nice and not weirded out by my firearm. We even talked briefly about the fact they will never have a place to check in a firearm. Watched the movie there then hiked around. Great place, but too many people.

I OCed while we hiked a couple of the trails then headed home.

We stopped in Chehalis and went to Ramblin Jacks Rib Eye. I don't think they noticed my XD. Decent place to eat though.

Last edited:

BradsNineMM

First time was last year at the 2A rally in Olympia. More recently oc at Starbucks, Olympia again and Olympic view park in Federal way where they had some illegal signs. CC at Fred Meyer, Home Depot, Safeway. Give me time, I am new at this!!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
First time was last year at the 2A rally in Olympia. More recently oc at Starbucks, Olympia again and Olympic view park in Federal way where they had some illegal signs. CC at Fred Meyer, Home Depot, Safeway. Give me time, I am new at this!!

Welcome!

Read this thread, for the past 2 years I have OC'd around Federal Way with no issues. Act as though it is no different than a celll phone. Be courteous, be kind, be polite, be professional. Be prepared and understand the 4th amendment.

See you around....

Schlepnier

6/5/11

The weather was warm today so i went OC....

Props to the yelm quizno's, no problems with OC not a word said or question asked.

Additonal props to games workshop outlet-tacoma, same as above

The guy working at the corner arco on south tacoma way/512 interchange did ask me why i had a gun because his kid was there with him and the kid wanted to know if i was in the army...mabey the fact i wear BDU/ACU pants religiously (the original cargo pants).

I explained i wasn't in the army but i was exercising my state rights to open carry and then i went on my way without further question.
:banana:

sirpuma-the new federal regulation allows you to carry in the park itself based on the laws the state the park is located in, however in a typical stroke of "epic fail" they failed to address the fact that park buildings are federal and retain the restrictions imposed for federal office and legal facilities.

Last edited:

Just Us

6/5/11

AMPM portland ave in tacoma

BRADLEY LAKE between 4:30 and 5:00 kicking a soccer ball with my boys + about 10 minutes around the play area. Just a couple bug eyes.

Yes, OC the whole time. Second time at bradley lake in the past month.

tombrewster421

Wonderful OC day today! Started off in Yelm at Mr. Doug's restaurant for breakfast, then on to a local farm supply to get some feed for the chickens. After that I went to a Starbucks on 176th and Meridian. Up to Seattle to get some fenceboards from my uncle. On the way back we stopped at Starbucks on 320th in Federal Way and crossed the street to Panera Bread for lunch. Perused for a while and got a couple of things at TJ Maxx. Then the day got daring, we decided to stop at some of the "questionable places". We went to COSTCO in Fed Way and Regal Cinemas in Lakewood! In between we stopped at Sea Ray to look at some boats. The entire day went off without one single comment and not covering up once. Not even a strange look. As it should be! Looking forward to more days like this in the future. Carry on!