• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Speeding motor cyclist killed by not-speeding cruiser

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I don't believe police should give chase above safe speeds unless a violent crime has been committed. I'm not worried about the safety of the criminal. I'm more worried about the safety of the public and the expense that taxpayers receive cleaning up the wrecks.

"We chase because we don't know what they could have done or why they are running" is a stupid excuse.

But with that said, police are in no way at fault for this riders death. He was an idiot and he made a very bad mistake that cost him his life.
If I had been one of the pursuing officers, I would have gone fast enough to get close enough to get his license plate, then I would have called off the chase and arranged for officers to sit near his home and wait for him to show up.

But maybe that's just me. :)

eye95

If I had been one of the pursuing officers, I would have gone fast enough to get close enough to get his license plate, then I would have called off the chase and arranged for officers to sit near his home and wait for him to show up.

And then what? Give him a lecture? You won't be able to ticket him. And you will have a heckuva time trying to prove felonious flight.

On edit: Considering that most police pursuits result in the quick detention of the pursued car, using stark examples like this one to generalize is kinda stupid.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

well,,,

And then what? Give him a lecture? You won't be able to ticket him. And you will have a heckuva time trying to prove felonious flight.

a lecture, if thats all they can do to the still live knucklehead.
the knucklehead is dead now, cant lecture or ticket him!

foregoing the chance to write the ticket is More than offset by the
extreme danger to the Cops, the public and the knucklehead,
by chasing the knucklehead, for no more reason than the fact
that he was trying to get away!

the reasoning of the Cops for the chase is no better
than the reason a stupid dog chases a car down his street!

scot623

How would you feel when you are called to the scene of deadly car accident where a family was killed by your biker as he was speeding home?

stainless1911

Banned
the reasoning of the Cops for the chase is no better
than the reason a stupid dog chases a car down his street!

Yes, this ^

How would you feel when you are called to the scene of deadly car accident where a family was killed by your biker as he was speeding home?

I'd feel terrible. Now, if I heard a policeman was behind him fueling the fire, I would feel terrible, and angry.

buster81

Should a person feel better if that happens with the police hot on his tail causing him to drive even faster and more recklessly?

HKcarrier

Yeah, you guys are right.. I'm a real cop hater... Oops... I thought I could hide it, but you geniuses have smoked me out!!!

Get real. I don't have any problem with honest, good cops. I do have a problem with the "blue line" they hide behind when one of their own screws up.

If they didn't swerve to block his path, knowing FULL well what the ramifications of such actions would be, (100+mph crash on a motorcycle = death) then RELEASE the fowlerville video to show that the officer got on the highway, maintained a straight heading and didn't swerve or veer into the path of the oncoming bike....

As I have stated, the biker was in the wrong. He was an idiot for running. Regardless, he didn't deserve to be killed on purpose.

Additionally, Scot623, if you think that he was going to kill a van full of kids at 4am by going 30 over the speedlimit, then you seriously aren't the level-headed and logical person I thought you were.

HKcarrier

And what if... and stay with me here... OMG HE DIDN"T GET A TICKET AND GOT TO KEEP HIS LIFE... I know.. weird right?

I know what he did was wrong and he holds a lot of responsibility for it all, but the 2 just don't add up.

Not getting to write a ticket != taking a life

turbodog

For all the police abuses that people bitch about on here, I am pretty surprised to see the "one less idiot" crowd....

And people who say "my kid woudln't do that" you can't know that... it was a bad decision, no doubt.... Your kid wouldn't bump his motorcycle up to 100 "just to see what it was like for a min"? Say he did that, since it was 4am and on a deserted highway... then saw the cop lights and freaked out and said "oh F, dad is going to be PISSED.... well there's no way this cop can catch me... there's no one around... *activate warp speed*...

You got it pegged brother. Ya gotta love all the clueless parents with their "MY kid would NEVER do that!" stuff.
Were humans and we ALL occasionally do something stupid, especially when we're young and bulletproof/stupid.

When it's not happening to us we stand on the moral high ground and go "What an idiot!"

When it's one of ours we go "How could he DO that!"

eye95

And what if... and stay with me here... OMG HE DIDN"T GET A TICKET AND GOT TO KEEP HIS LIFE... I know.. weird right?

I know what he did was wrong and he holds a lot of responsibility for it all, but the 2 just don't add up.

Not getting to write a ticket != taking a life

Oh, well, that's easy. He just doesn't speed and then try to elude the cops.

Were YOU able to stay with me there? :rolleyes:

Moving on.

sudden valley gunner

Oh, well, that's easy. He just doesn't speed and then try to elude the cops.

Were YOU able to stay with me there? :rolleyes:

Moving on.

I am still having a hard time seeing your rationalization for the loss of someone's life.

I mean who did he harm in his "crime". This is something that used to be a solid foundation for American legal system that has now been effectively erased in this country.

HKcarrier

Well eye95 is right about moving on....

We should all just forget about this sort of thing and let it be... until the next time it happens and we'll do it all again...

At least there seems to be more people that value human life than proclaim "idiot!"... somewhat restores my faith in mankind...

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Well eye95 is right about moving on....

We should all just forget about this sort of thing and let it be... until the next time it happens and we'll do it all again...

At least there seems to be more people that value human life than proclaim "idiot!"... somewhat restores my faith in mankind...
Actually, we shouldn't have done it in the first place. It has nothing to do with OCing. Yeah, I know, the mods moved it to the off topic forum. Still, all we've really done is get pissed at one another. It was not a very constructive conversation at all.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

jfrenchudm

My younger brother died in a motorcycle accident last year, and I remember all of the "one less idiot" comments on mlive and other sites, without knowing any of the particulars. In my brother's situation, he was with a bunch of other bikes driving on Dort, and one of their friends was driving her car in the adjacent lane ahead of the bikes. A police cruiser pulled a U to pull them over for speeding (they were exceeding the speed limit by about 15, just like most people in cars do), and the girl in the car hit the brakes and got over into the right lane. My brother, having glanced over at the cruiser next to him, looked forward just in time to see he was going to hit the back of the car (now going 30mph slower than he). People make stupid mistakes all the time, and people die because of their mistakes quite often. Adding danger to the situation as the police did in the OP, is unnecessary, and will often lead to the death of the speed limit offender or innocent bystanders. I have to say that the police can learn from this incident, but they probably wont, because they also take the view that it's "one less idiot."

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
My younger brother died in a motorcycle accident last year, and I remember all of the "one less idiot" comments on mlive and other sites, without knowing any of the particulars. In my brother's situation, he was with a bunch of other bikes driving on Dort, and one of their friends was driving her car in the adjacent lane ahead of the bikes. A police cruiser pulled a U to pull them over for speeding (they were exceeding the speed limit by about 15, just like most people in cars do), and the girl in the car hit the brakes and got over into the right lane. My brother, having glanced over at the cruiser next to him, looked forward just in time to see he was going to hit the back of the car (now going 30mph slower than he). People make stupid mistakes all the time, and people die because of their mistakes quite often. Adding danger to the situation as the police did in the OP, is unnecessary, and will often lead to the death of the speed limit offender or innocent bystanders. I have to say that the police can learn from this incident, but they probably wont, because they also take the view that it's "one less idiot."

Very illustrative of the problem with "enfarcement" over trivialities.