• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spreadsheet to track TEXAS legislators - report your legislators' positions here!

xd45_in_TX

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have the address to Representative-Elect Allen Fletcher for District 130, the web site http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/does not have his info yet but I found another one that has hissnail mail contact info for him.

Representative-Elect Allen Fletcher

P.O. Box 70073
Houston, TX 77270
(281) 252-9311

I have copied the form letter and sent it to him via snail mail.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I find it odd that they are introducing legislation requiring the showing of a permit for carrying a stun gun when there is no requirement to get a permit to carry a stun gun... I must be missing something...

(By the way, your link just went to the search page...)

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Harleyman007 wrote:
I recieved a reply from Able Herrero District 34. The following was his response

Dear Mr. E

[Snip]
it is currently not something the legislature is expected to consider this next session.
[Snip]

Sincerely,
Abel Herrero
Texas state Representative, District 34
We have been told my a few different reps that this IS being introduced this session... We just don't know WHO is sponsoring it yet... And, NO, this is NOT an NRA issue as they are concerned with RIFLES not handguns....:banghead:

jeremya

imported post

Just received this email response from Senator Kirk Watson :
Thank you for your e-mail regarding open carry of handguns in Texas. I appreciate you sharing your views with me.

I have heard from several people, who like you, believe that it is unnecessarily difficult to comply with laws that require citizens to conceal their handguns in public. I appreciate the information you've provided regarding the other states' laws and the FBI study.

I support a citizen’s right to bear arms. I was a co-sponsor of Senate Bill 378, often called the "Castle Doctrine bill," which gave Texans the clear right to use force in self-defense while at home or at work. Additionally, I voted for Senate Bill 534, relating to an employee's right to keep a concealed hand gun locked in his car while parked at work which unfortunately failed to pass.

Thank you for taking the time to write. I will certainly keep your comments regarding the open carrying of handguns in mind as I continue to examine these issues in preparation for the 2009 legislative session. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can ever be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Kirk Watson

-- Jeremya

USAF_firerescue

imported post

This is not going to work with these "Busy" bodies...

Due to the high volume of emails received daily, this automatic response is being sent to confirm that your message has been received. Please be assured that your correspondence is read carefully and your opinion given full consideration.

If you did not include your full name and mailing address, please resend your correspondence with this information.

Again, I appreciate your taking time to contact me about Texas state government issues and look forward to your continued participation in our governmental process.

download

Jeff Wentworth
State Senator, District 25

USAF_firerescue

imported post

Jeff Wentworth State Senator, District 25
Congressional District 21--Congressman Lamar Smith

Both emailed, Canned response so far...

(New Braunfels, TX 78130)

USAF_firerescue

imported post

Sorry about all the posts...

I open-carried in AZ, it was wonderful.

I actually felt that people who you think might be "shady" or equivalent would keep their distance when they saw an open carry.

Its both physical, and psychological.

I was extremely disappointed that this was a CC state only...:cuss:

anLS1x2

imported post

Do the NRA and TSRA really care about handgun laws???

Here is the response from Senator Glenn Hegar District 18:

Thank you for your email. I always appreciate hearing from my constituents.

I fully support Texans' right to carry and defend themselves. For that reason I am proud to say that during all three sessions that I have been a member of the legislature I have carried legislation to increase Texans' right to carry and protect themselves. During the upcoming legislative session, which begins in January of 2009, please be assured that I will work closely with the National Rifle Association and the Texas State Rifle Association to continue increasing individual rights for Texans to carry and defend themselves.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to do so again in the future.

Sincerely,

Senator Glenn Hegar

KBCraig

imported post

anLS1x2 wrote:
Do the NRA and TSRA really care about handgun laws???
Yes. They love them. The more of them there are, the better.

They especially love the handgun laws they've helped write (which is most of them).

What they're not so fond of, is repealing laws or sections of laws that restrict rights. They're rather "improve" them, fine-tune them, and be in control of the whole legislative and lobbying process.

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Crossposting - From a fella on the TGT forum http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...-star-thunder-opencarry-org-2.html#post33450:

Originally Posted by kfriddile
View Post

Got a response in the mail today from my representative who I emailed about OC:

Dear Mr. XXXXX

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding sponsoring legislation that would allow the open carry of handguns. I agree with you and look forward to discussing this issue when the 81st Legislature convenes in January.

Very truly yours,

Brian McCall

Buddah

imported post

I sent the letter to Rep. Larry Phillips and Sen. Estes... no reply at all...

Buddah

imported post

Is there a link to the spreadsheet so we can see who is and is not supporting OC?

rodbender

imported post

Buddah wrote:
Is there a link to the spreadsheet so we can see who is and is not supporting OC?

I'm not sure if anyone can see it except the ones authorized to edit it. You may want to ask akpoff. He's the one that set it up. I think when it gets close to completion that he will post it.

Just keep hammering your stateRep. and stateSenator.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Dennis - I think you guys should post snap shots of the spreadsheet, not grant access to everybody - but that;s up to you all in the Texas open carry working group.

nking

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Well folks here we are getting closer and closer and still no one to sponcer.

Appears we now have nearly 50,000 signatures yet it doesnt meen diddly squat, sure looks and sounds good but just because the coffee smells good doesnt mean it tastes good right.

Look supposedly we have all theses people and reps that support it and we can't get not one rep to sponcer this, just one. I wonder how many reps there are in the state of Texas? What are the odds of not getting someone to pick this up, now i can't speak for anyone else on this forum but i'm gettin a little bit nervous here, and i still havn't recieved the letter from my own Rep and it stinks.

Ok i'm through venting my frustrations with the system now.