• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spreadsheet to track TEXAS legislators - report your legislators' positions here!

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Does anyone have contact information for Sen. Wendy Davis D-TX 10th district?

She defeated incumbent Kim Brimer and I can find no updated contact information for that seat. Sorry...weak google foo.

Thanks.

Buddah

imported post

I sent a "SECOND REQUEST" to Larry Phillips and Craig Estes.

I did note that Estes either sponsored or supported a bill allowing "qualified" teachers to CC on Campus.

GumiBear

Founder's Club Member
imported post

cccook wrote:
Does anyone have contact information for Sen. Wendy Davis D-TX 10th district?

She defeated incumbent Kim Brimer and I can find no updated contact information for that seat. Sorry...weak google foo.

Thanks.

Looks like she is listed as Senator Elect may not get info until she actually takes the seat.

http://www.votesmart.org/bio.php?can_id=108093

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Buddah wrote:
I sent a "SECOND REQUEST" to Larry Phillips and Craig Estes.

I did note that Estes either sponsored or supported a bill allowing "qualified" teachers to CC on Campus.
I haven't gotten anything back from him either.

DavidTexasNRA

imported post

I got a letter back from Todd Smith, District 92:

Thank you for your letter in support of the open carry of firearms. As a member of the National Rifle Association, I have been and will always be a supporter of the second amendment. I am aware of the attention and support hat the open carry movement is garnering from many citizens.

The Texas Constitution, in Article 1, Section 23, says that "Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in lawful defense of himself or the State; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime. I will listen to the debate but certainly intend to support any bills that come up regarding openly carrying a firearm in public.

Again, thank you for your letter. You can be certain your views will be considered if and when a bill addressing open carry comes to the house floor for a vote. I consider it an honor to serve you and the people of District 92

What he DIDN'T say was that he would sponsor or co-sponsor a bill authorizing open carry...no one seems to want to grab the hot potatoe and actually submit the bill.

Conagher

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Senator Bob Deuell District 2 stated he would review and support whatever the majority of his constituents wanted. So if you are in District 2, please contact him.

Representative Dan Flynn District 2. Really disappointed in the lack of response after emails, formal letters and phone calls to his office since I know he is generally pro-gun. The only non-generic reply I have received is the following after several follow-ups:

I have not forgotten about you. I forwarded this note to our Austin office. Dan will looking at this issue as the session convenes.

Thank you,

Janice Melton

Constituent Services

Representative Dan Flynn - District 2

Elattoo

imported post

MyState Representative is Dennis Bonnen,House District 25.

I emailed him earlier this month andIreceived a prompt and personal reply.

He mailed me an ink signed letter.He thanked me for the information and assured me that a bill proposing open carry would have his full support.

I'll post the actual letter as soon as I fish it out of whatever dark recess it seems to be hiding in.

Buddah

imported post

Is there a chance someone can post a list of "responders" and "non responders".

I'm areally disappointedin those who just don't respond and I think we should let them know at the polls..

n5yzv

imported post

So is it just me or is Doug Miller and Jeff Wentworth....well....worthless?

Derekhie

imported post

Response I received from Texas State Senator Leticia Van de Putte...

February 18, 2009

Dear Constituent and Friend,

Thank you for contacting our office about this important issue. I am always glad when constituents take the time and effort to get involved in the legislative process. At this time I still do not plan on introducing any new legislation regarding the right to openly carry firearms and would be hesitant to support others who do. I strongly support the right to own and carry concealed weapons. However, I feel that permitting the open carry of firearms could introduce unintended consequences. Specifically, the San Antonio Police Department and other law enforcement members are also concerned that this could provide easy access to such a dangerous weapon. A firearm worn on someone's hip is much more accessible than one worn under a jacket or in an ankle holster. Many gun owners take pride in being able to properly handle their weapon however there are just too many people out there who could use this accessibility to their advantage.

Again, thank you for contacting my office and please continue to share any other concerns that you might have.

Once again, thank you for contacting me. I look forward to serving San Antonio and the state of Texas with dignity and responsibility. Please continue to participate in the legislative process by communicating any other concerns that you might have so that, together, we can make sound policy decisions.

Sincerely,

Leticia Van de Putte, R.Ph.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Derekhie wrote:

February 18, 2009

Thank you for contacting our office about this important issue. I am always glad when constituents take the time and effort to get involved in the legislative process. At this time I still do not plan on introducing any new legislation regarding the right to openly carry firearms and would be hesitant to support others who do. I strongly support the right to own and carry concealed weapons. However, I feel that permitting the open carry of firearms could introduce unintended consequences. Specifically, the San Antonio Police Department and other law enforcement members are also concerned that this could provide easy access to such a dangerous weapon. A firearm worn on someone's hip is much more accessible than one worn under a jacket or in an ankle holster. Many gun owners take pride in being able to properly handle their weapon however there are just too many people out there who could use this accessibility to their advantage.

Again, thank you for contacting my office and please continue to share any other concerns that you might have.

Once again, thank you for contacting me. I look forward to serving San Antonio and the state of Texas with dignity and responsibility. Please continue to participate in the legislative process by communicating any other concerns that you might have so that, together, we can make sound policy decisions.

Sincerely,

What a LAME excuse! Ask them to cite one instance in all the states that have open carry where this happened!

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Derekhie wrote:

February 18, 2009

I strongly support the right to own and carry concealed weapons. However, I feel that permitting the open carry of firearms could introduce unintended consequences. Specifically, the San Antonio Police Department and other law enforcement members are also concerned that this could provide easy access to such a dangerous weapon. A firearm worn on someone's hip is much more accessible than one worn under a jacket or in an ankle holster. Many gun owners take pride in being able to properly handle their weapon however there are just too many people out there who could use this accessibility to their advantage.

Sincerely,

This is the typical response we'll get from big city legislators who rely on law enforcement opinions for new gun legislation. This is straight out of san antonio police not liking citizens open carrying.

SANDCREEK

imported post

Apparently not ONE LONE "RANGER" Texas legislator has thepersonal "grit" to sponsor this bill in order to accord the people of Texas the opportunity to have the pros & cons debated in Austin. Texans need exposure to open carry. Existing legal allowances need to be excercised at every opportunity.

JB743

imported post

If the bill has been filed how come Riddle says she wont introduce it this session.