• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

state farm lawyer appointment regarding my burglary

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I liked the legal aid society suggestion. No idea if it would pan out, though.

Realize, too, that by you getting a lawyer, they may decide to settle. A lawyer on your side will be able to correctly evaluate whether their "evidence" would stand up to scrutiny in court. For example, the forum postings should still be on-line. A judge or jury can evaluate it for themselves. An attorney on your side will know how the "evidence" will play in court. And State Farm's attorney will know. Thus, the SF attorney will know that your atty actually knows. Suddenly, the playing field will be much closer to level.

Maybe SF will still try to limit their payout to less than obligated, but they will suddenly dropany nonsense "evidence", because their attorney will realize your attorney is no dummy and can correctly evaluate the situation.

Don't overlook the fact that the criminal accusations are maybe just bluff to put you off, with no real intention of actually trying use the evidence. One thing that makes me think this is that you have not, in all the time that has passed, been indicted for insurance fraud. If they really thought you were a crook, truly thought it, and if theirevidence is so good, why didn't they refer it to a prosecutor for a grand jury? You see how this tends to show that even they don't believe you're a fraud, and tends to show that they know their evidence won't hold up in court?

It may also be that they don't really know for sure. But, figure if they raise the specter of fraud, if you are actually guilty, you will be scared off your claim.

For the forum in general: Anybody have any idea how it would play for an "insured" to fire back something like: "OK. Lets see how this goes. I'm going to the State Insurance Commission. Lets see how your self-described "evidence" holds water with them. You can pay me, try your luck in criminal court by prosecuting me, or put up with a regulatory investigation that must cost $10K. Its your call. I'm not a fraud. I know it.And, you know it. I'm calling your bluff."

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, the good news is that we all know now how crooked State Farm Insurance is and will never recommend them to our friends and family (but maybe relatives...). In fact, we'd do just the opposite, we'd strongly urge people away from SF. My employer tracks their "net promoter/net detractor" score with past customers and I'm sure that SF has something along the same lines.

I was thinking too that we could start calling the office of your agent, or the regional office looking for insurance, but then mention that you've heard that SF isscrewing over someguywho had his tools stolen andare skeptical that SF can provide a quality service. There's a bunch ofus here, and it works with store owners.

ETA:

You could always try to call Clark Howard @clarkhoward.com!

State Farm ranks as #4 worst insurer in America by trial lawyers! http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/07/allstate_lawyers.html

scorpio_vette

imported post

Honestly as much as i want to fight for my tools, i don't know where to go. i've never gotten anything but screwed unless i did things myself. obviously state farm has enough money to afford the best lawyers since they never seem to pay their customers for losses, and i don't have the muscle to fight that. and i definitely don't have the money to afford that kinda muscle. i don't have any faith in most of these "free services" or "aids", because my wife and me have either always been turned down by them, given the run-around to the point of uselessness, or they've made things worse.

at this point i don't believe there is any way that i can come up with enough muscle to fight them, and am just going to resort to sitting here and praying to god that they either go bankrupt in the next year or get hit by a meteor and seize to exist. state farm has obviously proven once again that they have no interest in your well being and only want you around long enough to take your money. i just wish i had known this earlier.

if nothing else comes from this, there is one good part about this whole ordeal. my wife has FINALLY learned that you CAN'T trust people and SPECIALLY the ones that claim they're there to help you such as cops, lawyers, insurance and anything else government, political or otherwise related. for years i've been telling you how these people are only out to get your and screw you out of everything you work for, and she never believed me. last night she was crying and said she couldn't believe how they could take a victim and turn them into such criminals and discredit us like that.

i can already tell that my wife has a completely different look on her face and doesn't have that innocent trusting face anymore. she has FINALLY seen the REAL WORLD.

Serpent

imported post

In this entire forum, I CANNOT believe there is not a single attorney that would be willing to help Scorpio-vette write a letter, give him a bit of advice, or even spend an hour or two representing him in a meeting with the insurance company. His claim may not be gun related, but come on people! Most of us have been in a tough spot ourselves, I've had to sell some of my guns to survive before (hopefully never again). I'd be willing to send the guy a few bucks to offset the cost of getting the ball rolling. If he wins his claim though I might make him buy me coffee at Starbucks. ;)

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Seeking balance and again posting the downside of State Farm

http://www.scfirearms.org/Merchants/StateFarm/default.htm

http://www.google.com/search?q=farm+site:scfirearms.org

SF stood between me and Joe the Leg-breaker from Holiday Rent-a-Car after their POS Hundai Elantra exploded in a zero miles per hour collision.

SF paid, no questions asked, after my home east of US-17 in SC was damaged by Hurricane Hugo.

SF made(!) me take money for damage to my sailboat after Hurricane Hugo. To me the damage was part of the cost of sailing and of having my boat in the water and on anchors during a hurricane.

Part of my move to Wisconsin from South Carolina was due to the huge reduction in our living expenses that includes State Farm insurance premiums.

scorpio_vette

imported post

Serpent wrote:
In this entire forum, I CANNOT believe there is not a single attorney that would be willing to help Scorpio-vette write a letter, give him a bit of advice, or even spend an hour or two representing him in a meeting with the insurance company. His claim may not be gun related, but come on people! Most of us have been in a tough spot ourselves, I've had to sell some of my guns to survive before (hopefully never again). I'd be willing to send the guy a few bucks to offset the cost of getting the ball rolling. If he wins his claim though I might make him buy me coffee at Starbucks. ;)

thanks for the thought serpent, but don't sweat it. as i said somewhere before, all the lawyers quoted me upwards of $10,000 for a case like this. which to me means there could be alot of time tied up in this. and nobody wants to invest that kind of time/money without getting something back, so it doesn't surprise me that nobody wants to help me here or anywhere else. i'm not really upset about that. look at it this way. i wouldn't mind helping somebody doing some work on their house for free. but i wouldn't build the entire house for them for free just because that's what i do for a living. know what i mean???

the only people i'm upset at is the guys that stole from me, state farm who is screwing me, and the lawyer who obviously is more concerned about getting paid than finding the true criminals.

BerettaFS92Custom

imported post

Scorpio why not file a complaint with

http://oci.wi.gov/com_form.htm

Just tell SF to FO while you file a complaint with the State of Wisconsin insurance Comissioner.

Bet they change the tune then and of course i would file it regardless.

you paid your premiums they should own up to the end of thier bargain as well.

was a police report taken? did the police suspect you did what they are accusing you of?

get er done :)

BerettaFS92Custom

imported post

that the insurance company is not doing the settlement fast and prompt. imagine he used these tools for his business / or every day to make money. they are shitting on him so is a complaint not in order? i would be pissed as hell if i depended on the tools and they were stonewalling me. is That not the correct department to complain to ? or do we have no rights.

BerettaFS92Custom

imported post

ok doug since you are so smart hows about you tell him what should happen? do you think the insurance company should have the power and ability to screw him over? the has to be some agency, politician or someone who can help this gentleman

use some of them dere big words you spout and help the guy out.

and i do not need you to spout your prose to me

put your mouth up and help him or go troll somewhere else

imported post

BerettaFS92Custom wrote:
ok doug since you are so smart hows about you tell him what should happen? do you think the insurance company should have the power and ability to screw him over? the has to be some agency, politician or someone who can help this gentleman
use some of them dere big words you spout and help the guy out.
and i do not need you to spout your prose to me
put your mouth up and help him or go troll somewhere else
http://oci.wi.gov/consinfo.htm

http://oci.wi.gov/com_form.htm

What You Should Know Before Filing a Complaint
The Office of the Commissioner of Insurance assists complainants with their insurance problems. A copy of your complaint will be sent to the company or agent with a request to respond directly to you and to advise our office of the action taken. You should hear from the company or agent in about 25 days from the date you send us your complaint. When we receive the information from the company or agent, we will review the file to determine what action we can take. We will notify you of our determination. If our office is unable to obtain the resolution you desired, you may consider contacting a private attorney for advice. If your complaint involved a claim dispute, you may want to contact your county's small claims court.
Please be advised that under Wisconsin's Open Records Law all information you provide may become a public record once the file is closed. Only actual medical records obtained from a health care provider are confidential under s. 146.82, Wis. Stat. As a result, you should omit or mark out any confidential or personal information such as Social Security Numbers prior to submitting it to our

imported post

I'll tell a parable.

I have a neighbor that is very special to our Island and to me. He was a merchant mariner and served aboard a ship that loaded and transported war material from Iran, Iraq and ports in that area. He has many health complaints. He blames them on 'contaminated' cargo. I write letters for him. I answer questions as best as I can. But I can't lie to him and tell him that there is a cause and effect relation in his experiences but only coincidence (incidents close in time and place).

I might finish later but dinner is ready.

M

McX

imported post

the master that is doug, has spoke; put the heel upon them from behind. someone better pick up on this bit of info. and give it back to the one to use against the insurance company- thus feel free to acknowedge here:bump?

imported post

Thanks. I might finish my story tomorrow but for now I'm going to enjoy my dinner wine, music and the children playing around their keyboards. It is so comforting.

The wine is Cavit Pinot Noir. The music is Celtic Melodies. The dinner was Country Style Ribs with secret sauce, baked apples, corn muffins with my private label water that is as close to perfect as I can make and the wine.

Constitutionalist

imported post

A few things to do:

1. File a complaint with the state.

2. Tell them to pay you, or refer the case to the police/DA for prosecution if they have so much evidence you committed fraud.