• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

state farm lawyer appointment regarding my burglary

MKEgal

imported post

I have Erie insurance, and have just emailed them through their website asking
a) if replacement cost for a stolen gun is covered,
b) if my liability covers my legal self-defense shooting of a criminal, and
c) if I had some land in the country would there be a problem with me setting up a target shooting range.

I did find this [http://www.erieinsurance.com/homeowners/ultracover_xtra.aspx] which says in part:
An Ultracover policy secures you and your family with over 50 Xtra protection features, including:
Coverage up to $3,000 for theft, misplacing or losing of guns and related equipment.

so I guess the answer to a is yes, since I have the ultra policy.

Krysta

-

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

Concealed weapons holder applications are public record. If you don't have one they have probably spoken with people who know you, or have been staking you out watching your actions and saw you OC'ing. $30,000 is a lot to pay out but they might figure they can pay a private dick a couple thousand to prove you did something fraudulent and save some $.

I wouldn't go to their office without an attorney present, and that goes for your wife also. You can bet they are going to record the conversation or have a legal rep present. You have the right to have an attorney present to protect your insterests as well.

EDIT: Wisconsin is a one-party consent state. Since you can't find a lawyer under 10K you should at leastuse a hidden recorder to document the discussion. In a one-party consent state, recording a conversation that you are a party to is legal so long as you give your consent to being recorded. Not that it will keep you from saying the wrong thing and screwing yourself, but their legal rep has been trained to twist things around and construe what you say to mean something else. That's why he'll be there and why they pay him big $. Cover your ass.

M

McX

imported post

and on another note; saw in the paper here locally, store owner shot to death, found him dead in his store. no leads. and they wonder why i carry?!

M

McX

imported post

well, anyway, i think we gave the guy with insurance problems alot of good advice, and information. i know i studied and learned. i just hope things resolve out well for him. he's a good guy, he came and visited at the shop- carrying, and nothing happened, nothing at all. just alot of pleasant conversation, sharing of ideas, and thoughts. but i bet it will be an uphill battle for him with the insurance company; the way things have gotten have empowered the politically correct ones who hide behind their desks, always quoting; it's not my fault, i didn't do it. we should poll here, and see how many have been the victim of this new game.