• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Surry County Commonwealth's Attorney

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
And you actually believe justice will bne served upon this drunk driver? ;>) Right.

I doubt anything will be done, allowing him to drive drunk and endanger the public again, and again, and again.......

Take the justice issue up with Jim - he's the one who brought it up:

Whatever happened to the concept of "Justice delayed is justice denied?" In this case, it is justice for the community, not for the offender!

I'm whining about not getting Pierce's BBQ. Some of us know which are the priorities here. :p

stay safe.

scouser

I'm whining about not getting Pierce's BBQ. Some of us know which are the priorities here. :p

stay safe.

There's nothing stopping you suggesting a road trip some time this summer. Start with a late breakfast at Allmans, follow that with refreshments at Carls and then a drive down 17 to Yorktown before taking the Colonial Parkway towards Williamsburg for a late lunch/early dinner at Pierces.

Or even a road trip to either location after breakfast one Saturday?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
There's nothing stopping you suggesting a road trip some time this summer. Start with a late breakfast at Allmans, follow that with refreshments at Carls and then a drive down 17 to Yorktown before taking the Colonial Parkway towards Williamsburg for a late lunch/early dinner at Pierces.

Or even a road trip to either location after breakfast one Saturday?

Do you not remember what happened the last time I headed out just to get lunch in Williamsburg?

stay safe.

Repeater

Va. prosecutors start 'best practices' effort for better justice, fewer errors

I wonder what all of you -- and user, too -- would offer as 'Best Practices' -- how about a better way to get rid of bad prosecutors?

Va. prosecutors start 'best practices' effort for better justice, fewer errors
Commonwealth’s attorneys across Virginia have created a “best practices” committee aimed at improving the justice system, better protecting the innocent while holding the guilty accountable and polishing the image of prosecutors.

Officially launched last month, the Committee on Justice and Professionalism of the 120-member Virginia Association of Commonwealth’s Attorneys is one of at least 15 similar efforts across the nation and arrives at a time when some prosecutors in Virginia and elsewhere have come under fire for real or perceived misconduct.

Perceived? Anyone have a bad encounter with Paul Ebert?
Criticism, deserved or not, comes with the territory for elected prosecutors.

Lunsford and Herring are among many who have been criticized by defense lawyers.

Others, like Prince William County’s Paul B. Ebert, considered the dean of Virginia’s commonwealth’s attorneys, have been rebuked by federal judges. Ebert has denied any wrongdoing.

See here, a bit of honesty:
Not all complaints come from predictable corners, as evidenced by a recent piece in The Times of Shreveport, La., by A.M. “Marty” Stroud III, who prosecuted a man sentenced to death 30 years ago and exonerated last month.

Stroud conceded: “In 1984, I was 33 years old. I was arrogant, judgmental, narcissistic and very full of myself. I was not as interested in justice as I was in winning.

The meeting do appear to be open to the public:
So far, there have been three committee meetings.

Lunsford said one topic has been police body cameras, a development that raises many issues for the entire justice system — including what happens to the videos, how they are provided to defense attorneys and provisions for access and maintenance.

The next committee meeting is set for May 28 at the University of Richmond.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
REMINDER - it's this Friday!

Still shows as being docketed for 5/14.

https://eapps.courts.state.va.us/gd...93179&clientSearchCounter=3&localFipsCode=830

Traffic/Criminal Case Details
Case/Defendant Information
Case Number : GC14011237-00 Filed Date : 12/01/2014 Locality : COMMONWEALTH OF VA
Name : POINDEXTER, GERALD G Status : Released On Recognizance Defense Attorney : KELLEY, P
Address : ELBERON, VA 23846 AKA1 : AKA2 :
Charge Information
Charge : DWI, 1ST
Code Section : A.18.2-266 Case Type : Misdemeanor Class : 1
Offense Date : 11/29/2014 Arrest Date : 11/29/2014 Complainant : SLODYSKO, OFF. J
Amended Charge : Amended Code : Amended Case Type :
Hearing Information
Date Time Result Hearing Type Courtroom Plea Continuance Code
12/09/2014 08:30 AM Continued
02/17/2015 02:00 PM Continued
03/19/2015 02:00 PM Continued
05/14/2015 10:00 AM 2

stay safe.

FBrinson

Still shows as being docketed for 5/14.

https://eapps.courts.state.va.us/gd...93179&clientSearchCounter=3&localFipsCode=830

Traffic/Criminal Case Details
Case/Defendant Information
Case Number : GC14011237-00 Filed Date : 12/01/2014 Locality : COMMONWEALTH OF VA
Name : POINDEXTER, GERALD G Status : Released On Recognizance Defense Attorney : KELLEY, P
Address : ELBERON, VA 23846 AKA1 : AKA2 :
Charge Information
Charge : DWI, 1ST
Code Section : A.18.2-266 Case Type : Misdemeanor Class : 1
Offense Date : 11/29/2014 Arrest Date : 11/29/2014 Complainant : SLODYSKO, OFF. J
Amended Charge : Amended Code : Amended Case Type :
Hearing Information
Date Time Result Hearing Type Courtroom Plea Continuance Code
12/09/2014 08:30 AM Continued
02/17/2015 02:00 PM Continued
03/19/2015 02:00 PM Continued
05/14/2015 10:00 AM 2

stay safe.

I was planning on going then my boss said he wanted to spend some time with me tomorrow. Lucky me...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I was planning on going then my boss said he wanted to spend some time with me tomorrow. Lucky me...
I'll be in attendance and also for the hoped for party after.

Used to have a similar problem, so I quit and thereby forced the business to shut down - was a sole proprietor operation...........mine.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
ok first it was today thurs not tomorrow fri

plead guilty to dui
$250 fine
90 days all suspended 2 years
complete asap in 12 months
ignition interlock
restricted dl work church dr appointments

no dl dismissed w costs showed dl

as sick as he looks he still recognized us was not overjoyed to see us

lunch at pierces included bbq for user it was good

stay safe

sent from pierces on my dumb phone

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
ok first it was today thurs not tomorrow fri

plead guilty to dui
$250 fine
90 days all suspended 2 years
complete asap in 12 months
ignition interlock
restricted dl work church dr appointments

no dl dismissed w costs showed dl

as sick as he looks he still recognized us was not overjoyed to see us

lunch at pierces included bbq for user it was good

stay safe

sent from pierces on my dumb phone
Hope and pray that he screws up and is required to do his 90 days penance.

That alone made the trip worthwhile.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Back home again. Route there & back totally by land - no voyages across navigatable waters involved.

Again, mea culpa on mixing up the days of the week.:banghead: But at least I kinda sorta saved myself by posting the docket info with the calendar date.

Poindexter was the only case heard while we were there. Nothing else docketed till the afternoon.

For me the best part was listening to the judge declaim that he does not want someone getting in trouble over a restricted license because they did not ask for permission to do X or Y. They adjusted the "to work" exemption to mean both from home to & from the courthouse and from home to & from his law office.

We heard a sob story about his failing health. It was so terrible that I started wondering if his DL would be taken due to the danger his diabeetus presents.:D No such luck.:(

While I'm sure nobody who could do anything about it will notice, but permision was not granted to drive to & from ASAP.:uhoh:

Also found out (I know, TMI) that his continuances were because he had a subdural hematoma and then surgery to fix it. Given how whipped and wiped out he looked I wonder if they might have nicked a bit of the functioning part that was not yet pickled.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Good for James City county.
Call me hard hearted but I didn't see any sympathy for Skid's health while he was playing racial games so I can't say I give a damn about his medical problems....Diabetics shouldn't be drinking anyway.

user

Accomplished Advocate
$250, no jail, one year on the license w/vasap - that was a good deal for Gerald. On a plea with no jail in most places, he'd have gotten double that fine, at least, and in some parts of Virginia, there's always at least a couple of days of jail.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
$250, no jail, one year on the license w/vasap - that was a good deal for Gerald. On a plea with no jail in most places, he'd have gotten double that fine, at least, and in some parts of Virginia, there's always at least a couple of days of jail.

Which reminds me I forgot the best part -

They brought in a substitute judge who commented about not wanting to deny anybody anything they are entitled to on a restricted license because they did not know they could ask for it. Was the fix in?

stay safe.