• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

tacoma mall incident, first post, etc, could use some advice.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
But it is also very possible to be recorded by a third party that has no idea we are seeking privacy not on purpose but just because we happen to be in a public place.

While it is possible, I think it is a bit much to move to the adjective of 'very' possible. Just because there is a mere possibility of interception does not render our communication public.

A communication is private when (1) the communicating parties manifest a subjective intention that it be private and (2) that expectation is reasonable. Christensen, 153 Wn.2d at 193. Factors bearing on the reasonableness of the privacy expectation include the duration and subject matter of the communication, the location of the communication and the potential presence of third parties, and the role of the non consenting party and his or her relationship to the consenting party. Townsend, 147 Wn.2d at 673-74. But the mere possibility that interception of the communication is technologically feasible does not render public a communication that is otherwise private. Townsend, 147 Wn.2d at 674.

sudden valley gunner

But it is also very possible to be recorded by a third party that has no idea we are seeking privacy not on purpose but just because we happen to be in a public place.

While it is possible, I think it is a bit much to move to the adjective of 'very' possible. Just because there is a mere possibility of interception does not render our communication public.

I think you are both right here. I could record you two inn the corner with a video with audio capabilities, and would probably not be culpable of committing a crime. But either one of you two might be especially if there was an effort to make the conversation private.

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

I think you are both right here. I could record you two inn the corner with a video with audio capabilities, and would probably not be culpable of committing a crime. But either one of you two might be especially if there was an effort to make the conversation private.

I think we are barking up two different trees.

amlevin

Today everything has become so public with all the security cameras, cell phone cameras, and who knows what else, I would hesitate doing or saying anything in public that I didn't want shared. Same for scratching or "adjusting" yourself in public.

Jeff Hayes

Today everything has become so public with all the security cameras, cell phone cameras, and who knows what else, I would hesitate doing or saying anything in public that I didn't want shared. Same for scratching or "adjusting" yourself in public.

+1